Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Obama on Tonight show » Archive through March 18, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 349
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just an idle thought.

I see that President Obama is going to make an appearance on the Tonight Show Thursday.

And as we all know, Jay Leno is going to make an appearance in Michigan in the near future.

If you could write the script, what would you want Jay Leno to ask Barrack Obama?

Myself it would be, "Why don't you come with me to Michigan?"

Yours?

Maxdetroit
Username: Maxdetroit

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Barack, you've been in office 8 weeks and you don't have Michigan up and running yet? What's wrong with you, man?

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3892
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and we'll stop in at Detroit City Hall and slap around a few council members. Sound like fun?"

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 802
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 2018, would you be willing to run for Mayor of Detroit?

Running the country for 8 years was just a warm-up.

Switchmanjim
Username: Switchmanjim

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jay: If you're not busy why don't you come to 'Detroit' with me...perhaps you could persuade 'em to rename Cobo to Cobama.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jay: President Obama, you're the most powerful man in the world. What the hell are you doing on a show that is known for up and coming comedians and movie stars who are hawking their latest movie?

I just can't grasp hold of the idea of the president of the United States appearing on Leno.
Very strange.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3895
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah - this a first for an in the office President isn't it?

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. President, when you get back to DC in the morning, I want Detroit fixed.

FIX IT!

Step one, identify the problem.
Step two, fix the problem.
Step three, repeat as necessary until it is all FIXED.

FIX IT! I WANT IT FIXED!

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 423
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No shit Rjk.

WTF is going on here? We've lost almost all of our retirement money, our house has lost %50 of its value. Our jobs are on the line every day.

Our esteemed leader is going to go on Leno for what? To yuck it up and show us all how charming he is?

Fuck that. Get your ass back to Washington and fix this shit. Now is not the time for celebrity interviews.

Mr. President is out doing fucking celebrity interviews while the country is collapsing.

It's down right scary.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3482
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering about this guy 4 weeks ago and I was made light of. Now 8 weeks have passed and he's doing guest appearances on Leno.

Not to sound impatient or cast aspersions, but we got some serious shit in this country that needs to be addressed pronto. Like our ridiculous trade situation for one. Call me impatient, but in 80 when Reagan took office and the economy was in the throes, he jumped on it and things happened in days, not months.

We got one shot at this as I see it. Hope he don't blow it.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 464
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised Martha Reeves isn't upset because the President isn't going on the Mildred Gaddis Show.

Nate
Username: Nate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you guys might be overreacting. Bush spent how many days at his ranch during his presidency?

I appreciate the fact that Obama is willing to talk to people on TV - its a way for him to talk about what hes trying to do in a format that people will actually listen to. Should he be writing legislation 24 hours a day?

Maxdetroit
Username: Maxdetroit

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leno: "President Obama, why did you agree to come on this cheap sleazy TV show when you could be doing something really dignified like clearing brush or shooting someone in the face with birdshot?"

Rjk

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I think you guys might be overreacting. Bush spent how many days at his ranch during his presidency?"

It's not a time issue to me. It's about acting presidential and with integrity.

I didn't like it when Bush did that goofy little dance when the African-American music group was playing at the White House. I want the president of the United States acting in a respectable manner, not acting like a goofball.

Take a look at who Jay's guests are this week
Don't you think there's one person in that group who is really "a lot" more important as far as what he has to deal with and the responsibilities he has?
http://www.nbc.com/The_Tonight _Show_with_Jay_Leno/calendar/

He's the president of the United States, the most powerful person in the world for Christ's sake. He's going to be sitting on Jay Leno's couch?

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4573
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I didn't like it when Bush did that goofy little dance when the African-American music group was playing at the White House. I want the president of the United States acting in a respectable manner, not acting like a goofball.

I'm kinda curious to know how people know that President Obama is going to be chilling out, yukking it up on Jay Leno's couch in Burbank.

Did it occur to anyone that it might be a brief appearance via satellite, and that the tone might be a bit serious in nature?

Unless, of course, someone knows where to find the President's travel schedule....

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6230
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjk... didn't you ever hear of Richard Nixon show up on Rowan & Martin's Laugh-in in the early 1970's and say "Sock it to me"... or were you too young for that one?

In either case... you're making a meal out of a morsel... so he's going to be on Leno... with him inheriting an economy in shambles... perhaps a little humor might be a good thing for Americans worried about their jobs and retirement nest eggs.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 783
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He will be in Cali for a town hall meeting on Thurs. Pres Obama tries to get out of DC and that crazyness at least one day out of the week when possible and get among the people. He usually takes that opportunity to roll out parts of his political agenda . I don't have a problem with that. Some of what he wants to do will be so bitterly fought in congress he will need the people if not on his side to at least understand where he is coming from. He's been on the Leno show before and he's not really going out of his way to do the show.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 869
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like Jay to ask him exactly WHEN he's planning on keeping his promise to stop the earmarks..he's already laid foundations to more "bridges to nowhere" in the first couple months of his presidency than any other prez can claim in a career, and his new budget plan is filled with more of 'em.
Also, I'd like Mr. Leno to question the urgency with which Mr. Obama is trying to force such bills through the house & senate..seems like they barely have time for the ink to dry, much less to be read & debated.

teaparty

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 989
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good thing I get booted from the computer in 4minutes. This big old mess were in won't be fixed anytime soon, so sit back either which way and see how things pan out.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 786
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zrx_doug, I take it that you're not exactly happy with the direction our pres is taking us. I'm not sure that Jay is the one to ask those kinds of questions. Leno probably wouldn't know an earmark if it ran up and said OINK to him.

First of all Obama never promise to stop the earmarks, he promised earmark reform and he has laid out what he wants to see as far as transparency.

His stimulus bill "by definition" didn't have earmarks in it.

The Ommibus bill he signed which was written before he was elected had a bunch of earmarks 40% of which came from Republicans, but it also had the funding so that DC can operate.

Obama's budget reflects different priorities that we hope in time will make this country better.

Time for bills to be read is just more Republican talking point glibberish that they throw out there. Read up on the realities of how bills get written and passed and you will know what I mean.

Rjk

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 5:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nixon did the sock it to me routine in the fall of 1968 before he became president.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 976
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the grand scheme of things is appearing on Leno any different than throwing out the first pitch on opening day or something like that?

As far as "acting dignified", since when is the President royalty? The whole concept of the presidency as opposed to a monarchy is that the president can be someone who comes from the people while a King does not. Since when did we expect our president to put on airs and find certain things to be "beneath" him? As far as I'm concerned, as long as he isn't telling fart jokes or letting Jack Hanna drape him in animals he'll be fine.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 650
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

S: Your quote: "...in 80 when Reagan took office and the economy was in the throes, he jumped on it and things happened in days, not months..."

What happened? Did you forget about the recession in '82? The savings and loan deregulations that later brought scandal? Other than begin a systematic transfer of wealth from those who work and produce goods and services to a wealthy elite, I do not remember any great contributions from Reagan.

Daytwa
Username: Daytwa

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love old Ronny but Bob is right in that the boom of the 80's did not begin until years into Reagan's presidency. He took a lot of criticism for this during his first few years.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 870
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First and ten, THANK YOU! Simplistic folks like me and Jay Leno would surely not be able to find our ass with both hands and a flashlight if it weren't for intelligent folk like yourself who show us the way.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 407
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Did it occur to anyone that it might be a brief appearance via satellite, and that the tone might be a bit serious in nature?"
Unless, of course, someone knows where to find the President's travel schedule."

Nope Danno-among other things he's out here to visit a CAR PLANT, or rather, an ELECTRIC CAR PLANT. Obama's people don't think they have those in Detroit, like when he lectured you like children over those 45 mpg "Japanese cars" you fail to match the CAFE standards of. One of our morning news shows out here said his Transition Team mapped this visit out so Obama would have photo ops in Republican Strongholds & well, Michigan doesn't have those;

http://www.insidesocal.com/dav idallen/2009/03/obama-coming-t o-pomona.html

http://www.dailybulletin.com/c olumnists/ci_11934219

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 454
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its a good PR move. I do not think its a waste of time at all, its a new approach for reaching people that might not watch the news, or his speeches.

They guy is working his ass off, if he thinks going on the Tonight Show will help, then I support his decision.

Philm
Username: Philm

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Call me impatient, but in 80 when Reagan took office and the economy was in the throes, he jumped on it and things happened in days, not months."

Wow, do you have a short memory or what.

Oh, and by the way, he laid the groundwork for the shit we are in right now.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4579
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's a great move on Obama's part. Unlike his predecessor, it seems like he's making a great effort to keep us all apprised of what he thinks, his strategies, and how his administration plans to address problems at hand.

The upshot with a Tonight Show appearance is that it airs at a different time of day, and attracts a different type of audience, than the standard press conference. The informality should help him connect with "regular" people, who aren't necessarily political junkies, and it bypasses the filter of talking heads.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5399
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not only that but more conservatives watch Leno than Letterman.