Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Words & Phrases to Eliminate » Archive through February 10, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8310
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love how local news always tries to find even the most tenuous connection to the local area.

that whole "this story has local ties" crap should also be eliminated

"this local couple once downloaded a picture of the hotel in Mumbai. What is your reaction to the story?"

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1829
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Live on CNN yesterday-

Reporter: "What was the landing like?"
Passenger: "Scary as shit!"

No beeps were in evidence. Thanks CNN!

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 359
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

palpable

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9167
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"untold numbers"

How many is that? Nobody knows, nobody will say? A number so large, it has never been uttered by one individual to another?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3369
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love when people use "palpable" or, better yet, "tangible" to describe intangible things. (But I cry when the dictionary changes the meaning to reflect the new idiotic currency, effectively killing a word's true meaning.)

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 354
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Please leave a message after the tone, I'll call you back at *my* earliest convenience."

Crystal

Post Number: 360
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

literally. As in "It was literally raining cats and dogs."

If it were raining cats and dogs, that would sure the heck be palpable!

I've probably submitted "literally" before on this thread. Maybe more than once. I hear it on the television or radio and get annoyed all over again.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"neocon"

(unless you're referring to a looming prison sentence)

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3379
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I was so hungover my head was literally exploding."

I'd pay to see that. :-)

Papermoon
Username: Papermoon

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"gifting" and "re-gifting". Makes my hair stand on end.

"See what I'm saying?" tacked on the end of every sentence.

Sticking "if you will" into a sentence, but not the metaphor that goes with it.

Using a past perfect tense instead of a simple past tense.

Crystal

Post Number: 363
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in no uncertain terms

well played

(Message edited by Crystal on January 24, 2009)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4903
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something I have seen posted on this site a few times: "Such and such is concerning."
Sorry, that's not English as I know it.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3031
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Fire in the hole!"

Women don't say shit like this alla time. Over-use of dumb-ass terms like this one persuade me to believe that some guys never grow out of the macho thrill provided by the childhood game of Playing Army. Ironically, getting older, and even having been in the real Army, seems to make it worse.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People abreviating "all of the" to "alla".

Rb336

Post Number: 8384
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"made with REAL INGREDIENTS!"

no, for MY money nothing beats a nice imaginary bowl of soup

Ravine

Post Number: 3035
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fronk off, Cheddar! Dang! I try to relax, a bit, from my usual anal-retentive formality & stiffness, and here you come...
First the initials guy from across the street, and now this...
I'm going to follow the blueprint provided by some other folks and fire up a thread wherein I bitch, moan, wail and gnash my teeth over how some of you are nothing but a bunch of trolling meanies.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3447
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"efforting"

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3595
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL rb....

Crystal

Post Number: 376
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I listen to traffic and weather on the 8's on WWJ AM 950. Dave Bowers does a fine job, but he leaves at least two syllables out of the word, meteorologist. He calls himself "mee-tuh-RAH-lis Dave Bowers".

Yes, I know it's a small thing, but it's painful to hear.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3449
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"armed gunman"

"terrible tragedy"

"stupid fool"

Rb336

Post Number: 8413
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"armed gunman"

you'll be sorry when you get held up by someone holding a gun with his toes

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3450
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. Would that be a "footpad"? :-)

Ravine

Post Number: 3055
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D'nerd's submissions to our list remind me of the old George Carlin line, featuring George as a newscaster: "Another senseless murder today, as police discovered the body of Irving Senseless lying in his hallway."

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 686
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Transparency"

Whenever I here this word, It's a signal that the subject matter at hand will be as cloudy as my bong....especially if it concerns economics.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9372
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"In this economy"

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3280
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Asshat"

Why not "Buttglove" or something equally stupid?

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1724
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like someone doesn't know the meaning and genesis of the term "asshat".

Mackenzie68
Username: Mackenzie68

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could you use ccbatson and asshat in a sentence, please?

That might help me with the meaning.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3290
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Looks like someone doesn't know the meaning and genesis of the term "asshat"""

No, I sure don't. I am sure it makes me a better person to not know.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1725
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the quest for knowledge is not really your thing.