Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Why I'd rather live here than LA « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8733
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://articles.latimes.com/20 09/feb/10/local/me-water-restr ictions10

It seems to me that an intelligent society wouldn't put way more people into the desert than they can feed/water. maybe we should start charging $10/gallon for all the bottled water we ship out there

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5413
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$10/gallon if they buy American based and built
$1,000/gallon if they don't

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 790
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the next big political battle. The Great Lakes states and our water vs the Western states and their lack of water. If you think the Southern senators were heartless as they bashed us the Western senators will be just as bad if not worst.

Rb336

Post Number: 8736
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

luckily, we have the weight of law in the form of both US laws and international treaties to protect them.

I had a friend in CA during one of their worst dry spells. he used to call all winter bragging on the sun and warmth. that summer, he was bitchin and moaning about the water restrictions. I made a video of me wasting water every way I could think of and sent it to him

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 4608
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

while dining in San Fran...I was scolded by a waiter for asking for a third glass of H2O with my dinner...at first I thought he was joking.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Location, location, location

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19545
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A new opportunity for entrepreneurs... desalination factories.

Liberals will find some reason why it can't be allowed and prefer to allow people to suffer, but....worth mentioning.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 4610
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what liberals would fight against a program like the ones in Israel if it would mean better conditions for others...I would counter that with how much profit could be made before the right invested in it.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19548
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only if the program is a government operation would liberals approve. The Catch 22 being that government programs are ineffective and costly.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6825
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup has the right idea.
quote:

$10/gallon if they buy American based and built
$1,000/gallon if they don't

That's the kind of thinking that not only solves the problem but eventually solves the cause of the problem as well.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4238
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Only if the program is a government operation would liberals approve.

Only if it was a Muslim Quatar operation, would Cc approve.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19579
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only if a free individual (or group of individuals) undertook the endeavor primarily for their own benefit via providing a desired/needed service or product at the best prices would I approve.

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A kind word for L.A.. In the late 90's, we took a family vacation to LA over Christmas break so our daughter could tour the California Institute of Technology campus. We enjoyed our time there. The weather was better than Mid-west weather. The Oregon Ducks were staying in our hotel to play Penn State in the Rose Bowl the next day. The Ducks were hanging around the lobby late into the night with their girlfriends before getting beat. Venice Beach, its sideshows and the manta ray we saw in one of it's canals were awesome. Driving down Santa Monica Boulevard, I was keeping my eyes open for a car wash and bar combination. CIT was easily the most impressive academic institution I've seen - sort of a science monestary of 900 students with the highest average scores in the country. We didn't experience any traffic jams or smog.

What didn't work though was Christmas decorations. Green and red primary colors did not fit in with all the pastels that are southern California. I suppose that even the Christmas theme seemed out of synch with the flora and culture of L.A..

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2991
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If we don't take care of our water, we will be in the same fix as other areas overpopulated for their resources. We are overusing and undercaring for our valuable water, right here, right now.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5417
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not quite, Gazhekwe. No community is allowed to draw from the Lakes unless they are in the Lakes watershed so anything we use (less evaporation) runs back into the Lakes. There are few other places that can do that.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19581
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How are we not taking care of the water?

This sounds like more environmental arrogance to me.

Remember that we are less than the smallest flea on the largest dog when it comes to our impact and power over our environment.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6249
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup is correct. I remember Livernois_yard mentioning that Waukesha Wisconsin a western outer suburb of Milwaukee was just over the ridge and out of the Great Lakes watershead (in the Mississippi watershed).

Waukesha was not allowed to tap into the greater Milwaukee water system, but neighboring Brookfield WI was.

I doubt that there is any place in Michigan that is not in the Great Lakes watershed (or is there?).

But that does beg the question about greater Chicago and the Chicago River flowing towards the Mississippi... Hmmmmmm....

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2160
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the Great Lakes water levels are up this year, so drink up, and for god sakes....take a shower!

Gistok

Post Number: 6250
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL... Chitaku... in Denver they had commercials about the drought situation there... they said take a quick shower... and wash only the dirty parts! :-(

Rb336

Post Number: 8737
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Remember that we are less than the smallest flea on the largest dog when it comes to our impact and power over our environment"

let's see a tiny flea totally alter its environment the way we have done. let's see a flea create a toxic river on the back of that dog.

CC, that has got to be the stupidest thing you have ever posted here

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2999
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are profligate with our water. We let the shower run for minutes before we are ready step in, we let it run while we brush our teeth and wash dishes, we freely fill pools and wash cars. We flush chemicals into it from our houses, and we allow large companies to pollute it. Every drop we use has to be reprocessed and put back into the system. The reprocessing adds chemicals and pollutants like medical waste build up. Just because we have a lot of water, we do not address these issues responsibly.

Then we move to water hungry areas like Denver, Phoenix or Atlanta, and we continue our bad habits there. We are irresponsible in the extreme, which affects the lifeblood of our planet.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19608
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the planet's perspective (given it's life span of millions of years), the whole human race will not even be an identifiable entity in a relatively short period of time. Like that tinniest flea, we can make things uncomfortable for ourselves, but not the dog. The guiding factor should be what is in our own better interest, not the planet's. BTW, that does not include fantasies put upon the gullible by Al Gore.

Rb...not one of the stupidest, rather, one of the most profound and rational things posted by me.

Gistok

Post Number: 6255
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CC, you sound like the announcer for Rocky Horror Picture Show...

"and crawling on the planets face... some insect called the human race..."

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19638
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More compelling then that bizarre B movie by far.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Compelling indeed...

Rb336

Post Number: 8753
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

btw, what is in OUR best interests is a highly liveable, diverse planet. i pity poor bats, who clearly can't see the tree for its wood

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19659
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems highly livable to me from where I sit. Absent Al Gore's phoney doomsday prophecies, I see no reason to believe otherwise.

Rb336

Post Number: 8763
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

put up or shut up, bats

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need to market our water more. Come live in Michigan were the water is.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19674
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are you referring to Rb?

Kenp...maybe so?, but I don't think marketting is needed for something so obvious.

Unfettering commerce (tax relief) and ousting liberals would be far more beneficial.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.