Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » ::: Detroit Lions ::: » In the 2006 NFL Draft.... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 136
Posted From: 68.249.238.242
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the Detroit Lions select?
Yeah I know it's early, but I think we can all agree that the year is over. At their current pace, the Lions will probably have the 10th or 11th pick in the draft. Who would you like to see the Lions draft in the 1st round? To help you with your selection, I've listed the Lions 1st round picks since 1989. If you don't know your history you are doomed to repeat it.

1989 Barry Sanders RB Oklahoma State
1990 Andre Ware QB Houston
1991 Herman Moore WR Virginia
1992 Robert Porcher DE South Carolina State
1994 Johnnie Morton WR Southern California
1995 Luther Elliss DT Utah
1996 Reggie Brown LB Texas A&M
1997 Bryant Westbrook CB Texas
1998 Terry Fair CB Tennessee
1999 Chris Claiborne OLB Southern California
2000 Stockar McDougle T Oklahoma
2001 Jeff Backus T Michigan
2002 Joey Harrington QB Oregon
2003 Charles Rogers WR Michigan State
2004 Roy Williams WR Texas
2005 Mike Williams WR Southern California

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 137
Posted From: 68.249.238.242
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a list of the players who may be availible when the Lions pick.

QB:
Omar Jacobs Bowling Green
Vince Young Texas
RB:
DeAngelo Williams Memphis
Laurence Maroney Minnesota
WR:
Santonio Holmes Ohio St.
Chad Jackson Florida
TE:
Marcedes Lewis U.C.L.A.
Leonard Pope Georgia
T:
Eric Winston Miami (FL)
Jonathan Scott Texas
G:
Max Jean-Gilles Georgia
Davin Joseph Oklahoma
C:
Greg Eslinger Minnesota
Mike Degory Florida
DE:
Mathias Kiwanuka Boston College
Tamba Hali Penn St.
DT:
Haloti Ngata Oregon
Rodrique Wright Texas
OLB:
Chad Greenway Iowa
DeMeco Ryans Alabama
ILB:
Ahmad Brooks Virginia
D'Qwell Jackson Maryland
CB:
Jimmy Williams Virginia Tech
Jason Allen Tennessee
S:
LaRon Landry L.S.U.
Michael Huff Texas

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1122
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The crazy thing is that 89-95 (minus Ware) the Lions had a group of drafts that actually led to impactful, productive, long-term players.

They have not had 1 since then. And, following 89, they would have had a much lower selection in the first round.

Was Chuck Schmidt making the calls back then?

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 69.81.48.106
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think any of these players will make a major difference if the same coach is still in place. Crazy thought: do you think that the only reason Mooch coached perenial playoff teams in San Fran is because they had such a gamebreaker in T.O.?

That said, I say we go with the Carson Palmer approach for our next QB. Trade up and draft Matt Leinart or the best QB available. Immediately bench him. Go out and sign a veteran QB that knows the NEW coaches offense. Let the veteran play for a year and teach Leinart while Leinart learns the offense and is not booed by his own fans. Then, assuming Orlovsky has not blossomed into the next Joe Montana, let him at it.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1430
Posted From: 68.84.183.189
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonesy--great list but could we please scratch off the wide receivers off that list? I'm not so sure we need to be drafting ANOTHER wideout just yet. And that's not to say they're not immensely talented players either. Anyone got any thoughts as to should we draft by positions needed or best player available??

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1431
Posted From: 68.84.183.189
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hooha... I like that logic in acquiring the best QB possible and then getting a veteran QB to play. It should've happened to Joey Harrington for his development.

Admittedly though, I will give Joey Ballgame props for never bitching about his situation and being a stand-up sort of guy through out his treatment here in this town- whether it's by the fans or the management.

Evelethcdenver
Username: Evelethcdenver

Post Number: 40
Posted From: 63.227.9.57
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best player available? Reggie Bush, Southern California. Lions better finish with the worst record, or trade up to #1, because he is going first. Agree with you about Joey, he is a stand up guy for his situation in Detroit.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 224
Posted From: 69.215.30.34
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The coaching staff needs better leadership. It gets tiring week after week listening to Mooch give the same post-game comments. When is he going to make the team accountable, ala Herman Edwards-style, and admit that the team played like 8th graders. The Detroit Lions need a tough head coach, who will criticise publicly and who will take responsibility for failures very personally.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.