Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » What do you use for computer backups? » Archive through March 26, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3861
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you use to backup your computer files? Do you use one of the online storage sites? Or do you distrust that method?

What about trusting a Patriot or a Kingston USB flash drive for your backups?

Any advice on this?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6801
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm considering switching from DVDs to online. I have Comcast and I believe they offer it for free to customers now. I'll have to look into it.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1801
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DVDs, external HDs and now my 10+ Gmail online accounts

Free gigs FTW!!

As an added benefit, they are accessible on any computer with the shell extension installed on a Windows OS.

Nothing financially revealing is stored online, however.

GMail Drive shell extension 1.0.13

Jimaz

Post Number: 6803
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Nothing financially revealing is stored online

That's wise although it should also be noted that the security of storing such data online, properly encrypted, can be assured with epistemological certainty.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1803
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Please note that GMail Drive is still an experimental tool. There's still a number of limitations of the file-system (such as total filename size must be less than 40 characters), and it doesn't make full use of the secure internet protocols available"

I am aware that Comcast has "free" online storage available for its customers, but I never looked into it fully, to see if my data could be stored with encryption. I remember that it was only MB storage at the time, and right now, I don't have an "exclusive" primary customer account, per se...

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I back up to DVDs every week or so, and less frequently to the free Dell online service I received when I bought my computer a few months ago.

I'm considering buying a USB hard drive and getting Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost to back up my entire hard drive for easy recovery of my entire system should something go terribly bad.

I also have Comcast internet, but they charge $5/month for up to 10GB storage.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not comfortable with backing up my critical files on an external medium over which I have no control.... Use Norton Ghost to backup entire system onto an external hard drive at the start of each month... Also Iomega Automatic Backup to backup selected files onto the exernal drive each time they are changed.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3865
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hummm...some interesting ideas so far - anyone else want to chime in with their advice?

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4190
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I backed up to a 250 gig external drive, and that fell off the desk and crashed. Like I've said before, back up your back up.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 621
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I back up on a 500 GB passport drive. I plan to back up in two places though. I want to purchase a 1 TB drive eventually when they put one out on the market without a power cord. I would never use an external hard drive that would have to be plugged into a wall outlet. Far to risky. I need a lot of space because photography is my hobby and the image size of each is quite large.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19434
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apple time machine to a 1TB external HD, and laptops to a 1TB time capsule. Completely automatic and transparent.

Photos, documents, etc also backed up onto optical media.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1677
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erie, we use external hard drives.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19455
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget that most garden variety optical media (CDs, DVDs) will degrade over time...contrary to old and conventional wisdom.

The solution is to reburn them at certain intervals (2 years...maybe 1).

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 224
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use a Thermaltake BlacX hard drive docking station. ( http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/ Product.aspx?S=1268&ID=1642#Ta b0 )

It is like an external enclosure, however a SATA drive plugs into the base like an old Nintendo cartridge. It accepts up to 1.5TB drives. The drives are also hot-swapable to the base.

I only plug in the drive when I make my weekly full-backup.

An advantage is you can make backups to multiple drives--keep one on-site if needed, the second off-site for added protection.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3883
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much for all the advice. I've made myself a list of your suggestions and I'll look into them. Once my tax return comes in...I'm goin' shoppin'!

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19465
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cost of memory is still plummeting (a good thing). 1 TB for 300 dollars (3 years ago it was more than triple that).

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 632
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The solution is to reburn them at certain intervals (2 years...maybe 1)."

Noooo! Definitely don't do this. Extremely high risk of corruption.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4290
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh brother, another worry ! Time to take your backups seriously.

Beware Conficker worm come April 1

quote:

In an event that hits the computer world only once every few years, security experts are racing against time to mitigate the impact of a bit of malware which is set to wreak havoc on a hard-coded date. As is often the case, that date is April 1.

Malware creators love to target April Fool's Day with their wares, and the latest worm, called Conficker C, could be one of the most damaging attacks we've seen in years.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/nu ll/128643/beware-conficker-wor m-come-april-1/

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 6178
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The cost of memory is still plummeting (a good thing). 1 TB for 300 dollars (3 years ago it was more than triple that).

Do you mean hard drive? Memory doesn't come in TBs. If you mean HD, you're getting ripped off. I recently bought a 1TB Western Digital HD for $94 on newegg.com.
A lot of people mistake memory for HD space. RAM is memory, HD is not. It can be used as swap space, which the computer will use as short term storage, but it's not really memory.

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 963
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mirrored External Hard drives, run through Apple's "Time Machine". I stopped using DVD's a long time ago, as it got too expensive.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4292
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole - Cc always knows what he's talking about. :-)

Jcole

Post Number: 6179
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19669
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hard drive is memory, no?? Not RAM (that would be silly to think that 1TB referred to RAM). We are talking about back ups, how could you not know that HDD was the format when referring to HDD?

Cinderpath..what if the hard drives fail? DVDs, or CDs for things like documents, photos, and videos are a good 2nd tier.

Jcole

Post Number: 6181
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You didn't refer to a hard drive, you referred to memory, and a hard drive IS NOT memory.

Jcole

Post Number: 6182
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Memory is not the same as disk space. Memory refers to the random access memory (RAM) inside your computer. The hard drive holds the programs that you run on your computer.
Memory is volatile, hard drives are not. When you install a program, it is physically placed on the HD. When you load the program for use, it is loaded into memory, but when you close it, it releases the memory, but continues to physically reside on the hard drive. When you reboot a PC, the memory is cleared, but the HD continues to hold the program.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4297
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's not going to admit he's wrong, Jcole. Nice try though.

Jcole

Post Number: 6183
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, he is wrong whether he admits it or not. I build the damned things, I have a pretty good idea of how they work and what the parts are called. I don't try to tell him that a brain is also a kidney.
Thanks, Big, for the support.

(Message edited by jcole on March 26, 2009)

Jimaz

Post Number: 6848
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole, thanks for delving a bit deeper into the subject. You helped me resurrect a valuable memory (pun intended) that was about to be lost.

(It's a shame so many of these heated disputes are based on trivial semantic differences.)
quote:

A lot of people mistake memory for HD space. RAM is memory, HD is not. It can be used as swap space, which the computer will use as short term storage, but it's not really memory.

Of course, you're referring to virtual memory.

Before operating systems provided virtual memory services, programmers had to manage their RAM space manually. Typically, a small core portion of the program resided in RAM for the life of the program but there wasn't enough RAM to contain the entire program. So the core contained a loader that would copy other pieces of its own program from disk to RAM as needed, overwriting other pieces that were no longer needed. The technique was called overlaying.

Thanks again for helping rescue some tech history.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2062
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use headlight fluid for DASD, for (chemical) synapse gap filler and in a pinch for kidney bio-filtering. Your viscosity may vary.

Jcole

Post Number: 6185
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, I was never much of a programmer, but I do remember learning about overlaying and managing memory spaces when I took C++.
This is the statement of CC's that I was correcting, though, which is misleading at best when it comes to the difference between memory and HDD. You don't purchase memory by the TB, and the cost he has quoted there is very inflated.
quote:

(Message edited by jcole on March 26, 2009)