Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » A Super Bowl "Out Of Towner" says hello...... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Audible_nectar
Username: Audible_nectar

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 12.214.103.152
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, folks - nice forum you have here :-)

I am one of a lucky 500 people selected by the NFL in the Super Bowl random drawing to purchase tickets to this year's game. Of course I exercised the option to purchase, and will be spending Super Bowl weekend in the Detroit area. So, I'm here to see what I can learn about the City of Detroit and the region in order to plan a little for this year's party - I want to know where to eat, drink and be merry :-) It's been a number of years since I've been in the area (and that was only at the Palace for a concert), so I'm basically uneducated about what's to do in Detroit.

This will be my fourth Super Bowl weekend attended (and my third game - couldn't get in last year). Having that experience gives me a bit of advance insight as to what to expect - the event has commonalities every year, and it seems many of the same complaints come up every year. What has improved from year to year is the "traveling festival" aspect of the Super Bowl - the goal for the organizers and host committees is to make sure that everyone has a good time with this - even if you can't get tickets.

So here's a little "primer" for you locals, from the POV of an experienced Super Bowl attendee:

1) The press won't be kind to your city. The standard for the Super Bowl press is San Diego (or SoCal), Miami (and even they get rapped for the inner city by the press), and New Orleans (probably the most suitable site ever for the game - that is, until Katrina). So understand it now: The national press will give you the raspberries, so don't let it bother you. Jacksonville got whacked pretty hard last year - and it's warm down there! Don't let it bother you - let it motivate you to be a great host city (especially if anyone on this site is on the host committee).

2) I see a common complaint on the site and in the local press, and to a good extent, it's justified: The lack of availability for locals to get tickets to local events/clubs/concerts and other ticketed activites associated with Super Bowl. Many of the events are difficult to obtain tix for and require connections - even as a purchaser through the NFL, I was only offered access to two events: The Taste of the NFL (at a $400-600 donation per person) and the pregame hospitality at $550 each. I passed. Many of the official NFL events are for charity, and are high $$$ donations to enter. "NFL On Location" sells complete packages, too - but are big time expensive.

Most of the access goes to league personnel and corporate sponsors.

HOWEVER:

There is much of this event that IS for everyone - and will be accessible to everyone. It seems the main party is an expanded version of Winter Blast - a MUCH bigger version from last year's trial run. I'm reading that this will be "Salt Lake City Olympics" style big, with multiple music stages and so forth. When the Super Bowl/NFL is involved, it will be BIG, because they intend to impress. I think you're gonna like it....

One more point/word of warning: WATCH FOR SCAMS. There are more scams associated with this event than any I am aware of. Scams for tickets (LOTS of counterfeits last year), scams for celebrity events where the celeb in question knows nothing about it (this happened last year in Jax), scams for events (like the Playboy, Maxim, ESPN, Hawaiiian Tropic, and Sports Illustrated parties and tickets). There are suckers who fall for these every year, so please be careful. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.....

Anyhoo, I'm here to learn a bit about the city, and find out what the "don't miss" aspects of the region are. So, if anyone has recommendations on tourist sites, restaurant lists, and so forth, I would be most appreciative. Also - any sections online dedicated to Super Bowl in Detroit would be most welcome. I've done quite a few searches, but I'm sure there are things I'm missing. Mostly, I'm missing some local opinion.

Thanks in advance for the cyberspace :-)

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 842
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad you're here.

Others who live in Detroit currently can give you a better idea of all the new bars, restaurants, and such. I moved out to CA for work about 1 year ago and have only been back 2x since then.

I will say I recommend the Ford Rouge Tour at Greenfield Village in Dearborn. It is hands down the most automotive thing for tourists to do in the area. Very very cool and well done. Try to hit it on a weekday so you can see the actual production of the F150's and Lincoln Mark LT's. Weekends they don't build so the line is filled with half finished trucks.

Glad you're here. We all love Detroit and are happy you have come to us. Hope you will find it as fascinating as we all do. Its easy to hate, and viewed on the surface can look downright rough or a wasteland. But dig a little deeper and you might get hooked like the rest of us.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 238
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are you staying?
Im sure by now u have booked a hotel room? If it is downtown then I am sure everyone will be able to point yout towards things downtown.

Motownwinterblast.com would be a good start for events downtown

Audible_nectar

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am staying out in Howell. I know, it seems like a long way out, but anything closer is $300 per night - minimum. 400+ is common. The majority of rooms in the area are controlled by the NFL and tour companies, and while many of those rooms are available now for booking by anyone, they are quite expensive. I got a whirlpool suite for under $700 total for 4 nights, and feel like I made out like a bandit. It was also nice to talk to the hotel manager for the booking, as well, instead of the impersonal prepaid site, so i am sure the details are taken care of. The hard part is done :-)

I am OK and accustomed to driving in large cities I have never been before - a little planning usually helps in that regard. I will be looking for other ways to do this (like bus routes to and from the burbs to downtown), but can drive if need be.

Mostly, I'm just looking to get "the local buzz". While I am aware of the rap Detroit gets, I find that such big city "raps" are overrated and overstated, and any city that the NFL saw good enough to host a Super Bowl has to have something! I'm sure there will be lots to see, eat, and do - it's just a matter of getting an education of sorts to make the most of the weekend.

I am well aware of Winter Blast, and have that bookmarked. Most notably, I am curious what musical acts will be booked on those stages. There is supposed to be a list coming soon.

Thanks for the welcomes!

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 239
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmm I am in Brighton, just south of Howell...Where in Howell are u staying?

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 536
Posted From: 68.248.17.168
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's staying a good solid hour from Downtown, that's where he's staying!

Just teasin'! Welcome - I'm sure you'll have a good time. We could list tourist atractions, but what do YOU enjoy? Art? History? Architecture? Cars? Science? Other sports? Types of food?

Help us out a little more and you'll get a ton of awesome suggestions.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2026
Posted From: 64.241.37.140
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the D and the forum.

Howell is becoming the bleeding edge of Detroit's sprawlopolis but you should be able to get in and out quickly as it is along a major artery. But, watch out, you may get a cross burned in front of room. [Just kidding - the area around Howell has an old rap for being KKK Kountry.]

Where is your home?

As for the press beating on us, we are used to it. We can take it. In fact if they don't give us their usual murder-mugger rap we will be more suspicious than if they do. Since our reputation is so stereo typed I suspect we may get a few back-handed compliments. "It wasn't that bad." "I didn't get robbed." etc.

There are tons of things to do and see; you can even go international and get some great culture by seeing the famous Windsor Ballet.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 146
Posted From: 69.246.10.48
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome! And as Eric c advised, post some idea of your interests and you should get just the information you'll need to fill in your itinerary with the best we have to offer.

Msamericana
Username: Msamericana

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 68.43.147.129
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope he realizes what the "Windsor Ballet" means!
http://www.michigannative.com/ ma_wordsphrases.shtml
=)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1563
Posted From: 4.229.72.188
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Audible_nectar... welcome, and enjoy your stay.

If you want to experience the "wow" factor when coming to Detroit, then there are a few things that will give it to you.... (first modern marvels, then old ones):

Modern Marvels in Detroit:

1) Renaissance Center, GM HQ. This 7 tower city-within-a-city center has 273 floors (tallest 73). You can get lost in there (most people do!) stores, restaurants, theatres, hotel, offices.

2) Compuware Center 16 story building that has a massive 15 story atrium (and a Hard Rock Cafe to get a Detroit T-Shirt). Faces the main square of downtown Detroit - Campus Martius. This new main square of the city is very reminiscent of NYC Rockefeller Center (Prometheus Statue & Ice Skating Rink), including a rink.

Historic Marvels in Detroit:

Because Detroit was one of the fastest growing and most prosperous cities in America in the 1920's, it is blessed with some of the best 1920's architecture.

1) Guardian Building. (Goto www.guardianbuilding.com) This 1929 40 story "Cathedral of Finance" is arguably the nations finest Art Deco Bank Building. It's vaulted lobby and main banking hall gives people a stiff neck from all that gaping up at the distant vaulted ceilings covered in dazzling colors of ceramic tiles (produced by Rookwood and Pewabic, the midwests 2 major potteries). It is also worth a visit because in the building arcade is PURE DETROIT, a store devoted articles and souvenirs of Detroit. It is pricey, but during the Superbowl, what isn't?? This is what "Gotham City" architecture looks like on a massive scale (as portrayed in the Batman movies). Neither of New York City's Art Deco giants (Empire State and Chrysler Building) have a lobby that can match the dazzling lobby of the Guardian Building.

2) Fox Theatre - a 1928 Siamese Byzantine style over the top movie palace. But not just a movie palace..... the worlds largest surviving 1920's movie palace with 5,174 seats, and every nook and cranny filled with ornate plaster that brought to Detroit "all the glories of the east, far and near". This Persian-Babylonian-Indian-Siam ese-Chinese theatre is "the last word" in opulent performing arts venues. The 6 story dazzling grand lobby leaves patrons awestruck. It has to, in order to prepare them for the 10 story (105 ft. high) overpowering auditorium.

Both the Guardian Building and Fox Theatre rank a 5 out of 5 stars in the "wow" factor.

The Renaissance Center is on the riverfront, accessible via the Downtown People Mover (elevated train that loops around downtown) - Renaissance Center Station.

The Compuware Building/Campus Martius are on the Cadillac Center Station - People Mover stop (Campus Martius is 1 block away).

The Guardian building is near the People Mover - Financial Center Station (1 block away).

The Fox Theatre is 3 blocks north of the People Movers - Grand Circus Park Station. It is only 2 blocks from Ford Field on Woodward Ave, the main street downtown.

(Message edited by gistok on December 05, 2005)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 712
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 3:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no idea what your travel experience is so - if a US citizen and you do want to go international be aware that for crossing the border you need either 1)a passport or 2)picture ID along with an official copy of your birth certificate

if you have enough time you might visit The Henry Ford. This is where the previously mentioned Rouge tour starts, but there's also an indoor museum that can easily take a day to tour and an outdoor complex, Greenfield Village (though some of it closes in the winter).

Henry Ford's estate, Fair Lane, in Dearborn is also worth a look.

being interested in music you could check out the Motown Museum (bop over to the DetroitYES! sister site www.soulfuldetroit.com and you'll find an online Soulful Detroit tour of various buildings, though only the Motown Museum is open for tours - webmaster Lowell can probably fill in more details on that)

just across the street from each other are the Detroit Institute of Arts and the Detroit Historical Museum. That same area also has the Detroit Science Center and the Charles A. Wright Museum of African American History

also be sure to take a walk along the riverfront or a drive around Belle Isle (Belle Isle used to be the Grand Prix course when it was here and just upriver of the bridge to the island, in the area between the island and the mainland, is where the hydroplane races are held each summer).

the Red Wings are at home on Feb 1 and Feb 8
the Pistons are also home those two dates

how long will you be here?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1569
Posted From: 4.229.72.188
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Henry Ford, as has already been mentioned is a great sight. Amongst its treasures are the Ford Theatre chair in which Abraham Lincoln was assassinated, the Ford Limo in which president Kennedy was assassinated, and on a brighter note, the bus in which Rosa Parks made her stand exactly 50 years ago.

And speaking of Rosa Parks, after lying in state in the US Capitol last month, she lied in state in Detroit at the Charles A. Wright Museum of African American History, and is buried in Detroit's Woodlawn Cemetery.

Lilpup

Post Number: 713
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 3:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you like what you see at the Guardian Building or are into pottery/ceramics at all then visit Pewabic Pottery and pick up a few things - they also do custom work if you want to order something special

just 3 miles from the Renaissance Center (GM headquarters) and 1.5 miles past the bridge to Belle Isle

Audible_nectar

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of good suggestions here - thanks! I'll comment a bit on these, then I'll have some holes to fill below :-)

"The Windsor Ballet": That's funny - hehehe :-) In relation to the Super Bowl, that's actually good for business. Lots of demand for such entertainments - especially when many of the visitors will be rich businessmen. I seem to remember, on a prior visit to the area, driving along 8 Mile, I think, and one side of the street was all "clubs", and the other side, everything else. I couldn't help but think this arrangement was due to local laws - can't remember which side (city or suburb) but remember them being there nonetheless. It's not my first choice of entertainment, but many of the visiting fans will love that this is available. "High Brow" versions of such clubs will make huge bank. Did the law change and you have to go to Windsor now, or is it just due to the "quality" of the establishments that they go to Windsor?

Renaissance Center & Compuware Center: I certainly anticipate hitting these two - and lots in that area, as this appears to be "the party zone" (especially north on Woodward from Campus Martius). From what I'm reading, most of this will be "festivalized", and I plan to spend considerable time in that area (Saturday and Sunday).

The Fox Theatre would be on my list (especially if there was a performance there) - but there's not. The NFL is using this for game weekend hospitality (including the Sunday Touchdown Club pregame party), so there will be no access that weekend, AFAIK. I have seen the St. Louis and Atlanta Fox Theatres, and they are among the finest music halls I've ever seen. I'm told the Detroit version is similar.

I'll probably see the Guardian, too, especially since I will be downtown.

The Henry Ford and The Motown Museum look interesting (music is a big hobby for us). Might be a good way to spend Friday....

Sports and concerts: It seems to me that the only other doable sports events are on Wed, Feb 1 - but that's actually a day earlier than we expect to arrive. We might come a day early, but are still thinking about this. We plan to leave town on Monday, Feb 6. There is also a Moe. concert at the Michigan Theater in Ann Arbor that interests us, we are still thinking about that too.

Now, the "holes":

Food: We are open to lots of stuff. Steak, seafood, ethnic, just about anything. In regards to food, we have three basic considerations:

1) We are leaving it open somewhat in regards to category because we realize that some cities/regions have particular food specialties in regard to restaurants. Also, we like everything from the pizza/gyro/hot dog type stuff that many urban areas have (like Chicago - that city rules on that kind of food), to good steakhouses and ethnic cuisine (especially Italian and Mexican specialties).

2) and 3) I then want to split the recommendations on restaurants into Suburban (for Thursday and Friday) and Downtown (for Saturday and Sunday). For Suburban, it can be just about anything from Howell to Ann Arbor/Novi/Dearborn regions. Ann Arbor is convenient to where we are staying - at least in terms of driving distance. For Downtown, I'm interested in two specific meals: A late Saturday afternoon dinner, and an early afternoon pregame Sunday Brunch, in the area from Renaissance Center to the Cobo, and or working north along the Woodward Ave corridor towards Ford Field - or accessible by people mover. These two meals, I'm thinking, might be a good idea to have reservations for (and it's early enough that I should have time to do so) - but all suggestions welcome, reservations required, or not.

The Hard Rock cafe is good enough (although better quality options are certainly good) - but I expect a place like the Hard Rock to be packed over that weekend, and want to be prepared with more and better options.

Which brings me to the subject of parking: Any good suggestions on parking options in the downtown region? Any centrally located spots I can leave my car all day Saturday and Sunday? Pay lots are fine. I would like to park the car on Saturday and Sunday and do the whole day by foot or people mover - then leave after the Saturday Kid Rock show and Sunday game are over. We plan to be downtown most of the day on Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks again, folks!

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1247
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is food my input:

Except for maybe one of the Thai places, all of my suggestions are unique places to Detroit.

Mexican Food: Drive out to West Vernor, for the most part, you can ignore the "Mexican Village" Places on Bagley and find more authentic food deeper in the neighborhood. Others may have specific suggestions, I haven't had bad meals. But be sure to check out a bakery to take some stuff back to the hotel with you.

Or, for a cool place with marginally mexican (but good) food, go to Agave on the corner of Canfield and Woodward. It is a great bar with lots of great variations on the Margarita and often good music. Sunday nights are normally House with Delano Smith, Mike Clark, and Norm Talley..

Near this crossroads, there are also some other good restaurants and bars(Union Street, The Majestic Cafe, Garden Bowl (bowling alley), Beans and Bytes has good coffee.

For Italian, the oldest place around is in the Eastern Market area. Romas I think. Sala Thai is down the street on Russell and is some great Thai, and also has non-traditional sushi.

Eastern Market will still be worth it on a Saturday morning in the cold, but it is much better in the summer. Check out Russell Street Deli for the best breakfast ever.

Two other Thai joints are on Monroe, one near Farmer, and the other near Randolf. Also near Farmer on Monroe is a Indian Place Sizzle'n'Spice.

I HIGHLY recomend trying Vicenties on Library St. (You will need reservations, and they have entertainment most nights). It is great Cuban. Friday is Salsa night. (http://www.vicente.us/)

If you like Sushi, the corner of Woodward and Clifford or John R is Oslo. It is also a great place to hear electronic music.

You have to get some Soule food while you are here. Magnolia in the East Riverfront area is really nice.

I tried Slows last night in Corktown, (http://slowsbarbq.com/letter_f rom_the_chef.html) and it is great! Awesome beer selection. One of my biggest beefs with Detroit is that most bars are skimpy on the local beer.

Speaking of, make sure you try Bells wherever you can. It is brewed in Kalamazoo, but sold in many places (but not enough) in Detroit.

Jacoby's is south of greektown and is a cool little German restaurant and bar.

If you haven't yet, go to the Lafayette or American Coney Islands between Lafayette and Michigan downtown.

In Ann Arbor, try the Pricly Pear on Main Street. It is an eclectic Southwest place.

I hope somebody else can point you to a good Middle Eastern place in Dearborn. I haven't been yet, and would like a suggestion.

Finally, use the MetroTimes website as a resource:

http://www.metrotimes.com/

You can find info, including reviews to a lot of places.

Enjoy Detroit!

More info coming.

Jsmyers

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW - What kind of music are you interested in?

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 7852
Posted From: 67.70.118.28
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Audible_nectar, there are many open hotel rooms in Windsor that are not charging $300.00 and it is only a shuttle bus (5 min.) away from the downtown area and Ford Field. This way you can see Detroit without the hassle of driving in from Howell.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 364
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you get snowed in Howell and can't get out, then go on over to Cleary's Pub on Grand River in downtown Howell. It's a great place with cool atmoshere.

Sportswise, try and catch a Pistons, Red Wings, UofM hockey or MSU basketball game. Those teams are always a good time. Watching a UofM hockey game at Yost Ice Arena is an experience that can't be replicated anywhere.

Downtown Detroit, take a ride around on the people mover and look out the window either at night or during the day. It's the best little tour for 50 cents in the city. The lights at night and the river are pretty cool. As far as downtown Detroit bars go, check out Jacoby's German Beirgarten on Brush, The Detroit Beer Company on Broadway and the Centaur or Town Pump Tavern on Park behind the Fox Theater.

Tåla
Username: Tåla

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 68.41.164.3
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have one suggestion for great food in Howell.
Mexicali Allies
117 N Michigan Ave
Howell MI
48843-2201
517-548-7333
They have the best Mexican food out that way.
started in old Redford in detroit as Old Mexico Restaurant.

(Message edited by Tåla on December 05, 2005)

Jsmyers

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is another useful website:

http://www.thedetroiter.com

Here is some art other than the DIA you should check out:

Heidelberg project (http://www.heidelberg.org/)
DAM (http://www.detroitartistsmarke t.org/)
CAID (http://thecaid.org/index.html)
CPOP (http://www.cpop.com/)
101up (http://www.101up.com/)
555 (http://www.detroitbydesign.com /555.html)
Zeitgeist ((http://www.zeitgeistdetroit.or g/)
College for Creative Studies (http://www.ccscad.edu/)
4731 (http://www.4731.com/04/)
WSU (http://www.art.wayne.edu/gal_e lj.html)
G.R.N'Namdi (http://www.grnnamdigallery.com /)
Raw Art (http://www.izzysrawart.com/)
Pewabic (http://www.pewabic.com/)
Pr1mary (http://www.pr1maryspace.com/)
Scarab (http://www.scarabclub.org/)
Severance (http://www.s3v3ranc3.com/)
Sherry Washington(http://www.sherrywashingtongal lery.com/)

Outside of Detroit proper:

MONA (http://www.detroitmona.com/)
Revolution (http://www.revolutn.com/)

From the Metrotimes:

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=6744

This list is by no means exhaustive!

(Message edited by jsmyers on December 05, 2005)

Jsmyers

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also highly recomend checking out some local theatre if that interests you at all:

http://www.rosedalecommunitypl ayers.com/

Also look in this thread for information about a lot of things, including theatre:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/50492/58814.html

Jsmyers

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That previous thread missed these things:

http://www.redfordtheatre.com/
http://www.dtos.org

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1417
Posted From: 4.229.132.84
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow folks here do know their city.I would add only one thing if you are interested in seeing the Guardian try and get up to see the Fisher bldg as well.The Fisher lobby is very impressive and huge........not as over the top as the Guardian but as elegant and representative of the era as any anywhere.............have fun.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 367
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann Arbor places to check out:

The Gandydancer: Elegant evening meal in an old railroad station on north side of town by the river and UofM Hospital. Great atmosphere. Excellent menu.

Real Seafood: Best seafood in the area. Can't be beat. On Main Street.

Mongolian BarBQ: Great food. Great entertainment watching them cook it. Lots of options if you're group has finicky eaters.

Breakfast
Angelos on northern edge of central campus near UofM hospital. Famous place to eat. Line is always out the door. Food is great but not quite as good as...

The Northside near the Broadway Bridge on the city's northside at the corner of Maiden Lane, Pontiac Trail and Pylmouth Road. The food is amazing. Service is great. One of the city's best kept secrets.

Bars
Grizzly Peak. Great brew pub for pre-dinner drinks. It's on Washington or Liberty in downtown.

Connor O'Neils. I should hate this place because it fired my arse in college, but you can't beat it as far as Irish bars go. Great place for after-dinner drinks. On Main Street in downtown.

Arbor Brewing Company. Arguably best atmosphere in Ann Arbor with the most artistic parking garage across the street from it on Washington in downtown. It's nachos are excellent.

Ashley's on State Street. Easily the biggest beer selection on tap I have ever seen. Great atmosphere.

Concert venue
The Blind Pig on First Street. Nirvana listed this as its favorite small venue. The place has an unbelievable history of musical performances. Great place to catch any type of band.

After bar eats
The Fleetwood. This place is legendary. It's in an old trailer in downtown and the definition of a greasy spoon. Everybody eats there from bums to yuppies. My girlfriend's little sister, then 18 and a Denny's junkie, went there and immediately said "I'm not feeling this" after walking through the door. But she stuck it out for one meal and now drags all of her friends there any chance she gets. Get the hippie breakfast. You won't be disappointed.

Lilpup

Post Number: 714
Posted From: 66.89.12.30
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aw hell, even Julie Wilson's done breakfast at the Fleetwood

Audible_nectar

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow - you people DO know your city! Thanks much for the info! It looks like I'll have some links to follow and reading to do :-)

Goat said:

"Audible_nectar, there are many open hotel rooms in Windsor that are not charging $300.00 and it is only a shuttle bus (5 min.) away from the downtown area and Ford Field. This way you can see Detroit without the hassle of driving in from Howell."

What hotels are these?!?!? Tell me more, tell me more:-) I considered the idea of staying in Windsor, but didn't have any better luck getting rooms (other than the $300 - and yes, that was USD - and up, per night). So if you know of hotels in Windsor, especially downtown (or within easy cross-border shuttle access) with availability, I would be very interested. Granted, the bookers I used were the majors (expedia/orbitz etc) and major chain sites and local links, so I may have missed some independents or mom and pop inns, I'm sure.

The shuttle sounds like a great way to cross the border, too (I am assuming that goes cross border?). I assume I need license and birth cert/passport to go back and forth (true?) - is there any reason why I wouldn't want to do this? Is the border crossing otherwise a hassle? I think airports are a pain in the rear, but if easy border crossings (especially by shuttle) are the norm, Windsor sounds like a very good option locationwise....it's a helluvalot closer than Howell:-) It would also be nice to let others do the driving Saturday and Sunday.....

So what's the hotel I missed in Windsor???

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 240
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You do not want to be in Howell...that much i can tell you :/

What is normally an hour drive (almost) will take much longer with the snow that is bound to come and the extra traffic

Thrice
Username: Thrice

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 207.91.250.131
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm renting out my apartment, 4 blocks from the field. Still up for grabs.

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 24.192.32.249
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a great map for Downtown, Midtown and Belle Isle.
http://www.detroit2005.com/map o/main_area.html

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 2830
Posted From: 24.22.82.162
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroiters are sensitive to how you say our city.
It is de-troit, soft "D". Only some hillbillies from Kentucky say DEE-troit.

We say in-surance, not INN-surance. We say dis-play, not DISS-play. We eat at Coney Islands. Order two on one, onions, with a Vernor's Ginger Ale. Chips, no fries. Some are served up through a plexiglass lazy susan, a restaurant ambiance which is pure Detroit, invented here.

Take an extra 30 minutes and come in from Howell on Grand River Avenue. It is the old US 16 and runs right through downtown Brighton, New Hudson, Farmington, Novi, Redford, and into Detroit City Limits at Telegraph Road. Grand River may be marked (M5) in places. It ends right downtown Detroit.

Once you drive the complete route on Grand River Avenue, you'll get a taste of the difference between the built environment inside and outside Detroit and see the evidence of massive post-1950s urban disinvestment unlike any American city. This was once a major highway, US 16, in and out of Detroit, before expressways criss-crossed Detroit. Grand River is huge and will have few cars on it. Imagine this road in the 1920s, the 1940s. Imagine electric feeder buses every 7 minutes chock-a-block with students, shoppers, and workers heading into town. Imagine the regional shopping districts, the theaters, The Olympia (home of the circus, Red Wings, Beattles, Elvis shows), imagine the grand neighborhoods "offa Grand River." Imagine the massive automobile factories tucked into those neighborhoods like Detroit Diesel, Ford Tractor, Massey Ferguson, GM, Fords, Nash Kelvinator, Lincoln, Cadillac, and a million job shops, etc.

At Oakman, imagine a massive Sears store on your left-hand side, where Little JJABA sold Sunday bulldog Detroit Times on Sat. night out the back door by the parking lot. This is our Detroit, and no tv show will ever show you the real Detroit, a city of neighborhoods.

You might drive out E. Jefferson to Belle Isle. It is a wonderful City Park deisgned by Frederick Law Olmsted, who designed NYC Central Park. Make the full loop drive. You can view Canada on the southside of the island. If the weather is nice, go for a walk and see the Detroit skyline at the point on the Westend.

But beware, you are on the Eastside. Woodward Ave. splits the city and folks like jjaba don't know much about it. We don't diss the Eastside, we just have never been there.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 889
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never set foot west of Woodward and for good reason... I have NO reason to. Imagine a square house... 2 stories... brick, with windows.. Multiply by about 500.. and you have a beautiful westside neighborhood... Not too impressive if you ask me.. The streets go north and south... east and west.. just like chicago, new york, bla bla bla... Add a few factories, and what really unique thing do you really have??

If you want to see the REAL Detroit... The one that was ACTUALLY HERE BEFORE THAT GODFORSAKEN AUTOMOBILE... Which spun off and manufactured the West side, When you cross that border off Jefferson, make a Right.. NOT a left... and continue east to see the old warehouses that lined the riverfront, that used to house goods comming off freighters before distribution. On the riverfront passed the rencen, you can see only thusfar completed section of the new riverwalk... a multi million dollar renovation of 5 miles of the river from Belle Isle to the Ambassador Bridge to windsor. Imagine what will be next to it in the next decade.

Continue on to Iriquous (sp?) and Seminole and check out the beautiful Gas lantern lit Indian Village. Grand homes abound here and the neighborhood is mostly filled with wealthy Detroiters, that flat out refuse to follow the trend to leave the city for the suburbs. While the Grosse points are wealthy and conservative about it (usually homes are hidden behind bush fences), Detroiters are quite open about opulance... and you can see it in this neighborhood. They take pride in making their homes a work of art.

Continue east to the Bell Isle bridge, which in itself is quite beautiful. Tour the island and imagine the potential... Just because the place needs some work and TLC doesnt mean that one day this island cant be fully restored. The lake can use dredging, and the waterfall needs work... but its striking in itself that this beautiful infastructure exists in a city park that takes up an entire island, COMPLETELY devoted to public use. (Island property in michigan goes for a rediculous premium (ie harsens island, stag island, Mackinaw Island ect.)).. so public use of something like this is actually quite a big deal. You can see the Detroit skyline better there than anywhere else really.. and see the entire length of the riverfront development that is taking shape. Take a look also at the former Detroit Boat Club... This is where industrial barrons docked their boats and watched the Gold Cup Races along the river. (the rest of the throngs sit over near Sinbads Restaurant, another attraction you should enjoy).

Continue on to see the architecture of Waterworks park. Again, Detroit's traditional flamboyancy of opulance is shown... as the architecture of this park is stunning. If you decide to back track a bit... visit Elmwood Cemetary... and imagine having generations of your family burried here... alongside the founders of the city (agustus Woodward, Joseph Campau, Fr. Gabrial Richard.) and several govenors and mayors. Detroit's eastside cemetaries rival the beauty of New Orleans... and as a matter of Fact share many of the same attributes, since BOTH cities were founded by Lafayette in the early 18th Century (Detroit Predating NO by about 15 years).

THe street layout (if you just want to tour the city) is pretty neat in Itself (only on the Eastside). If you take Mack Ave. (while also seeing the "Real Detroit") north to the Grosse pointe border at Alter road, You will notice every 150 Feet is a street going toward the river. The names of these streets Are actually the names of the families that owned the ribbon farms that stretched from the river inward about 3 miles each, and were only... 150 feet wide. These names include Riopelle, Chene, Duboise.

THe eastside is tricky to navigate however.. Imagine navigating Paris...(how the eastside was layed out similar to), but if you stick to mack you will eventually hit the beautiful neighborhoods of East English Village (Between Outer Drive and Cadieux) (visit the Cadieux Cafe, for a true Belgian Eastside experiance, like feather bowling.. and east of mack is the exclusive neighborhoods of the grosse pointes. If you ever get lost BTW. Gratiot Avenue runs From Downtown to the City of Port Heuron about 60 Miles to the North East. Going south will bring you back to Downtown, North is out of the city Into Eastpointe and then Roseville. If you have some extra time... Head north another couple of miles, and you will hit Mt. Clemmons.. This former outpost town is now in the middle of the greater Metropolis, and offers some decent nightlife.

I would advise Heading east on Cadieux (hit the Cafe on the way BACK would be advisable ;)) Until you hit Jefferson and go north. You will Tour the lakeshore estates of the Pointes, and at one point the road goes along side the lake, giving a beautiful view of St. Clair (WAY bigger than it looks on a Map, you CANNOT see across ANY point of it as it is 20+ miles to Canada from the pointes.) on your right and grandiose homes on your left (currently lit with christmas cheer).

ALso I would advise the Jacks Riverboat tour, it is very insightful to Detroit's past present, and future history... as well as whats to come in Development. ALso tour the fisher mansion, and prepare to be awestruck.... thats all I can tell u ;)... As well as the Ford Mansion... In GP.

If you happen to be Catholic, Celebrate mass at one of the several amazing churches in what is called the "Cluster". St. Josephat's offers a latin mass that predates Vatican II which is a beautiful service. Sweetest Heart of Mary and Holy Family are also worth Visiting.

THere is more on the Eastside than that... but you only have a week ;).... Much more interesting than a car factory and some shops ;)

The East side can Rag on the Newcommers ;)... But were all part of Detroit.

Westsiders are traditionally more polite and formal than the eastsider, but lack the personality and sharpness and "Hip" Qualities of the excessivly partying east.

If you are in Farmington hills ect... your much more likely to get a Hello, where in Roseville, you will probably get a Wad up...

Jjaba

Post Number: 2836
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Alexei. Who would have known?
jjaba

Lilpup

Post Number: 722
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alexei, I think LeMoyne (NO) and Cadillac (D) might go 'eastside' on you for giving away their cities to Lafayette

William_x
Username: William_x

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 4.165.105.134
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am for the superbowl here in Detroit,but after reading the following article I think its a damn shame to do the helpless and homeless the way they are going to do them.Out of Towners gets top respect,and damn the detroit citizens who are barely surviving. SUPER BOWL XL COUNTDOWN

Homeless pose dilemma for Super Bowl planning

What can Detroit do about panhandling?

Brad Heath / The Detroit News
Brandy Baker / The Detroit News

Stan Bryson, 49, lost his apartment to a fire and doesn't have a job but says he doesn't panhandle. "People are scared of the homeless," he says. "You can feel how afraid they are. It's not a good feeling." See full image

Daniel Mears / The Detroit News

Mollie Lee, 42, is visiting a 24-hour shelter in Detroit. Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's staff, advocacy groups and business owners will discuss what to do about the homeless during the Super Bowl and the festivities leading up to the game. See full image

Printer friendly version
Comment on this story
Send this story to a friend
Get Home Delivery
DETROIT-- Edward Skipper, 33, and homeless, seems certain that as Detroit polishes its image for the Super Bowl, his isn't the face city leaders will want the region's out-of-town guests to see.

"I don't see them allowing anyone to go up to people from out of town or anything like that," he said on a recent morning, sitting in the back of a 24-hour homeless shelter in one of the bleak neighborhoods north of downtown.

"They're going to be extra hard on that. They might even try to ship everyone out. I don't know."

But he said he has friends who will be panhandling anyway.

Two months before the Feb. 5 Super Bowl fixes the world's eyes on Detroit, city leaders say they don't yet have a plan for the homeless who inhabit soon-to-be-bustling downtown districts.

Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's staff is scheduled to meet this week with advocacy groups, business owners and others to begin figuring out what to do.

What the city can do is far from clear. While other Super Bowl cities have set up temporary shelters and cracked down on panhandlers, neither Detroit nor the scattering of nonprofit groups that serve the homeless have much extra money to spend on accommodations.

And the city has little legal authority to expel homeless people from the area if they aren't breaking the law and don't want to leave.

"It's a touchy subject and one we have to address very cautiously," said Al Fields, Detroit's interim chief operating officer, who is coordinating the effort.

"I know panhandling is an issue, but we have to be aware of the human rights issues as well."

If the city wants to keep the homeless from panhandling around the Super Bowl and all the events leading up to it, it needs to find someplace else for them to go, said Chad Audi, chief operating officer for the Detroit Rescue Mission, one of the city's homeless shelters.

"If they want to be there hustling people, it wouldn't look to good for Detroit," Audi said. "As long as we're providing alternatives, we shouldn't have that problem."

Stan Bryson, 49, lost his apartment to a fire and doesn't have a job. He doesn't panhandle -- "hell no," he declared -- and saves what he can by passing out handbills and doing odd jobs in the city. And he knows too well the looks on the faces of people who see him on the street.

"There's an element of fear. People are scared of the homeless," he said.

"You can feel how afraid they are. It's not a good feeling."

Simply cracking down is unacceptable, Audi said. "We don't want them to be picked up from the streets and thrown away," he said. "We don't want them to be treated like criminals simply because they're homeless."

Even with tougher panhandling enforcement, the city can't banish the homeless from downtown simply for being homeless.

"You can't restrict somebody's right to association because you don't like the way they look or how much money they have," said Kary Moss, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union's Michigan chapter.

Detroit has seized on the Super Bowl as an opportunity to sell itself anew to the rest of the country; it has spent five years trying to shed the crumbling landmarks of its dilapidated image.

The Super Bowl spotlight has been the impetus to demolish some long-neglected buildings and finally restore others in crumbling sections of downtown. The city has pushed hard for new stores and restaurants and has remade some of its main streets.

Officials say they're being cautious about how they handle the homeless during the Super Bowl because missteps could bruise the city's image -- either if panhandling is too rampant or the city's crackdown too aggressive.

"They have these problems in every city, with every game, but everyone is very fearful of the Detroit image, and we're trying oh-so-hard not to give anyone the opportunity to bash us."

Businesses have expressed concern that aggressive panhandling -- which is illegal -- could scare away customers.

"We try to be understanding with their plight, and we don't want to harass them or anything like this," said Dr. Steve Georgiou, who owns the Olympia Shish Kebab and is president of the Greektown Merchants Association.

"But we don't want them to lie down in the doorway and cause a problem for our customers. And we discourage giving money to people on the street because it frightens people when someone comes up and says give me a dollar. We want to put an end to something like that because those people might not come back downtown again."

The city's Super Bowl Host Committee is involved in the planning, but has not advocated a particular approach, its spokesman, Ken Kettenbeil, said. "We don't have a policy, we don't have a plan. It's not something we have control over," he said.

Before the last Super Bowl, nonprofit groups in Jacksonville, Fla., opened a temporary homeless shelter big enough to accommodate about 300 people. Churches donated food.

Almost immediately, there was a line to get in, said Wanda Lanier, the executive director of the Emergency Services and Homeless Coalition of Jacksonville.

She said rumors that city police swept the homeless off the streets in the days before the Super Bowl proved to be unfounded: A study found arrests of the homeless actually dropped around the time of the game. Nor did the game bring more homeless people to the area, she said, though rising prices at budget motels did leave some low-income families who had been living there with no place to stay.

The shelter closed a few days after the game.

"They had really hoped that the city would see that there was a need for a shelter and somebody would come along and say we can't close this down," she said. "People were very angry the day we had to close the doors and put them back on the street."

(Message edited by William_X on December 07, 2005)

Lilpup

Post Number: 723
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would panhandling be any more prevalent during the Super Bowl than it already is? It's not like poor folk will commute down from Flint or something. Seems silly that this is more of an issue for the Super Bowl than it is on a daily basis or for any major convention/show in town.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 895
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I correct myself with Lafayette... It was Cadillac that ran Detroit for several years after it was founded ... he was transfered to NO to get that settlement up and running once Detroit was self sufficiant.

(I dont know why i got them confused)... No Eastsideing needed ;).. Probably because their french...

As with the homeless...

Doesnt Detroit have like... half the amount of bums that San Diego and Jacksonville have??

I thought our weather was a good bum stopper...
I noticed that it seemed like nearly 1/3rd of San Diego was homeless... and they ALL were panhandeling... Many noticibly strung out...

Detroit's bums are harmless at best, pretty damn funny at worst... I had one guy walk me and my drunk friends back to his appartment 2 miles down Cass late at night saying he was "Protecting" us... Tellin us bout all the dudes hes beaten the piss out of... "I beat them brakes off them muther fukers man... " (this guy was like 5'6 MAYBE 135lbs...) He eventually found a decent looking chick (with high heels btw) and he demanded money for our "Protection"... lol we gave him each a dollar just for the laugh...

Others we would walk by once with a cast on their arm... and later on in the evening we pointed out that they now had TWO broken arms ;)....

I dunno... I just say let em be... This city is big enough for everybody... and should welcome people from all walks of life...

Jjaba

Post Number: 2837
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 4:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac, the same guy for whom they named the car. Both the man and the car are Detroit products. He washed up here in the early 18th century and had a good run of it.

de-troit, the straits refers to the Detroit River, the straits between Lakes Huron and Erie.
About 30 miles.

Detroit does honor the Marquis de Lafayette in a major downtown street which extends both East and West through Detroit.

What IS important here, is that Detroit precedes the United States by nearly 100 years. It was both French and British and American over the history. Detroit is 150 yrs. older than the State of Michigan and was the State Capitol at one time.

jjaba, Research Dept.

Audible_nectar

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thrice - I doubt I can afford the rate - but I hope you have luck renting it. Many in Jax last year tried renting out thier personal properties, most had no luck. Typically, the asking prices were too high - and since most aren't interested in booking accomodations until the teams are determined for the game (less than two week window), there is limited time to match those offering lodgings with those needing them. Also - folks spending big money want SERVICE. Most who would rent yours would be "do it yourself" types (which I am) - but would likely want something more "budget" priced. If you are "cheaper than I think", feel free to make an offer....

You might try targeting media people for this. They might have better budgets, too.

Jjaba and Alexei - thanks for the DETAIL. Very nice "tour guides" you both make:-)

On the homeless:

I remember this being an issue in the Jax press last year. I do recall them establishing that shelter for game week.

There were no particular problems in the downtown/party area for game weekend, not that the place was devoid of homeless locals - they were there. Many of them got "jobs" working for the scalpers, who would send them into the streets with signs searching for available tickets from prospective sellers - then the scalpers would give them a finder's fee.

I did encounter a panhandler in a parking area downtown, and I do what I usually do - give him a couple of dollars. Generally I do make it a habit to have a few loose dollars and change in an easily accessible place when I am in large city centers - because I would rather be and act like a guest of thier city than to show up and say no to them. If I can afford to be there, I can afford a few dollars pocket change.

It's really not the issue that the City thinks it is. If they offer shelters/food to those in need, the party zone will absorb the rest. Not only will there be the $$$ spending out of towners, but there will be a cross section of locals too, taking in the festivities. In fact, there will likely be MORE locals than visitors. So the homeless who are there just blend into the massive throng....

It IS an "image thing", but if the city arranges a humane method of dealing with the issue (providing shelter and food would be suggestion number one), there shouldn't be any major issues.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 585
Posted From: 199.178.193.5
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Panhandling downtown was at least three times worse than I have ever seen it during the All-Star game. The cops don't even bother hassling them at all anymore.....sad really, as the panhandlers we have downtown aren't homeless at all......many of them make a great living at it, or spend it all on drugs and alcohol. If you see a homeless person, offer to buy him/her a meal.....if you encounter someone asking for money, don't give them any please, it only encourages their behavior........therefore discouraging them from getting help for their affliction......

William_x

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 4.165.12.103
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup and Nectar I must salute you for your outstanding remarks,and lilpup I have been trying to contact the two writers of the article to see what is the differences.I think its a selffish image for the newspapers to place the blame on the homeless.This is the Homeless city they live in,and the superbowl is a once in a lifetime thing for Detroit,and I guess my question is why show out against the homeless to try to better the City's image to please out of town visitors.They don't give a damn about Detroit believe me,and neither does most suburbanites.Nectar thanks for helping the homeless here in the inner-city.Some so-called homeless huslters need to go home to their homes,and there is some who really is in desperate needs,thanks to the former Govenor Angler lol (He was always angling)

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 247
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cops do mess with them during Tiger games, at least before the game... While waiting out front I have seen on numerous occasions police were taking out the more demanding homeless ppl.

However, if u arrive late to the game about the 3rd inning or so, the police are gone and the homeless are swarming the ticket center

William_x

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 4.165.48.187
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have often wonder do the suburbs have bums (as you all call them)? Unforturnate people live all over,and who are we to judge who's homeless,who's not homeless,and who is just out playing the game of Hustling? Myself I would give anyone some money if I sense that they are really in need.Because in the good book (bible) it say its better to give then receive,and I believe in the long run I will get back double what I gave away.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 765
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

William_x

I have often wonder do the suburbs have bums?

You are kidding, right?

Fuck yeah the burbs have homeless/bums/bag ladies. Hit the little park in RO between City Hall and the Library, there are quite a few hanging out during the summer.

Funkycarrie
Username: Funkycarrie

Post Number: 112
Posted From: 69.208.32.222
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if it's been mentioned in here or not, and I should probably re-read through the thread again, but I'm not going to.....

I'd make sure to give plenty of driving time into the city if you're out in Brighton. They've been reporting that it is going to be a nightmare trying to drive into the city that week, and to try and avoid it at all costs.

Quickdrawmcgraw
Username: Quickdrawmcgraw

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Getting back 2 the original thread:

Naughty stuff--

Any topless bar along 8 Mile Road
Go across to Canada and see it all

Something different stuff--

Feather bowling at the Cadieux Cafe on the Eastside

Cultural stuff--

Hitsville USA/Motown Museum (of course)
Detroit Institute of Arts
Detroit Historical Museum (old streets of Detroit)

Specifically Detroit Stuff--

Eating a Coney Island
Go to Pure Detroit Retail Shop for auto themed gear
Pick up an entertainment weekly guide to attend a Techno/Dance party

What a local showed me while I was in Detroit stuff--

Riding the People Mover
Gambling at a Casino
Riding the elevator to the 72nd Floor in the Ren Cen
Shopped at Somerset Collection in Troy

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 68.33.206.90
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somerset Mall--whoop-de-doo
And.... they have the nerve to call that a collection????

Audible_nectar

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Super Bowl Event Update:

Tickets for the NFL Experience, the interactive football theme park, will go on sale December 14 at 9AM. Tickets are $15 (plus Ticketmaster service charges).

This "interactive theme park" will be set up at Cobo Center, in the midst of the downtown festivities, and will take place Feb 1-5. This includes the worlds largest NFL card show, autographs, skills competitions - an interactive football playground. Many who go to the downtown festivities will want to attend this (I can imagine many fathers and sons) but requires advance tickets. They are sold in three hour blocks. The most popular times (Fri, Sat, and Sun) sell out early, so plan ahead for this.

I thought I read something about Barry Sanders possibly being at one of the weekend sessions, but cannot remember where I read that - or if it was specifically mentioned which day.

Since I have read many complaints here regarding the "insiders" getting all of the Super Bowl festivities/event tickets, I thought this would put some of you "ahead of the curve", so to speak:-)

(Message edited by Audible_nectar on December 13, 2005)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.