Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Lake Superior has almost completely frozen over » Archive through March 14, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2928
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a good question. Maybe the DNR has something to say about that, or on the Isle Royal national park site. They and the moose have been having a heck of a time, as one diminishes the other struggles. The moose are in a real decline and there have been many adjustments in the wolf packs, including the pack killing off an alpha male.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2929
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are notes on this year's winter study:

http://www.isleroyalewolf.org/ wsjournal/wtrstdy/index/index. html

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9576
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

3/9 - Sault Ste. Marie, Mich. - It’s a dirty job, but someone has to do it. And that someone just happens to have a camera crew in tow.

Mike Rowe, the star of The Discovery Channel’s “Dirty Jobs,” will be visiting three Upper Peninsula worksites next week — including a swing through Sault Ste. Marie to experience maintenance in the Soo Locks with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Executive Director Linda Hoath, of the Sault Area Convention and Visitors Bureau, confirmed the crew’s itinerary would include a stop in Sault Ste. Marie with the latest word from the west coast indicating the visitors should arrive here sometime on Monday.

Hoath said the idea was pitched during Rowe’s last visit to the area when he scaled the Mackinac Bridge and performed other duties associated with the state’s most notable landmark for a show that aired back in August of 2007.

Hoath said Rowe’s 2009 Upper Peninsula visit is tentatively scheduled for stops in Mackinac Island and over by Escanaba, but she naturally centered most of her enthusiasm around the Sault Ste. Marie visit.

“It will provide recognition for Sault Ste. Marie and the Soo Locks,” said Hoath, predicting good things from the national exposure for the region.

Hoath said the Convention and Visitor’s Bureau will send a gift to Rowe’s motel room during his stay in Sault Ste. Marie: “to welcome him to this historic city.”

The ‘Working Man’s Basket’ will contain gloves, heavy winter socks, a bottle of wine and a big sweatshirt bearing the Sault Ste. Marie name and logo.

Soo Evening News

Mike Rowe, back again. I got dizzy watching him climb to the top of the Mighty Mac to change the lightbulb.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you guys for returning to the subject.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 4571
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is an interesting and fun topic...I remember that the original wolf packs came to the isle over the ice.. I had a opportunity to study them in the 1970's a decision that I still regret that I didn't do so... the balance of nature is played out in a micro scale there..but what a wonderful story...it is sad to think that the balance is so delicate but also a indication of how fragile life is.

Gibran

Post Number: 4572
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

our oceans of the plains...think of how important our lakes are...from recreation to a natural balance for the floral and fauna... I hated to see the lake levels shrink...so we should be excited by the rising potential...

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8642
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when was the last time Michigan froze over? seems to me it usually is pretty clear down in the south end of the lake

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9580
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to WGN Chief Meteorologist:

quote:

The Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory at Ann Arbor, Mich., tells us Lake Michigan has never completely frozen over, a result of the vast reservoir of heat contained in the lake and constant wind and wave action that inhibits ice formation.

In an average winter, ice eventually covers a little less than half of the lake. Because the lake extends more than 300 miles from north to south, most of the open water is in the south part where the cold is less severe. Ice did extend across more than 90% of the surface of Lake Michigan by the end of three of the Midwest's coldest winters (1903-04, 1976-77 and 1978-79)

http://blogs.trb.com/news/weat her/weblog/wgnweather/2007/02/ has_lake_michigan_ever_frozen. html

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9581
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Graphs of Lake Michigan ice cover from NOAA:

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/data /ice/atlas/daily_ice_cover/dai ly_averages/plots/michigan/mig allery/index.html

Rb336

Post Number: 8644
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WGN - The Prairie Farmer Station!

Thanks JL

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9582
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran

Post Number: 4573
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

love that leland...I could so live there

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19310
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well...that is still climate change, right? More ice and lower temperatures...still manmade global warming...just now it is man made global catastrophic climate change...right?

The next step is to coerce and deceive everyone with this fallacy in order to make money.

The Al Gore formula

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2931
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fishtown! Love that place.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19315
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excited about rising water levels? ANd have New York city underwater as predicted by Al Gore? But, wait a minute, his models had it occurring from increased, not decreased temperatures.

Dizzying, isn't it? just the way Al intends it to be.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bats, you really need to find a new hobby. Your obsesion with Gore is getting a bit tiresome.

Back to topic, the lakes being frozen over have to be good for the lake levels. Combined with all the snow and rain, I think they should be in good shape this year for all the boaters.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2932
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the impact of greater ice cover? I seem to recall less evaporation, so potentially higher water levels. Traditionally we believed the winter weather abated somewhat once Superior was ice covered, but I believe there are recent studies that don't support that idea.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2933
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found some info. It's specifically about Lake Erie, but the impact would apply to any of the Great Lakes:

Ice cover can impact the economy by impeding or stopping navigation, interfering with power plants and cooling water intakes, and damaging shore structures. Other potential economic impacts of reduced ice cover could include a longer shipping season, increased evaporation, lower lake levels, increased dredging for navigation, lower ship cargo capacity, reduced winter recreational activities, and loss of critical habitats.

http://www.epa.gov/med/grossei le_site/indicators/lake-erie-i ce.html

Rb336

Post Number: 8647
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Excited about rising water levels? ANd have New York city underwater as predicted by Al Gore? "

bats, we are talking Great Lakes water levels which are distinct from oceanic water levels. The lakes have spent years with declining levels from not freezing over

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9587
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've personally only ever been through the Cheboygan Locks.

You hold a rope and down you go. Just be sure to be back before the locks close at night.

http://www.fishweb.com/maps/cheboygan/cheboygan/river/locks/index.html

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2934
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool! We have a family tradition that my grandfather took a rowboat through the Soo locks back in the 20s. At the time, there were two locks, the Davis and the Sabin. My dad would tell the story to show that the locks were for everyone, not just the big ore boats.

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 948
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it possible to have a nice thread without politics getting involved CC Bats? Wow, do I feel sorry for who is ever in a relationship with you; you need professional help.

Back to topic: On the plus side it looks like the best looking freight Lake Boat on the Great Lakes, the Edward L. Ryerson will be outfitted and sailing on 04/02/2009! Many thought in the economy and not being a self unloader she would not run this season, so Hooray!

http://www.boatnerd.com/pictur es/fleet/elr.htm

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 5096
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is it possible to have a nice thread without politics getting involved CC Bats

I think he has yet to invade the People we dig, Music and Cooking threads.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You’re right about the Ryerson, Cinderpath. But this sure illustrates what strange economic times we live in.

She went to the wall early last year because of the economy, since she’s one of the least efficient vessels out there. But, she’ll be one of the few sailing this year, because ArcelorMittal owns her, & it’s cheaper for them to run their own boat than charter a more efficient one.

I am not complaining, however. That means we’re guaranteed at least a couple salutes at Downtown this shipping season! :-)

Rb336

Post Number: 8655
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the ryerson is a beaut

Gibran

Post Number: 4575
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here is why winter can be tolerated in the splended UP

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 951
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice shot Gibran!- Where was this taken? I do have to agree, a nice winter-scape is indeed beautiful. My mom grew up in Baraga, and grandfather's side are all from up there. Oh the stories she tells about winter, indeed a different way of life.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2944
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The water isn't frozen, though, so it isn't really winter. ;)

Gibran

Post Number: 4576
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I took it, but it is Marquette near the beach. Shows what winter also brings.

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 254
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

let's get Bats kicked off this forum for good! show of hands?