Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » ::: Detroit Lions ::: » Detroit (1-1) at Tampa Bay (3-0) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 235
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two teams on top of their divisions will face off this Sunday in Tampa. After a well needed bye week, Detroit's had some time to prepare for their opponents, but a lot will be needed of these guys to compete. Breakout rookie-of-the-year candidate Carnell "Cadillac" Williams looks to make it four straight 100+ rushing yard games, and might not have much trouble against the Lions D-line and LB's. With Fernando Bryant placed on IR and Jason Hanson a question mark to play, it's not looking so good for our boys... but crazier things have happened. Bucs are 6 1/2 in odds, but I'm going further than that.

Bucs 27 Lions 14

Other NFC North games:
Chicago (1-2) - bye
Minnesota (1-2) @ Atlanta (2-1)
Green Bay (0-3) @ Carolina (1-2)

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 2472
Posted From: 129.137.181.79
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Williams will run wild, but Brian Griese will throw a few interceptions to keep the Lions in it.

Tampa 20 Detroit 10

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 953
Posted From: 150.198.150.245
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tampa 34 Lions 13

Joey will be knocked out in second quarter.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 759
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say we win this game. Why ? We have a history of playing well in Tampa. The Lions aren't as bad as they seem, and Tampa isn't as good. If we can run the ball (a big if), I think we can play with them.

I think Bryant's abilities were over-rated. Addition by subtraction.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 958
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bryant's abilities were not overrated his strenghts were not used. His strenght in Jacksonville was press coverage because he is physical and a good tackler. When was the last time Juron called press coverage. Juron understands the bend part but he hasn't figured out how not to break. Lions spend all that money on corners then place then in soft zones.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 8853
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lions 63
Tampa 0

Myers
Username: Myers

Post Number: 5182
Posted From: 155.201.35.53
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bucs 24 Lions 13

Hoog
Username: Hoog

Post Number: 598
Posted From: 66.100.16.66
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

None of the players on the team will hear it...want no part of it...but these are the same old Lions. Therefore they will win on Sunday. If the team doesn't go at least 9-7 this year, Mariucci should be fired. I'm tired of waiting for things to happen.

Bongman

Post Number: 760
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Press coverage ? I've never seen the guy do anything but play 12 yards off the ball in two years.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 960
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He doesn't call the D formation, Juron does.

Supersport

Post Number: 8854
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

None of the players on the team will hear it...want no part of it...but these are the same old Lions. Therefore they will win on Sunday. If the team doesn't go at least 9-7 this year, Mariucci should be fired. I'm tired of waiting for things to happen.

Come on Hoog, just wait till next year! All we need is an offensive line now....right? I agree with the Mooch firing, he's too much of a candy ass. BRING BACK FONTES!

Judgment
Username: Judgment

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 68.248.6.131
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I honestly don't know WHAT'S gonna come out of this game. Lions are so unpredictable... Knowing them, they'll pull off a Draw.

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 149
Posted From: 200.65.7.14
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lions 24 Bucs 10

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Lions will come out strong from embarrassment and the fact that they do have more talant than they showed in the Chicago disaster.

Lions 27 Bucs 21

Czar

Post Number: 2479
Posted From: 129.137.188.153
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone else notice that the Lions are going in to this game with only two QBs on the roster? Wouldn't it be a hoot if both Harrington and Orlovsky got knocked out of the game? Maybe they can bring Circus Kircus off the practice squad and run a single-wing attack?

Myers
Username: Myers

Post Number: 5206
Posted From: 155.201.35.53
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring back Stoney Case!

Lurker
Username: Lurker

Post Number: 1395
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kevin Johnson if their current 3rd string/emergency quarterback.

Last I saw, Rodney Peete was only 400 lbs. or so. Maybe they can talk him out of retirement.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 595
Posted From: 68.42.170.57
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 4:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lions need to punch somebody in the face...at the point of attack. I want to see some toughness, I want to see a team come together and play with an edge...with a chip on their collective shoulder for that debacle in Chicago. I will expect nothing less then this type of effort...If i dont see it, I will be drinking by halftime. I dont want to be drinking, I want to be throwing the football at halftime.

Bongman

Post Number: 763
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You make it till halftime without alcohol ? That's like having a root canal without novacaine !

It's going to be 92 in Tampa tomorrow, so I must change my prediction. Tampa 35-10. Big Daddy won't be able to get in his stance by halftime.

Eastside

Post Number: 596
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...if thats the case, I better start drinking now.

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 146
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon Lion fan__ turn up the oven now, and the cornbread will be nice and HOT for Sunday__ the butter will roll of the top soooooooo easy!(LOL)

Leo's 21
Tampa Bay 7

super d(motordetroit)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1321
Posted From: 68.84.183.189
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awwwwww...not the cornbread already!

Eastside

Post Number: 598
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This defense is HITTING!

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1593
Posted From: 68.209.118.72
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. This loss is all Harringtons fault and the Lions will never win with him. He is backup capeable, but nothing more. All his chances have been used up. There is no possible redemption scenario. It's over for him.

2. The Lions would be a playoff team with Garcia at QB.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 69.209.176.69
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I quit

Supersport

Post Number: 8884
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atl_runner,

Sorry, Garcia looked HORRIBLE in the preseason, so I don't think the team would be doing any diferently. What a nerve racking game. The defense looked great, only gave up a few blown coverage plays, but kept the team in it the whole game. This was the defense that showed up for the Packer game.

Now whats up with the offense? I mean yeah, they sucked big time today. But how is it they couldn't get their shit together all day, and then on the final drive in the 4th quarter marched the ball down the field with authority, appearing to have even won the game. The offense was operation with an efficiency that they hadn't shown all day. Why doesn't this Joey Harrington and recieving corp show up the rest of the game? I think the talent is there with this team, I just can't figure out what they are doing wrong. Why can't they get into that 4th quarter mode any other time?

This was a tough loss, but I think the defenses performance will build upon it. They looked tougher than they have looked in many years.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 7467
Posted From: 70.48.208.197
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's defence was pretty good today, as Sport stated, something to build on and they pretty much did their job.

Now about that "offence" or lack thereof. Joey "ballgame" is done. After 4+ years in the league he still continues thorw the ball as if pressured, even when he wasn't. Is he too skeered to get hit? Seems like it. Balls dumped off to the side very little down field action. Yes, Tampa's Defence is pretty good but if you have THREE 1st round draft picks as receivers you GOTTA USE 'EM! No balls were thrown up in the air, no bullet passes, just run of the mill passes. There was no chemistry again between the QB and receivers. Why does Harrington continue to throw to only R. Williams and Pollard? Time and again it was either those two or no one. Even the recievers have no confidence in him. Take a look (if you recorded the game) at the receivers after the motion they wre dragging their feet. Why? Because they know as soon as they are 15 yards out Joey won't/can't throw the ball.
One of the few times he did throw down field the ball had no power. I personally don't think he has any strength in his arms.

Sit that boy down, find another QB and call this season (yes, another one) quits. Afterall, the next three games will be losses as well.

As for Garcia, preseason don't mean schitt. He has the talent to move the ball, and the brilliance once in a while to get creative and win some games. No, the Lions won't go far and hell, I doubt they make the playoffs but at least they will still have some wins.
Detroit is in desperate need of a QB and hopefully this year becomes another clusterf*** so that they can have a reasonable draft pick to trade for a QB.

Bye bye Joey, it WASN'T nice knowing you.

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1439
Posted From: 68.73.206.120
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SSporty, let me help you figure this out.
THEY SUCK!!! - LOL

I have hated the Lions for so long, that it is really getting old. I'm actually starting to feel bad for them. LOL - Not really. But I will vow not to pull against them anymore this season.
GO LIONS! or whatever you cheerleaders say.

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 147
Posted From: 205.188.116.201
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Leo's are still in 1st place___ the oven is still hot ya'll.

And cornbread lovers, please quit bringing up Jeff Garcia's name.

Detroit 1-2
Chicago 1-2
Minnesota 1-2
Green Bay 0-3

aaaaah that cornbread smells good(LOL)

super d(motordetroit)

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1016
Posted From: 68.42.168.234
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know one thing I getting sick and tired of Roy William drop passes. I think two more today and that long one in the first would of been a TD.

Evelethcdenver
Username: Evelethcdenver

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 63.227.26.103
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charles Rodgers dropped a few today as well. Has anyone else noticed that the Lions only run up the middle? Never to the outside. That is why kevin Jones only gets 2 yards a carry. I predict the Lions will be drafting a QB next year. There will be several to choose from in the draft.

Eastside

Post Number: 599
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The recievers have quit on Harrington because they dont believe in him...this is a big problem. The recievers are not going anywhere...but Joey is...Joey is done in Detroit.
Harrington was throwing underneath routes when it would have been better to spike the ball and stop the clock. Remember the play I'm talking about? When our own false start killed the play and put 5 seconds back on the clock? His head aint even in the game.
The Lions are quiting on Joey (and the lockerroom is divided) because the players disagree with his choice of lifestyle...there, I said it!

Supersport

Post Number: 8889
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit's defence was pretty good today, as Sport stated, something to build on and they pretty much did their job.

Now about that "offence" or lack thereof.

First off you Canadian fuck, its offense and defense. Spelled the same way in hockey as it is in football....go figure.

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 150
Posted From: 200.65.7.64
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gotta drink a beer with supersport one day.

Eastside

Post Number: 600
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joey is what Mr. Furley thought Jack Tripper was. Everybody in the Lions organization knows it, there is a divided locker room because of it. Those wideout are quiting on Joey because of it.
Before that call was reversed...in the old days, the players would have mobbed the QB.
Nobody touched Joey! This information is coming from a friend of mine who has a personal contract with Harrington to provide service.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1323
Posted From: 68.84.183.189
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside- to question Joey Harrington's sexuality is asinine. If you have first hand proof of it, then let's hear it, but quite honestly what he does in his bedroom is his thing. Call him a lousy quarterback is one thing but to start rumors about his sexual preferences is old, tired and juvenile. Let's talk football in this thread and not that sort of rumor mongering.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 244
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ ^ ^ ^
Actually, the Bears are in 1st place (whaaa?) since they have the best record in the NFC North.

All in all, defense carried the Lions as usual. But they weren't great.

DEFENSE / D-Line A+
Rattle the QB, get 5 sacks, force a fumble and carry their star RB (who just happened to have a hamstring issue after he couldn't run against our front 4, and the Blue Wall of the Lions were unstoppable.

DEFENSE / Linebackers B-
This is probably where I'll get the most heat, but the LB's weren't on top of it totally. The majority of Galloway's catches were short crossing routes and the Bucs' WRs.

DEFENSE / Corners and Safetys </b>D</b>
To get beat is to get beat... Man did they get beat. Even with the constant pressure on Griese and no running game, they still manage to give up 300+ passing yards and two TD's on questionable coverage (granted the second TD was covered by Lehman, who overplayed). Fernando Bryant might have made a difference...

I won't even get into the offense, cause that's what the Lions like to do. Have their defense carry the game, and if it's close then the offense might click. Joey just has trouble passing, plain and simple. He's too impatient with the ball, even with the above Lions average coverage he was getting. The dropped passes and bad calls didn't help him either (I can think of 3), but it's getting more and more clear that when Garcia gets to 100% he'll play.

Would I trade Charles Rogers after the comments he's makin'? NO. He's just frustrated that he's not getting the ball and there's blame on both sides for that. He runs routes flat and can't separate off the bumps. He'll get over it.

Czar

Post Number: 2482
Posted From: 129.137.170.206
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charles Rogers is a bust, period.

This team is going nowhere. The defense benefitted from Cadillac Williams having a bum hamstring. It's going to be another long year. Harrington's NFL career as a starter is over. There is nothing redeeming about this team.

(Message edited by czar on October 03, 2005)

Goat

Post Number: 7473
Posted From: 67.71.67.25
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport, I would rather be a Canadian fuck than a greasy red-neck 'merican who shoots blanks.

I didn't mean to insult you as I know how tight you and Harrington are...lmao!

Czar, I'm not sure Rogers is a bust. If he doesn't get a ball thrown his way until late in the game how do you expect him to put up any numbers? I would rather think Joey has difficulty scanning the field and choosing a receiver. He throws the ball to quickly because he's afraid to get hit. And I still think his arm is weak, weak, weak.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charles Rogers takes to many plays off, whether you get the ball or not you play hard every down.

http://www.freep.com/sports/dr ewsharp/drew3e_20051003.htm

A good article about Charles.

Lurker
Username: Lurker

Post Number: 1399
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about that last play of the game where Joey's throw was 5 feet over Roy Williams? Was he worried about getting an interception with no time on the clock?

The Lions need to find Scott Mitchell, so they can put him in once they are in the red zone, and he can throw the fade to Mike Williams, ala Herman Moore. You have 3 big WRs, yet Joey can't seem to throw it to them high (unless it is 5 feet over their head) and let them go get it.

I'll finally concede - Joey is a terrible QB. He has happy feet, can't read through his progressions, and can't lead a WR to save his life. It's Orlovsky time!

Supersport

Post Number: 8896
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to make note of Kevin Jones TD where he laid out that defensive back like a little bitch. That was awesome!

Should also be noted that the Lions are still tied for 1st in their division, for what its worth.

Czar

Post Number: 2487
Posted From: 129.137.170.206
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bears are in first based on the head to head win.

By the way, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the overruled Pollard TD. The replays I saw didn't look like there was conclusive evidence to overturn the call on the field.

Bongman

Post Number: 764
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly Czar. We won that game. Once it was called a TD, no way was there sufficient evidence to over-turn that. Even the Bucs coaches expressed that after the game. Plenty of Joey's teammates congratulated him after that throw when he came back to the bench. For all the hype, there is still 3 rookies out there, and two other veterans that joined the team this year. Experienced receivers don't have to guess when their feet are inbounds...THEY KNOW !! I'm not absolving Joey, but there is still plenty of problems to go around. We played tough in a game we had no business winning on the road anyways. How do you jump offsides on a punt ?

...and also, how many times have you seen a pro team take a time-out after the 2 minute warning ?...I needed a shot after that.

(Message edited by Bong-Man on October 03, 2005)

Eastside

Post Number: 601
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy..."If you have first hand proof of it, then let's hear it"
If I did...how long before Lowell deleted it?

"quite honestly what he does in his bedroom is his thing. Call him a lousy quarterback is one thing but to start rumors about his sexual preferences is old, tired and juvenile. Let's talk football in this thread and not that sort of rumor mongering."

Look...I am not looking to start rumors, and I dont feel great about bringing this up, but it's the only way to express my valid opinion about what is going on in the Lions lockerroom. The reality is that the NFL is full of egos...and guys in the lockerroom are not as accepting as we are when it comes to homosexuality. I really am ashamed of myself for bringing this up, but it's my opinion of what is happening to Joey in Detroit. I believe everybody in the Detroit media knows it...and they are correct for never making it public. I believe it is affecting the team because they wont play for Joey...the offense anyway. After Joey threw that seeming touchdown...nobody touched him. If anybody knows football...they know that a QB gets mobbed in that situation.

Bongman

Post Number: 765
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't buy that Joey is gay or that the media would respect him by keeping it a secret. He's a Mama's boy who was raised properly to set the table, do his chores, and play the piano like a good little boy. They still exist believe it or not.

Eastside...in one sentence you're telling us the offense wants to play for him, and the next sentence you're stating the exact opposite. Like anyone on that team has the right to question someone's sexuality....LOL.

Eastside

Post Number: 602
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Like anyone on that team has the right to question someone's sexuality"

They dont...but NFL lockerrooms are not society.

I knew bringing this up would make me unpopular, but this is what is going on behind the scenes. If you want to plug your ears and close your eyes...go right ahead. I'm not going to argue the point, like I said, I'm not proud of myself for posting this. I am not presenting "facts"...I am asserting my very strong opinion of the situation.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 77
Posted From: 24.57.86.210
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You make the call...

hmm

Eastside

Post Number: 603
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not presenting "facts" because I can not, and will not, reveal the source. Thats not my point anyway...my point is that this is the source of division inside the lockerroom...and that the recievers have "quit" on Harrington. Thats my opinion.

Sid
Username: Sid

Post Number: 411
Posted From: 155.139.50.14
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside-

how does one apply for these service positions?

Supersport

Post Number: 8915
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So if you count that touchdown pictured above, then Joey put together a spectacular 4th quarter drive which led to a victory. It would have erased the horrible play the rest of the game, that 90 yd or so drive would have been in all our minds. So the question remains, why can't the offense do that the rest of the game?

Secondly, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Joey doesn't use the shotgun till they go into their 2 minute offense right? When he is in that 2 minute offense he appears WAY better. His passes were more accurate and he doesn't seem as pressured. A coworker told me that at Oregon he almost exclusively ran the shotgun formation.

This is just so discouraging, because that last drive was the type of drive a veteran qb can put together at the end of a game to win it. To me, that shows he has the ability, its just not always present or there are changes in the offense that need to be made to cater more to his style of play. The last play of the game, I have no idea who he was throwing to. The play before that though, to Mike Williams I believe, a reciever with a few years experience drags that tow and it too would have been a touchdown.

So what is everybody else's take? Was the final drive a fluke? Does the offense need to adapt more to Joey's style of play, using the shotgun formation? Or was this all just the start of another collapse by the Lions?

Goat

Post Number: 7486
Posted From: 64.228.210.148
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport, I heard (from sports announcers and pundits) the reason Harrington won't use the shotgun is because he is "uncomfortable" with it. Pretty sad for a 4th year QB, and a starter at that!

Personally, I believe that it was rhythm. just as Rogers drops the ball because he doesn't get any balls thrown to him. Just like Kevin Jones yards per carry was low, because again, no rhythm. But as they moved quickly without delay they were abel to get into a perspective that helped move the ball.

(Message edited by GOAT on October 04, 2005)

Eastside

Post Number: 607
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Harrington is in shotgun formation, the secondary sags to prevent the big play...thus leaving gaps underneath, this is where Joey is most comfortable throwing. At this point, what do they have to lose by going into the 2min drill in the first quarter?

BTW...Roy said that he was so wide open on the Pollard play, that if Joey would have looked his way, he would have been able to tie his shoes and still waltz into the end zone. Our QB is a fucking fraud. It was QB play that prevented us from winning a game that Tampa was trying to give us.

Rusty
Username: Rusty

Post Number: 306
Posted From: 67.175.170.101
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But Joey was on the run so we can assume the pass would be a little off line. R. Williams would then start to jump for it before quickly changing his mind due to the play being too dangerous. The ball would then be intercepted in the end zone. Either way Lions lose.

Eastside

Post Number: 609
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...whatever.

Caseyc
Username: Caseyc

Post Number: 489
Posted From: 206.18.111.5
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

given that Harrington had about 72 yards passing before the final drive, I think it's safe to say the final drive was something of a fluke.

lots of commentary in national media about how he has really regressed and/or stagnated given his level of experience. Not looking good. See Dan Pompeii's column in Sporting News today (posted in Yahoo sports). Really is too bad. I have always tried to remain an optimist as far as his career is concerned, but it is getting pretty dismal.

Do you think his whole career would have been different if he didn't have the "Mornhinweig experience" in his nascent years in the NFL? For example, the way Carson Palmer never came close to picking up a football in the course of a real game during his rookie year. A certain level of maturation and perspective were gained on the sidelines...an unseasoned Joey was thrown into a ball of confusion and the development never took hold....

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1597
Posted From: 68.209.118.72
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Sporting News article. Spot on.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yo urturn/viewtopic.php?t=22884

Eastside

Post Number: 610
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Harrington reads the field inconsistently -- he's not processing information quickly or correctly."

...I think he nailed it.

Goat

Post Number: 7491
Posted From: 65.92.102.109
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link Runner. I feel the same way...no leadership and a QB with no hope! The Great White Hype? Sadly, another dismal pick by the Lions.

CaseyC, I don't think it would have been much different. Either you have it or you don't. Harrington doesn't.

Rusty
Username: Rusty

Post Number: 307
Posted From: 67.175.170.101
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree Goat. I remember the guy his first 6-7 games throwing it all over the field. I think terrible coaching, lack of receivers and a poor offensive line play has created these terrible habits. His rookie year he was not sacked often but he was constantly being rushed and forced to throw in away. I remember Morningweg and Mooch preaching to Joey to use his checkoffs (ala Brett Farve and Aman Green) quicker to increase his %, cut down on interceptions and avoid the rush. His first three years, he continued this practice while giving Bryson, Stewart and Schlesinger career hights in catches. As the terrible receivers continued shuffling in and the line continued to play poorly (remember they couldn't run or protect the passer) the quick dump offs became a terrible habit. Now after almost 50 games its the only thing that comes natural to the guy.

Joey was never able to get comfortable to the point where the game starts to slow down. All successfull quarterbacks will tell you there is a point when the NFL game slows down and the position becomes instinctive. You don't wait and look for open players, you predict where they will be and you lay the football in there. You don't look at the oncoming pass rush, you feel it and step into the protected areas to give yourself additional time to make a big play. This has not happened to Joey. He struggles and continues to push and rush the offense. He falls back on the terrible habits he's formed the past three years.

I'm not sure what the solution is but I do hope Mooch sees how much better the offense runs in the last 2:00 of a quarter. Loosen it up, let em play and see if Joey can let it fly. With Garcia out, its worth a shot.

Eastside

Post Number: 611
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joey only gets comfortable when he has the flu.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 148
Posted From: 69.209.135.242
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Rusty above. Joey Harrington was a beacon of pride for the Oregon team 5 years ago. He wasn't developed properly by the Lions organization. They basically hung him out there to dry game after game. No matter how good a QB, the coaching process is more critical than anything else. Look at the way Tom Brady was developed, look at the way Drew Brees was developed ..... the offensive plays and the formations and all the chemistry has to come from the head honcho. Joey Harrington may never be able to live up to the Detroit Lions' expectations. If they continue to develop QBs in the same manner, nobody in the NCAA will be able to lead the offense efficiently here in this city. It is clear Joey's days are numbered, but what's next ? Bring in another top draft pick and ruin him ? Personally, I blame the Lions organization more than any one player.

Czar

Post Number: 2499
Posted From: 72.49.92.133
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So are you saying that being a good college QB means you should be a great pro QB? NFL history is littered with great college QBs who failed in the pros.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 149
Posted From: 69.215.30.34
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indeed, Czar, the NFL is definitely littered with great college QBs who failed in the pro. That is exactly why the development process at the NFL coaching stage is so crucial. Good coaching and good play call can make or break a young QB, whether they are first-round pick or fourth-round pick.

Remember Akili Smith, who was drafted to Cincy. He was an exceptionally talented QB at the college-level. But the Bengals organization didn't develop him properly. So, in essence, no, a good NCAA college QB DOES NOT necessary mean he should be a great pro NFL QB. The most important recipe is the development process at the NFL organization. A good organization can turn a fourth-round college pick into a star QB. A bad organization can ruin even the first-round No. 1 draft pick. That is all I am saying. That is why I blame the Lions administration more than I blame the Joey Harringtons, the Charles Rogers, the Dre Blys, or the Kevin Jones.

Czar

Post Number: 2502
Posted From: 129.137.199.182
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some players just don't have the skills to adapt to the much faster NFL game. One of the reasons Akili Smith failed is he held out for most of his first training camp, he was beind on the learning curve and never developed.

Harrington is in his fourth season and still plays like a rookie.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.