Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » The Joy of Planting: Earth, Sun and Peas « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7875
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been fighting the urge to plant my peas along the fence, but this makes my yearning to plant the garden even stronger.

quote:

THIS is how I know it’s time to plant peas: the winter jasmine is blooming on the south side of our farmhouse in Maryland; the bluebirds are building their nests again in the hollows of the locust trees; and the ground, so frozen in February, has thawed.

Last week, my boyfriend, Rock, and I ventured into the vegetable garden, where the raised beds, full of compost and earthworms, are the first to warm up in March. I picked up a handful of soil and pressed it together, as if making a snowball, while Rock surveyed the rusted tomato cages and dead plants we should have pulled up last fall, saying, “Look at this mess.”

The dirt crumbled in my hand, and I held it under his nose.

“Smell,” I said.

“Just plant the peas, Bugsy,” he replied.

Rock likes to kid me about the microscopic parasites my acupuncturist told me are in the soil (though I don’t believe it). “Wear gloves!” she says. But I love the feel of the earth between my fingers. And I don’t want to worry about this stuff all the time; I’d stop breathing air (because of what’s in it) and drinking water (ditto).

This time of year, I like to hold the soil in my hand to see if it forms a gummy wet ball or crumbles nicely, like chocolate cake.

If it is too wet and cold, our clay-based soil will form concrete around any seeds that are planted, and they will then have trouble germinating and possibly even rot.

Worse still, working the soil when it is wet disturbs its architecture — the complex layering and tunneling produced by thousands of microbes, earthworms, mealy bugs and countless other organisms that not only bring air into the garden but also fertilize it with their infinitesimal excretions and, after they die, the nutrients from their decomposing bodies. Dig too soon, and that little underground city will collapse into the aforementioned concrete.

So wait patiently for the chocolate cake stage. If you don’t, it will take months — and tons of compost — to repair the damage.

As soon as the ground is ready, though, don’t lose any time, because this early crop is actually stunted by temperatures that are warmer. Once the mercury climbs into the 70-degree range we humans find so delightful, the pea vines stop climbing and flowering.

More of this delightful article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03 /12/garden/12garden.html

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

had the same thought when i read this earlier today

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 4600
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gee why would we not want other sto experience the joy of gardening..

isn't it a wonderful little thing...we plant a small seed in a piece of ground and after a prescribed period of time, an amazing thing breaks through the surface and produces a copy of it's original form that produced the seed in the first place...

or when we plant a combination of wild flowers ..we never really know what we are going to get ..then suddenly one day we have a bed of color and a reminder that every winter begets a spring..

nice article ..thanks for sharing

Jams

Post Number: 7876
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love eating raw peas like peanuts,thanks to my cousin from Denmark.

Soon, very soon.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 4601
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great memories of gardens in our back yards...peas were always my favorite too...

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19411
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bless gardeners, very patient, and that is a good trait to hone. Personally, I can't stand it.

Jams

Post Number: 7885
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try it Cc, there is much satisfaction in seeing a plot of soil providing something you only thought you must buy.

Have you ever tasted an ear of corn planted in the spring, watched growing tall all summer long, plucked and husked within 5 minutes of its immersion into a pot of boiling water.

Once you have,you'll understand.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really enjoy raw vegetables, especially onions. My paternal great-great-grandfather farmed onions on the east coast, and like he did, I eat (raw) sweet onions like apples. In moderation though, cause I tear up, and the wife dislikes the onion odor seeping out my pores hours later. Clears sinuses too.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19431
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have tried it...that is how I know that I can't stand it.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9104
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cc, take a few SEASONS to experience it fully, then you won't be able to stand being outside it EVER again!

Come on down and break a sweat for a few days...get your fingers dirty. There will be a reward for you in a few months!

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gardening is the best medicine in the world.

Jams

Post Number: 7899
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Lodgedodger.
I had to wipe out the weed patch that was my back yard, reluctantly, with chemicals after I moved in to my new home late last summer.

I'll be getting a load of topsoil, which will be mixed with the compost cooking since last summer to add organics and level the soil.

The shade garden, with the estblished Rose of Sharon tree as the basis has been plotted with Astrilibe, Hostas, False Forget-me-nots,and Ferns filling a corner that faces north.

Another section of the yard will have maybe 30 different herbs, 2/3rds of them in a recycled vertical garden design

I had cut down 8 or 9 Mulberry trees behind my garage, that allows me an 11' x 35' space for the veggies and raspberries.

The grape arbor may have to wait until next year, but in my mind I know it will exist.

At this moment, my backyard is a mass of mud, but soon the only grass will be the walkways.

Never in the space I live in will I ever be self-sufficent, but I will enjoy those things I grew

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of my best stories were written while working in the garden. I've started some light work--just picking up sticks--but I'm impatient to do more.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have some white (with plum-colored centers) Rose of Sharon starters, if you're interested.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19464
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It isn't the hard work that I dislike...it is the boredom/tediousness.

Gannon

Post Number: 9109
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, I'd guess something like meditation would be FAR from your abilities then herr doktor.

More you talk about it, the more obvious your NEED to work on the greening of your thumbs!!

All that logic bouncing around your noggin must be noisy!

Jams

Post Number: 7900
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Thanks for sharing.

Jams

Post Number: 7902
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Lodgedodger, for that offer, but I don't have the room for them.

Just came in for lunch, after cleaning up the leftover leaves in the front garden. I'm like a little kid watching the tulips and daffodils I put in last fall poking their heads out and pleasantly surprised by the number of bulb-plants planted by a previous owner that I didn't know about.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do the same--some of the bulbs were put in at the time our home was built. Every spring, I'm delighted to see the flowers return. The original owners have been dead for many years, yet their plantings live on.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19486
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meditation is not very helpful, or desirable for me either. Boring.

Jams

Post Number: 7906
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you again for sharing, I'll sleep well with the knowledge,

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19491
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Questions asked and answered.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 770
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

From the guy who runs the board on a nightly basis...

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19640
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is not a mindless act, although some of the liberals here can appear to be much of the time.

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 263
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the joy of planting, the joy of fresh earth, the wind, the sun, real life, real people, one with your heart, can it get any better?

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 838
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love to garden. One of the benefits of moving will be finding a rental with a space to garden, I will be working out in an urban farm this year as well. I took a break last year and with only my house plants to keep me company I was rather sad.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1717
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'...although some of the liberals here can appear to be much of the time.'

Watch it 'bats.

Jams

Post Number: 7950
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't like to garden, Cc? Fine, some of us do.

Please, ignore us.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice try Bats, but your wrong.

Most "libs" seem to do more to find solutions than your armchair blogging could ever hope to acomplish.

Many "liberals" I know actually plant gardens and harvest their own food for themselves and their community. What have you and the neo-cons done, in reguards to farming, other than poo-poo folks who chose to eat natural-raised fruits and vegies?

Give your failed, tired retoric a rest, there are people who actually practice what they preach, and enjoy the fruits of their labor here on DYS.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19695
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72...what year are you referring to with this backyard gardening as a significant source of food for a person/family/or community?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2071
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My next door neighbor turned her whole backyard into a garden/mini-farm. Grew, harvested, canned. Cut her grocery bill by more than 50% for the whole year.

Statistically significant.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19753
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1 person's grocery bill by 50%...hmmm.

Supplies and labor for the conversion were free then? Fertilizer, equipment also gratis?

Next.

Jams

Post Number: 7994
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who gives a flying F@#K what you think?

This is about an individual choice and responsibility, we are producing, maybe small scale.

Yet with a small investment, great benefits are derived, that should be a capitalist's wetdream.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>Supplies and labor for the conversion were free then? Fertilizer, equipment also gratis?<<

Everything isn't always dollars and cents. This person may have saved 50% on their food bill, but the satisfaction derived from such an undertaking is priceless.

Jams

Post Number: 7995
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Odd thing Cc, gardeners are very creative at not spending dollars.

We trade seeds and cuttings with others. Some of us collect scraps of uncooked veggies, coffee grounds, etc. from sympathetic restaurants and stores for our compost eliminating "cost of fertilizer" and petrochemicals entering our bodies.

We choose a variety of species and subspecies of plants we would not have access to otherwise. Hell, there are 300 species of dandelions, that are not available at your local grocer, but your neighbors are happy to allow you to dig out for a salad. p.s. they are great with a vinegrette dressing, especially with an herb infused vinegar.

Our "labor" is what it costs you to run the forum each night, even less.

(Message edited by jams on March 29, 2009)

Slick
Username: Slick

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love gardening,
this weekend I planted tomato seeds, more fun than buying from a nursery.
I have Marglobe and Box car willie, from seeds I saved last year. bought Granny cantrelle, Mortgage lifter, ( large tomatoes) and Hienz plum tomatoes. all but the heinz are true heirlooms. also planted chili peppers from saved seeds.

Jams

Post Number: 7997
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Slick,
I wasn't familiar with the Mortgage Lifter variety, so I looked it up.

WOW, a 4 lb tomato! Those sound perfect to hollow out and stuff with tuna or chicken salad for a lunch for two.

I'll definitely find some space for a few plants for those monsters.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19765
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no qualm when somebody enjoys and pursues a hobby.

I do object when they try to guilt those that don't partake (or praise them) using the BS green arguments.

Gannon

Post Number: 9164
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cc,

You wouldn't get that here AT ALL (in this thread) if you would just shut the fuck up with your rhetoric sometimes.

I mean, come ON, give it a break.

It's not a hobby, btw, it is a lifestyle.

You don't get it, you don't understand us, you may NEVER do so...and we only care enough to share the joys of this wonderful and very natural return to the soil so that you, too, may find one of the best ways to relax.

Turns out it saves oodles of money with little investment other than your time, and even THAT time spent works to the gardener's great benefit with lower stress...which we ALL know is the greatest contributor to high blood pressure and other ills.

Eating natural and whole foods helps the digestive tract and immune system...being in the sunshine keeps us all Vitamin-D'd.

Yeah, I daresay you object TOO forcefully, expecting a fight when indeed here there is none. Nothing you hold dear has any value or merit with this crowd of near-indigenous. Your AynRandiness only makes you appear selfish at the very least...and due to forum guidelines I cannot even approximate how it appears at the very most.

Cheers on our way into springtime...guess I'll buy the Farmer's Almanac tomorrow...

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19777
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like I said, enjoy. Just don't preach it.

Alsodave

Post Number: 808
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Preach it, Gannon. :-)

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19780
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Missionary gardeners on a crusade? What next?

Alsodave

Post Number: 811
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure, but that's a great start!

Slick
Username: Slick

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jams,

I grew them a few years back. ( did not save the seeds, dumb.) While I did not get 4 pounders, 1-2 pounds is the norm. Excellent size and taste.
Enjoy your gardening

Jams

Post Number: 8000
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, I do.

Spent the morning laying out the new backyard design. There will not be much grass, just the walkways separating the various beds.

I can't wait until the soil drys out a bit more and the risk of frost is over, so I can play in the dirt in earnest.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3962
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every year my mom hopes that my dad will not plant a garden...every year my dad plants a garden.

I keep telling her that the year HE says HE is NOT going to plant a garden, is the year SHE needs to go shopping for HIS box so that HE can be planted!

That is how much my dad enjoys playing in the dirt and reaping what he sows.

Gardening truly is NOT a hobby - it is a way of LIFE for my dad. :-)

Jams

Post Number: 8003
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie,

It is a "great way of LIFE" in more than one way.

I woke up this morning extremely stressed. I spent a few hours in my yard placing patio blocks tracing out the flower beds and walkways and went to ACO to pick up the 10 for a buck packets of seeds, and those "iron bands" around my chest dissolved.

I have a very small yard, yet that small plot will produce so much. Sad, others miss the point.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19785
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't get the attraction, but....to each his/her own.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3965
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's wonderful Jams! I know my dad is looking forward to sticking some seeds in dirt too. He will be 80 years old on April 2nd! He still takes pride in what he can grow. And he shares with his family and friends the fruits of his labor. My mom just won't can anymore, but she'll eat the freshest produce in the world when he harvests it! LOL

Gosh there's nothing like a salad made from home grown leaf lettuce and fresh picked green onions with a little oil and vinegar, salt and pepper. I was dreaming about that kind of salad for lunch today!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.