Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Prejudiced Obama Insults Disabled » Archive through March 20, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 274
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Jay Leno's TV show, President Barack Obama jokingly referred to his bowling ability as being like "Special Olympics". He later issued an apology to the head of Special Olympics.
Seems Mr. Obama has yet to learn that racial prejudice isn't the only type of bigotry practiced in the USA.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3709
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, joking about the Special Olympics is, like, totally retarded. :-)

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 175
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a guy who helps run a baseball league for special-needs kids, I was very saddened by the president's remarks. I had thought he was a better man than that.

If you're interested in helping some great kids have fun this year, plese consider volunteering some time with the Miracle League of Michigan.

We have a rubberized, wheelchair-accessible ball diamond in Southfield, and about 200 kids who have a wonderful time each week playing baseball with a little help from community volunteers like you and I.

Please visit www.michiganmiracle.org for more information.

(Message edited by vic_doucette on March 20, 2009)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 4000
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you guys are over sensitive.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6238
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Ray...

I guess after listening to a president (with half the brains of a turnip) for 8 years, we've now become sensitized to every word that comes out of the mouths of our presidents...

But since we're on the subject of sensitivity to political correctness... is there handicap parking at the Special Olympics?

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 4607
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as an ex-student coordinator for Special Olympics I hope it brings out the positive aspects of such a great organization..and as a advocate for PEOPLE with disabilities...it opens up the discussion of the millions of people with disabilities seeking work and equality...

while we have come along way...in the civil rights movement, many of the people with disabilities are seeking a seat on the bus..and a front door entrance to a job.

I agree the headline of this thread is wrong on so many levels...but so is using the term "retarded' as a negative too and those who never has used the term degratorily throw the first stone.I would safely say that funding for RSA (rehabilitation services administration) has not been increased since the late 1990's and that's even a bigger insult to the 50 million people in this country that have a disability.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched the clip from last night's show and I only have one thing to say about everyone who was "offended": Get a life people!

Looking at the context in which the comment was made, was it a poor choice of words? Yes.

Was it done deliberately as a slight against Special Olympics? No, it wasn't.

It'll fall off of the news cycles in about 2-3 days.

I highly doubt that most people will even recall those comments when next month rolls around.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19542
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He trivializes the office by going on Jay Leno. So, Karmically, his comment is made into a mountain from a mole hill.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1838
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I am disappointed in President Obama's remark, I also am a poor bowler, despite my late father being exceptionally good at the sport, he was on our company's bowling team, and they won many league trophys over the years. But he was a tall (6'3") lefty, and I am tall (6'5") righty.

Disclaimer: The above in no way is intended to offend any tall or short good, or poor right-handed or left-handed bowlers here.

Of course Sarah Palin weighed in on the controversial remark:

"I was shocked to learn of the comment made by President Obama about Special Olympics,” Governor Palin said. “This was a degrading remark about our world’s most precious and unique people, coming from the most powerful position in the world."

"These athletes overcome more challenges, discrimination and adversity than most of us ever will. By the way, these athletes can outperform many of us and we should be proud of them. I hope President Obama’s comments do not reflect how he truly feels about the special needs community"

Palin Hits Obama on 'Special Olympics' Joke

While I respect her right to express her indignation over President Obama's gaffe, she isn't exactly being humane herself, considering her refusal to accept federal funding for special needs schoolchildren in her state:

"Palin's rejection of $160 million for education drew a rebuke from Anchorage Superintendent of Schools Carol Comeau, who said she was shocked and disappointed."

"We believe that we can make very good use of the funds, not only in job preservation but also in adding new positions to ultimately use these funds to increase student achievement for our neediest children," she said in a news release."

"Comeau pointed to money that would have gone into training for special education teachers and additional programs and support for needy preschool children."

"The governor has until April 3 to formally request funds from the stimulus package. It's unclear if legislatures are under the same deadline but Alaska lawmakers likely will stick to the same date to be safe."

Palin rejects nearly 30 percent of stimulus funds

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1557
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Ray & Mcp001

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1558
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok & Gibran also..agreed!

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19544
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you can't fault political opponents for jumping on his mistake. Still a bunch of trivia and PC nonsense though.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3787
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Obama made a pretty insensitive remark which apologized for later...

...and the right was apparently very excited to hear Obama make the remark so they can use it for political advantage.

Who has the moral high ground here?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2655
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares? Seriously.

Gibran

Post Number: 4609
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how very patronizing coming from Palin...

"I was shocked to learn of the comment made by President Obama about Special Olympics,” Governor Palin said. “This was a degrading remark about our world’s most precious and unique people, coming from the most powerful position in the world."

"world's most unique people"..wtf...they are people like all of us...that is as insulting... People with disabilities are people first and there is diversity in diversity of disability...leave it to her to label people for her own gains,,her hypocrisy grows each day! what has she done for the people with disability of her state..where is the employment friendly policies? Where is reaching out for school to work transition, where is increased funding for job creation for people with disability...what new programs has she initiated for people with mental health related issues..she has been there two years where's the programs? that would improve the quality of life for those who want to enjoy life by their own definitions and not others.

hiding behind rhetoric is fine, but actualy helping a person with disability get equality is another.

Doesn't she get it? People first means seeing a disability is an accommodation waiting to happen whether it is cognitive or physical...She is beyond help.

The term "Special" needs a facelift...I know PC..well I agree with cc

Flanders_field

Post Number: 1839
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One would think that a mother with a special needs child of her own, would be wholly in favor of supporting and encouraging any funding that could be used to improve their odds of success in life. A child that could become a more productive and self-sufficient member of society would be an asset, rather than a potential liability. The long-term costs of dependence on others and the government would likely far outweigh the short-term costs of more education and training for most special needs schoolchildren.

Gibran

Post Number: 4611
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good point Flanders..and there was a recent study completed by social security that spoke of increasing job training programs ..if you increased employment for people with disability by a few percentage points their return on the investment would be paid off in five years of paying taxes ect.and they would then contribute to others in the journey..investing in employment for people with disabilities is the right thing to do..unfortunately we have far to go as a nation in achieving equality for people with disabilities...this has fared worse recently but is the fault of all parties.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19547
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emphasis on support ONLY IF NEEDED. Why? Self esteem and confidence do not come from having things done FOR you.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thrilled that his little charm offensive blew up in his face. This was nothing but political BS at it's finest. Clearly his approval ratings are going down and the administration thought Mr. personality could just show up on a comedy/variety show and charm the pants off the country. Cue the gaffe and, not so much.

I'm guessing they cancelled the Letterman appearance if they had one planned. It's probably a good thing, we probably don't need to hear him make an Alzheimer's joke after he has a lapse in memory.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19553
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is an amateur faking it fairly well. However, over time, failure is inevitable. G-d forbid if we encounter a military threat.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 1840
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll just bet Republicans, conservatives and members of the RW media were similarly outraged when ex-president Bush publicly insulted that legally blind reporter at a press conference several years ago.

oh wait, they weren't...

Amateur compared to whom, CcBatson?

A president McCain?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3788
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"He trivializes the office by going on Jay Leno."

I think he was just following the precedent Richard Nixon set by going on Laugh In

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6824
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait. We now have a president who is capable of apology?

Wow.

Gibran

Post Number: 4612
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow ... a President that actually is humble enough to go to the people..a president that admits his mistakes and takes responsibility quickly... wow a president that actually cares and yet some on here know his character so well they are frothing at the mouth on each gaft..hoping he fails...hoping he is tested so they can say "see I told you so"...gee the same people that followed Bush blindly and hoped he succeeded ...that's politics as usual. When in fact we all hope our presidents ultimately do what's right for all of the people..including people with disabilities.

and by the way; self esteem and confidence comes from within...and is learned through experiences and constructed by self and helped shape by others in a community...and is at times needing a little accommodation to level the playing field..something the pull yourself up crowd fails to recognize in their own journey..(how many people contributed to their experiences and success).

and his amature status was over when he won the election...

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 275
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's always revealing to hear what comes out of politcians' mouths when they're unscripted: their true beliefs, not what some speechwriter has put in front of them. Obama's "Special Olympics" remarks tell us what he thinks of persons with disabilities. Someone once said that the true measure of a society lies in how it treats its least fortunate members.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1746
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's why this country is fucked...honestly...

Rather than not being retarded...people look for any gaff to throw the guy down and spit on him.

If his biggest mistake in the next 4 years is making a remark about his bowling ability...then fucking thank our lucky stars and rejoice...

God Damn...I hate political correctness... Freest country in the world, say what ever you want, until it offends someone...

Flanders_field

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Treat, of course being what they actually do, rather than what they say in jest, and I doubt that anyone here can honestly state that they haven't publicly made disparaging remarks or jokes about "morans", "retards" ect... using even stronger descriptions.

President Obama will likely continue to offer more government-funded assistance to help the disadvantaged and infirm in the US, than most any "personal reponsibility" spouting GOP governor, or member of Congress ever will accept for their state.

Det_ard
Username: Det_ard

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a relatively small mistake, but a dumb one. He give a great teleprompted speech but in more casual settings his abilities are rather limited. Kind of the opposite of Bush, who wasn't good with more formal speeches but was well regarded in one-on-one situations.

The reactions to his gaffe are predictable. Supporters minimize it and decry those who criticize him for it. His detractors maximize it and gloss over the fact that they probably objected to the same treatment at some point in the previous 8 years. Boring...

Gibran's diatribe against Palin seems to have been made before he realized that she gave birth to a downs baby and is raising him. Seems a little foolish for an armchair partisan to be criticizing the devoted mother of a special needs child. I heard her speech to the Special Olympics organization. It made far more sense than Gibran's hackfest.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6826
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Det_ard, just to clear away a detail that may only appear to be related, could you explain why you chose that particular username?

Thanks.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4239
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I/he would be ashamed,if there were some 300 bowlers in the special Olympics, but Isn't a moot point, considering that 99% of his interview went off without a hitch ?