Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » ::: Detroit Lions ::: » Now that Mooch is gone, who's next? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 341
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Specifically, which players? Mariucci was a player's coach, but he wasn't getting it done and the majority of the locker room sees it the same. But with a new head coach comes butting heads, doublespeak on camera (about anybody), so on and so forth.

I think Rogers will be gone (a-duh), as well as Teddy Lehman. Sure there's more, but I gotta get off this computer.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 148
Posted From: 69.209.160.51
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Damien Woody.

The O-Line blows and he is supposed to be one of the leaders of this team.

I know he's skilled and all, but really, i'm sick of him being one of the voices of this team when he doesn't do his job.

Damien Woody is a scrub, i've never seen someone lay blame like this guy when all eyes have been on the horrible play of the O-line. Overrated, overpaid and underachieving. In short, he sucks.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 700
Posted From: 66.89.12.30
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Backus goes before Woody
Pollard goes or is used only for blocking

any word on who is the new OL coach?

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 227
Posted From: 65.221.183.120
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do you see Teddy Lehman gone, I think he has played well for a young guy!

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 692
Posted From: 68.42.170.57
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Speaking with emotion on the NFL Network, Lions Pro Bowl cornerback Dry Bly said most of Detroit's problems stem from one person - the team's quarterback.

"They should have fired guys on this team a long time ago... I feel like there is one guy in particular who I felt like is the cause of this whole thing. That's just how it is," Pressed further on who that one person is, Bly said, "It's not hard to figure out. The quarterback here has been bad. He hasn't gotten the job done since I got here. Y'all just see Sundays, but I've been a part of this every day for three years... practices. You see how the guys practice and the practices have been bad... I really don't believe coach would have gotten fired if Jeff (Garcia) didn't get hurt." Nov. 28 - 3:24 pm et

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1445
Posted From: 68.84.183.189
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 3:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bly really really blew it. Why air this stuff out in public?? What ever happened to TEAM? If he's had a problem with the QBs why not talk to his coach, his GM, his president or better yet... talk to your QB about it. Support him because he's your QB. Any finger pointing demands that every play Bly does is now under scrutiny. These are things that are kept within the team parameters and not to be aired out in the media. This s the kind of noise that TO does in Philly. Bly really disappointed me with this- it drew attention to him and not the health & performance of the team.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 856
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Say what you want....but Joey Harrington has shown me more class this season than the whole Lion organization has demonstrated in my lifetime. He's taken the high road in every instance...he's NEVER ripped on his teammates like Jeff Garcia has...he's taken every shot that management and his teammates have given out...He's been constantly physically pulverized week in and week out because of a pathetic O-line and receivers who constantly drop passes. His coaches have refused to play to his strengths since he's been here....he was made the fall guy by Marriucci since day one. Yet the guy continues to get up...and as far as I'm concerned, he's got more balls than most of the jokers on this team.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1447
Posted From: 68.84.183.189
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right on Bongman! Even in the face of the stupidity that sprang from Dre Bly's lips, Joey Harrington still displays the class and dignity of a true professional. He's been the consumate team mate. I'm sure deep down inside he's hurt, disgusted and appalled at not just the team's play but his own play- but will we ever hear it in the media? I doubt it because he just isn't going to be that way. His critics often cite him as not being enough of a leader in the mold of Brett Favre, but who can? Good guys like Harrington & Donovan McNabb that take the high road are often unduly branded as soft.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20051130/SPO RTS01/511300360/1082

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 2673
Posted From: 129.137.176.146
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe he's keeping his mouth shut because he knows he sucks, to the tune of several million dollars a year?

Bongman

Post Number: 857
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You ever listen to Ron Jaworski defend Joey ? He knows what's happening. Joey is capable of throwing a 15-30 yard pass as well as anybody in the league if he has the time. To do that, you need people that can run accurate patterns and that come back to the ball. He has no one ! There's a reason that Joey could only hit Kevin Johnson in stride. He's the only one who could run an accurate pattern.

Willaims, Williams, and Rogers....We drafted three # 1 receivers and not one of these guys has developed a third down go-to pattern ? not an out....not a slant....not a curl...NOTHING !! That's coaching...not quarterbacking.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 236
Posted From: 69.215.30.34
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be outright honest, the entire Detroit Lions organization needs to be gutted out and start from scratch. The O-line is horribly embarassing. The administration is not administering well enough. The owner himself needs to take a lot of the blame. Millen needs to go, the Ford family should let someone else take over this team. The owner of the Detroit Pistons comes to mind with enough money and with great track record of winning teams.

The players obviously need to move on, because there is simply no chemistry. Individual stars don't make Superbowls, team stars make Superbowls. Therefore, a new GM definitely needs to be hired and one who knows how team chemistry can be created by bringing in players who can work well with others.

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 2674
Posted From: 129.137.176.146
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darwinism is on to something here, and it's another damning indictment of Millen's GM tenure.

Does anyone really think a new coach is going to come in next year and make the Lions a playoff team? The defense is in pretty good shape, though they could still use someone who consistently rushes the passer well. The offense is a different story. It's obvious from Bly's comments that the team doesn't believe in Harrington. Garcia is an aging QB who can only run the west coast offense, which, hopefully, is scrapped by the new coach. The offensive line needs to be completely redone.

So, in short, the Lions need a QB and an offensive line, and are waiting on the development of several untested skill position players. They are at least two or three years from winning the division, especially considering that the Bears are only going to get better.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 7827
Posted From: 64.228.198.173
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sad part is no one on the Lions team has any trust for Harrington now that Mooch has layed him out to hang. Regardless of what Harrington does for the rest of the season, the team will continue to see him as a failure.

The last three games Joey showed some great skills; Enough to show he can lead a team and that is not including his handling of the situation he has been put in (which has been amazing considering the back-biting going on).

We can all thank the Lion's org. for destroying yet another team, and with some good prospects.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3204
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To resurrect an old Jelkism......

WAR BONGMAN'S POST!

Joey may not be an overly talented QB but he is probably a hell of a lot better than he has been able to show. His leadership and dignity ought to be celebrated.

Once upon a time there was a young athlete who came into the league drafted very highly by a sucky team. In the first five years he showed flashes of brilliance but was inconsistent. He went on to have a couple injuries and a couple down seasons, but steadily progressed. At one point the fans wanted his head on a silver platter while questioning his work ethic and desire because he did not show excessive emotion. Through it all he kept his head pointed forward and never said anything bad about anybody. The as the team worked through personell upgrades, new coaches and other tinkering...the quiet soldier became more and more popular and as more players adopted his approach the team became more successful. He went on to lead the team to three championships and is a shoe in hall of famer. Had the team not been patient in the first six years, Steve Yzerman would be playing for the Avalanche.

It is doubtful that Joey is as skilled at his position as Yzerman is at his (simply because Yzerman is one of the best in ANY sport) but we have not seen the true potential of Joey. But we have seen the work ethic and mindset of a champion. IMO, the ONLY player on the team or organization besides Jason Hanson that has done so.

Bly is a complete freaking tool and Garcia is a WEASEL.

Bongman

Post Number: 858
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The saddest part for me was listening to the media describe Millen's relationship with Bill Ford Sr. It sounds like Russ Thomas all over again. :-(

But I like the idea of Jauron as coach. After having his head coach die his rookie year as a Lion, and then suffering through the Rick Forzano and Tommy Hudspeth era, it probably won't take him 5 years like Millen to figure out what sad shape this organization is in. He should already know.

Eastside

Post Number: 693
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just talked to Rob Parker (in line at post office) and we agreed that people in this town dont want to hear the truth. I do appreciate everyone giving their opinion on this...but I dont care how much class and dignity, or how professional Harrington has been...that dont win football games. It's players like Dre Bly that win football games...players with heart.
It's about winning fucking football games...and thats something that Harrington has, in three plus years, shown no ability to do...BOTTOM LINE.

Eastside

Post Number: 694
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want players on your team who perform poorly week in and week out, who practice poorly...and who always find new ways to lose games rather than help win them...but does so in a way that begets class and dignity, then make no mistake about it....Joey Harrington is your guy.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 405
Posted From: 136.2.1.153
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well he's not Dick's guy, because they just announced on 1130 AM that Garcia will be starting on Sunday.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 237
Posted From: 69.215.30.34
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all due respect, Dre Bly is a game-breaker player, meaning he can turn games around - interception return for TDs, and etc. There are not many All-Pro players going to Hawaii from the Lions each year - but Dre Bly had been going there twice already. At this juncture of the Detroit Lions organization, class and dignity needs to make way for the big W. Class and dignity may well be very positive virtues, but they don't win football games. WIN ! That's what the Lions need to do IMMEDIATELY. Otherwise, I am sure more players will be making plans like Dre Bly to move on to greener pastures. If the team starts losing All-Pro caliber players like Dre Bly, then we know this organization will be a wash for the foreseeable future.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 94
Posted From: 147.240.236.8
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't Dre Bly sound alot like Pudge a few months ago? It's crazy how the Tigers and Lions are mirror images of each other especially this year.

Dday
Username: Dday

Post Number: 768
Posted From: 65.209.165.170
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers: 71-91 .438
Lions (One more win over NO): 5-11 .454

Coincidence? Nope.

Fella
Username: Fella

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 64.141.168.2
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as these owners own the Lions they will suck balls, period. This seems to be a reoccuring theme throughout the city of Detroit and all of its buisnesses. Bad management=bad performance. I think everybody with any power in Detroit needs to go to a fucking seminar or something cause other places seem to make things work, why can't Detroit? The lions have been playing the blame game as long as I have been a fan and it will continue until someone else takes control of the team.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.