Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » ::: Detroit Lions ::: » Baltimore (1-2) at Detroit (1-2) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 7534
Posted From: 64.228.65.38
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's not sugar coat this win.

Harrington STILL looks like a deer in headlights. I have never seen a QB run around not knowing what he is going to do. He looks like he's scared to death. Most passes were either high or behind, only a couple seemed to go to where they were to be thrown.
Wright for Baltimore did a better job!

They stuck with the run and it payed off. But geez, the throwing game is DEAD!

If it wasn't for the penalties (much like the Green Bay game) Detroit would have lost this game.
Great plays by Bly but the defense overall could not stop the Baltimore offense.

A win is a win but it seems like this team has regressed.

...not impressed at all!

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 69.14.123.11
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a division where 8-8 may win it, every win is huge. They didn't look good, but it counts the same.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 514
Posted From: 205.188.116.201
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not trying to sugar coat, but so far the Lions have played the #1, #2, and #4 defenses in the league

and maybe having Rogers suspended has removed a pink elephant from the locker room

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 166
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smell of cornbread is in tha' air.

Lions 2-2
Chicago 1-3
Minnesota 1-3
Greenbay 1-4

super d(motordetroit)

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 7537
Posted From: 64.228.211.186
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, that does not address the issue of a defense that couldn't stop a dismal offense. Without those penalties, Detroit lost this game.

And still, the throwing game was pathetic at best.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1607
Posted From: 68.209.118.72
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has Harrington ever completed a pass when forced out of the pocket? Once he leaves the pocket, you can pretty much assume he is going to throw it at the wall. I think he has got to be the worst starting QB in the league hands down.

If there were ever bad wins, this is one of them.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1985
Posted From: 129.105.35.103
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About time the Lions won a game. A nice crush too.

GO LIONS!

35-17 (against Baltimore!)

#1 in the division :-)

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 304
Posted From: 68.42.177.9
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harrington wasn't too bad. There were times he looked pretty bad and sometimes he looked pretty good, such as the touchdown pass to Casey Fitzsimmons. The real goat was Marcus Pollard who purposely dropped a pass when he saw Ray Lewis honing in on him. That's pathetic. Anyone know how badly Roy Williams was hurt?

Caseyc
Username: Caseyc

Post Number: 497
Posted From: 65.27.144.253
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

10 of 23 for...um 97 yards...1 TD, 2 interceptions.

what was the line in last week's game again? 15 of 27 for 137 (and 70 coming on the last drive of the game)...

[possibly the worst consecutive game passing record by any QB in my recent prejudiced two game memory)...but seriously...how is that acceptable by any standard???

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 402
Posted From: 204.128.192.5
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He didn't drop the pass on purpose. I thought so at first but, after the replay, he wasn't even looking at Harrington until the ball was right in front of him. By the time he saw it, there wasn't much he could do. He can't intentionally drop a pass that he couldn't see.

Tortfeasor
Username: Tortfeasor

Post Number: 351
Posted From: 69.209.178.236
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Final Score: Lions 35, Ravens 17. I don't care how bad anyone looked, we won the game. If the Lions keep playing just a little better than their opponents, and at the end of games they have more points then the other team, we will keep winning games. That my friends, is a football rule even an idiot can understand.

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 529
Posted From: 71.65.20.89
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and also the reason they will be ousted in the first round of the playoffs... assuming they make it that far. :|

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 168
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blue skies are scheduled for Monday....cornbread cook'in in the oven....and another one bites the dust...the Great Lakes Offense is in full effect!

Barry Barry Barry !! ... You think I coach this stuff....and Andre Ware is warming up....For the 1st pick the Lions select Joey Harrington....The M$M era has begun......................... .............................. .............................. .............................. .............................. ...........///////////////xmvv xd/////////////////////////... ..................ekweeeeerrrr rrrrrr/....................... .............................. .............................. .............................. .............................. .............................. ...........sdkffd,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oops! sorry guys I fell asleep on the keys and I was having a night-mare.

I take no responsibility for the above blithering.

super d(motordetroit)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1337
Posted From: 68.84.183.189
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not meaning to criticize after a win so don't get me wrong here but Dre Bly drove me nuts. First interception was almost for naught when he tried to hand it back; fortunately for us Teddy Lehman jumped on it and saved it. Second interception in the end zone- wouldn't have been better to have sat down with it and taken the touchback as opposed to trying to run it out??

I guess I can never fault a player for wanting to try hard but fundamentally--just snare the ball from the opposing team and let the offense do some of the work for your team!

I'm happy they won. I'm happy Dre Bly had two interceptions, forced a fumble and recovered it but am I nuts for criticizing what he did with the ball afterwards??

Somebody help me!

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 69.209.128.250
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His name is Joey. When Jeff Garcia gets healthy and starts (because Joseph will have more terrible games)is he going to change his name to "Jeffy." I'd like that.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 624
Posted From: 68.42.170.57
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Harrington wasn't too bad. There were times he looked pretty bad"

...Harrington was horrendous, we won in spite of him. Good to get a win and get nearer to Garcia's return date.

"The real goat was Marcus Pollard who purposely dropped a pass when he saw Ray Lewis honing in on him. That's pathetic.

...I aint blaming Pollard...after Joey hung him out to dry in the Chicago game, leading him into that big hit.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 775
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are a rough crowd. That was the best defense in the league, and Joey didn't play that bad. He made some very smart decisions with the football, and managed the game fairly well. He also got his ass kicked in case you didn't notice. Most quarterbacks would be sucking air on the bench after taking one of those hits. Joey took about 10. Worst quarterback in the league ?...apparently you didn't watch the team we were playing.

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 2516
Posted From: 129.137.215.127
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Numbers don't lie. His passer rating is 32nd in the NFL, right above Kyle Orton, a rookie.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 256
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rejoice! Rejoice!

The Lions win a game against the imploding Ravens. Not that I'm knocking the win, but I'm just rapping on the window a little. 95 passing yards from JO-EY! looks like thw worst home game of his career in my eyes. The running game saved his ass (Go Jones!) but that goal line defense of Baltimore showed who had the most heart.

Yes, they won, but against a team with 21 penalties, who wouldn't?

Offense is MIA and they better pull their act together real soon.

Bongman

Post Number: 776
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's also 2-2 and we're in first place. For all the knocks against him the guy has proven he can take a hit. There's a lot worse attributes to have as an NFL quarterback. He has a good streak going of NFL starts. That is an investment that is going to pay off down the road. He may have a case of happy feet at the moment, but again, anyone else would be on their back sucking air after taking those shots.

As for Pollard, boo on you. You're paid a lot of money to catch balls in traffic. That's what Tight Ends do. If you think Harrington is leaving him out to dry, wait until Garcia throws those puff balls his way.

Czar

Post Number: 2517
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harrington's contributed nothing to the two victories. The Lions two victories came against two teams that are in far worse shape than they are.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 8957
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Defense wins games, right now we have one of the best in the league. All these players are FINALLY playing up to their level of expectations.That god for Millen's expertise in drafting Kalimba Edwards, he had an awesome game. So for the record, I'd say Millen's only bust may be Joey Harrington, and the final verdict on him won't be in till season's end.

I think people need to realize that all of Joey's recievers right now are new aside from Roy Williams, who wasn't 100% most of last year. So its understandable that the chemistry isn't quite there. If this defense can continue to hang tough, then hopefully Joey and his recievers will start to get on the same page.

Czar

Post Number: 2518
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"we have one of the best in the league"

Again, numbers, the Lions are 19th in the league in yards allowed per game and 14th in points allowed. Not bad, but, not one of the best in the league. The Lions opponents have a combined record of 7-11 with offenses in the bottom half of the league. I think the jury's still out on the defense.

Caseyc
Username: Caseyc

Post Number: 498
Posted From: 206.18.111.5
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It took them 6 tries to get in from the ONE? and even then it was apparently doubtful....how bad is that offensive line? Kevin Jones had 58 yards on 26 carries. Take away a 14 yard TD and that's about 1.7 yards a carry. tough going. That is one ugly ugly offense.

Czar

Post Number: 2519
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was even more ludicrous watching Kevin Jones act like Terrell Owens in the end zone with such woeful rushing numbers.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 4618
Posted From: 70.200.166.236
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The refs won that game, the Lions just got the points because of it.

Joey looked defeated...early in the second quarter. Soon as he starts shaking his head, things come undone.

Ravens DID get that record for most penalties in a game?!

Thought it funny that the refs kicked the wrong man out that second time...cannot remember the guy's number that really roughed the ref, but it wasn't the guy they booted!

It was good to see the fans tailgating joy after the game, though. We needed this win whether we earned it or not.

Cheers!

Eastside

Post Number: 625
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joey dont have what it takes to get the job done. I am not going to waste my keystrokes making a case to this forum...I believe the decision to NOT bring Harrington back has been decided by the front office.
JOEY IS DONE IN DETROIT.
Quote me...and let's sit back, munch on some celery and watch what happens.
Some forumers are deluding themselves about this, but Joey is no longer the future of this team.

You better believe that Joey is thinking about his future beyond Detroit right now.

Rusty
Username: Rusty

Post Number: 311
Posted From: 67.175.170.101
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Easy call eastside, he's lost the support of most of the team. I think you'll see Garcia get in their as soon as he's able. Then you'll possibly see the Lions go after Rivers (or a veteran) in the offseason. Ovlarsky will not play this season but will be get a chance to win the starting job.

Supersport

Post Number: 8959
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Schlesinger due back here real soon?

Bongman

Post Number: 777
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're 2-2 in first place in the worst division in football, and everyone wants to run the guy outta town. Can you spell c-a-t ? Do you remember how long it took Elway ?....Gannon ? Sweetan wasn't any better than Plum. I am not a Joey supporter, I just don't think things are as bad as they appear.

How bad is that offensive line ?.....it stinks.

You have to admit, it was fun watching another team implode for a change. Usually that's us. The Lions as a team deserve credit for maintaining their poise. Penalties are the result of either bad coaching, or someone is taking it to you physically. There was some wicked hitting going on out there. Anyone that went to the game got their money's worth.

Gannon

Post Number: 4620
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We ALWAYS dump quarterbacks before they bloom.

Why would you want to quit that tradition now?!

It *might* be that old Gary James was right when he bitched about the Lion's front office treatment of players reducing their effectiveness ten years ago when I hung out at Lomas Brown's house.

I mean...that is pretty much the only common denominator in the years I've been noticing pro football in Detroit.

That and ownership who we seriously fear merely keeps the team sucking for the tax write-off.

Tortfeasor
Username: Tortfeasor

Post Number: 352
Posted From: 192.217.231.54
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone watch the preseason? Garcia is terrible. He had one decent drive, and he did it with his legs - not his arm. While I don't think Joey is the answer for this team, Garcia is not the answer either.

Gannon

Post Number: 4624
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The answer *might* be that we just get behind them no matter what, and see if we can spur some of that magic...the stuff that propelled Green Bay for years.

I hate what free-agency has done to professional sports...but we can pretend that these guys care about Detroit. We can pretend to care about them.

Lilpup

Post Number: 515
Posted From: 66.89.12.30
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Short of a Super Bowl appearance what would constitute a good season for all you pessimists?

Gannon

Post Number: 4626
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something that would keep John Madden from moaning every time he has to get in his bus and drive up I-75?!

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 109
Posted From: 65.221.183.220
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup,I would love to see a 9-7 record and at least a one round visit to the playoffs. That wuld spell success for this year. I think it can be done with the schedule the Lions have coming up.

Bongman

Post Number: 778
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3 out of their last 4 are on the road. If they get to the playoffs, they will earn it.

I thought Joey played better when the 2nd string receivers went in the rotation. Running a precise pattern and being where you are supposed to be on the field can do wonders for any quarterback.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 69.209.162.77
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although I like Harrington the person, in that he appears to be a bit more professional and less dumb-jock like as most QBs are, I can't see him leading a winning team with dominant offense.

I think that may be why this QB debate always gives Harrington more chances than he deserves. People and fans want so desperately to see this nice professional guy succeed. But in reality and numbers-wise, Joey is just not up to par with the dominant/leading QBs in the game.

Being a well-represented, articulate and piano-playing athlete is nice to have. But, really, that in no way results in winning football games.

Sports are about winning and losing, Joey hasn't done much but lose.

Lilpup

Post Number: 516
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

to be honest that was my impression, too,
the second stringers have experience

editing to clarify that I agree with Bongman

(Message edited by lilpup on October 10, 2005)

Czar

Post Number: 2520
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harrington still has time to show something as Garcia probably won't be game ready for another three or four weeks.

The one thing I can't understand from those of you defending Harrington is, this is his fourth season at QB, and he seems to be getting worse. As I posted above, his QB rating is 32nd in the NFL. How many other NFL teams would give a QB this long to prove himself?

Look at Josh McCown in Arizona, a similar situation. He has two young receivers (granted neither one of them is stoned out of their minds), a weak offensive line and no running game, yet he's come in over the past two weeks and has thrown for 4 TDs and nearly 900 yards in two games.

(Message edited by czar on October 10, 2005)

Lilpup

Post Number: 518
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

takes more than a good QB to make a team successful

Quickdrawmcgraw
Username: Quickdrawmcgraw

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Attended the game yesterday. Harrington's days are numbered in my opinion. He can't run and doesn't have the hustle. It has taken the lions 6 tries on 1st and goal to get a touchdown. Why would you give the ball to the same running back almost every attempt? The defense knew to go to same running back. His leadership skills as well as his throwing skills are inconsistence. To be a professional player, his actions are very mediocre.

Bobj

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Joey has to be gone , 4 years is plenty of time and his numbers are going down! His passes are terrible and he is not a good leader on the team. A QB does not make the team, but a bad one can really hurt a team.

Gannon

Post Number: 4635
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It IS a shame the telegraph industry went away, Joey is a NATURAL at telegraphing his plays.

I don't think he is capable of just holding the ball tight until the minute he has to hand it off.

I cannot remember another NFL q'back who did this so-o poorly.

Bongman

Post Number: 779
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot remember another NFL q'back who did this so-o poorly.
------------------------------ -------------------
Scott Mitchell !!

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 259
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From FOX NFL SUNDAY:

MOTOWN MADNESS: Terry Bradshaw on the reported turmoil in Detroit this week: "You don't normally hear of the general manager going out and getting on players. That's the head coach's job. If there is one criticism I've heard about Steve Mariucci is that he's not hard on his players. If Matt Millen had to discipline the players, I think that says something about Mariucci."

Jimmy Johnson added: "Mariucci has got to set up and take charge of this team."

Bobj

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like the wrap on Alan Trammel

Czar

Post Number: 2521
Posted From: 129.137.203.204
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, since Millen hired Maricucci, that says something about Millen as well.

Supersport

Post Number: 8968
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lions defense will once again dominate this sunday and the Lions will be 3-2 and pulling away from the pack. Speaking of the pack, nice to see them finally at the bottom of the division, I always hated them. :-)

Eastside

Post Number: 626
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...c'mon, if the Lions win, it ain't gonna be because of the offense.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.