Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Four officers shot in Oakland « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(CNN) -- Four police officers are in critical condition and a suspect is dead after two shootings in an Oakland, California, neighborhood, Saturday afternoon, police confirmed.

Police say it appears that only one suspect was involved in the shootings.
3 of 3

Police received a call around 1:15 p.m. reporting two officers down on MacArthur Boulevard, Oakland Police Chief Howard Jordan said.

A manhunt was under way for the shooter when an anonymous caller directed authorities to a building on an adjacent street where the gunman was believed to be barricaded, Jordan said.

The gunman opened fire, wounding two more officers before police returned fire, killing the suspect, Jordan said.

The four officers were taken to Highland Hospital, Officer Jeff Thomason said.

Police said they are investigating whether others were involved in the incident, but don't believe there is another shooter.

Aerial video from the scene off East 27th Street in Oakland showed crime-scene investigators blocking off a a portion of a street, and a sidewalk smeared with pools of blood.

Law enforcement swarmed store fronts and lawns near the shooting scenes.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 4616
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God Bless them and their families

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19569
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were they wearing vests?

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least the suspect is down for good.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19590
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they were not wearing vests, that is one area that can be remedied easily.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4265
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Oakland, Michigan. I was just wondering.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 4016
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All four officers who were killed received fatal wounds to the head.

I know Cc was in a turmoil over vests, so thought I'd post the fact.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19650
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ray...moving on, do police helmets provide any protection?

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A helmet isnt going to stop anything from an AR-15 or AK47. Unless you are wearing a Robo-Skeleton.

Ray1936

Post Number: 4018
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, one other SWAT officer was wearing a helmet. A bullet fired through a wall hit the helmet and deflected it into his shoulder, although the wound was minor and only first aid was required. So, yeah, they do. But I wouldn't recommend them for routine patrol. Overkill.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19661
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Overkill? I am not so sure.

Ray1936

Post Number: 4020
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Bats, I don't want to see our nation, so proud and so free, patrolled by police departments that look like they are ready for a full scale offensive on the Siegfried Line. As an old time police officer, I even feel some of these SWAT units are a little whacky, especially when they wear ski masks on their faces.

I don't like the idea of American policing becoming a Schutzstaffel force. I'm sure you know the abbreviation of Schutzstaffel.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19685
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The nature of the job warrants the protection.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.