Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Blueberry hills, R.I.P.'s, etc... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 560
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The world has been pretty chaotic lately - and in passing - I was stricken by the loss of 2 extremely influential musicians:

1. Louise Belleson died on Feb 14th. The original double-kick swingster! RIP

2. Fats Domino - appropriately passed right around the time of New Orleans Mardis Gras (perhaps Feb 16th?). RIP Fats.

I don't recall seeing any of these two mentioned around here. So... I'm 'a mention-in'.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19418
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had not heard about Fats Domino...I was away that week, but should have seen the announcement. Oscar Peterson left before him recently. The last of a breed.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3853
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ggores - do you have any links to post about this news? I can't find anything on a Louise Belleson, and all the other sources I've checked still show Fats as alive.

Ggores

Post Number: 561
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not good with links, but from Wikipedia about Louis (I spelt he name wrong):

"On February 14, 2009, Bellson died at age 84 from complications of a broken hip in Dec. 2008 and Parkinson's disease"

As for Fats, I can't find anything either. Strange. But I know that I heard the news about his death.

Maybe someone else can confirm the rumour.

Strange thing is that, on Feb 14th, I was showing my son my old Bellson instruction books and we watched Youtube vids of him... absolutely incredible... what class!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG4Y0N9bi10

(Message edited by ggores on March 14, 2009)

Kelton
Username: Kelton

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe Fats Domino passed away and no one mentioned it on Soulful Detroit. If the most obscure musician dies someone there will post about it. I doubt it's true, unless someone can confirm.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1777
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're wrong about Fats Domino. He's still with us at age 81.

http://www.deadoraliveinfo.com /dead.nsf/dnames-nf/Domino+Fat s

(Message edited by jiminnm on March 14, 2009)

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3859
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is what I looked at too Jiminnm, as well as several other sites.

I know it was rumored that Fats was presumed dead during the flooding in Louisiana, but that was corrected by Fats himself shortly after the rumor started.

I know his passing would have made the National news. He is loved everywhere. I was lucky enough to see him perform once. Great entertainer.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3860
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ggores - watched the video - WOW! Amazing. I remember him now.

RIP Mr. Bellson.

Ggores

Post Number: 562
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh... I was wrong about Fats, apparently. What I did learn is that an electric guitarist who played in one of Fats line-ups passed away. My bad.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9620
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my favorite authors from when I was younger passed away last year, and I didn't know until just the other day. Robert Asprin, author of the Myth Adventures series of books.

http://www.mythadventures.net/

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19427
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whew...sorry Fats.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.