Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Food again. Let's not lose it this time! » Archive through March 13, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3646
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HA HA HA! You is one HUNGRY MAN!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3830
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ZZZZZ

Bigb23

Post Number: 3904
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I got my "Jiffy" mix cookbook in the mail, and what was in my head was not there. And I guess I'll have to wing it on my recipe.

The stuff on sale, or cheap, or on hand, are Jiffy cornbread mix, (times two), a roll of breakfast sausage, many eggs, pepper jack cheese, onions, chives, parsley, and season salt.

I'd like to bake and freeze it, and then I want an easy to nuke breakfast, so I can spit crumbs at my monitor first thing in the morning, over Cc/Ongowwah posts.
I've looked all over, on line, and can't find anything close, so I guess I'll have to sub off a recipe, and hope I don't end up with a pan or two of goop.

Or you could offer suggestions, or find something I haven't.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 5051
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Or you could offer suggestions

That list of ingredients is giving me chest pains. My suggestion is don't eat it all together or look up "heart smart" recipies.
Your arteries might thank you.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3911
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My arteries went speechless long ago, Pam. :-)

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3708
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb - if I were making do with what you have on hand, I'd fix the cornbread according to the package directions. Fry up the sausage in one pan and just fix an omelette with the other stuff and eat it.

I know you were wanting an all in one pan deal, but for the life of me I can't imagine all of it mixed together somehow and just baked. I may be wrong on this...but I don't think it would all come together from a raw state very well. Just my own opinion tho'!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5876
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My sister in law used to make a breakfast casserole something like this one. Is this sort of what you're looking for:
BREAKFAST OVERNIGHT presented by Morrill Farm Bed & Breakfast Email this page to a Friend
1 LB. bulk sausage
4 slices of bread, cut into 1/2" cubes
6 to 8 eggs
2 cups milk
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
Crumble sausage in a medium skillet, cook over medium heat until brown, stirring occassionaly. Drain well. Spread bread cubes in a buttered 12 X 8 X 2" baking dish top with sausage and cheese. Combine eggs, milk, seasonings, beat well and pour over cheese, cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until set. Yield: 6-8 servings

Jcole

Post Number: 5878
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or this one that has cornbread..
A slice of this tangy cornbread reveals a hidden layer of sausage, onion and Cheddar. It makes a nifty meal on-the-go or a snack for family and friends."
Ingredients:
1 pound pork sausage
1 onion, chopped
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups buttermilk self-rising cornmeal mix
1 (15 ounce) can cream style corn 1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup milk

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease a 10 inch ovenproof skillet.
2. In a medium skillet, brown the sausage and onion; drain well.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, corn meal mix, corn, sour cream, milk, and oil. Pour half of corn meal mixture into the greased pan, and sprinkle with sausage mixture and cheese. Pour remaining batter over top.
4. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3972
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I'm looking for, Jcole.(minus the corn). I'm surprised the "Jiffy Mix" recipe book had nothing close.

I'll try that recipe, it beats trying to improvise. When I bake, it's for one, so I try to do several things at once, and freeze the rest.

Who thought being green, meant something other than the stuff in back of refrigerator ? :-)

Thanks

Jcole

Post Number: 5905
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you don't use the corn, I would make the cornmeal into some sort of thick batter or it's going to be dry as dust when it's baked.

Let me know how it turns out

Bigb23

Post Number: 3992
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This seems pretty close to what I had in mind.(Minus the Jalapeño). I'll throw in an extra egg, and see what happens.

Owen's Breakfast Casserole

Ingredients
1 pound Hot Sausage 1 package Jiffy Cornbread Mix
1/2 Onion chopped 1 Egg
8 Jalapeño pepper slices chopped-the pickled jalapeños (optional) 2/3 cup Milk
1 8 ounce package grated Sharp Cheddar cheese
Instructions for Owen's Breakfast Casserole
Brown the sausage and onion and drain the fat. Place the meat mixture in a square baking dish, sprinkle with chopped jalapeño and top with cheese. Mix the cornbread mix according to package directions, using 2/3 cup of milk instead of the 1/3 called for on the package, and spread over the cheese. Bake in the oven according to the cornbread package directions until the cornbread is golden brown on top.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4029
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I made it, and my non-stick cake pans stick. It worked in theory I guess. I really want silicone bakeware now.

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First time i looked in this thread. Lots of good stuff in here, I'll need to take a closer look.

Heres something if it hasn't already been mentioned. Coney style loose hamburgers. Easy to make and fun to eat.

Brown some ground beef. hamburger is best for the high fat content. as it browns keep breaking it up, and breaking it up. Then break it up some more. You all know how its supposed to look. Then drain the fat. I usually put the cooked meat into a colander, then use a small plate to press out as much of the fat as i can, draining it into a pan. Put the drained ground beef back into the frying pan, add water to just cover the meat. a couple bullion cubes and dried minced onions. Simmer until the water evaporates and voila, you got coney style loose hamburgers. Run down to the corner coney joint and get some chili to top it off and some finely chopped onions. Same as you get at the restaraunt.

Bobby08
Username: Bobby08

Post Number: 138
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know of any good marinades for lamb chops

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 2241
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think OldRedfordette posted one about a month ago. ( - :

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3725
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shout out to Carol there above ^^

I'm wondering how the corn on the cob you froze is tasting through these cold winter months? :-)

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 2243
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Eriedearie....I just saw your comment. The corn has been fantastic, and we still have a bunch. It has been about 50% into soups and the rest when I make a big meal...like a roast and potatoes and the whole thing. But it was worth it...although when you have bushels of corn staring at you, it sure doesn't feel like it at that moment. It is so good I sometimes want to give it to people as gifts, and then I think, "they will either think I am nuts or incredibly cheap".

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3728
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad the corn has been a big hit through the winter for you and your family. All the hard work that goes along with freezing or canning fresh produce when it's abundant sure is worth it later down the line! I know what you mean when you're staring at a bunch of something!!

I am so glad we cleaned and chopped, diced and froze what produce we were able to. It sure has saved a lot at the grocery store this winter. Our stuff has gone into soups, stews, chili, etc. It is just so easy to open a bag and fix a meal! :-) I love it!

I remembered you did up a lot of corn on the cob, cause at the same time we were cutting it off the cob and freezing it! We're down to having just a couple more bags left. Corn chowder coming up!!! LOL

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5944
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump. I hate to lose this.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5947
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my favorite pots is a Lodge Dutch Oven, seasoned to a beautiful patina. I decided to do a Boston Butt (pork roast with bone) last week. I rubbed the meat down with Detroit Steak Seasoning and peeled about 12 fat cloves of garlic. Pre-heat the oven at 300º, on the stove top, I got the dutch oven very hot, then seared the roast on all sides in olive oil, dropped the cloves in the pot, threw the whole thing in the oven for about 5 hours.

In the last hour, I made a dressing out of apple cider vinegar, mayonnaise and hot pepper sauce, and let that sit and the flavors blend. Then I shredded an apple and mixed all with a bag of shredded cabbage (gotta save some time somewhere!). Broke down the roast into shreds, put a pile on a hamburger bun, Sweet Baby Ray BBQ sauce, a big spoon of the slaw, heaven on a bun. Perfect pulled pork on a cold February day.

Yeah, you could do it in a crock pot, but you can't get that delicious crust of fat on the outside that keeps the meat so tender.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3756
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ORF that sounds like happiness to the mouth. I'll have to fix that! :-)

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5948
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did weep a bit while eating.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2909
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is something I tried in Florida where I was able to get fresh kumquats. These are tiny little citrus fruits that you eat skin and all. The hardest thing about this pie is cutting each kumquat in half and digging out the seeds.

Kumquat Refrigerator Pie

1 baked pie crust, 9 " (a graham cracker crust works great)
1 (8 oz.) Cool Whip whipped topping
2/3 cup pureed Kumquats (see below for method)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup lemon juice

Beat condensed milk and whipped topping. Add lemon juice and beat until thickened. (Cool Whip is already thick so you don't have to beat it much.) Fold in pureed kumquats, pour in pie shell and chill in refrigerator for several hours.

Kumquat Puree Preparation

Wash fruit, cut in half and remove seeds. Place in blender or food chopper. Little chunks are good. Do not cook. Use puree in recipes as called for or freeze in zip-lock bags or other freezer containers. Frozen kumquat puree can be stored for six months or more. When you use frozen puree, defrost and drain the excess liquid before using.

I also picked loquats in the garden, and made a loquat pie, but you can't get them here. They are little yellow fruits that taste a bit like apricots. They have big seeds in the middle that are not supposed to be edible (cyanide traces).

It was simple, 3-4 cups loquats, halved and seeded (measure after the operation), 1/2 cup sugar, dash of salt. Mix and use in two crust pie. Bake 45 minutes at 375.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be warming two pre-cooked hams for a dinner for 70 or so (30 are children) in a couple of weeks. Also will be having green beens and yams (candied?). The yams are canned and so far I don't know what I'll do with them.

Do you have a sauce recipe to serve with the ham? Or maybe redeye gravy would be good? I have recipes of course, but you guys are so good with suggestions, I thought I'd ask.

Thanks! ps: It would have to be fairly simple and inexpensive.

Jcole

Post Number: 5999
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We make this for Thanksgiving, but use canned sweet potatoes. It tastes like candy. It's so rich a little goes a very long way. I use a 9x13 pan

SWEET POTATO SOUFFLE CRUNCH Printed from COOKS.COM
3 c. cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
1 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 1/2 tbsp. melted butter
1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
Mix all ingredients together and pour into greased baking dish. Cover with crunch topping. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Crunch Topping: Melt 2 1/2 tablespoons butter. Add 1 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, and 1 cup pecans. Mix well.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jcole, I've eaten that sweet potato recipe and it is just awesome. We have canned yams that I am going to keep in chunks. I've eaten yams in a casserole that includes pineapple, brown sugar and some other ingredients that I can't remember. Anyone know a recipe that sounds like that? The yams retain their savory side, but some sweetness is added. And I'll still keep asking for ham sauce/gravy recipes.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2957
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7872
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BAKED HAM

2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. apple cider or apple juice (natural)
1/2 - 3/4 c. Vernor's
3 tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
Whole cloves

Place ham in shallow baking dish (fat down). Score top of ham - poke in cloves at diamond tips. Heat remaining ingredients in saucepan until sugar is dissolved, and drizzle over ham. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes per pound. Baste with glaze often during last 30 minutes of baking time.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2960
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That ham thread made me want ham, so that is a timely recipe, Jams.

I had a hunk of country ham in the freezer that I defrosted last night. I fried up slices and served them up with Buckskin Bread and Creole Butter Beans.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3844
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HA! Gaz - I made the Buckskin bread last night to serve with my homemade vegetable beef barley soup! That bread is so good - and easy to fix too.

Jams with Easter around the corner I think I'll try your ham baste recipe. Sounds like a winner to me!