Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Homeless Shelters Debacle « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5221
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Story in the Freep on-line about two City of Detroit homeless shelters opening for the winter.

Puzzled a bit by this, though:

quote:

...and Community & Educational Services, 16151 James Couzens. To stay at the Community & Educational Services shelter, residents need to first sign up at the Neighborhood Service Organization on Mack and Third.

Did a Mapquest to see this distance...and had a little trouble.

Seems Mack was renamed a good number of years ago to Martin Luther King Boulevard.

Does ANYBODY fact check this stuff before they publish it?!

NOW, I did another MapQuest and learned that this distance is nearly EIGHT MILES!

WHAT THE FUCK, CITY OF DETROIT?!

DO YOU THINK ALL THE HOMELESS HAVE NOTHING TO DO BUT WALK 3/5RDS OF A MARATHON JUST TO GET TO A WARM BED FOR THE NIGHT?!

Must be someone's idea of a really bad joke.

Please tell me this is a joke.

Fuck, Kwame couldn't even walk that far.

Gannon

Post Number: 5222
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plus,

Can ten people tell me what and where the James Couzens Freeway is in this town?!

Gannon

Post Number: 5223
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Couldn't find a way to contact anyone except a few people at the top of the heap, so I'm sure the group publisher is going to love seeing this in his inbox.

Wonder if anything can happen with this.

Mr. Hunke,

Please forgive this intrusion into your busy day.

I am just pissed about a story that ran on today’s on-line edition of the Freep about homeless shelters…containing not only a few errors, but no analysis or explanation that might help regular citizens aid someone in need.

Here is the link to the story… http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20051209/NEW S11/51209008 .

I tried to simply find a way to correct this without bothering the man at the top…but was unable to find not only an easy way to contact either the website manager OR even to simply submit a news lead.

You guys ARE still in the news business, aren’t you?!

Just to make things interesting, I posted a thread on the www.DetroitYES.com community blog about it…and will keep an eye out for any correction.

Again, here is a link for your ease in locating it… https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/10041/61456.html?1134167 872

Cheers, especially AFTER this story gets corrected and someone is sent out to investigate WHY the City thinks the Homeless can travel nearly sixteen miles just to find a warm bed for the night.

Sincerely,
John J. Gannon

Gannon

Post Number: 5224
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez,

In the time I posted this and wrote the letter, it seems there now IS an Editorial Contact Information link on their 'Contact Us' page.

And oddly, now I cannot find how I even found this Mr. Hunke's contact info.

Weird day, this.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 99
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, gannon, if i didn't know any better, i'd say you were talking to yourself :-) yes, i agree it is ridiculous to make a homeless person travel great distances to "register" for shelter at the opposite end of town. also. I was always under impression that Mack turned into Myrtle (MLK Blvd) west of Woodward. I use that short cut all the time from mich/livernois to midtown.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 738
Posted From: 66.89.12.30
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Homeless' encompasses a lot of people, including some with cars, some who have jobs, and even adults with children in tow.

Gannon

Post Number: 5225
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So there is a bias against those without means to travel, still.

Simply a stupid policy...needs to be re-visited.

Gannon

Post Number: 5226
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billy,

I was beside myself with this...I don't get angry often, so I don't handle it well.

This just pissed me off in about eighteen different ways. It took a few deep breaths during a discussion with a friend to break it's momentum.

Ar-g-g-h, doesn't ANYONE think in this town?!

I mean, besides us and the folks on HotFudge?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 739
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is 2004's notice, couldn't find one for this year
(people without transport could get picked up in 2004, perhaps still can)

considering budget issues it's a little surprising this hasn't been turned over to churches or volunteer organizations, though perhaps those groups have their own programs going

quote:

DETROIT DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN SERVICES PROVIDES WINTERTIME WARMING SHELTERS FOR HOMELESS IN DETROIT

As freezing wintertime temperatures have hit the area, the City of Detroit continues to operate three facilities to serve as shelters for the homeless from 7 p.m. until the next morning at 7 a.m., through March 31, 2004, including holidays. If temperatures drop to the teens and below, services for that day will be extended.

The Detroit Department of Human Services is once again collaborating with other City and human service agencies to coordinate the wintertime Warming Shelter Program.

Individuals must first go to the Stone Pool Recreation Facility, located at 4595 Fourth Street, at the corner of the Lodge Freeway and Forest, which will serve as the intake center. The intake process starts in the evening. Upon completion of the intake process, clients are assigned and transported to one of the following three warming facilities, where they are served a hot meal and given sleeping accommodations. They are returned to Stone Pool the next morning.

Cass Community Center
11850 Woodrow Wilson

Operation Get Down
10100 Harper

Community & Educational Services
4801 Oakman Boulevard

This program is designed to provide the homeless temporary relief from the cold during the winter. In addition, clients are encouraged to take advantage of other support services such as referrals, housing assistance, health screening, and other related services.

The Detroit Department of Human Services, with a budget of $518,947, has contracted with Operation Get Down, Cass Community Center, and Community and Educational Services to provide these temporary shelters.

The clients usually arrive on foot at the Stone Pool facility, but some are picked up off the street, and others are referred and transported for services. Upon entering the Warming Center, clients are supervised at all times to ensure the safety of all concerned. The Detroit Police Department provides security at all shelter facilities.

Once clients sign up for services, they can shower and receive a health screening and counseling. If it is determined that a client needs medical attention, EMS is called, and the client is transported to a medical facility.

For more information, call (313) 887-1029.

Gannon

Post Number: 5227
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, there ARE others thinking beyond our electrons...thanks Lilpup.

Big difference.

Now if they kept the police on guard through the budget cuts, I am very pleased with the City.

That was last year's notice, wonder what changed with this year.

There are definitely private programs...I can never forget the two homeless guys I met a dozen years ago who had both scalds and frostbite from sleeping on the steam covers...the agony they suffered just on the drive to Receiving was too much for me to handle.

William_x
Username: William_x

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 4.165.45.166
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon You are so right the NSO 24 hour walk-in shelter is located just south on third at Martin Luther King Drive.That's the problem now people who know nothing about Detroit,or live in Detroit do not know anything about Detroit. Mack Street begin east of Woodward,on the west Martin Luther King Dr is aka Myrtle Ave.

Kathy_tj
Username: Kathy_tj

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 69.246.120.154
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, thanks for the tip and corrections on the warming shelters but doesn't it seem odd emergency shelters are being built to help the homeless, but the real problem is we need low income housing units to help so of the homeless of the street. Yes, it is good news there are 2 new warming centers to help the homeless.

Gannon

Post Number: 5242
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we need to help people who have fallen through the cracks, and do whatever we can to both learn how and why they ended up on the street...then see if they are open to receive help getting out of their pits. If they are content to just stay wallowing there, there should be a place for them to exist...not just in every nook and cranny and overpass crevasse.

EVERYONE in a pit needs some sort of hand to guide or help them...even if it is just external encouragement. Our 'protestant work ethic founded' societal system is very backwards, loading guilt and punishment and other negatives onto the shoulders and backs of those on the bottom...making it even MORE difficult for those on the outside to get back in.

Housing can only be credited to those who deserve it. I cannot fathom a system that would allow housing allowance to someone who refuses to identify themselves or refuses to re-engage with the system...but shelter should be available to all.

Just NOT after a sixteen mile walk...

(no WAY we can assume any of these folks have any sort of access to transportation, no matter how many quarters we dish out for the bus)

I am all for able-bodied people working to the best of their abilities to support themselves, that should be one of the foundational goals of the system. Not sure if there should be a time limit on it, though, that encourages even those who are able to ride the free money until it runs out...that is a part of mere human nature. Give and give, and I'll take until I need to find another way to survive.

Kevdog
Username: Kevdog

Post Number: 148
Posted From: 69.215.245.4
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure NSO is no longer 24 hours--just daytime hours, due to budget cuts.

Kathy_tj
Username: Kathy_tj

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 69.246.120.154
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am shocked by the number of homeless in Detroit, approx 15,000 at any time give. (Bureau of Statistics). I'm in total agreement only those individuals who show promise and the ability to maintain a home should receive on. Many people are one or two paychecks away from being homeless, therefore our able government should be looking into long term solutions to help end homelessness rather than short term solutions. The sad part of homelessness are the children! It is even more tragic that 40% of children in Detroit live in poverty including the homeless children.

William_x

Post Number: 76
Posted From: 4.165.105.228
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sir The 24 hour walk-in shelter is operating in full swing again.Some of you posters is to damn much for yourself.Do you think that anyone in their right mind would post false information? Kevdog? Homeless and cold weather is nothing to joke or give mis-information out.Kathy the Neighborhood Service Organization gets operation funds from the City of Detroit.The 24 hour walk in is included in the fundings.Plus there is outside contributions that goes direct to the 24 walk in on Third at Martin Luther King Dr.Such as churches from outside of Detroit bring Food,Clothing,and other items direct to the NSO 24 hour walk-in.Kathy the walk in center is one place you will never forget if you ever visited the center.I was a intake worker there for 3 years,and its sad to see people who work or get SSI live there or sit in them chairs day in and day out.The NSO walk in will be open all winter long,and will offer rotation shelter service all winter long. To the mis-informing poster different screen name,but the same bs? A person can always change screen names but never the typing style.

William_x

Post Number: 77
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy_tj here is the website to the NSO. www.nso-mi.org

Jmy8
Username: Jmy8

Post Number: 2589
Posted From: 12.75.30.143
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

To the mis-informing poster different screen name,but the same bs? A person can always change screen names but never the typing style.

Why must Detroit activism and paranoia so often go hand in hand?

Kevdog has been around a little while, now, william_x and you'd do well to follow his example of not being an asshole.

He wasn't trying to misinform anyone, for whatever end that might have been; he was mistaken and all you needed to do was make a clarification without the accusations.

William_x

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't care about Kevdog's personal life,and why are you speaking up against me expressing my opinions? I am just saying what I know from first hand experience and information.Jmy8 you should try that sometime before playing a defense Lawyer.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4554
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who said anything about his personal life?

Jmy8
Username: Jmy8

Post Number: 2590
Posted From: 12.75.51.67
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

To the mis-informing poster different screen name,but the same bs? A person can always change screen names but never the typing style.

quote:

I don't care about Kevdog's personal life

Yes, you obviously do.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1342
Posted From: 69.212.34.113
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon:

For some reason, the response to your letter got directed to my email in-box. I thought I'd post it here for everyone to see.

###

Dear Mr. Gannon:

First off, I have to apologize for the factual errors that appeared in the article you referred to. We were forced to outsource our research staff to India in order to remain competitive and some things simply slip through.

I did, however, speak with Mayor Kilpatrick and asked him about the 16 mile commute for homeless people to get a warm bed for the night. "It's about time that homeless folks start living up to their name," he explained.

I hope this clears things up for you.

Sincerely,
DAVID HUNKE
President and Publisher
Detroit Free Press

William_x

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 4.165.105.51
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the aram who give a damn about you? Again you seem to be a big mouth on the internet,and I am just wondering are you that bad or just hot air in reality? On here none of us will never know about each other only the internet front I guess. On here you can be anybody or anything you wannabe.In closing its sad when a few whites always get together to start shit on the internet,and then when race become involved they always want to moan and groan and complain.Lord these people think others is to stupid to notice a sham.Gannon you seem to be a person with good senses...what you think about the mistake of e-mail? All others stay on the topic.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1345
Posted From: 69.219.103.157
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

William_x:
It's time for you to switch to decaf.

William_x

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that so Fnemecek? What about these other cyber drunks? oOr are they dopeheads? I have discovered that there is a few on here with good senses and respect. Well one day my kind behavior will change on some of you pain in the rearend,and I to can be very very dis respectful and prejudiced towards those who dis respect me. So Lowell good things don't go on forever especially here in cyber space.

(Message edited by William_X on December 11, 2005)

Gannon

Post Number: 5245
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Fnemecek, I needed that in the midst of this shit-storm.

Can you guys all just take a l-o-n-g, deep breath and hold it for a few minutes?! It's WAY too hot in here for me.

William_x, I'm very certain that Fnemecek is pulling our collective legs. That happens around here occasionally, and after some time you will get to know each of our sense of humor and pinpoint accuracy in timing...or in my case lame obtuse attempts at humor from another dimension.

F is always on top of things, and again he has chosen humor to help turn down the temperature.

LOL, it is all good. OK, breathe out now. Relax.

William_x

Post Number: 86
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh okay Gannon since you said so lol.However I will try my best to be and stay on my best behavior Gannon. Thanks again for making me aware again.

Gannon

Post Number: 5247
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheers!

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheers, William_x!

Sometimes we use the Forum as a place to rant.

Most times it's to exchange info and opinions.

Other times we just want to have fun. My apologies if the humor doesn't come off properly.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Thanks Fnemecek, I needed that in the midst of this shit-storm.

You're welcome.

Once upon a time, I worked for the City of Detroit. You wouldn't believe the kind of memos that sent around with the late Mayor Young's signature on them. Luckily for me, he never saw any of them. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.