Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Food again. Let's not lose it this time! » Archive through February 13, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2896
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much scrubbing is there? You know what you can do? Lightly spray or grease the pan, lay waxed paper over the grease, spray or grease the waxed paper. When you turn the cake out onto a plate, the wax paper will be on the cake and you just peel it off. The pan will be easy to clean. Don't use the waxed paper if you're just going to serve the cake from the pan, though. Cutting the cake with the waxed paper is a pain.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2897
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chocolate decadence zabaglione? Post it, post it!

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 175
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chocolate Zabaglione Trifle

supplies:
one 11 x 16 chocolate cake (from scratch is best)
8 large egg yolks
1/2 c. granulated sugar
3/4 c. marsala wine
pinch salt
1 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 c. espresso or strong coffee
6 oz. bittersweet chocolate

Using a serrated knife, cut the chocolate cake into four even rectangles. Slice ea. piece into half horizontally, making eight pieces altogether. Set the cake aside.

Fill a medium saucepan one-third full of water. Bring the water to a gentle boil. Fill a medium bowl one-third full of ice water; reserve. In a medium stainless steel bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, marsala wine and salt. Set the bowl into the saucepan of boiling water so it fits snug but does not touch the water. This will be the zabaglione. Cook the zabaglione, whisking constantly, until it is thick. Remove the bowl from the heat and set it in the bowl of ice water. Whisk until cool.

In a separate bowl, beat the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Fold cooled zabaglione into the cream.

Spread about 1 cup of the zabaglione cream in the bottom of a large 2 1/2 - 3qt. trifle bowl or four small (18oz) trifle bowls. Cut and fit the cake pieces on top of the cream in a single layer. Brush the cake layer with about 1/2 c of the espresso. Repeat this layering process with the remaining ingredients, finishing with the zabaglione cream on the top layer.

With a vegetable peeler, shave the bittersweet chocolate over the trifle.

Refrigerate at least 6 hrs. before serving.

Serves eight.

Lnfant

Post Number: 176
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bigb, you are a barrel of laughs. you remind of the late-night jiffy corn bread i used to make with my roommates in college. we loved the stuff so much that we sometimes just ate it raw. it's magical batter–not sure why heating it is required other than maybe to help it set a little better. be sure to monitor your intake of that stuff, it's not exactly wholesome, not to be parental or anything :-\

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3545
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I nuked it because of the raw egg in it, but that was the quickest, easiest, homemade cake I ever made.

It took me all these years to get an Easy-bake oven. :-)

Lnfant

Post Number: 177
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i failed to mention that we didn't add the egg, just water. we didn't notice much difference in the taste back then.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3560
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at Kroger this afternoon, and they didn't have a very good selection of Jiffy products. Muffin mix and pie crust, period. But thats what I had to buy.

I try to support our local economy, and would rather not buy from New Jersey or New York right now.

Any buy Michigan suggestions ? (And I know the websites).

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4924
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

was at Kroger this afternoon, and they didn't have a very good selection of Jiffy products

http://www.jiffymix.com/tours. html

If you go on the Jiffy plant tour you get some free boxes of mixes. (At least I did a few years ago when I took the tour.)

Bigb23

Post Number: 3566
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Pam. Too far for me, but I think we should all take a look at where our dollars are going right now. And the price is right.

Meijer seems the place to buy.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 648
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 4:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a side note, I hate Meijers. Sale signs are always on the wrong items and prices don't scan right.

I am writing this post to remind myself to check my recipe file for "Grandma Suzie's" chocolate loaf cake. This is a scratch cake made with cocoa powder and milk soured with vinegar. Sounds yuchy but it is actually the best chocolate cake ever.

I never knew my grandmother but it is cool to think this recipe lives on. It most likely dates from the turn of the last century, she started life on a farm and ingrediants were common cheap household items. The frosting which is a glaze is just hot water, powdered sugar and butter. Personally I love the chocolate cake so much I don't bother with the iceing but thought I should print the recipe in it's original form. I promise to post it.

Seriously, this cake is fantastic. Everytime I take this to a function, people want the recipe.

I live in Detroit and the church ladies can really cook so to be asked for a recipe is a high honor.

Tonight we cooked a pork tenderloin. I love dinners that are easy but taste great. Drizzle olive oil on the tenderloin, spice with rosemary, salt, pepper and add minced garlic and enjoy. This also works great on the grill.

Hope people will contribute easy but great recipes. We also do a great London Broil. What I don't understand is why Flank steak is so expensive now.

Bigb23, try the Aldi's spiral ham. Great value. My mom always said a ham was better then money in the bank. Multiple meals, sandwiches and finally soup to top things off.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5908
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Meijer's. I pay attention to the scanners of course, but their selection is great, usually their fresh produce is very good and they have a wine buyer who knows wine.

I don't buy their meat though. I'd rather buy less but better quality.

I did a pork tenderloin last night too. Rub with Detroit Steak Seasoning, sear on a hot pan on the stove, finish in a hot oven for about 30 minutes. Squeeze a lemon on top, serve with my sisters delicious homemade chunky applesauce. Steamed spinach with garlic, oven blasted carrots. Glass of "KickAss Grenacha". A lovely lovely dinner.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 2206
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I chime in on the Meijer thing....I think it just depends on the store, like anything else. But I love the one by my house.

Sumas

Post Number: 651
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, here is Grandma Suzie's chocolate loaf cake. Bake in a small loaf pan or bunt cake pan that is oiled and floured.

Mix 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup butter or oleo (Margarine to the younger group)and one egg.

Add 1/4 cup soured milk (add 1 tspn of vinegar to milk to sour)

Add 1 heaping cup flour and 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder. Mix batter well

Add 1/2 cup cup boiling water with 1 level teaspoon of baking soda in it. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and a pinch of salt.

Batter will look thin but don't worry. Bake at 350 for about 30 to 35 minutes.

Frosting if desired:

1 3/4 cup powdered sugar, 2 table spoons butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, hot water sparingly. stir on stove until melted and smooth. top cake when cooled.

This simple cheap chocolate cake is the best chocolate cake in the world. I don't bother with the frosting usually. The cake is that good. My husband says why gild the lily.

This recipe is about 110 or more years old. So give it a try for posterity.

Just for fun, my Grandma's name was Jeanette. My Grandfather, from the hills of Kentucky, thought the name was too uppity, so he called her Suzie.

My Mom had three girls, we all were named after Grandma in one fashion or another. My only brother is named after my Dad's side of the family. Maternal and paternal.

It is sad really that I never knew any Grandparents. There is a thread about geneology. My parents got big time into that in their retirement years so I know a lot about family history. On one side we go back 300 years.

I hope others will share heritage recipes.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3584
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, PETA. I had a heart attack moving these keys.

Whoops - a Bacon Attack.

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/baco n-explosion.html

Bigb23

Post Number: 3585
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog /recipes/super-bowl-burger-rec ipe/

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3540
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb - My chest hurts like hell from just reading that bacon explosion recipe!

Lnfant

Post Number: 178
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's inconceivable how someone could think up that bacon/pork finger recipe. you've broadened my small world.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3593
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guy's think "inside" the box. :-)

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 2222
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Sumas

Post Number: 668
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meijers doesn't have a Detroit store so I haven't been in one in years. The one we did use was in Northville. Most trips I learned to check my receipt in the lot. Always price errors.

Once we were on a way to a party and stopped to buy some vodka. The clerk carded my husband and then wouldn't sell to him because his DL was not pristine. The clerk was positively gleefully rude to my husband. He was 47 at the time. So I had to pay for it. My husband, always a gentleman, started to pick up the bag and the clerk wouldn't let him. It was ludicrous. A balding guy obviously over the age of twenty one getting carded. We had both our sons with us and our eldest was almost drinking age himself. That was the last time we went to a Meijers.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3656
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're going to find glitches any place Sumas. K-mart is the worst right now. That said, my Wal-mart average is one visit every four years, and only when they have a big ticket item nobody else can come close to.
Other than that, Meijer is my best all around choice. At least once a week. Just check your receipt, and buy Michigan.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3681
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who's watching ?

Homemade pizza tonight and a sloppy joe mix tomorrow. Guy chow.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5701
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found this website where you click on what you have in your cupboard, and it tells you what you can cook and gives you recipes.
Cooking by Numbers

Bigb23

Post Number: 3703
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to try this today - -

Corn Bread Casserole Ingredients
1 large Onion (diced) 1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 Green pepper (diced) 1 1/2 cup Hot pepper cheese
1 stick Butter 3 large Eggs
1 can Cream style corn
Instructions for Corn Bread Casserole
1 Saute onion and green pepper in a skillet until soft, set aside to cool.

2. In as large bowl, mix corn (1/2 juice drained off), jiffy corn mix, onion, green pepper, eggs and corn meal. Stir until well mixed.

3. Put mix in a 9 x 9 x 2 greased pan.

4. Bake at 350d for 45 minutes, add grated cheese to top and bake for additional 15 minutes.

Cool 5 minutes and chow down!

http://www.bigoven.com/169384- Corn-Bread-Casserole-recipe.ht ml

Why do I proof read and correct the stuff I get online ?

Bigb23

Post Number: 3744
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ice fishing ?

Beer-Battered Whitefish

1. Mix 2 cups flour, 2 tbsp baking soda, 2 tbsp salt and enough beer to give a slightly-thicker than pancake batter consistency.
2. Heat fryer to 360.
3. Dredge fillets in flour then in the batter and fry until golden brown.

Sumas

Post Number: 716
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On discuss Detroit there is a thread on Chili. People were discussing ways to sweeten tomatoes. I used to use sugar but twenty years ago, I discovered herbs. Use extra basil in spaghetti sauce and you won't need a sweetener.

Other simple herbs to use: try curry in your egg salad or cumin in your tuna salad.

For the past few years we cook dinner for my mother and she hates herbs of any type. She wants everything bland. If we buy herbs fresh or dry she throws them out. She especially hates garlic. Believe it or not we hide fresh cloves in our bedroom to use when she is gone. Then we have to remember to spray air freshener.

Life without herbs in cooking is so boring. My husband and I have both lost weight because the meals we cook are mostly unappetising without the umph that herbs give. We also love hot spicy food. That too is a forget it around here. Once a month she goes to a play in the evening so we can cook what we want the way we want.

She evens claims not to like fish. I do cook it once in a while and she always goes for seconds.

The last time I did cod in a buttermilk fritter batter. It was a bomb looks wise but tasted fine.

Anyone have a recipe for baked whitefish in a lemon sauce?

Sumas

Post Number: 717
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have a recipe similar to this for Turkey Divan. I lost my recipe years ago but I kind of remember it.

1 cup miracle whip
1 can crm of celery soup
1 cup sour cream ???
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
sliced cooked turkey breast
1 teaspoon cumin
cooked brocoli or asparagus

I sure my quantities are wrong and I am not sure about the sour cream plus I might be forgetting some other ingrediants

Bigb23

Post Number: 3820
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about a one pan breakfast other than a regular hunters breakfast ? Maybe a Jiffy Mix cornbread other than above (minus the Kernals)? Stove top ?

Sorry Sumas.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3645
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saute some chopped peppers, onions, mushrooms till a bit soft, set aside, cook eggs omelette style with a little bit of garlic powder, pepper and any other seasonings you like, and when they're done enough, spread veggies on 1/2, sprinkle some shredded cheese of your choice and flip neked half over the top. Cover skillet and turn the stove off. Fix your toast while eggs finish on their own. Pour your coffee, slide the omelette on a plate and enjoy! :-)

Bigb23

Post Number: 3823
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe an omlette on steroids. I have a no stick, double flip, omlette pan I bought at a yard sale years ago for a buck. I love it and use it every weekend. Never fails me. I'm looking for a recipe that is on a big stove top pan, that includes eggs, Jiffy corn bread, sausage/bacon/green pepper/onion/jalapeño cheese and a playboy bunny with a Bloody Mary.
Any chance ?