Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » What do you use for computer backups? « Previous Next »
Archive through March 26, 2009Jcole30 03-26-09  11:53 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19683
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Megabytes, kilobytes, gigabytes, terabytes....measures of?? That's is right memory.

How is the capacity of a storage medium measured? Right again, in bytes.

What is a byte? A unit of information.

What is being stored in storage medium? Data.

When a person recalls something that they witnessed or experienced in the past, what is that process recollecting? Memories.

Hard drives, being a storage medium, storing data to be recalled later is...??? Anyone??

MEMORY.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2064
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's wrong with you people?

It's obviously headlight fluid.

What is it called when you remember some past experience and apply it to a current situation to come up with an epiphany? A light bulb turning on.

What does a light bulb produce? LIGHT

What does a headlight produce? LIGHT

What is it called when faulty logic is applied in a haphazard manner? FLUID logic.

HeadLIGHT FLUID. Also an excellent application as a chemical synapse gap filler.

Computer RAM could be thought of as working memory and the hard drive as long term memory, but in computer science the hard drive is not called memory.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19698
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Long term memory is not called memory? If true of computer science and the proper nomenclature of the field, they need to rethink that nonsense.

East_detroit

Post Number: 2067
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct, thus your use of the term was incorrect.

Perhaps they will rethink it.

Artificial Intelligence certainly borrowed a lot of terms from cognitive psychology, so why not.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 6186
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CC, walk into a computer store and ask for memory, and see what they hand you.

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 965
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CC Writes "-Cinderpath..what if the hard drives fail? DVDs, or CDs for things like documents, photos, and videos are a good 2nd tier."

Ah, once again a case of not reading: it is on *Mirrored hard drives* Mirrored hard drives=Multiple hard drives with identical data. That means if one fails there is a a back up. The probability the drives will fail at the same time is nil. I have encountered corrupted DVD,s and CDs. BTW 1TB HDs are now less than $100, not $300. As well, your wrong on calling it "memory", that is ram, hard drives are storage. As others have pointed out, in an IT meeting or at a computer store, when you ask for memory, find out where it takes you, but it won't be storage devices. Just like you were blatantly wrong on confusing mortgage rates with sort term interest rates in finance and economics, but refused to admit it. Its ok though, everybody else knows your far from perfect, as you often point out in your 20,000 post worth of evidence.

Jcole

Post Number: 6190
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck, Cinderpath. Maybe he'll listen to you. I'm a lowly female, and God knows he's not hearing me. I mentioned the cost issue above, as well as arguing the memory/HDD issue. You see where it got me. I wonder if he's that understanding when a patient comes in and tries to diagnose themselves.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3533
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't imagine what could be so vital that is close to a terabyte and needs to be saved. Know how many text documents and pictures that is? Programs are saved to the setup disk already. What are you guys trying to save and what will it be worth in twenty years? I used to save data and then realize later it was pointless, because it was so inferior in the present. Can see saving pictures, and a few files, other than that, DEL.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4314
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Of course I will not change your mind...nor do I care to. What I have accomplished however, is to win this debate via compelling arguments greater in number and validity then your attempts.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19697

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 888
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems Batty is having another "Bats aren't bugs!" moment.

East_detroit

Post Number: 2072
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I wonder if he's that understanding when a patient comes in and tries to diagnose themselves.

Patient?

Jcole

Post Number: 6196
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's allegedly a doctor

Bigb23

Post Number: 4329
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

He's allegedly a poster

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 239
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bought two 1TB drives during the holiday sales for $80 each.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4331
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when I had a 500 Meg HD at a engineering company. And when I got 1 GIG on the new one, I thought, who's going to use this much ?

quote:

Bought two 1TB drives during the holiday sales for $80 each.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1868
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only non-business file types that could justify having 1 TB storage is .avi, .wmv, .mpeg, .flv, ect...

But unless someone is a amateur filmmaker, or records and stores months or years of personal or family filmed HD and older video formats, most likely they are or were illegally downloading or copying and storing DVD movies on their HD.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4334
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can I have a witness ? :-) No - seriously, find my e-mail on here.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19701
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mirrored HDs are not bad, not infallible, and not cheap. Optical media is a nice and easy addition to the toolbox IMO.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4355
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conficker Hype And Debate Build As April Fool's Day Nears

March 30, 2009: 10:00 AM ET

quote:

Once Conficker infiltrates a machine, it tries to crack administrators' passwords, hijack security software, disable commercial antivirus software, and opens the PCs to further infections. Internet security experts were so struck by the authors' skills that they formed the "Conficker Cabal" to fight back against the worm.

Their challenge is apt to get a whole lot bigger on Wednesday when Conficker is set to generate 50,000 new Internet domain names, any of which could be used to take control of the millions of infected PCs. The vast number of potential control centers will make it extremely difficult to preemptively cut off communication between the infected computers and Conficker's authors.

CNN - Conficker

Jcole

Post Number: 6206
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Researchers score Conficker detection breakthrough
quote:

Just days ahead of an April 1st activation date for the Conficker worm squirming through the Windows operating system, security researchers at the Honeynet Project have scored a major breakthrough, finding a way to fingerprint the malware on infected networks.

Now, with the help of Dan Kaminsky and Rich Mogull, off-the-shelf network scanning vendors have the ability remotely (and anonymously) detect Conficker infections.

“You can literally ask a server if it’s infected with Conficker, and it will tell you,” Kaminsky explained. “Usually, we get to scan for a vulnerability but, because Conficker actually changes the way that Windows looks on a network, we now get to scan and get a “this box is infected” message which is pretty rare.”

Continued on ZDNet

Bigb23

Post Number: 4356
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From ZDNet :

quote:

The best (fastest) way to check

If you CANNOT get to www.kaspersky.com, www.mcafee.com, www.secureworks.com, you're probably infected with Conficker.

Posted by: Ryan Naraine Posted on: 03/30/09

ZDNET

Jcole

Post Number: 6219
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a link to the Conficker Work Group, where you can download removal tools for the virus. If you can't see the links or get to the sites, you may be infected already.
Conficker Work Group

Bigb23

Post Number: 4358
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can get on the sites no problem, but how large are the files to download on my measly 28.8 Kbps dial up ? I'll update my AVG free tonight, and stay off line on Wednesday just to see what happens.
I've been through all these scares before, but better safe than sorry.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3959
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for the AVG free deal - I keep getting ads for their update. I know it's gonna cost some bucks, but do I NEED to HAVE it?

BTW - I love this thread. I'm learning a lot here from all of you. Can we get this thread transferred over to the new and improved Dyes?

Jcole

Post Number: 6220
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Erie, you don't as long as you're running a firewall. Use the one included in Windows if you want a free one. Also, download some anti-spyware software. There are several good free ones out there.
Try Spybot Search and Destroy or Malwarebytes or AdAwarewhich are all free also.

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 968
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CC Again wrong on all counts:

"Mirrored HDs are not bad, not infallible, and not cheap. Optical media is a nice and easy addition to the toolbox IMO.

A) Nothing is 100% infallible; I have had optical disc get corrupted, and have had greater reliability w/ Mirrored hard drives, for good optical media it is very expensive.

B) Mirrored Hard Drives are cheap, a 1TB drive is now $80; $0.125 per Gig-

Good, archival standard DVD's are

http://www.delkin.com/products /archivalgold/dvdr.html

$339 for a 100pack= $1.41 per Gig- Way more expensive.

C) Speed, optical media is much slower than hard drives and having to dig through and find the correct disc where the file is, then the slow read/ write times make it a rotten choice for the toolbox.

=You're wrong

Jcole

Post Number: 6221
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big, the Kaspersky and ESET files are very small, and most of the others are 2 to 4 mb, with MS being almost 10mb.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19762
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

80 dollars for a TB?? Where?

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 806
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Micro Center, for one.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19776
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool. Just don't let government take over that industry....before you know it, the price will go up, and quality down if they get their hands on it. Watch what happens with autos if these companies don't extricate themselves from Obama's clutches (here is a hint, he..Obama...just fired GM's CEO).

Alsodave

Post Number: 807
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will do.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19779
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trouble is, we are powerless until we have the chance to vote them out. So, I can count on you (Alsodave) in that effort?

Alsodave

Post Number: 810
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can count on me to vote. Did it absentee for the first time this past presidential election. Quick and painless.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4365
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Jcole - I tried to download the Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool off their site, but Firefox prevents that, no matter what I do. I even disabled the firewall while trying. Any ideas ? I don't seem to have the worm, but I'd like to have a removal tool, just in case. See my ad, (will work for..) in the classifieds, in case you can email me a small fix !

Thanks

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19788
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You voted for McCain Alsodave? Good for you.

Alsodave

Post Number: 814
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope.

I voted. Good for me (and the country).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.