Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Free Cell phones, free minutes and we pay for it. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3483
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are we paying for free cell phones? I understand the low/no income folks looking for jobs. But, don't people without a phone at a job interview just say contact someone they know with a phone? This is a government funded program.

http://www.ehow.com/how_482566 1_phones-cellular-service-safe link-wireless.html

""It is now possible to get a free cell phone and free cellphone service, even if you cannot afford to pay the monthly charges. If you qualify for the SafeLink program, which is now offered in Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, New York, Pennsylvania, and Virginia, you may be able to get a cell phone an cell phone service for free. In addition, SafeLink Wireless cellphone service will be offered in Alabama,Connecticut,D. of Columbia,Delaware,New Hampshire and North Carolina soon. Keep checking the SafeLink website to keep stay informed.""

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4212
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are these recycled cell phones, Sstashmoo ? They collect tons of them everyday, from people upgrading.

I've also seen Tracfones as low as $10 with 30 minutes air time. Maybe we can collect just one of those AIG bonuses to pay for this program that lets these people have emergency phone service.

With all of the Government waste I've seen during the Iraq war, I don't begrudge just a low cost emergency phone for the low income segment of our society.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3484
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are brand new Motorola tracphones. I'm a bit mixed about it as well. Cell phones just seem like a luxury in most cases. Someone with kids and emergencies, I can see it. Otherwise, no. I just smell a backroom deal shuffled in on the taxpayers.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9649
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where do you see they are brand new Motorola tracphones? I checked both your link, and the SafeLink web site, and do not see that information stated.

I know I have donated old phones to the Sheriff's department in the past.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4214
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Walmart had new Motorola W175 Tracfones for $10 with 30 min., and made a profit off them, I'm sure.
For anybody to go through the paper hassle to get a free phone, they must really need them. Cell phones are no longer a luxury, with the demise of public pay phones. And besides, everything is a back room deal when it concerns taxpayers.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait until sstashmoo finds out that his tax dollars are going to buy phones and minutes for illegals and other foreigners.

Haha, someone is using your money frivolously.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 279
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the SafeLink site using a 48209 ZIP:

Benefits in Michigan
Through SafeLink Wireless’ Lifeline Service you can receive:

A FREE SafeLink Wireless phone
A FREE cellular plan that gives you 68 Minutes every month

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3486
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Wait until sstashmoo finds out that his tax dollars are going to buy phones and minutes for illegals and other foreigners.
Haha, someone is using your money frivolously"

Wait till the US is totally broke HAHA..

John, they are new phones, I seen one. They come factory sealed etc. It's probably cheaper to buy a new phone from China than put a new battery in your old one. Digital watches used to be like that, the watch cost 3 dollars and a year later a new battery for it cost 4 dollars.

Rick, Those have international minutes too, so those illegals here can call home. :-) America what a country.

(Message edited by Sstashmoo on March 18, 2009)

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19503
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo, are you becoming a conservative? If so, welcome.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1889
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

John, they are new phones, I seen one.

You seen one, huh? Pretty funny coming from someone that likes to bitch about people that don't speak English.

quote:

They come factory sealed etc.

So do refurbished phones, which is most likely what people are getting under the program.

You can get a Tracfone for what, $10? And that includes the first 60 minutes. Then you can get a 60 minute phone card for probably under $5.

So there's a program, possibly with a government grant, but provided by Tracfone Wireless, Inc. It cost very little to provide the benefit that could really help some people. But rest assured here comes sstashmoo to bitch about how poor people, the indigent and possibly foreigners are getting something for nothing. You would think that they are using his personal cell phone to make long distance and possibly international calls.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1890
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can have him, cc. I wouldn't want someone like him on my side.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19507
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rational thought and liberalism are like oil and water Cheddar.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1891
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're wrong, cc.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19509
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yet you, amongst others, constantly prove my statement correct here.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1893
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No we don't.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3487
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "I seen one"

Here, let me fix that for you and you only:

John, I have seen one of them.

Now you can take that twist out of your manty-hose. Any hopes you'll pass that stone any time soon?

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1896
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If by "stone" you mean pointing out all of the stupid, wrong shit you say then no.

You're just mad that I'm pointing out that you're throwing stones while living in a glass house.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1333
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do people like Bats hate the poor so much?

I'd rather see my tax dollars go towards giving someone less off than myself a cell phone instead of... say a new road in Iraq or more money to pro up the Saudi Monarchy or even AIG bonuses.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1830
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People like Ccbatson do not hate the poor per se, IF they live in other countries. They actually LIKE the poor who sit on vast untapped oil fields, or are the inexhaustible sweatshop labor source of the global corporate capitalists.

But here in the US, they are simply an annoying and troublesome class of people who should be homeless, starving, or in prison if they can not or will not follow the conservative mantra of "personal responsibility"

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1898
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With a citation to Barnesphoto, maybe these conservatives should go live in Mexico. It's just about everything they want. Low taxes, almost no abortions, no welfare, and very christian.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bats would not like their "marxist leanings", and besides, he's not Christian.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3488
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: " Low taxes, almost no abortions, no welfare, and very christian."

Sounds like a nice place. That is why folks of Latino heritage are such good people. God is being removed from the US, one short-sighted liberal at a time. It's turning it's back. See what it is getting us? "In God we trust" "United we stand" This country is falling without God.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstash, with all your hatred, me thinks your not really a Christian?

God does not hate foreigners.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3489
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "me thinks your not really a Christian?"

Big deal..

Detroitej72

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you admit your not a Christian?

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3490
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"with all your hatred,"

Show me a post, where I ever said I hated anyone.

"God does not hate foreigners."

And who said he did? I didn't.

"So you admit your not a Christian?"

No offense, but I only admit I owe no one an answer to that.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Rick, Those have international minutes too, so those illegals here can call home. America what a country."
______________________________ ____________________

That sounds like sarcasm, and if I may, hatred.

"Cell phones just seem like a luxury in most cases."

IMO, more hatred towards those with no phones, or homes to have a telephone.

As far as you hateing forigners, well, I admit I read Cheddar_bob's response for that one.

If you are a TRUE CHRISTIAN, then you will gladly give your money(by charity or taxes) to folks who are of lesser means than you without b!tch!ng.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3491
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: """Rick, Those have international minutes too, so those illegals here can call home. America what a country."

That sounds like sarcasm, and if I may, hatred."

Sounds like someone pointing out the ludicrous and ridiculous manner in which our government pisses away our money.

Quote: "If you are a TRUE CHRISTIAN, then you will gladly give your money(by charity or taxes) to folks who are of lesser means than you without b!tch!ng."

What about being "wise stewards"? The whole principle of tithing does not mean drive down the road throwing money out the window. Furthermore, too much emphasis is put on donations by Church supported preachers, they have a dog in the race, and it is not the poor, it's keeping their "job". We have a welfare system now that didn't exist when much of that was written, many of us pay to support already.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19528
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"True Christian"?? Wrong, "True Communist".

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1899
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are very cheap, refurbished phones with a handful of minutes that could help some poor people get a job, benefits, healthcare, or child services. This is a very small price to pay, and for sstashmoo it probably cost less than a penny. To him this cost to help other people is "ludicrous" and "ridiculous" snd money that is "pissed away".

It is obvious that he is a typical christian that claims to subscribe to the principles (and they are generally good principles), but whose actions are generally opposite of those priciples.

He has stated that if you don't speak the language he speaks, you should either learn to speak like him or leave the country. Does that sound like something Jesus would say?

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19538
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHo is paying? Who "chose" to pay? Or did somebody choose for the people paying? That is the most important distinction.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1900
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a stupid question, cc.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3493
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "He has stated that if you don't speak the language he speaks, you should either learn to speak like him or leave the country."

Another fabrication from you. I never said that. I said people should learn our language if they plan on living here. That will do them more good than a cell phone.

Quote: "It is obvious that he is a typical christian that claims to subscribe to the principles (and they are generally good principles), but whose actions are generally opposite of those priciples."

It's obvious I don't fit YOUR definition of the term. And that is undoubtedly a good thing.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19558
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THe word you are looking for is "rhetorical", not stupid (as in question), Cheddar.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, "stupid" was the correct term.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19577
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How would you know? I asked the question rhetorically (as is obvious).

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1912
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know because that is the exact adjective I wanted to use to describe your question. I'm not sure what you think gives you the right to decide what descriptive term I want to use, but since it is my opinion, I can use whatever term I see fit. In this case it was stupid. I get to decide my opinion, not you.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19583
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am merely pointing out that you are using the wrong word. You are free to do so as much as you like, as I am free to point out why it is incorrect.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1913
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes, in the case of a difference of opionion, there is no right or wrong. Just two different viewpoints. This is such a case.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19599
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No...wrong use of the word given the rhetoric nature of the phrase (mine) on which it is based. An absolute.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1914
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So your question was rhetorical. That may be true. I think it was a stupid question and this is also true. I know it is your MO to try to control other peoples' opinions, but you can't. You may think that someone is wrong because they think that the Mona Lisa is a piece of shit, but that doesn't change the fact that they have an opinion on the matter.

I say your question was stupid, what are you going to do about it?

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19618
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course I can't. But I can point ouit that 2+2 does not equal 6, even if it is your opinion that it does.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7946
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He didn't.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1915
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think your question was stupid. It's a subjective opinion, not an unrefutable fact like mathmatics.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19637
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sigh...I know that Bob....I am explaining why the question is not stupid (but rhetorical) which is a logical syllogism resembling the rational process of mathematics...hence the simple math analogy.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1918
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say your question was stupid and you're not going to change my mind, no matter how much explaining you do. Give up. There's nothing you can do about it.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19697
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course I will not change your mind...nor do I care to. What I have accomplished however, is to win this debate via compelling arguments greater in number and validity then your attempts.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2069
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the latest tally, you guys are tied.

Please do (not) keep trying to "win."

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1923
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You didn't win anything, cc. If saying you won is all it takes then I say I won. And you lost.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4303
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The great debate, (did so, did not, did so, did not, did so, did not, did so, did not, did so, did not, did so, did not.........)

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19739
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take each argument and score them as 0 (no argument), -1 (meaning weakening the poster's position), or +1 for a solid or compelling argument in favor of the position of the poster.

Total the points, and the victor for that debate is the one with the highest positive score (me).

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 795
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And does the "highest positive score" equal 19739 (at least on this thread)?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7991
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Total the points, and the victor for that debate is the one with the highest positive score (me).

From another thread:
quote:

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19731
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 11:45 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
No idea...you don't think this anonymous local forum is what would be considered the public spotlight...do you

It's all about...

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1930
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even though a casual glance would suggest your scoring system favors those who monotonously repeat the same thing ad nauseum (you), I counted it up and I won by one. Thanks for playing.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19746
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you sure Cheddar? Better use fingers and toes and check again.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1933
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, using even your guidelines, I win. Thanks for your concern. Even though you lost, it was a good effort. If this were Little League we would give a ribbon that says, "Participant".

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19796
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both feet and hands Cheddar?

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1946
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little over 11 hours left for you to be somewhat relevant, cc.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.