Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » ::: Detroit Lions ::: » Detroit (3-4) at Minnesota (2-5) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 292
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ODDS: Lions by 1 1/2 OU: 37

It's hard for anyone to think that Vikings - Culpepper = Victory. Apparently the odds don't think that highly of the Lions after their choke job against da Bears. Offense dropped passes, defense dropped interceptions, and special teams just couldn't catch a break. The curse that is the Lions IR list isn't as deep as previous years due to the depth that they've acquired over the years. Still, they'll gladly welcome back Shaun Rogers and Roy Williams, if they're cleared to play. Charles Rogers will start under Mike Williams on the strong side and will probably see more snaps than a 3rd WR is used to seeing in this offense. Harrington might see a start in his immediate future with Garcia nursing sore wounds from those VICIOUS Chicago hits. Media's been high on Harrington (whaaaa?), seeing him improve greatly without the West Coast Offense in practice.

Minnesota has to be looking forward to next year already, even if they're "still in the hunt". The Love Boat scandal has left an impression that they might not shake at all this year (if anyone's interested, you can register to win a boat on MIN's official page... write your own joke). Brad Johnson will be taking the snaps and will look to take advantage of the one or two big plays Detroit seems to give up every game. The deep WR core will be going downfield, and RB's Bennett and Moore will be pounding the ball up the middle, probably getting close to 100 yards combined.

MIN's 7 straight wins against the Lions at the Metrodome speaks volumes, but I just can't see anything but a Lions' victory this Sunday without their star QB.

Special Prediction:
w/ Garcia
DET 27 MIN 14
w/ Harrington
DET 20 MIN 17

GO PISTONS!!!!

Genesyxx

Post Number: 293
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgot...

Other NFC North games:

Chicago (4-3) at New Orleans (2-6)
Line: CHI by 3
Pittsburgh (5-2) at Green Bay (1-6)
Odds: off the board

GO PISTONS!!!!

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1668
Posted From: 68.209.118.72
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm. Two options.

Detroit wins and moves back to 500.

Garcia:
Lions 17, Vikings 10.

Harrington:
Lions 17, Vikings 14.

Neither QB has showed to be an advantage scoring wise for the offense. Harrington on the other hand is an advantage for the other teams defense, and ultimatly, offense.

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 2603
Posted From: 129.137.204.99
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The way Culpepper was playing, I don't think Brad Johnson is much of a drop off. He'll dink and dunk the Vikings down the field a couple of times.

Lions have lost 7 in a row at the Metrodome.

No matter who plays QB:
Vikings 23 Lions 10

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1406
Posted From: 68.84.183.189
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard Joey was taking all the reps today at practice so he might be back under center this weekend vs. Minnesota.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 179
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been pretty optimistic all year (10-6 pre season prediction), but I think they are going to lose this weekend 21-14. Road games are tough for our boys.

Keep the cornbread in the frig!

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 295
Posted From: 69.246.107.67
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We will restore the 'Roar' 'another one bites the dust' this weekend in Minnie-sota.

Monday Morning Headlines.

Joey goes wild! Lions win 38-14.

Joey goes 18-36 for 329 yards.
Rogers 6 catches 96 yard 2 TD's.
Jones runs for 86 yards.

Bears lose!

Shitcago 4-4
Detroit 4-4
Minnestota 2-6
Green Bay 1-7

Can ya' smell tha' cornbread cook'in!

super d(motordetroit)

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9287
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I guess its about that time to take my spot on the couch eh? Lets hope this isn't too ugly.

Evelethcdenver
Username: Evelethcdenver

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 63.225.101.186
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When is it ever going to change!! Bring back Charlie Batch!!!

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 84
Posted From: 69.209.166.89
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh this is ugly...

Evelethcdenver
Username: Evelethcdenver

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 63.225.101.186
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saying it is ugly is being nice.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1672
Posted From: 68.209.118.72
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phil? Phil Connors? I thought that was you.

(semi obscure)

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 7607
Posted From: 64.228.67.172
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More great coaching by Jauron...How does a defence go from decent one week to absolutely abyssmal the following? They are running up the Lions asz!

Millen, take a look at that O-line! That is a disgrace! I know high school teams that have better lines then that! There isn't a QB that could throw a ball in under two seconds...and you wonder why Harrington throws the ball quickly even when he doesn't have to. Pitter-patter go the feet!

Frigging disgusting!

Bye Mooch, bye Millen. And hopefully the geezer Ford chokes! I am so tired of his "loyalty" BS!

Supersport

Post Number: 9288
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atl,

Groundhog day, great movie.

Millen won't be gone, only Mooch.

Blessyouboys

Post Number: 86
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah so Fat Millen can hire some more Failures.

Goat

Post Number: 7608
Posted From: 64.228.67.132
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly, Millen should have been bagged two years ago.
As I am not much of a Harrington fan, you can't blame him for todays sick performance.

Why again did the Lion's run repeatedly up the middle? Yeah, because Mooch's play book is as old and stale as a petrified forest.

...hope the Lion's lose every game for the remainder of the year.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 47
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a curse theory about the Lions.

Up until 1970, they were a force to be reckoned with. But on November 8, 1970, they lost a game to the New Orleans Saints in the last second when Tom Dempsey kicked a record 63-yard field goal. I remember that game well.

And ever since, the Lions have been hamburger. I call it the Dempsey curse. Not as exciting as "the curse of the Babe" (now dead), or the Cubbies "Billy Goat Curse", but that's what I blame it all on now, anyway.

Lions will be fortunate to win another game this season. And who cares? It's the curse.

Goat

Post Number: 7610
Posted From: 64.228.67.132
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naw...the curse is the organization that the old bastard Ford keeps around him.

40 years of Ford ownership with a class C org.

(I won't fault him for not spending money. But I will fault him for having the worst organization in league history).

Gotta wonder how Ford Motor Co. stayed afloat this long?

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 12.159.32.66
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i heard on AM 1270 after the game that coach mariucci asked roy williams to play one down, the 4th and 7 with a few minutes left in the game.

roy's answer? "No." not "i'll try, coach" or "you got it, coach" -- just flat-out "No."

what a baby...can't even man up to run a single route, even if he probably wouldn't have gotten the ball.

Super_d

Post Number: 301
Posted From: 205.188.116.201
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get off the 'Fords must go crap' PLEASE! Like most successful owners of sports organizations, the team is basically entertainment for business deals and the like__ if they happen to win, good__ but for the most part the team is like a big board game to these owners...and the Fords are no different. The fact is you have a hand full of teams that have won superbowls and the chips just happen to fall their way with a few great players. You only have a few T'O's, Farves, Bradys, Mannings. Our chips fell when we drafted Barry Sanders, which we had a run of playoffs teams. So chill with the Fords must go crap. The Lions are entertaining and I would not want to see them go___ look what happen in Cleveland__ which by the way__ under new OWNERSHIP is just as bad! There is no doubt that the Lions have some problems, due to injury , they have 2 pro bowl defenders out, 1 pro bowl receiver, 2 young receivers out, and a young offensive line. The Lions are 3-5 with 8 games to go---I predict when we get the starters back and if Garcia gets healthy the Lions will make a strong run to end the season__ in which the Lions have a history of doing.

Matt Millan
Mariucci
were both hot commodities around the entire league when the Fords hired them___ and most of you celebrated the choices as well.

I'm still smell'in the cornbread-atcha

super d(motordetroit)

Czar

Post Number: 2605
Posted From: 72.49.88.36
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Super D is so wrong all the time, the cornbread is starting to smell like shit.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 129
Posted From: 68.252.4.1
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a list of owners who actually care about winning.

Jerry Jones
Pat Bowlen
James Irsay
Robert Kraft
Robert Tisch & Wellington Mara
Al Davis
Jeffrey Lurie
The Rooney Family
Malcolm Glazer
Daniel Snyder
The City of Green Bay
Ralph Wilson Jr.
Art Modell

Blessyouboys

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's interesting that following each horrible game (all of them) this season I deeply question why the hell I am a Detroit Lions fan in the first place. Really, why bother with this shit. My whole life they have been absolute garbage (Barry Sanders is the lone exception)and I'm worn the f*** out.

They embarass us each and every Sunday. They embarass us in front of millions on Thanksgiving. They're a complete disgrace to the city of Detroit.

Why do we reward them?

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 213
Posted From: 69.209.140.3
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Want an owner who cares about winning teams and getting positive results ? How about Bill Davidson taking over the Lions ? We have already seen the success enjoyed by the Pistons, Shocks, and Tampa Bay Lightning. Going by recent track record, I believe we can agree that Bill Davidson is an owner who has the Midas touch for championship runs.

Super_d

Post Number: 302
Posted From: 205.188.116.201
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Blessyouboys" "they embarass us each and every Sunday"___ us? Your going way overboard man.

Feel pride that the Lions are one of the historical franchises in the NFL.

Feel pride that the Lions are part of an american tradition of Thanksgiving each and every year.

Feel pride when people mention names like Barry Sanders, Billy Simms, Charlie Sanders, Bobby Lane, Ray Scott, Herman Moore, Lomas Brown and the like.

Feel proud of a City with great sports teams like the Lions, Tigers, Pistons, and Redwings.

super d(motordetroit)

Blessyouboys

Post Number: 88
Posted From: 69.208.120.72
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Super_d, ask around, what NFL organization/team (the last 20 yrs) is seen more as a bunch of inept losers than the Lions? This franchise is so often characterized as a laughingstock; why else do so many simply say "Same Old Lions", answer: we suck.

Every single pre-season it's more "This is the year" garbage that rises all hopes just to rip them down half-way through the season. Can't they just be honest and say "We fucking blow and won't win more than 4 games, sorry" Detroit would be a much happier place.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 135
Posted From: 68.252.4.1
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blessyouboys-

The Saints and the Cardinals have been the laughing stocks of the League, not the Lions.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 670
Posted From: 68.42.170.57
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Word on the street is that it was Millen who insisted that Rogers sit his punk ass in Detroit. Fuck CR...after he has hurt this team with his pot smoking, he comes back and half asses practice.
Roy Williams is a pussy...he is gonna tell coach "no" when asked to go in on that 4th down play. How can his pussy ass look somebody in the eye when he picks up his check?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1412
Posted From: 68.84.183.189
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 5:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"At least we're not the Cardinals" should be our mantra.

Hope eternal I guess but it gets mighty tough when the lowly Vikings beat us like we were Pop Warner kids.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 824
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and don't hold your breath....what a perfect time for the Cardinals to come to town ! Let's see how low we can go.

We have patented the 3rd and 7 draw play...Heh Heh.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3079
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So.......does my 5-11 prediction for the 2005 season still seem needlessly pessimistic?

Millen and Mooch have got to go.

The new managment team in order to rebuild will need to:

1 - Scrap the entire offensive line and start with proven players. Go buy them from other teams. We can't draft our way out of this problem.

2 - Get a decent second running back and start exploiting the holes our new offensive line can create.

3 - Joey? Depends on what the new management team and coaching style is like. Maybe they can undo the damage and make him a better quarterback. The best option for him is to go to another team with a QB a year or two away from retiring and be tutored. We have wasted a fine talent. Let him go and start over somewhere new.

4 - Trade for a journeyman, placekeeper QB until we can find The Right One.

5 - Don't fuck with the defense. Draft AJ Hawk or that beast out of Texas for the blowup middle lineman. We have a good to great secondary. We have reasonable to good ends, we just don't have that explosive interior presence that hunts down QBs and RRBs and kills and eats them for breakfast. Get a head hunter in there and we will have an awesome defense that can keep it together while the O line rebuilds.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1216
Posted From: 150.198.150.245
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree with number 5 the interior of the D line is the strength of the team, lions lack an explosive end that can rush the passer which is needed especially when Dick doesn't blitz.

Goat

Post Number: 7611
Posted From: 64.228.192.253
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreeing with Merchantgander...Dick doesn't blitz so there will rarely be pressure on the opposing QB. Now, on ours??

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3081
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The D line is good and yes they can frequently stop the run by swarming and getting behind the line of scrimmage, but as yesterdays game illustrated nicely, if they have one on ones, they get strung out and big holes are opened up. The Vikings clearly watched the games tapes and felt they had an O line that could go one on one amd make that happen. Haveing a terror like Hawk or The Beast in the middle forces more double teaming allowing for lane closures. If not, that explosive interior lineman is always a threat for a sack or stop for loss.

Don't get me wrong, I think the D is pretty damn good across the board, we are just missing that one element that makes it fearsome. I think that one element is a monster in the middle, although more speed on the end would help too. I feel the monster lineman makes the current ends more useful. The monster will flush the QB to the end that then finishes the job.

Get that one element down and they are a the complete defensive pacakeg capable of carrying the team for a couple of years.

That and RW McQ. needs to learn to tackle.

Supersport

Post Number: 9289
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are only two fixes for Detroit Lions football, they are:

DEEEEEE-troit BASKET-baaaaaaaaaaaall!

and

GO WINGS!

Thats it, fuck football.

Genesyxx

Post Number: 299
Posted From: 216.115.236.42
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Checkin In From My Phone. I Missed The Live Game And Had To Catch The Tivo. That Said It's Getting Tougher And Tougher To Support This Team. Run Defense Was Nowhere To Be Found And Offense Can't Be Found. Too Many Problems To Fit On My Phone Now.

Czar

Post Number: 2606
Posted From: 129.137.184.191
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matt Millen's record as GM now stands at 19-53.

Goat

Post Number: 7615
Posted From: 64.228.192.253
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Sport. If we stop going to the games maybe the...ahhh screw it! Things will not ever change until the Lions hire a real organization.

I think Skulker's idea has merit. Someone quick and powerful in the middle would stop any holes from appearing. But the Lions have to work on the O-line first before anywhere else. It is so easily picked apart that any coach quickly uses it to their advantage.

Supersport

Post Number: 9290
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stop going to the games? Come on now, I wouldn't go that far.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1054
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The NFL has revenue sharing, you not going ot Lions games would not really impact the team that much.

Teams know the Lions are not going or can't to throw the ball down the field so they are blitzing and stacking the line to stop the only threat Kevin Jones.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 671
Posted From: 68.42.170.57
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody see the new Burger King commercial? Even the King is burning the Lions secondary.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 49
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the things I like about living in Las Vegas now is that it reminds me of Detroit so much.

We don't have a football team, either.

Caseyc
Username: Caseyc

Post Number: 535
Posted From: 206.18.111.5
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did anyone catch the following from Len Pasquerelli's "Morning After" column on ESPN.com today?

Observations on the Week 9 action from one current pro scout and one former scout:

• "I know you didn't see the game but, honestly, there came a point when Joey Harrington was so bad on Sunday, I couldn't watch anymore. And then I flipped it back on, because, like a train-wreck, you sometimes can't help but to watch. You've got to wonder who's going to take the fall for that [mistake]. He's been coached by two so-called 'quarterback guys' in Marty Mornhinweg and Steve Mariucci and he looks just terrible."

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.