Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » ::: Detroit Lions ::: » JOEY SPEAKS OUT . . . kinda « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 269
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not really up to posting the entire article so..

LINKIT!
http://www.freep.com/sports/li ons/lions18e_20051018.htm

It's a little light IMO, as it talks about any question he's been asked since he came here. The notes on Garcia are a little harsh, but kinda true. Still, the consensus is that there's time for a change, as things aren't gonna get any better.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 271
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

> > Since coming out with this story, it's been covered all over the sports networks, ESPN (PTI, Around the Horn, Sportscenter) TSN (Sportscenter), and FSN (BDSSP).

The general concensus is that Joey needs to be benched, with FSN going as far as saying the Lions should trade Joey out of Detroit when the season ends (since the deadline has come and gone).

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 2548
Posted From: 129.137.200.28
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where do you start with this mess? On the one hand, I think Harrington deserves one or two more starts with some healthy receivers before you bench him. But, Roy and Mike Williams are hurt and Rogers is home counting his cash and doing bong hits.

Garcia probably won't do much better. If he doesn't, throw in Orlovsky. Making the playoffs shouldn't even be a consideration at this point because whoever ends up winning the NFC North is going to get knocked out in the first round anyway.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1158
Posted From: 150.198.150.245
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joey has been set up to fail by Mooch. Mooch and the others players get a free pass because they can blame all of their short commings and mistakes on Joey. Built in excuses are great that way no one has to be accountable for their own actions.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 629
Posted From: 69.209.170.46
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merchantgander,

Good point. That's why I'd like to see Garcia come in and pull a "Detmer". Then who do they blame? Probably Joey, for carrying the clipboard the wrong way...

And where's Millen with all of this? Back home in PA?

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 185
Posted From: 69.215.30.34
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are still many Joey supporters among Detroit News readers;

http://info.detnews.com/poll/r esult.cfm?topic=Revolving_QBs& end

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9056
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha! I thought this said "JOEY COMES OUT" when I first read it.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1162
Posted From: 150.198.150.245
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a Joey supporter, but understand the game enough to see that Joey isn't the only problem with this team. The offensive engin isn't running but Joey is only one of many broken part that needs to be fixed before it works.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 634
Posted From: 68.42.170.57
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...can you feel me SS?

Supersport

Post Number: 9059
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My current stance, which changes often. The largest to blaim is the offensive coaching staff, Mooch included. Joey is somewhat to blaim, but nowhere near the same level. The offensive line is greatly to blaim as well. As for Millen, I'm sorry, I'm not pointing the finger at him, I feel based on what he knew, he put together a damn good team talentwise. For one reason or another, its just not coming together on the offense. Mooch being Millen's guy or not, if this ship doesn't right itself, he'll be canned. Maybe even prior to season's end.

Millen gets pissed off, irrate, and is vocal. Mooch posses none of these emotions, he's all ho-hum about everything. That doesn't cut it for this team. Inevitably, Joey will likely fall upon the sword and end up playing elsewhere, where I am sure with the right coaching staff he will succeed. Detroit will be left playing musical QB's or drafting a hopeful superstar for the next few years.

Either way, I'm not blaiming Millen.

Czar

Post Number: 2549
Posted From: 129.137.200.28
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport, your love of Millen is hard to comprehend. On what do you base your assessment of all this "talent" he's assembled, college performance? Coaching helps, but if there's so much talent on offense, we'd catch an occasional glimpse of it. No one on the offense has shown any indication of talent with the exception of maybe Roy Williams.

Millen gets pissed off, big f'ng deal. Those are his boys out there on the offensive line and that's his first round draft pick sitting in his house smoking joints, which we now know the Lions were aware of when they drafted him.

I'm not defending Mariucci, he hasn't done much of anything but Millen fired his first bad choice at head coach and rushed to hire Mariucci, giving only a few sham other interviews to candidates. This guy's record as a GM is abysmal.

Supersport

Post Number: 9063
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't you have an Ohio team you can badger? :-)

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 651
Posted From: 69.221.65.97
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it just me ... or can we see everything Joey's got in this photo? Yowza ...

http://www.detnews.com/2005/li ons/0510/20/A01-355315.htm

Czar

Post Number: 2552
Posted From: 129.137.190.223
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's Survival of the Weakest for the Lions
By CLIFTON BROWN

Lions quarterback Joey Harrington is about as popular in Detroit as the price of gasoline.

Harrington was booed at home during last Sunday's 21-20 loss to Carolina. Who could blame fans for being frustrated? The Lions (2-3) failed to score a touchdown on offense. They lost despite returning two interceptions for scores. And through five games, Harrington has thrown for four touchdowns and eight interceptions, carrying the lowest rating (55.6) of any quarterback who has thrown at least 49 passes.

Now in his fourth season, Harrington has become the fall guy in Detroit, following in the footsteps of quarterbacks Andre Ware and Scott Mitchell. Harrington would probably have lost his starting job, but the backup Jeff Garcia broke his leg during the preseason. Garcia returned to practice last week, and he could start Sunday when the Lions visit Cleveland.

"I have to decide who gives us the best chance to win this game," Lions Coach Steve Mariucci told news media representatives Wednesday. "We'll have a better feel and a better idea toward the end of the week. I don't know if it'll be Friday; it might be the weekend."

The focus has been on Harrington's poor play, yet Mariucci and the team president, Matt Millen, hardly deserve a free pass. Millen received a five-year contract extension during the off-season, although the Lions are 18-51 since he took the job in 2001. Detroit has spent its last three top draft picks on wide receivers - Charles Rogers, Roy Williams and Mike Williams - yet their offense has sputtered, ranked 30th among the National Football League's 32 teams.

Mariucci showed resiliency during his six years as coach of the San Francisco 49ers. He inherited a strong 49ers team in 1997, and in his first two seasons, the Niners were 13-3 and 12-4. After salary-cap issues forced the 49ers to rebuild through two down seasons (4-12 and 6-10), Mariucci led the 49ers back to the playoffs in 2001 and 2002.

But Detroit went 5-11 and 6-10 during Mariucci's first two seasons, and he has so far been unable to change the franchise's losing culture. Many Lions fans do not remember the last time the team won an N.F.L. championship (1957), and it has not won a playoff game since the 1991 season.

Fortunately for the Lions, they play in the National Football Conference North, the league's weakest division, where Chicago (2-3) and Detroit are tied for first place, with Green Bay (1-4) and Minnesota (1-4) one game behind.

No matter how bad they all look now, one of those teams will win the division and make the playoffs. But Harrington looks a lot closer to finding the bench than the postseason.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10 /21/sports/football/21nfl.html

Lurker
Username: Lurker

Post Number: 1445
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First the ESPN article and now the NY Times, eh? This is some negative press about Detroit that I will embrace. Hopefully the Fords will start realizing what an embarrassment of an organization they run. If you haven't won in 50 years, and there is only one constant in that time, you might want to look in the mirror.

Actually, I guess I'm the stupid one, as I renew my tickets every year.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1359
Posted From: 68.84.183.189
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a no win situation regardless of who starts for the team. I'd much rather see Harrington start & finish the season. Garcia is just stop gap at best. Until we have a viable alternative, it's not looking good unless you really think Orlovsky has something.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1363
Posted From: 68.84.183.189
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Throughout all this I think the lad's tried to be upfront, play hard and has the desire to win. Whether Joey Harrington will ever play for the Lions again is beyond me-- but at least he's shown some measure of dignity and class amidst all of the media scrutiny.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.