Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » American Foreclosure Counseling Center « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3119
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know anything about this company? A search, on the Better Business Bureau website, yielded no results. The company has a website, but then, who the hell doesn't? I told a computer-less neighbor I would look into it. So far, it looks like I should tell her to ignore the letter, but I don't want to mislead her into blowing off a possibly-legit opportunity.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19342
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The title is not so great. "counseling"?? How about live within your means, renting is not a bad thing while you build up to being a homeowner. There you go, all set. What more counseling is needed?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3983
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard a lot of stories recently about "Foreclosure counseling firms", all bad. They want money up front, usually around two, three thousand bucks, and they say they will negotiate with your mortgage holder for you. Half the time they just disappear with your money. The other half, they just initiate dialogue with your mortgage holder that you could have done yourself....without putting bucks up front.

Suze Orman, superb financial advisor on CNBC, devoted a large portion of her show to this topic last Saturday. She said:

"BEWARE."

(Message edited by Ray1936 on March 11, 2009)

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19345
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Figures. Who owns these operations? Madoff? Barney Frank?

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2949
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right, there are free services available to counsel people on bringing their spending under control and getting the bills re-negotiated. You could do it yourself, but somehow, it does seem more legit to have someone who "knows what they are doing" tell you what to do.

http://www.greenpath.com/

http://www.ibudget.org/

And in Detroit, for foreclosures:

Detroit residents can call the toll-free telephone number 888-995-HOPE. All calls are confidential and the free service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The counseling services will be offered immediately, beginning April 18 [2005]. Telephone counseling will be provided through Credit Counseling Resource Center (CCRC), made possible through a grant from the Homeownership Preservation Foundation. The counseling services will focus on private mortgage foreclosure and not on tax foreclosure.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19353
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Services? To not spend more than you can afford?

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The title is not so great. "counseling"?? How about live within your means, renting is not a bad thing while you build up to being a homeowner. There you go, all set. What more counseling is needed?

Really? You have a problem with credit counseling? Really?

I don't know anything about this particular outfit but legitimate credit counseling is an extremely good thing. It allows a dispassionate outside person review one's financial situation, offer lifestyle changes, and advice on negotiating with creditors. Credit counselors help people craft a plan to get out of debt and ensure obligations get paid.

What the hell is wrong with that, exactly? The only possible reason someone would dismiss credit counseling as some kind of airy-fairy do-goodery is ignorance.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19357
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uneccessary. A system that requires individual responsibility (capitalism) takes care of this "issue" naturally.

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Credit counseling is about individual responsibility. It's about helping someone who has completely fucked up their personal finances and helping them devise a plan to PAY THEIR BILLS.

I fail to understand your hostility to a process that helps people who have made financial mistakes take responsibility for their situation. The alternative is, as Harry Dean Stanton suggested in Repo Man, is Soviet Russia where nobody pays their bills because they don't matter.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 724
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CC, Even those who had been living within their means are facing issues with foreclosure. There are plenty of things that can go wrong no matter the amount of preparedness involved (Health issues, job losses, falling property values and tightening credit being just a few.)Many of those who purchased near the market peak are faced with upside down mortgages even if they had 30% or higher down payments.

Back to the original topic: As Gazhekwe has mentioned there are plenty of free services available for those facing foreclosure issues. I'd shy away from anyone calling or advertising their services on television. They're in it for the money first and helping the homeowner second (or not at all).

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 725
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, This thread caught my attention so I did a little digging. It turns out that "American Foreclosure Counseling Center" and "National Foreclosure Counseling Services" share the same exact address in Jacksonville, Florida (7954 Bay Meadows Way, Building #7). Furthermore the company formally known as "National Foreclosure Counseling Services" was just shut down after dozens of lawsuits and actions by the Attorney Generals in several states. They simply changed their name and are back in business within days! Tell your neighbor to avoid these con artists no matter how tempting their sales pitch might sound.

http://wcco.com/local/foreclos ure.consultants.sued.2.921232. html

http://www.consumeraffairs.com /news04/2009/02/fl_rescue.html

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news /ags_offices_warn_against_morg age_ploy

(Message edited by Johnnny5 on March 12, 2009)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 5108
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't you guys know by now that CC is a superior god-like being? Anyone else who is not exactly like him deserves to starve and live in a tent.

Ravine

Post Number: 3120
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My heartfelt thanks to Johnnny5.
Ten responses, from a group of five people (I'm not counting Pam, who pretty much has carte blanche to drop in on any thread I initiate,) and only one of the responses-- Johnnny5's second-- directly addresses the question I posed, although Gaz's comments and links were, as usual, helpful & considerate, so thanks to you too, Gaz.
Cc, of course, while better ignored entirely, predictably stopped by-- repeatedly and insistently-- to fulfill his manifest destiny trip, pushing on forward in his quest to perpetually interfere while (almost) never contributing anything illuminating or worth reading. Thanks for stopping in, Cc; now, don't you have another thread to inundate with irrelevant, non-productive one-sentence offerings from your Crayola 8-pack of opinions?

(Message edited by ravine on March 12, 2009)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9607
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Uneccessary. A system that requires individual responsibility (capitalism) takes care of this "issue" naturally.

Awesome, then you can stop posting! We no longer need your "counseling" on how to live.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19365
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, if by "we" you mean citizens and how they live day to day. However, if you consider that "we" vote for these politicians, it is clear that some serious counseling is needed for the left side of the aisle.

Ravine

Post Number: 3127
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hhmm, Cc, I dunno; that depends. Are we walking from north to south, or from south to north?

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19386
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As in the Zax?

Ravine

Post Number: 3130
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why yes, Cc, quite so, and thumbs-up on your deference to my unconscious reference.
But let's not stand here for fifty-nine days.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19428
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clever and obscure.

Ravine

Post Number: 3134
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with that book was the excessively-dark green pages of "What Was I Scared Of?" (you know... the pants with no body inside them) made bedtime reading very difficult for ol' Papa Bear, here.
And that was when I was in my thirties. I'd need a goddam spotlight, now.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19457
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I skipped that one when reading to the kids after it spooked them.

Ravine

Post Number: 3136
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think mine were a little creeped out by that one, too.
Guilty Secret: Voluminous collection of Berenstain Bear books. My two-- boys-- used to love to hate the petulant and generally annoying Sister Bear, while I ground my teeth at the smugly all-knowing Mama Bear.
Papa Bear, of course, was portrayed as a clueless lug who was good only for bringing home a paycheck and lifting heavy objects.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3469
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Papa Bear, of course, was portrayed as a clueless lug who was good only for bringing home a paycheck and lifting heavy objects."

Of course, the way all men are depicted nowadays. I wonder what is the driving force behind this campaign to smear the American male.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9629
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Easy, all the advertising agencies know they are the only group you can still make fun of.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8690
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ya know, i prefer the all men are dolts comedies to the all-wise dads of the 50s & 60s.

to paraphrase bill cosby, fatherhood causes brain damage

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3470
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "ya know, i prefer the all men are dolts"

To each his own :-)

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3471
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "fatherhood causes brain damage"

Didn't Mark Twain say something along the lines: When he was 15 he determined his father was the dumbest man on earth, and when he turned 18, he couldn't believe how much his father had learned in just 3 years?

Ravine

Post Number: 3138
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Y'know, I wonder if the "all men are clueless, butt-scratching dolts" image, now so universally popular and widely disseminated, has ANYTHING to do with the proliferation of commercials regarding erectile dysfunction on sports-talk radio.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8695
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no, it has to do with the proliferation of sports-talk radio itself

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3473
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bravo.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19468
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill Cosby also describes the planned stupidity of many men for the purposes of getting out of mundane tasks by virtue of falsely leaving the impression that they are incapable...crazy like a fox.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.