Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » ::: Detroit Lions ::: » TURKEY SPECIAL: Atlanta (6-4) at Detroit (4-6) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 335
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mitch Albom speaks on what I've been saying for years now:
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20051122/SPO RTS01/511220355

and McMahon still did better than Joey despite comments. TD passes, no sacks, no INT's, and confidence. Those all speak louder than JH.

______________________________ _________________
ODDS: ATL by 3 OU: 41 1/2

I can't remember the last time the Lions were underdogs on Turkey Day, but Atlanta needs to get back on the winning track and quick if they want to save their season. Losing to TB was a huge blow to their division chances, and their shaky stance might get them blown out of the water with more division games to come (1 at TB, H/A against CAR). Chicago's proven to be no cakewalk either.

Meanwhile, the Lions seem to be looking forward to the off-season, as offense continues to fail to score. Defense is trying to hold pact, but their time on the field is taking affect on their health. Bly's expected to be out an additional 2-3 weeks, and Teddy Lehman is now out for the season with a broken foot.

Garcia looks to try to make the start, but Joey might be the go-to guy for you fantasy players. The Lions always play with that added intensity on Thursday, but this game will come down to a FG either way.

Vick runs, Dunn makes it past 1,000, Kevin Jones gets stopped.

ATL 17 DET 14

Other NFC North games:
Green Bay at Philadelphia Off the board
Chicago at Tampa Bay-3
Cleveland at Minnesota Off the board

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 2653
Posted From: 129.137.186.75
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to go out on a limb:

Lions 20 Falcons 17

Atlanta has had trouble stopping the run. If (and that's a big if) Mariucci commits to giving Jones the ball 20-25 times, I think the Lions can pull off an upset. Vick is also due for one of his games where he can't hit the side of a barn with a pass.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1703
Posted From: 68.209.118.72
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atlanta is ripe for defeat and Detroit is ripe for another one of it's patented 'if only' games.

if only they played like this every game.
if only Mariucci was called aggressive games more often.
if only Joey Harrington was not a turkey.
if only, if only, if only.

My pick for the turkey leg award goes to The Receiver group for the lions. Roy Williams, Charles Rodgers, etc. Heck, every dog has it's day.

Caseyc
Username: Caseyc

Post Number: 551
Posted From: 206.18.111.5
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very believeable....and oh so predictable. A classic "what if" game....

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 7779
Posted From: 64.228.192.98
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

20-10 Falcons.

Genesyxx

Post Number: 336
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NEWS: Bly has been cleared to play and will start Thursday. Please ignore the bum comment I made earlier.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 662
Posted From: 68.255.245.224
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anybody have extra tix to the game? my connection fell thru at the last minute. i need two, preferably at around face value...

thanx! email me at rockstarchitect@aol.com

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 341
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since the Michigan Sports teams had such a terrible past weekend___ it couldn't get any worse...could it?

Lions 17
Atlanta 14

super d(motordetroit)

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 210
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Falcons 24 Lions 7

Lions are too banged up and distracted with all the stuff gong on (QB controversy, Rogers and the $10m, bad season)

Forget the cornbread, lets go for a draft choice and get another receiver!

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 136
Posted From: 69.209.182.67
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking there was a chance the Lions could pull this one out.

Then I thought some more and concluded the Lions suck and the Falcons are quite good.

Falcons 32, Lions 17

(C-Rog gets a TD)

Evelethcdenver
Username: Evelethcdenver

Post Number: 47
Posted From: 63.227.125.218
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate those black jerseys they are wearing today. Mick Vick, even though not even near 100%, is tearing apart the Lions.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 85
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

17 - zip at the half. First Lions game we've gotten out here (Las Vegas) this season. It's a bigger turkey than the one the wife has in the oven.

That is one sad-ass looking football team.

Evelethcdenver
Username: Evelethcdenver

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 63.227.125.218
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing like showing their true colors in front of a national audience. Thank goodness we do not eat until later this evening.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 250
Posted From: 205.188.116.201
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rudderless ship. The Ford's need to clean house (M&M), but unfortunately they'll be doing the hiring.

They may not win another game the rest of the year.

Dec 04 Minnesota
Dec 11 @ Green Bay
Dec 18 Cincinnati
Dec 24 @ New Orleans
Jan 01 @ Pittsburgh

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1708
Posted From: 68.209.118.72
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's hope they don't. That would = higher draft pick, new coaching staff all around, and possible, but doubtful, a new GM. Mariucci's product embarrased the entire State of Michigan today. He cannot recover from this. He has screwed up anything that resembled talent in any of the players. I blame him entirely for C. Rodgers, and am now starting to wonder if he is the problem with Harrington.

Wow. Lowest point as a Lions fan for me. Worse, there is no light at the end of this tunnel.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1434
Posted From: 68.84.183.189
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atl_runner... How's Mooch the problem with Charles Rogers? I can see how he can screw up a QB and their confidence but I think Charles had issues long before he became a Lion. Supposedly he wasn't that great of a practice player in Saginaw and MSU- so it seems as though he just might be lazy. Granted he could've been more of a disciplianrian with him but is that what you were saying?

And I do agree- this loss to Atlanta was already in the bag early. It was embarrassing. Even after the interception at the very end of the first half- I thought they should've at least tried to go long and get something, even if they got a penalty call deep and maybe let Jason Hanson take a shot for three.

Imagination is exceptionally lacking with the guys in Honolulu blue, silver and lotsa black.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 230
Posted From: 69.241.164.222
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was yet another inept and pathetic performance, displayed for a national audience. As my wife put it, they were once again Thanksgiving turkeys. Maybe it's good that we only get this and maybe one other Lions' game broadcast out here (happened to be their awful one last weekend vs. Dallas). This looks like, at best, a 10-11 loss season.

I go back a long way with the Lions, and have a lot of memories good and bad, but I'm done with them.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 809
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the receivers today were horrid. too many missed catches that should have been easily caught.

time to cut some guys loose. and while i think harrington can play better, he is taking too much of the blame here. coaching and receivers and offensive line are more to blame than Joey.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3185
Posted From: 68.60.139.168
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, there we have it Joey Haters. A direct side by side comparison of HArrington v. Garcia against the same team under the same conditions and they both stunk it up. The only difference is HArrington had worse luck on the two fluke plays. Joey was intercepted when HIS RECIVER FELL DOWN ON THE ROUTE and Jeff gets a TD after the ball ping pongs around and manages somewhow to fall in the right hands.

QB is the least of the offensive woes here. Coaching and O-line need addressing first as folks like Marcnbyr and myself have been beating the drum about since the pre-season.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 7791
Posted From: 64.228.202.91
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Skulker. How about the 5 dropped passes that Harrington threw? Those passes were right in the numbers. If those passes were caught Harrington would have been 11/13. But he gets yanked for Garcia who threw like Orlovsky. Pathetic coaching at best with the most pathetic O-line in the NFL.

Please hire a new organization with Holmgren at the helm or Dennis Green...please!

Genesyxx

Post Number: 338
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't see that coming. 20-7. Definately in need of hiring somebody. Millen saved his job by drafting some good players, but no development means OFF WITH THE COACHES' HEAD! LOL

Czar

Post Number: 2660
Posted From: 129.137.163.130
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Millen saved his job by drafting some good players"

Who exactly are these good players you speak of? The offensive line? The lazy and underachieving Charles Rogers? The defensive line that jumps offsides consistently? The defensive backs who can't keep themselves between the receiver and the ball? ESPN was talking about this yesterday. Some of these players might have athletic skills, but that doesn't translate into being a good NFL football player.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 848
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and if all three of these new receivers did pan out...how in the world would you pay for them under the salary cap when it comes time to negotiate their next contract ? Throw in Jones and Harrington, and you are seriously overpaying on one side of the ball. This lack of strategic thinking towards the salary cap demonstrates to me that the Lions do not have any plan for the future whatsoever.

Scottie Vines ! He's a perfect example of the type of player that is needed to work under the salary cap. An over-acheiver that can spot-start that gets minimal pay. Every team needs them to be successful under the salary cap system.

Czar

Post Number: 2661
Posted From: 129.137.163.130
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly Bongman.

William_x
Username: William_x

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 4.165.12.16
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally I do not see nothing exciting about the Detroit Lions,and I feel that William Clay Ford Jr should have saved his money instead of building Ford Field.The Lions are losers and will be losers as far as I am concern.Thanks L.Brooks Patterson for investing in the lions.

Genesyxx

Post Number: 342
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say Millen saved his job 'cause the Fords will stick with him - hence the 5-yr extension. It's the GM's job to make the team look good on paper and the coaches' job on the field. The team looked good on paper and were picked to take the North if you all recall. Just didn't work out.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.