Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Left handed, living in a right man's world. » Archive through February 25, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lpg
Username: Lpg

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you ain't a lefty, you ain't right !

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 18692
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas...you need to unconvince yourself that a speech impediment was inflicted upon you by being forced to use your right hand. Besides being false, it is a victim's mentality that is counterproductive.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7734
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice diagnosis based on a couple of sentences on an internet forum, do you need a Medicare number or something to bill her?

Ccbatson

Post Number: 18760
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speech impediments are never caused by the circumstances described.

No charge.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7741
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never? What circumstances might?

Maybe thinking about about things that seem unrelated but actually are, hurt your head?

Thank others for advancing science. Who would have thought ingesting a peanut could lead to so many consequences with your mindset?

Classicyesfan
Username: Classicyesfan

Post Number: 498
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CC says: "Speech impediments are never caused by the circumstances described. No charge."

I am starting to doubt that you are a "doctor". Clearly you are not a speech pathologist, nor do you have enough background.

For your info, the causes of stuttering have NOT been fully understood or identified. BUT, there is a psychological factor involved that would easily be triggered by stressful relationships with the world.

From the "Encyclopedia Of Mental Disorders":

"Finally, environmental issues have a significant impact on the development of stuttering behaviors. An environment that is overly stressful or demanding, may cause children to have difficulties developing fluent speech."

Research provided at no cost if you retract your ridiculous statement, otherwise it's the standard office visit charge.

Cease and desist your practice of offering medical advice for those conditions in which you have no training or credentials. I have no idea what that leaves you, perhaps you can write Cliff notes for "Atlas Shrugged". I would enjoy Wordsworth more but that's just a preference in creative literature.

(Message edited by classicyesfan on February 14, 2009)

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Classicyesfan, is the idea here that the advice is not actually medical?

Granted, it is odd for a Doctor to advise in this manner and on a public internet forum no less. If a patient was involved, bedside manner might be questionable.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 18774
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psychologic factors, yes, training a left handed person to be right handed? No.

If the person were that frail, a speech impediment would be the least of their concerns.

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 506
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CC says: "Psychologic factors, yes, training a left handed person to be right handed? No.
If the person were that frail, a speech impediment would be the least of their concerns."

That's much too simplistic an assessment. You are clearly not qualified to offer opinions on the the topic of stuttering.

Are you even aware of the 4 conjectured causes that work in tandum, and the preponderance of genetics?

You are way off base. I've offered research, you've offered hearsay from a supposed medical professional.

I await your proof, otherwise my proof stands.

Reread and understand this time:

"Finally, environmental issues have a significant impact on the development of stuttering behaviors. An environment that is overly stressful or demanding, may cause children to have difficulties developing fluent speech."

What part of "training a lefthander to be righthanded" is NOT overly stressful or demanding?

Stop tilting at liberal internet windmills for a minute and do some homework. Show that you are indeed a qualified medical professional. So far, it appears that I am more qualified. That's sad considering I am IT guy.

And, if you have nothing substantial to offer, why do you bother replying? Do you just like seeing "CCBATSON" in the righthanded column? Get it?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1939
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CCBatson, you're obviously not qualified to respond here. Are you presenting yourself as a medical doctor? Any particular specialty? Still in school? Still an intern?

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 509
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East_Detroit,

Stutterers have suffered stigmas, judgements, ill-conceived treatments, and they and their families are apparently still subjected to quack (NOT QUAKER) advice. There is no excuse acceptable for tossing off quick diagnoses that might color people's perceptions of this malady. It's so complex that even the most advanced practitioners are still baffled. That's why I find CC's pat answers so objectionable in this case. Some mature effort is needed, not quick "dit dat dit-tum dat-tum" prank responses.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1943
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, so I would like to know his qualifications.

I don't recall seeing him in any psycholinguistics grad classes at Wayne, but maybe he was hiding.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 379
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just yesterday my husband, a southpaw, complained that the new packaging for Head & Shoulders shampoo is designed for right-handed people.

Some of my husband's siblings are lefties as well. An older sister, who showed left handed tendencies as a child, was "corrected" by teachers in school to be right handed. To this day, the sister is a klutz. Family lore is that the reason behind the klutziness is that she was not allowed naturally to be left-handed.

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 994
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As mentioned above, I have to sit to the left of my wife when we are eating.
Magazines don't make sense to me. I naturally pick them up and release the pages with my left thumb which means I look at the magazine from back to front.
I learned to play the drumset and play golf right handed before I knew they could be played left handed. Maybe I could've been good!

Ccbatson

Post Number: 18834
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Life is stressful and demanding. What do you suggest be done with someone who stutters? Put them in a sheltered environment without stress? What will you end up with then? A useless shut in...but at least (according to you) they will not stutter.

Don't you see how harmful that thinking is?

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 521
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would advise stutterers and their keepers to seek the help of a real speech pathologist, and not ask for advice from a supposed doctor who has time to troll "der internets".

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One idea that works well is mainstreaming. At my neighborhood school, mildly disabled children are "mainstreamed" in with the other children at the classroom level. Surprisingly, aptitude statistics have shown that the non-disabled children do not suffer.

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 525
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vetal, that's a wonderful way to begin teaching tolerance of the differently-abled, and to encourage appreciation of diversity. Isn't this one of the many reasons, though, that many of the rightwing conservatives are putting their children into private religious schools? The fear of the "different"....

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We selected our neighborhood in part because of the school. My children are not disabled, and they both attended this school since kindergarten. We are very satisfied. Several PTA officers have the disabled children. Almost all of the children embrace the mildly disabled and it is a beautiful sight to behold. And on the playground you see the children smiling and helping the disabled kids to play with everyone else.

And don't forget the value to the mildly disabled child either. School staff tell me the immersion aids the children in becoming confident and independent.

Mopardan
Username: Mopardan

Post Number: 168
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little insomnia & I found something for you left-handers to crow about.
Are lefties better at sports?
http://health.howstuffworks.co m/left-handed-sports.htm
I found the "Left Handed Fist" topic very interesting because one of my brothers was a lefty; he showed me how to defend myself as one. It definitely worked to my advantage in scrapes I got into.
Happy reading!

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 181
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting article, Mopardan.

"Unless you happen to live in a culture where southpaws are still persecuted as witches, you'll quickly find them talking up just how freaking awesome they think they are."

After reading that, I realize now that I am not so freaking awesome as I once thought. hahaaa

When my goofball friends and I used to loaf around in the park gettin' high and chasin' girls, we would always toss the frisbee around. I, being the freaking awesome athlete that I was, could catch that thing in any manner imaginable. Until another lefty joined the group. When he threw it, I might as well have been trying to catch it with my feet. I knew it was because the thing was spinning in the opposite direction to which i was accustomed.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 18975
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Left handedness is not a disability.

Stuttering, and other pathologies of speech, when severe and impairing enough, should absolutely be addressed by therapy (I never said otherwise).

What I was saying is that blaming such an affliction on stress (being forced to use your right hand when left handed), is, at best, a useless crutch, and at worst a defeatist and destructive cop out.

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 545
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What I was saying is that blaming such an affliction on stress (being forced to use your right hand when left handed), is, at best, a useless crutch, and at worst a defeatist and destructive cop out."

Not according to mental health professionals as cited above. Again, we cheerfully request that you please post your reference material as I have done earlier.

If you cannot do so, please stop contributing to the general misunderstanding of the one of recognized psycholgocial contributing factors in many stutterers. Really, you are doing them a disservice and you are not looking so great yourself in the process.

Again, let me repeat, post your evidence. Otherwise we shall be forced to continue disregarding your posts as being more cold and mean-spirited attacks on the less advantaged among us.

What kind of doctor are you, btw? I don't recall your credentials. Do you have any training in speech pathology or mental disorders? Just curious, as it seems that trained health practitioners would have more empathy for their clients and more understanding of the maladies. Just saying....the inmates people seem to know more than the warden. The emperor's clothes and all that....you know.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19000
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those professionals that you are referring to are wrong on this one.

PM@R, yes, that includes SLP prescription and treatment oversight.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2799
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty here as well. Damn right angles!!! ; )

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8564
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Those professionals that you are referring to are wrong on this one"

experts always are when the disagree with the ever-wise, ever-knowledgeable ccBatson.

I would like to see the research on this issue. citations, anyone?

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19002
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is common sense. Academics are usually weak in that department.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1992
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You stated a falsehood about a potential relationship between stuttering and social pressures (specifically the pressure to change natural handedness). I asked for your qualifications as you presented yourself as someone with professional knowledge. You have not issued your qualifications herein, so I accept your implied admission that you were incorrect.

Stating that a personal assertion reflects "common sense" is weak and unacceptable.

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 553
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cc says: "Those professionals that you are referring to are wrong on this one."

And, your professionals would be?

And, your credentials for speech diagnostics are?

Oh, wait a minute, we asked that several times already. Clearly we are not going to obtain such evidence.

That's tacit admittance on your part of lack thereof and my evidence stands alone.

Please do not offer "advice" that might contribute to future misunderstanding of the maladies.

Where's the beef, ccbatson? Everyone's calling you out here.

(Message edited by classicyesfan on February 24, 2009)

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8572
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Academics are usually weak in that department"

which department? the one(s) in which they have been accumulating years of experience and knowledge?