Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » 2012 Republican presidential hopefuls » Archive through March 06, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6748
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Firstandten, that's what I'm calling out too.

I'm not at all condoning the people calling Barack Obama, Barry or by his middle name. I find that disrespectful because that's not what HE goes by.

Obviously Jindal doesn't go by Piyush because it's his choice- and not for any of us to judge. If someone named Stephen wants to be called Steve, isn't calling him Stephen disrespectful as well? Same applies to Mr. Jindal here doesn't it?? It has absolutely nothing to do with legal names or such- it has to do with just simple respect to that person.

I'm not saying I agree with his position that he took on television either but calling Jindal, "Piyush" is just the same as the neocons calling Obama, "Hussein". It's not incorrect but just disrespectful. We can surely skewer his weak speech without having to resort being rude, can't we?? That seems like such a cheap Rush Limbaugh (ewww!) sort of thing to do. Since when did Bobby or any other common name suddenly become a bad thing?

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 142
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The way I look at it, we just got rid of an infestation of carpenter ants and now were discussing the best way to get them back.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19104
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the only criticism from the opposition on the left is this trivia, we know they are stymied and frustrated by the concepts....a very good sign. Akin to attacking Mitt Romney for being Mormon.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 732
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy I agree with your point the only thing I was trying to illustrate is that respect is a two way street and its seems a few months back some posters to this board and others forgot about that and sometimes a loving reminder is needed.

Cc The left doesn't like Mitt because he's a republican , its the right that doesn't like him because he's Mormon.

(Message edited by firstandten on March 01, 2009)

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19112
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yet they liked McCain over Romney. Why? They fear Romney...a good sign.

The efforts in the liberal media to "out" his religion were from the left BTW.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6749
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Romney's religion was a known quantity for a very long time already. What was there to "out"? And yet he still couldn't get the nod from the Republicans? Are we saying that the Republicans actually believed in the demonizing of Romney?

Firstandten

Post Number: 734
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cc I just love when you throw stuff out there knowing you can't back it up

"According to political scientist and commentator Larry Sabato, "One reason Romney pulled out of South Carolina was that he could not overcome the palpable prejudice that evangelical Christians(I don't think thats the left) have about his religion, and South Carolina's view is shared throughout much of the South and elsewhere. Partly as a consequence, Romney shows up in national polls as the weakest of the major Republican candidates".

That was during the primaries.
Now, he may be the strongest because the republicans are grabbing any lifeline they can find.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Romney communicates ideas well and has a certain confidence about himself. Good qualities for a politician. Unfortunately for him, the more people see and hear from him the less appealing he will ultimately be.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4480
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That was during the primaries.
Now, he may be the strongest because the republicans are grabbing any lifeline they can find.

Then you're not aware of the innate stubbornness of South Carolinians!

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 812
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Romney is a bullshitter. Remember the hunting incident? But, then again aren't most politicians?

Firstandten

Post Number: 737
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL ! I guess so danindc I've only drove thru the state never spent any time there. I was referring to the fact Mitt got a 20% approval rating at the c-pac which isn't saying a lot but it was the highest of all the candidates listed.

(Message edited by firstandten on March 01, 2009)

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4482
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

LOL ! I guess so danindc I've only drove thru the state never spent any time there. I was referring to the fact Mitt got a 20% approval rating at the c-pac which isn't saying a lot but it was the highest of all the candidates listed.

I've been told (by a native North Carolinian) that it's no wonder the Civil War started in South Carolina--it's the most pig-headed state you'll ever set foot in (his words). Much like modern-day Detroit, they'd rather crash-and-burn on their own terms instead of looking to the outside for pragmatic ideas.

Speaking of which (and tying back to the thread)...

Land to Sanford: Go to Dillon

quote:

State Sen. John Land of Manning has a message for Gov. Mark Sanford: Stop traveling the country and visit J.V. Martin Junior High School in Dillon.

The message’s upshot?

Sanford — who has emerged as one of the nation’s leading critics of the stimulus package, congressional Democrats and President Obama — should take care of business at home, S.C. Democrats say.

J.V. Martin has become a national symbol of rural education neglect after President Obama highlighted the school in his address to Congress last week.

http://www.thestate.com/politi cs/story/700145.html

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1763
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Booby, your utter hypocrisy is showing again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAMcvfjPaXY

(110 million NOLA-Baton Rouge hi-speed passenger rail stimulus request)

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19158
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Booby"?? Name calling?

Besides, who are you addressing this too?

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8610
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jindal, Jindhal, however it is spelled, quite clearly, and yes, bobby is a hypocritical boob

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1764
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unlike you, Ccbatson, I tend to stay on topic, which reads: 2012 GOP presidential hopefuls. If a politician is going to blatantly lie, especially in a nationally televised address, I will call them the name that I feel he or she deserves to be called.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on March 03, 2009)

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Romney several months ago stated he is unlikely to run in 2012, and wants to work on improving America from outside of Washington.

Romney calls to mind several personalities:
- a softer version of Pat Boone (religious)
- Tom Landry (quite and dignified demeanor, maybe unfazed by fads)
- the Reverend Billy Graham

Romney also said at CPAC 2009,

"Our country has a new president and he has our prayers and best wishes..." and "We want our country to succeed, no matter who's in power. We want America to be prosperous and secure, regardless of who gets the credit."

How about Rush and Romney have a debate?

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CcBatson

The 2 problems with Romney is that he has a branding issue and that he is not electorially viable.

He represents to many, the Country Club republican- stuffed shirt, pandering about stock portfolios and the like, and not dealing with the issues of the common man. This decreases his popularity and makes him less likable to the mass of voters. Its easy for the dems to hang the "wall street" albatross on his neck.

He would do well and be competitive in the Wes t and Great Plain states electorially, but then he loses huge ground in the South, The Mid-Atlantic, and is marginal in the Rust Belt, which went Democratic this year. No hope on the West Coast, or in the New England States.

That's why he didnt make it out of the primary.

The Republicans would have to change the rules for him to win the nomination, much less the general...

Firstandten

Post Number: 748
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The republicans have a problem. They want someone who will appeal to the base, yet that base isn't large enough to win an national election. Even the casual political observer could see there economic policies were a disaster. They could resort to wedge issues but that doesn't win national elections. As a result they resort to questionable campaign strategies in order to win elections.

There ideas tend to be rigid, thus not inclusive thereby not expanding the base.

As the economic crisis gets further past their rear view mirror they can nit pic and criticize the party in power and gain some points that way.

Until they can legitimely address the changing demograpics in this country by being more flexible(Steele has the right idea but its too superficial) there place for the next few election cycles will be the party of NOPE.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3041
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"2012 Republican presidential hopefuls"

They are digging up Nathan Bedford Forrest to lead the pack.

Bring your bedsheets and your horse, we is havin a par-tee !

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19205
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree, Romney is very electable as a nominee.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 792
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lord Voldermore!

Best choice..

<313>

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19218
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Voldemort is a card carrying Democrat.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 793
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey-

No name calling...ha :-)

<313>

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7846
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I disagree, Romney is very electable as a nominee

Based on Cc's history, bet the house...against.

Classicyesfan
Username: Classicyesfan

Post Number: 609
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't rule out any Republican who has that crazed, "touched" intensity in his eyes....Mitt looks like he's dreaming of those many spouses that await him in heaven (all female spouses of course), or maybe about what country to invade next.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ Funny observation Classicyesfan!

Firstandten

Post Number: 750
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I disagree, Romney is very electable as a nominee"

George would have been very electable, but he's not here.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8627
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Romney is very electable as a nominee."

why?

why not:
1) he isn't even nominatable
2) he comes off as far too greasy/slick
3) he can't connect with people as a speaker
4) he has more flip-flops than a beach-front dollar store

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 584
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Romney's a joke. He knew better than to continue his campaign any longer than he did. It's too bad the Republican machine squashed the only ethical and sensible candidate that was running for the Republican ticket, the good doctor Ron Paul. Looking back on the Republican debates and primary campaign, Ron Paul was the ONLY one who addressed the economy and foresaw coming disaster, when the other candidates were asleep at the wheel (Democrats included, well, maybe not Kucinich)

rpwr.jpg