Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » ::: Detroit Lions ::: » Garcia to start Sunday « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dday
Username: Dday

Post Number: 762
Posted From: 65.209.165.170
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After seeing that moonball throw and Garcia's rocket arm I'm not so sure this is a good thing

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/s tory/5122868

(Message edited by D-Day on November 30, 2005)

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 2677
Posted From: 129.137.176.146
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A curious decision. Since neither Harrington nor Garcia will probably be here next year, I say put in Orlovsky and see what he can do. The season's over anyway. Start the auditions for next year's roster.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3205
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JEEEEZUZ FRICKING CRIPES!!!!!!

Why on gods green earth is he starting Garcia over Harrington? Garcia has one year left in him at best. Harrington at least has a future, if not here, then somewhere else.....

Even if you don't like Joey and don't think you can do anything with him, let him air the ball out and see if you can get trade value out of him. Let him audition as trade bait.

This decision makes NO sense what so ever. Fuck a duck, Chuck, Jauron is falling flat on his face before he has even coached a game. That is just sickening.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 150
Posted From: 69.209.179.211
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this decision is extremely curious. Part of me thinks Harrington will still start Sunday and this is just some cheap strategy to throw Minnesota's prep off a little bit; maybe Jauron has something up his sleeve?

Czar

Post Number: 2678
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, Skulker, weren't you the one who said Kircus was going to come back and haunt the Lions on another NFL team? Instead, no one wanted him and he's on their practice squad.

I highly doubt Harrington will ever be more than a #2 QB in the NFL, either on the Lions or elsewhere.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1353
Posted From: 150.198.150.245
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is exactly what the lions need. Mooch allowed all the players blame Joey so they need to learn that this team is going to suck no matter who starts. Until every players works hard, is professional and is accountable for their own play this team will continue to suck ass.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 695
Posted From: 68.42.170.57
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you kidding me? F*** Harrington, he will be out of the football in two years...the only difference between him and Tim Couch (1999 #1 overall pick...now out of football) is that Joey TALKS a better game.
Tim Couch stats
http://www.nfl.com/players/pla yerpage/133260

Eastside

Post Number: 696
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and Harrington stats
http://www.nfl.com/players/pla yerpage/302199

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3206
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interestingly, Tim Couch's last year of numbers for the bumbling Browns on par with Garcias with the Lions this year and on par with Garcias for with the Bowns last year.

So again, please freaking tell me how having a washed up Garcia start is better than allowing Joey the chance to air out and improve his stock as trade bait? What, do you really think Garcia can get us into the playoffs by winning out the rest of the season?

Did you watch the last game? Did you see that when we finally had an apples to apples comparison (i.e. same opponent, same injured players in the same game etc) if was finally exposed that the all hero, all stud Garcia couldn't do fucking shit either?

So....if Garcia is a great quarterback and Joey matched his performance in the same game does that make Joey a great QB too? Or does Garcia suck as well? If Garcia sucks as well, let Joey play out and try to audition for other teams....

Czar

Post Number: 2679
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The NFL scouts and coaching staffs have already seen what Harrington can or can't do. My guess is the Lions have decided not to keep Harrington and want to see if it's worth keeping Garcia around next year.

If Garcia shows something, they can draft a QB, sit him behind Garica next year and have him take over in year two similar to what Marvin Lewis did with Carson Palmer in Cincinnati.

Eastside

Post Number: 697
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no "audition". He has no trade value because teams know Detroit intends to cut bait and will release him anyway. Around the league, the book on Harrington has been written over the past 3 years. JH had a starting job handed to him (as is the norm for developing top tier talent.) His stock as a starter in this league has been reduced to "junk" status. Another team will give him an invite to camp...but he will never be "handed" any job in the NFL ever again. Any roster he makes...he will have to earn a spot. This is how the end comes for many a once promising NFL QB. The NFL graveyard of former top QB prospects is strewn with examples. Tim Couch is just one of them, maybe a more glaring example being that he was drafted #1 overall.
Did you notice how Tim Couch has a higher career completion percentage and QB rating than Blowey? This is this first season within a questionable development that he has taken steps backward...for a young QB that has had everything handed to him (everything being a starting job in the "what have you done for me lately" NFL...his 4th season...he is done.

...C'mon, have we not see enough? I know I have.
Garcia gives us the best chance to win...and it should now be about winning only.

...I would not be suprised if players went to Jauron and said they would not play for Harrington.
Its over...and I dont want to see "junk" taking anymore snaps for the Lions.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 7829
Posted From: 64.228.209.137
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to Millen he wanted to develop the young talent on this team. So the org. goes with a geezer!
This certainly makes sense. Considering the stupid decisions and ideas that have come out of this "franchise", this clueless idea fits in perfectly!

If I recall, when Olson was doing the play calls on two games last year, Harrington threw for over 300 yards BOTH games and Jones ran for over 100yds.
Give the guy the chance to throw, and I bet you he will.
It seems that with Garcia starting the Lions have indicated that Harrington will NOT be here next year. Too bad because I bet Harrington will do much better on another team. Mark my words.

So if you don't want to see "junk" then why is Garcia starting? Would they not be considered equals and therefore the true starter (Harrington) should start the game.

I think you may be right though. Mooch let the team sink their fangs into Joey and now they do not believe in him anymore. So it's back to the drawing board again............

Way to go Lions! No wonder the team is a laughing stock.

(Message edited by GOAT on November 30, 2005)

(Message edited by GOAT on November 30, 2005)

Eastside

Post Number: 698
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Give the guy the chance to throw, and I bet you he will."

...I will give the guy three plus years, I think thats enough of a "chance"

"Chances" in the NFL are a luxury that few players ever experience...if the Lions are a laughing stock, it's because Harrington has had too many.
Next season he will be looking for a roster spot anywhere. Starting? No way, aint gonna happen.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 7833
Posted From: 64.228.209.137
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you have an O-line that is as crappy as the Lions, Manning wouldn't be able to throw the damn ball! Don't forget an offensive scheme that was played 8-9 years ago, no wonder the boy failed.

So once again we are going to "rebuild" the Lions? Schitt, the Lions have never had to be rebuilt...they wree never built up in the first place.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 859
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's examine these three years Harrington has had here.

Year # 1 - Rookie starting in the NFL. A wash for everyone in NFL history except for Marino & Roethlisburger (sp)

Year # 2 - A starting receiving corps of injured cast-offs. By the end of the year, Reggie Swinton is our best target.

Year # 3 - An offensive line that blows major ass. A decimated receiving corps. An outdated system installed by the same guy who just got fired because he had problems developing anybody at any position.

I have no stake in Joey's career. After Chuck Long and Andre Ware, am I supposed to be surprised that Joey may not have the talent ? My point is that considering the last three years, I don't know how anyone could make any kind of judgement concerning Joey's future. There are just as many quarterbacks that took time to develop into something. Joey has proven he's durable. You don't start thirty some games in a row in the NFL by being a puss. Trent Dilfer went to a Super Bowl and is still starting in this league. Are you telling me Joey doesn't have as much talent as Trent Dilfer ?

This team has tons more problems than Joey Harrington. I think he's done here, but if your think his career is over, you're dreaming. I hope the kid comes back and haunts us for 10 years. There's poison in the Lion's locker room. Dre Bly a winner ?...nice try.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 147.240.236.8
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't believe Joey will ever haunt the Lions. None of the Lions QBs ever come back to haunt them. The haunting part is knowing the Lions have wasted so many draft picks on these guys.

The entire 2002 draft was a bust outside of Julius Peppers and Dwight Freeney, so just let Joey go and move on. Before that draft I was actually hoping that the Lions would draft for defense and let Mike McMahon get his chance. Do any of you think our record would be any worse if McMahon was the QB for these 4 years? It can't get much worse than this.

Atleast, if McMahon played bad in '02, we could have gotten one of the QBs from the 2003 draft class( which is much better i.e. Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich)

Dre Bly is a playmaker. I definitely see Bly making plays on the field, even with his cast he almost had 2 picks. Joey, not a playmaker at all.

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 141.217.44.103
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really dont think Joey is a bust..... Give him an o-line and an offense that he is comfertable in and he could shine. Obviously the west coast O is not the right fit but look at what he did in the run and gun at Oregon

Czar

Post Number: 2682
Posted From: 129.137.209.79
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's just a matter of time before football fans across the land will watch Joey Harrington throw a Super Bowl winning pass to David Kircus.

LOL

Ohudson

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can look at what all the Lions recent high draft picks did in their college days and see great production. The common thing for all is that none of them played in anything like the West Coast offense.

LOL @ Czar, I can't even make that happen on Madden video games.

Lurker
Username: Lurker

Post Number: 1507
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

None of the Lions QBs ever come back to haunt them.

Did you not see Rodney Peete and his Eagles trounce Detroit in the 1995 playoffs?

Czar

Post Number: 2684
Posted From: 129.137.209.79
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That had more to do with Scott Mitchell's imploding than Peete's quarterbacking skills.

Ohudson

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That really happened, I thought that was just a nightmare!! LOL, I forgot that.

Overall, that was just one game (a horrible game it was), none of the ex-Lions QBs have gone on to have Pro Bowl careers. Its not like trading John Smoltz.

Dday

Post Number: 765
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The common thing for all is that none of them played in anything like the West Coast offense.

Mike Williams did. Pete Carroll is definitely a West Coast guy.

Dday

Post Number: 766
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That had more to do with Scott Mitchell's imploding than Peete's quarterbacking skills.

Second that. The Bengals fans down here have mercy on me because the Lions actually thought he could play.

Happy feet, happy feet, happy feet.....MITCHELL IS PICKED OFF!!!

Ohudson

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, USC runs a West Coast offense? What happened, it looks a whole lot different than Mooch's version. And Marty's too. I bet Mike Williams is saying it ain't the same thing.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9501
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Kramer beat up on us a few times as well.

This decision is about as bi-curious as Joey himself.

Bongman

Post Number: 865
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leving Joey out of the picture for a second....anyone who has watched football for any length of time can immediately diagnose that Mr. Garcia's arm is gone...kaput....finis'....rubb er.

I thought I was watching a 50 year old Gary Danielson out there yesterday. ENOUGH !!

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1368
Posted From: 150.198.150.245
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside do you still believe that Jeff Garcia gives the Lions the best chane to win.

Czar

Post Number: 2691
Posted From: 129.137.215.248
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Put in Orlovsky for the rest of the way.

Eastside

Post Number: 706
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Garcia was atrocious...plain and simple. He still gives us the best chance to win though. He has only started 3 games...he led the team to its first road win in a year at Cleveland. Chicago has the most dominant defense in the NFC...and Garcia got that game to overtime...and yesterday he stunk up the joint.
Harrington has blow countless Sundays...has in fact blow seasons. I never want to see him take another snap for the Detroit Lions. When I see him on the sidelines it pisses me off, I want him gone yesterday.
Jauron knows he needs to win NOW....do you think he is going to put his future in Detroit in Harringtons hands? His good friend Mooch did that. I also think he won't put his 4 game audition in the hands of a rookie. If you look at it from Jauron's perspective...the situation makes sense.
That being said...lets see how Garcia does at Green Bay.
It's my opinion that in the very least, Jauron should move Orlovsky to the #2 and give JH Scott Mitchell status.
It's hard to believe Orlovsky could have done any worse than Garcia yesterday, but lets just wait and see what happens at Green Bay.
No matter what though...I would like to see Orlovsky get at least one start. He's the only QB who will be returning next year and lets see what we got. That may be best for the team going forward...to see what we got, but not the best for Jauron's job security (as if he has any). If Garcia blows again...he may feel pressure to do something. I'm curious to see how things shake out.

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 378
Posted From: 69.246.114.51
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please, stop with the "give Orlovsky a chance" stuff. This guy is a bum. Ride the season out with Joey and Garcia__ sad as it might seem, I think Garcia gives the Lions the best chance to win. Granted 'Blue-skies' is the better of the two, but Joey has lost all faith with the players and coaches. Joey deserves a chance some where else__ it's time to move on___ the positive side is that we do have some above talent on offense___ the problem is bringing the right coaches and personel in to motivate and play with them.

can't wait to next season!

super d(motordetroit)

Czar

Post Number: 2695
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't matter who gives them the best chance to win, the season is over. Neither Harrington nor Garcia will be back next season so see what Orlovsky can do. He won't win either, but it will help them determine whether or not they need to draft another QB or sign a veteran.

And, judging by your previous posts Super D ("ain't no way we gonna lose", "Lions on a roll", "Joey goes wild! Lions win 38-14", "I'm not sure why anyone would pick the Bears over the Lions____even wit' the injuries the Leo's are a better team"), I don't think we can declare Orlovsky a bum yet. Stick to the cornbread.

Eastside

Post Number: 707
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO...If Blowy were the "better of the two", then that locker room would not have revolted and refused to play for him.
JH deserves nothing and will be given nothing. I think he will have an opportunity to EARN a roster spot in another city.

Eastside

Post Number: 708
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He speaks well when its coming from his ass.

Czar

Post Number: 2696
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After my last post, I realized, what talented veteran QB, or any other players for that matter, would sign with this franchise right now? It could be a brutal off-season as well.

Brian_no_5
Username: Brian_no_5

Post Number: 303
Posted From: 167.219.0.143
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you saying, "Wait until next year," and anxiously awaiting the ticket order forms in the mail, I have to ask... why do you keep buying tickets??? The only reason I can think of is that the other circus (Barnum and Bailey's) is not in town and you have a hankering for some clowns and the possibility of seeing someone fall on their face without a safety net.

Other than the desire to witness disaster, I see no reason to pay more than $10 to see the Lions play anyone. I don’t think they will win again this season. I don’t think they will win with Harrington, Garcia, Orlovsky, or anyone else who takes the snaps. I don’t think they’ll win if Charles Rogers gets off crack and decides he’s a professional athlete. Call me a traitor if you will, but I cannot bring myself to root for the Lions. I’ll cheer for the Tigers, but no one should be on their feet applauding a train wreck.

The Lions would lose even if they were the Colts.

Bongman

Post Number: 867
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just like it took the media until July to tell us that Woody was too fat to pull to the left, the real story about Joey may not be on the field. We'll hear all about the bloody details sometime during the Summer after Charles Rogers, Garcia, and Joey are long gone. There's poison in that locker room.

Czar

Post Number: 2697
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Move the Lions to Los Angeles.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2021
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So we will then be the largest city in the nation with out an proffessional football team eh czar?

Czar

Post Number: 2698
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, then the NFL gives Detroit an expansion franchise with a new owner, new GM, new roster of players, new coach. This would be different than what happened in Cleveland as most people in Detroit would not want to keep any of the Lions history.

I'm half-joking but it is appealing...

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2022
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol Czar, yeah I actually thought what if the NFL granted a new franchise to Detroit...

Czar

Post Number: 2699
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's put it this way, Los Angeles deserves the Lions, Detroit deserves better. L.A. sports fans are already used to leaving before the games end.

Super_d

Post Number: 379
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Czar" The Lions have puzzled a lot of people, including fans, players and football analysis. So I don't think (early) I was way-off wit' my predictions. Granted I'm a hugh fan, but I'm also realistic. At this point, there mental attitudes are at the lowest point__ so it will be extremely tuff to win another game. But you can't deny that the Lions have above average young talent---they just need a great mind to bring it out.

super d(motordetroit)

(Message edited by super_d on December 05, 2005)

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2023
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd actually agree with that Super.

With all the changes that have been going on within the organization over the last few years(and there has been a few talented players to come and some that left due to front office mis management*Barry Sanders comes to mind in that respect*) and they have still spawned no positive results, the next place to begin looking is at the positions where alot of the decisions are made. Yanno?

If the head of a company keeps making changes to all of his personall yet doesn;t change his policies nor the way he runs things, then no matter how much you shake that organization up if you keep running it in that same fukked up way, you will continue to get fukked up results...

Millen Must Go!

Management 101

Czar

Post Number: 2700
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"But you can't deny that the Lions have above average young talent"

Yes I can.

Super_d

Post Number: 380
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

....And stop with the,"selling the team" stuff too__ I have come to love the honolulu blue and silver and the tradition, history and all that stands for the Detroit Lions. There is only one team I want to see win/ and win a super bowl and that is the "Original" Detroit Lions organization!!!!! anything else would be a substitute and wouldn't feel tha' same.

super d(motordetroit)

Eastside

Post Number: 709
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...from cornbread to "spin city"

Czar

Post Number: 2701
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought like that when I was in 6th grade, now I know better.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2025
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ Super...

I would ,much rather win with a team that has it's roots historically embedded in the city as opposed to a brand new franchise that has to MAKE a history...

Czar

Post Number: 2702
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember, they were the Portsmouth Spartans first.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2026
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah that's true but they do have at lease 60 years of history here in the D though...

Aaron
Username: Aaron

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 69.241.224.171
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, over 70, actually. The Lions moved to Detroit in 1933.

Super_d

Post Number: 381
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

google is god fo' some people! Portsmouth Spartans.

super d(motordetroit)

(Message edited by super_d on December 05, 2005)

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2027
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh ok so it was longer than i thought (hence the term 'at least' :-))

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2028
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stil say they needt o bring Wayne Fontes back...for real...

How many other coaches have taken the Lions to the playoffs four times in the same decade?

Super_d

Post Number: 384
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Detroit_stylin' I'm wit' ya on that! As long as Barry comes back(smile)__ Remember tha' G-r-o-w fan's(Get rid of Wayne fans). They ran the 'big buck' and the Great Lakes offense right out of town. I bet they wish they had the 'big buck' right now.

super d(motordetroit)

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2031
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol Yanno? @ Super...

Bongman

Post Number: 869
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um...I hate to remind everyone, but all Wayne Fontes ever did was waste the career of one of the greatest running backs to ever play the game.

Super_d

Post Number: 390
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Bongman' I quess your right???? Barry only rates behind guys like Jim Brown and Walter Payton....aahh....yeah I'd say that's wasted__ ARE YOU SERIOUS!

super d(motordetroit)

Bongman

Post Number: 871
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn serious.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2035
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barry is still the owner of SEVERAL records that remain to be broken...

Even Emmit Smith is all his over glorified glory admitted that Barry was the best back in ther game...

I fail to see how Wayne Fontes wasted his career when Barry was so instrumental in the majority of the Lions wins. In fact, didn't the Lions RUSH alot more than they threw then?

Czar

Post Number: 2709
Posted From: 129.137.194.53
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to recall that Barry liked Wayne and disliked Bobby Ross.

Eastside

Post Number: 711
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Run-and-Shoot was pass first. The offense was never built around the most explosive offensive player of our time. I'd call that a waste...Barry could have been so much more.
Mouse Davis once called Barry "lazy"

Bongman

Post Number: 872
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I fail to see how Wayne Fontes wasted his career when Barry was so instrumental in the majority of the Lions wins. In fact, didn't the Lions RUSH alot more than they threw then?"
------------------------------ -------------------

Several obvious reasons....

1.) The revolving offensive coordinator position. From the run 'n shoot all the way to 3 yards and a cloud of dust, we never settled on or even had an offensive philosophy.

2.) Which playoff win are you referring to ? The only game we won, in 1991, featured two young teams. The Cowboys went on to three Super Bowls....we went on to nothing.

3.) After stumbling on a fine young offensive line, the Lions never replaced Utley or Andolsek. Our offensive line struggled for the remainder of Barry's career.

4.) The bend but don't break defense usually broke.

Although this town never figured it out, 9-7 and a comedy act doesn't win anything.

Czar

Post Number: 2710
Posted From: 129.137.194.53
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least the Lions were fun to watch when Wayne was the coach. Frustrating yes, but the Millen era Lions have been painful to watch.

Super_d

Post Number: 396
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 4 receiver set or dub'"Run an shoot" was perfect for a runner like Barry__due to the fact that he created his runs on the fly__ A 'big' tight end or full-back would of simply slowed Barry down. If there is one thing that Barry could have been better at, that would be receiving__ He was limited in the passing game because he hand hands of stone. The 4 receiver set spreaded the defense and allowed Barry to pick and choose which lanes to get thru at the line of scrimmage or outside containment__ and once he got in the secondary it was history. If anything a traditional 'pro-set' would have been a waste of talent. I just don't understand when people say, "what if" with Barry Sanders__ Damn what more do you want from the Man! He's only one of the greatest Backs of all time.

super d(motordetroit)

Bongman

Post Number: 876
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was limited in the passing game because he hand hands of stone.
------------------------------ --------------------
Just not true. Barry actually had good hands, even though he was a small target. Plus when he went out for a pass, half the opposing team went with him.

I remember a Monday Night game where Madden casually said, "If Barry was on my team, I don't think he would ever be pass blocking". Madden made that comment after watching Barry do it twice in a row. The Lions were fools then too.

Super_d

Post Number: 397
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, if you are taking me literally, with the "hands of stone" analogy__ then, your ,"half the team went with him" analogy is wrong as well.

Seriously, Barry was never known as an effective pass catcher like a Thruman Thomas or Emmitt Smith.__ had nothing to do with the defense__infact it was often argued why Barry was not involved more in the pass game__ it was often determined that Barry was more effective with long hand-offs in the back field__ which was essentially like a pass play__ And the Madden comment--well that's just stupid-- if you have played football before, you would understand why your running back is vital in pass blocking. I'm sure Madden was thinking more like a fan than a coach with that comment.

super d(motordetroit)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.