Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Lake Superior has almost completely frozen over » Archive through March 09, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 390
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This photo shows what is thought will be the maximum ice coverage on the lake this season. Wow!

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/mqt/?n =lake_superior_ice

Mopardan
Username: Mopardan

Post Number: 234
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The high-res pic is awesome.
This ought to douse the Global Warming theory with a few gallons of gas. ;-) Seriously though, thanks for posting the link.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9549
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soon it will be time for this guy to get to work.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9550
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Christening and launching of the Ice Breaker Mackinaw:

http://www.mightymac.org/macki nawlaunch1.htm

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 721
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was on Lake St. Clair yesterday and measured 15" on ice in a few spots. In 20 years of fishing there that's the thickest ice I can remember seeing here this late into the season.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9551
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the snow and ice this year will be great for the lakes. They had been hurting for awhile. Good for the economy, too!

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090107/M ETRO/901070400

quote:

From a historic low in the summer of 2007, Lake Superior should reach a level that is more than a foot higher by June. The Lake Michigan/Huron system should be up nearly half a foot from 2007, and Lake St. Clair could have risen by 2 inches since that time. The increased precipitation that has fueled the growth in the northernmost lakes has not completely trickled down to Lakes Erie and Ontario yet. While both lakes should be higher than in 2007, they are projected to start the coming summer slightly below last year's levels.

quote:

"For much of the fleet in the Great Lakes, an inch of added draft can mean the ability to add another 8,000 tons of cargo," said Glen Nekvasil, vice president of the Lake Carriers Association, a trade group representing the shipping industry.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3963
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, even Lake Erie is mostly ice covered. You guys have had a brutal winter this year (I type as I adjust my laptop on my back yard patio....)

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 278
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, it’s that time again. Ice-breaking operations in the Soo should start this Monday, 3/9/09. http://www.boatnerd.com/news/n ews14.htm

The Soo Locks open at midnight on 3/25/09. A few crazy folks will be there when it happens.

Assuming any boats are there to greet the opening, I will, too. It’s going to be a very rough year for the boats, given the downturn in the steel industry.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090302/M ETRO/903020322/1410/METRO01

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4502
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, Lake Erie freezes over most every year--it's by far the shallowest of the Great Lakes.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2022
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I type as I adjust my laptop on my back yard patio....

... where you have no water to freeze.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3601
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

H is for Huron, on Michigan's East,
O's for Ontario, in size the least,
M is for Michigan, which four states share,
E is for Erie, but we don't go down there.
S is Superior, to which none can compare.
(But then some would say we should consider St. Clair.)

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8625
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

st clair is really just a very deep swamp

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9553
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you made St. Clair a Great Lake, then you'd have Houghton Lake whining. It's a slippery slope.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8626
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, then Higgins lake would want in...orchard lake... then my pond

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 204
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this chart shows ice thickness in the great lakes.
http://140.90.54.35/pub/great_ lakes/D9_Support/Current.jpg

I was up in the copper country in January. The lake sure is a sight during winter, as is the U.P. itself. All the snow this year should bring up the lake levels some.

http://www.pasty.com/snow/inde x.html

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19204
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Impossible, haven't these reporters seen or read "An Inconvenient Truth"?

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cc...its called climate change for a reason, the overall trend is warming...

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19217
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it? And if it is, does that mean that we know the cause (and are it)? Or could it be natural variation?

D_mcc

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure it's a combination of natural variation and the millions of tons of CO2 gas vented into the atmosphere year after year, especially with all the hot air that you expel

What is the difference between climate and weather?
Because climate can be thought of as average weather, the two are closely related. However, climate and weather are different. The main distinction between the two is the timeframe. Weather describes short-term atmospheric conditions in a specific place, such as a sunny day in Los Angeles or a snowstorm in Boston. Climate, on the other hand, refers to average atmospheric conditions over an extended period of time, such as decades or centuries. Using the cities of Los Angeles and Boston as examples again, these two locations have very different climates, even though their weather can possibly be similar on any one day.

What is the difference between climate change and global warming?
The term climate change is often used interchangeably with the term global warming, but according to the National Academy of Sciences, "the phrase 'climate change' is growing in preferred use to 'global warming' because it helps convey that there are [other] changes in addition to rising temperatures." Climate change refers to any significant change in measures of climate (such as temperature, precipitation, or wind) lasting for an extended period (decades or longer). Global warming is an average increase in the temperature of the atmosphere near the Earth's surface and in the troposphere, which can contribute to changes in global climate patterns. Global warming and climate change can be caused by a variety of factors, both natural and human-induced.

Source: EPA Climate Change Basic Information

Classicyesfan
Username: Classicyesfan

Post Number: 614
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A recent poll shows 66% of the population does not believe in evolution, preferring to believe the beautiful lie of "intelligent design". I wonder how many of them also do not believe in global warming?

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19235
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irrelevant...science is not a matter of surveys of belief. All that will tell you is how effective Al Gore's con job is.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for ignoring my posts again...tool

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19259
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Semantic waffling to evade being held to account for the consequences of the massive deceptions of Al Gore's movement.

Tsk, tsk, name calling with such little provocation D_mcc?

D_mcc

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you consider Tool a name...then sure, and where is the waffling? There is a scientifically proven WARMING trend...the earth isn't getting cooler...

Do you also believe Jeebus put the dinosaur fossils in the earth to test us???

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19277
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waffling is to abandon "warming" for "change" in order to assure that you will not be proven wrong.

Once more, you assume incorrectly about me D_mcc. I do not believe in creationism.

Classicyesfan
Username: Classicyesfan

Post Number: 632
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Once more, you assume incorrectly about me D_mcc. I do not believe in creationism."

That's ok, Palin will tolerate you in the Sovereign Land of Alaska.

I'm not sure if the Tea Party Movement will allow such dissent.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19292
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, she will. Philosophic disagreement over things not political does not hamper conservatives as much as it does liberals.

Try being a staunch Christian at the DNC and see how tolerant they are of you. Heck, try being of a different race and see what they have to say about it....and then proceed to choose one of the worst offenders as your Vice President.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How the fuck did a conversation about ice on Lake superior become a political pissing match for Ccbatson and others. Keep your dumb-ass political opinions where they belong... up your ass right next to your heads.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9574
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was almost a cool thread about Michigan's maritime culture. Although I could have told you that would happen because weather was mentioned, and some blowhards can't help themselves from sharing opinions we already know and have heard over, and over, and over... You know, dog people, the sorts that need attention.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 4570
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wonder what the effects on the wolf packs on Isle royal? If they had a brutal fall they may be inclined to migrate across the ice looking for food? any thought?