Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Food again. Let's not lose it this time! » Archive through March 21, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2963
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We love it with soup, and I love that you can whip it up in a jiffy.

Refresher recipe: Buckskin Bread

2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup water

Stir together the dry ingredients, mix in the water until all the flour is included. Put into a greased pie plate and bake 1/2 hour at 400 degrees.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3847
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah Gaz, the ease of just a few ingredients and a few minutes oven time, and hardly anything to clean up afterward - can't be beat! It goes wonderful with soups and stews. Your recipe for this has become a "make it often" at our house!

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1895
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Gaz. I was thinking I'd have to spend the next half hour trying to find the recipe.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5968
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you ever tried whole wheat flour for the bread?

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2966
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it will work. The bread is quite dense and whole wheat makes it denser, but, with soup, it's all good. You can try it with half white and half whole wheat, or half masa and half white also.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3855
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hummm - next time - whole wheat it is!

Does anyone here have a tried and true recipe calling for Rice flour? I picked up a bag the last time I was at Honeybee Market because I had never seen it before and it intrigued me. I've been storing it in the fridge till I could come across a good recipe to try it out. Can you make bread with that too? I could look online, but if someone here has used rice flour before with good results, I'd trust that review more.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2967
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rice flour does not have gluten, so if you are using a leavening agent, you will need to add enough wheat flour or gluten to react with the leavener. I would try half and half to start out with.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 377
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BigB23....what were you looking for from Jiffy? I think I have some of their older cookbooks that I can look in for you.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1900
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams and anyone else: This is on Cooks.com as well. The hams I got for my church dinner for 70 people or so are the pre-cooked ones that are rectangular shaped (I know, yuck)but the real hams were too expensive. They will be easy to serve and the folks aren't picky eaters here. My question is, should I go to the trouble of making this one with expensive orange marmalade, dijon mustard, etc. or should I use your recipe as you have had it and love it? Also, there isn't a fat side to the hams that I have. Should I score the hams and do the clove thing directly in the meat a bit? Thanks!

VERNORS - HAM GLAZE

1 liter Vernors
8 oz. jar dijon mustard
2 c. orange marmalade
1 c. light brown sugar
1 c. orange juice

Place 1 liter Vernors in a small pot and boil rapidly until liquid is reduced to 1 cup. To this syrup, add mustard, marmalade, sugar, and orange juice. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until the consistency of a light syrup.
Baste ham during the last 45 minutes of cooking (baste at 8 to 10 minute intervals). You can also serve the remaining glaze as a sauce.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4226
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grumpyoldlady - I tried a (flan/strada?) using Jiffy mix, and what I thought was a great recipe. Everything fused together. Ended up throwing out the recipe along with the non-stick cake pans. Turned out to be a couple of boat anchors. I'll stick with omelets in the future. :-)

Bigb23

Post Number: 4229
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Duct Tape.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 823
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not try breakfast burrittos. Fry up some bulk sausage with green (or hot)pepper and onion. Add scramble egg mixture when sausage is cooked, to the fry pan. Put mixture in warmed flour tortillas, add cheese, roll up the tortilla and enjoy. Serve your Jiffy Mix corn bread on the side. Corn bread is also great in the morning served warm with honey butter.

Don't forget, French Toast is a nice change. Add a few drops of rum extract to your egg mixture and top with powder sugar. Note: I use my coffee grinder to powder regular granulated sugar.

You could also try hobo eggs. Butter both sides of the bread. Cut a whole in the middle, crack an egg to fill the hole and fry. Not my favorite but my husband loves it.

I am making stew on Saturday and plan to try the Buckskin bread. Sunday, I want to bake ham and will try Jams glaze recipe.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4241
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just OD'd on homemade BBQ Beef Brisket and Onion Rings. Please call my.....................

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7923
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I need to call on you.

I'm jonesin' for pulled pork again,and I make a great one.

But, my arteries want a bit of relief, any suggestions for chicken or turkey?

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2974
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I make pulled pork by putting the pork roast in the crockpot and pouring a half bottle of 'Q sauce over it, then cooking it on low all day. I have done the same with a turkey breast, and it isn't at all bad. At the end of the day, just stick your meat forks in there and pull the meat into shreds, then scoop it over buns. Top with slaw if you're so inclined.

What sauce you say? Depends on the mood. I really like Sonny's hot sauce, but can't always get it.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2975
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I just found it on line at Sonnysbbqstore.com It's the Smokin' BBQ Sauce.

Jams

Post Number: 7925
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Gazhekwe,
I cook my pulled pork for 8-12 hours in apple juice, with onion and bayleaf in a low crockpot before any BBQ sauce comes near it.

Just having a hard time translating that to poultry.

I've made my pulled pork with many BBQ sauces, I found even Open-pit works well.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4243
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I put my brisket(s) in the crockpot on high, for 8 hours. And they still were a little tough. Must be the Kroger range beef from China.

By the way - meet my bartender for tonight.

Jams

Post Number: 7926
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you tip him?

Bigb23

Post Number: 4244
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tip him, I don't even want to go near him.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 6138
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I make my barbecued beef by putting a couple of chuck roasts sprinkled with garlic powder and pepper in a roaster and cook them at about 300 until they're tender. Then I hand shred them, and make a sauce out of the beef drippings, red wine, dry mustard, ketchup, brown sugar and a little Tabasco. Add the shredded beef to that and simmer until the meat is flavored and the sauce is the desired consistency, and serve on kaiser rolls

Jams

Post Number: 7927
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yum, Hell, with the arteries.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2978
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see why you couldn't do the exact same thing with turkey or chicken, Jams. It will come out fine. Maybe only 8 or 9 hours will be needed. I would use a boneless turkey breast, and cut it in half. Also you could use chicken breast the same way. I guess you could pick out the bones when you take it out to shred it, if you don't want to use boneless.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4247
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole - your tender hands will forever caress my sirloin of beef.

Jcole

Post Number: 6139
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Big, I'm flattered. I think

Bigb23

Post Number: 4250
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just Funnin' Jcole. Wer'e up in the thumb area right ?

Jcole

Post Number: 6140
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's where we are.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4252
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The town at one time included a stagecoach stop, an opera house, a theater, seven grocery stores, three hotels, three hardware stores, a lumberyard, a grain mill, two implement dealers, a bakery, five doctors, several blacksmiths shops and a drug store.

Jcole

Post Number: 6141
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you in Addison Twp? Or Romeo?

Bigb23

Post Number: 4253
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakland TWP. and Rochester and 32 mile.

Better Known as Campbells Corners.