Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » ::: Detroit Lions ::: » Boycott Lions Last Home Game « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1346
Posted From: 69.212.210.246
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not show the Lions organization how displeased people are with the lions by boycotting the last game. Are lions fans capable of sacrificing the cost of one ticket to really show how unhappy they are with the team?

The planned demonstration with "Fire Millen" T-shirts still puts thousands of fans back in the stands, spending money in the stadium that goes towards the Lions organization. Hurt the organization financially and embarrass them on national TV with thousands of empty seats and maybe they'll do something to improve the team.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9567
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally don't think its Millen's fault.

Restoretheroar
Username: Restoretheroar

Post Number: 638
Posted From: 68.42.216.192
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the tickets are paid for, and you really wont get enough people to do a mass boycott. the bengals are a great, exciting team. A more realistic means of protest will be to participate in the "Orange out" that is organized at firemillen.com. Since people will go, everybody wear orange. 1. it stands out as a very bold color, and 2. its the bengals color. with firemillen! chants already THIS week at the Wings/Devils, UofM bball, UofM hockey, Wings/Capitals in DC!, and MSU mens bball game, next Sunday is going to be quite a spectacle.

Royce

Post Number: 1347
Posted From: 70.227.217.248
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If wearing orange is a part of the boycott, then this is the dumbest form of boycott imagined. When the national TV audience sees this, all that they are going to think is, "Wow, the Bengals fans really came out for this game." And if they know geography, they know that Cincinnati is less than a six hour drive from Detroit. It is quite conceivable that a large throng of Bengals fans would be at the game. Therefore, the TV audience won't know that thousands of Lions fans are in disguise.

If Lions fans are going to the game to see the vastly improved Bengals team, as Restoretheroar has suggested, then Lions fans deserve what they get with the Lions. I can hear fans attending the game saying, "Oh, we know the Lions are bad but I want to see how well Carson Palmer plays."

If this is the mentality of the majority of Lions fans, then I understand why the Lions organization feels no pressure to put a decent team on the field. They know the Lions fan is more interested in the "stars" on the opposing team than who's on the home team. With a formula like this, why would the Lions organization want to do better?

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 2742
Posted From: 216.196.179.236
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get real Royce. I've cheered for the Lions in desperation for 38 years and Lion ownership has done nothing to produce a winner. Giving their incompetent GM a five-year contract extension before this season started was the last straw for me.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. The Lions are the worst organization in the NFL, with the exception of perhaps the Arizona Cardinals.

Royce

Post Number: 1348
Posted From: 70.227.217.248
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, Czar do you still go to the games? If you do, then you have only contributed to the problem. If you don't then it is up to all who keep showing up for home games to take a stand and say enough is enough.

The most effective way to get a message across is to affect someone's wallet. All this loyalty crap needs to stop after this season. Demand excellence and you will get it. Accept mediocrity and that's what you will get. It's that simple.

Czar

Post Number: 2743
Posted From: 216.196.179.236
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't attended a Lions game since I was in high school. My disgust with the Fords goes way back. I cheer in absentia.

Restoretheroar

Post Number: 639
Posted From: 68.42.216.192
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce- you dont get it- the whole place is sold out with a waiting list for season tickets. The money has been made for the Fords. You cant realistically think that 65000 people wont show up for a game they have paid for. Im sure a good number wont out of principle, but since a vast majority will be there, why not make a visual spectacle.

Royce

Post Number: 1356
Posted From: 64.148.226.49
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wear T-shirts that say "Fire Millen" not orange shirts that look like the visiting team. Also, yes, the tickets have been paid for, but you mean to tell me that season ticket holders can't give up one damn home game in a more meaniful protest than wearing the visitors colors? Will these orange T-shirts say "Fire Millen?" If they do, then it's a half-ass protest but better than just wearing orange T-shirts.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1383
Posted From: 150.198.150.245
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I already paid for my tickets so I will be there. Also I don't want to miss Chad Johnson's TD celebration.

Sfdet
Username: Sfdet

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 69.109.200.94
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why not wear orange t-shirts that say 'keep millen'?

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 884
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Czar.....At least the Cardinals have the decency to relocate every couple of decades.

I've got a bad feeling about this game.

Czar

Post Number: 2748
Posted From: 129.137.210.37
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It might not be as bad as you think. They will definitely lose but Cincinnati's defense is suspect, if the Lions can't get anything going offensively this week, well...

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1468
Posted From: 68.84.183.189
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thought is to join in on the WDFN march this Sunday...

http://www.wdfn.com/lions_bill board.html

Czar

Post Number: 2752
Posted From: 216.196.130.75
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was watching the Red Wings last night (road game at Atlanta) and when a camera shot showed a player in the penalty box, someone seated behind the glass held up a "Fire Millen" sign.

F'ing hilarious.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 356
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fire Millen signs:

Detroit Lions: check
Detroit Red Wings: check
Detroit Pistons: tonight, I'm sure
Michigan St. Spartans: ?
Michigan Wolverines: ?
other colleges and universities: ?

Restoretheroar

Post Number: 641
Posted From: 192.193.221.149
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

both the UM hockey and basketball games had the chant, as did the MSU bball game Saturday at the Palace. Check.

Genesyxx

Post Number: 362
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that just leaves the Pistons. Pass the word on! We'll revolt all over the state!

Genesyxx

Post Number: 365
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ahh... sweet music.
From Yahoo Sports
The crowd began to chant "Fire Millen", referring to embattled Detroit Lions president Matt Millen, as the Pistons pulled away in the fourth. The chant has also been heard at recent Red Wings and University of Michigan games. ...

Rusty
Username: Rusty

Post Number: 365
Posted From: 71.194.127.158
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh, you gotta love this circus.......my Bengal friends from Ohio don't know what to think.

The fact that so many events have joined in on the fun is hilarious!

Almost as funny as the Mike Tice rumor.

Royce

Post Number: 1370
Posted From: 70.237.8.32
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, how was the protest inside Ford Field? Other than the announcers showing the protest outside, I didn't see a whole lot of camera shots showing angry fans. The child in the bag was the only major thing I saw.

What I did see were a whole lot of Lions fans with their jerseys on. Did they like the Lions performance? Did they get their money's worth? Could they have done something more constructive if they had not gone to the game?

Lions fans get the team they deserve. The most effective way to have shown the Lions organization that the fans want Millen fired was to stay away from Ford Field. The TV camera showing thousands of empty seats would have been extremely more effective than a five second shot showing fans protesting outside of the stadium. The fans missed a golden opportunity to really show their frustration. However, I guess fans aren't too upset about the Lions, since they showed up any way.

The Lions organization made tons of money today despite the Lions sorry performance. Based on this, why would they feel any pressure to put out a better team? Until the fans realize that the way to hurt the Lions organization is through the pocket book, it will have no incentive to suit up a better team. Period.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1478
Posted From: 68.84.183.189
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the report on the Angry Man march? Any news??

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 134
Posted From: 69.221.32.98
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the angry Fan March was great...my hubby was all in the papers! we had a great time!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2065
Posted From: 66.167.59.58
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched the TV footage and was impressed by the numbers who took part in a winter demonstartion. [However with so many pressing social issues facing Michigan and a floundering war in Iraq the question of priorities briefly crossed my mind.] Nonetheless, it was amusing to watch and the TV coverage did show inside protest, especially when the Bengals made their seemingly countless scores, interceptions and more. BTW, I was happy to see Cincy finally make it back to the playoffs.

My instinct is that Millen would love to get fired and take his long contract into retirement, but the owner, whose fault this really is, won't bite that bullet.

This team has a lot of talent and with a couple of moves and the right coach, it could turn around abruptly and all would be well, Millen would be the comeback kid, yadda yadda, and we would be back to start with the the 9-7 years Wayne Fontes.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9608
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "Orange out" was way over rated. 1/2 of the orange you saw was Bengals fans. The chants were no where near what they were last game. Also funny is the fact that the Lions fans were cheering on Joey after they have boo'd him many times in the past. Lions fans are nothing more than confused and have little idea as to what they want. They cheer on players such sa Harrington, Roy Williams, and Charles Rogers through out the day, yet these are the players who are the very backbone of this team that Millen brought in. So which is it? What do they want? They want what all of us want, to see a winning team on the field.

Millen isn't going anywhere, neither will Harrington. I have a feeling that Millen himself may have called down to the sidelines and said "Put Harrington in now." In all honesty, he looked pretty damn sharp. What still baffles me is their last possession with 2 minutes or so remaining they run the ball? WTF is up with that? Now I realize being down like 50 points or whatever that you aren't going to come back. But why in the hell don't you use this time to run the 2 minute offense to try and right the ship and score another td? Personally, I think the coach didn't want to show that Harrington has more skills and was able to score two td's in his short playing time.

I hope to hell Millen flat out tells the coach that Harrington is the starter from here on out and gives the new offensive coach the freedom to make play calls like he did the last few games last season. Joey was clicking when he came in, so something needs to change to keep him in that zone.

Czar

Post Number: 2770
Posted From: 129.137.166.82
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think Harrington will be back. The players around him have no confidence in him. Fair or unfair, he'll be gone.

Sadly, Millen will be back because the Fords are too stupid to make a gutsy move. This team needs a QB, a veteran receiver, some depth on defense, and a totally revamped offensive line. In short, they are about two to three years away from being a wild-card team. It also doesn't help that the Bears, Vikings and Packers are all in better shape than they are.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1745
Posted From: 68.209.118.72
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

best quote. From Wojo's column in todays News.

quote:

"The Lions are a metaphor for all of southeastern Michigan," said fan Robert Dempster, whose company sold "Sack Millen -- Restore the Roar" T-shirts. "This is the beginning of a revolution. We need better leaders here, in all of our industries. People are tired of losing, in business and in football."

Perfect.

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 68.41.117.60
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a lot of this "fire Millen" stuff is just a way to get on tv...Do all these ppl really want millen out? a lot of them could really not care less and are just acheing for their 15 seconds of fame.

"Look...Thats me...see I told you!! I'm such a crzy mofo aren't I?" lol

anyway, I'm sure there are ppl like me, who genuinely want millen out, but don't have the the time to wast on silly things like holding up a cardboard sign; only to then be chased by security and put in the "cage"...I would much rather write a letter...You know what tho If I had some extra money and a few days to blow, I would prolly do it, so nevermind..lol

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 476
Posted From: 69.245.76.31
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Knock Knock! anybody there? No mo' Lions talk__ Am I'm the only one left__support yo' team__ U fake' fans__ 'don't be a front runner'

Trust me next year will be better!

Lions 35
Aint's 14

super d(motordetroit)

Evelethcdenver
Username: Evelethcdenver

Post Number: 75
Posted From: 209.180.254.19
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haven't Lions fans been saying that "next year will be better" for 50 years? I am still a huge Lions fan, but why start winning now? Hopefully they will be smart about their first round pick next year. Maybe they should do an online fan poll on draft day and get the fans perspective on who they should draft.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.