Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » The Concorde and Detroit (the plane) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3125
Posted From: 68.250.96.218
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently struck up a chat with a retired exec from British Airways. He was telling me how many in the company felt a need to expand the Concorde more into the United States since a whole new regional market could have been created. Didn’t the Concorde come to Detroit a few times? I believe the press made a real big deal out of it.

Many fussed about the loud sound of these grand planes. He stated that many auto executives flew on these planes and Detroit, with out large airport, could have easily been a great place for the Concorde. Anyone remember the Concorde coming to Detroit? Anyone ever fly in one?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2204
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember it was here at least a couple of times to fly charter flights. I think the only inland city it served on a scheduled basis was Dallas. Braniff leased a couple of Concordes and flew them sub-sonic to Washington Dulles where Air France or British Airways crews would fly the trans-Atlantic segment to Paris or London. The service never gained popularity though and they dropped the service after a year or two.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 2875
Posted From: 24.22.82.162
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The price to fly Concorde was prohibitive for everybody but the filthy rich. Even fantzy corporate travelers couldn't justify it.
The low-cost guys like Richard Branson and Freddie Laker kicked the Concorde's ass like it was a Piper Cub.

As long as you are reading it, MikeM give us your evaluation of what went wrong at MDW with that SWA accident.

There's a Concorde at the Boeing Flight Museum, Seattle.

jjaba

Patrick

Post Number: 3126
Posted From: 68.250.96.218
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sonic boom had to have been huge. I have no idea what a sonic boom sounds like, but it had to have been loud.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 526
Posted From: 205.188.116.201
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got to fly on the Concorde one time. It was pretty impressive. The leather seats were not very wide but offered much legroom and reclined A LOT. The food was excellent and ample. You could actually see Earth's curvature, and there were small displays which offered altitude and speed.
When the afterburners kicked in you it felt like someone kicked the plane from behind - very noticeable effect! The mood was jolly, free drinks, continuous eating, I felt special and privileged. A parallel universe...
Before boarding in NYC we were 'held' in a special area with a huge buffet, all types of reading material, and the ubiquitous drink tables...was really strange to leave Det in the AM and arrive in London 5 hrs later, in daylight no less.
They gave everyone a leather-bound diary and a business card holder. I noticed many folks didn't take them so I snagged a couple extras...discreetly of course.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 429
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimg,
Flew first class from Chicago to Manchester England. Your commments about the seats reclining and feeling like your living in parallel universe accurately describes my experience. My 747 limped along compared to the Concorde. Saw is take off from Paris and then a week or two later the accident occurred.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 537
Posted From: 66.2.149.220
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a link to a photo of the Concorde landing at Metro:

Concorde at DTW

While looking for it, I did find a photo of the first jet airliner to land at DTW, a Comet. Was this BOAC?

Comet at DTW

Jjaba

Post Number: 2877
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, you are dead on about the BOAC de Havilland Comet long range jetliner coming into Detroit. This was the first jet passenger transporation available.

The Comet 1 was built in 1949. It was set up for 36 seats. Later models were the 1A, 2, 3, 4, 4B, 4C. They went up to about 79 seats, 4 crew.

Sadly, the windows blew out of several models, causing crashes in 1952, 53, and 1954 and disintegration in the air. This was not good advertising. After four yrs. of testing by Comet, Boeing 707 and Douglas DC had grabbed market share from the British and it was over for them.
Crashes happened over Calcutta, Elba & Rome.

The de Havilland Ghost and the Rolls Royce Avon turbojets were mounted inside the wing root. This location made maintenance difficult.

About 90 Comets were in service, some into the 1980s, but not much in the USA markets.

jjaba, Old Willow Run passenger.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5114
Posted From: 209.216.150.127
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeM nailed it.

Brannif International Airways flew the Concorde in the USA from DFW to New York.

From what I read, many time the Concorde only had 10-15 passengers on board flying to NYC while their Boeings were routinely full, despite minimal price difference. The Concorde "only" flew at Mach .95 over the USA.

A little more info is here: http://www.braniffinternationa l.com/concorde.html

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 992
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I recall, our flying club out of Metro ( Nomads) had a trip several years ago where members flew to England from Detroit on the Concorde and returned on the QE2. Not a bad way to travel.
It was a popular attraction and sold out quickly. Nomads now owns and operates its own 727.

Jjaba

Post Number: 2883
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba dreamed of doing that trip which he thought would be available forever. It was sold by several travel companies. One way on Concorde, back by QE2. Now that jjaba might be able to afford it, the Concordes are up on stilts in museums. Sadly, he let that one slip away.

AIW speaks the truth as always. The Concorde was not very comfortable and passengers preferred the Boeings.

Did The Rock get to fly on the Concorde?

How's that 727 treating your group? How old is it?
Those planes were wonderful, but seldom seen anymore, unless you're traveling around some 3rd World place.

jjaba.

Aiw

Post Number: 5119
Posted From: 209.216.150.127
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or you're the Prime Minister of Canada....

http://internationalmetropolis .com/?p=47

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3275
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uhhhhh.....Isn't Canada "some 3rd World place"? Why the differentiation there AIW?

LOL

Mikem

Post Number: 2209
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised the Concorde could fly non-stop from here to Europe since it would have to fly sub-sonic until it reached the ocean, and it's very inefficient at sub-sonic speeds. I remember being in Miami having to wait for the Air France Paris flight to depart. The controllers would hold it at the gate until they could find an opening in the overhead traffic flow that would allow it to climb unrestricted to its cruise altitude. Once the opening arrived, the COncorde would start engines, taxi non-stop to the runway and blast off, while everyone waited. Apparently if it had more than a 10-15 minute delay reaching its cruise altitude, it would burn so much fuel that it would have to abort the flight and return to refuel.

Hey Rock, I flew with one of your captains a few weeks ago; he seems to think your plans of buying a 757 are remote at best. Any updates?

Jjaba

Post Number: 2887
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Without an Army because they are protected by the USA, Canada is spared 3rd world status. It takes that money and builds the great society. Imagine the USA if we'd stay home, mind our own business, and build our own country.
We all love our Canadian neighbors.

jjaba, 2nd generation Yankee Westsider.

The_rock

Post Number: 993
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never had a flight in the Concorde but did walk through one in Duxford England a few years ago. I was surprised how confining the cabin was. You can not stand up straight as you walk down the isle, but have to stoop.

The Nomads 727 is the second one they have owned since the Club was started in 1965 with a DC-7B. We have had the current 727 since 1993.

As Mikem indicates above, Nomads was somewhat in the market for purchasing a 757 and had a potential buyer for the 727, but I question if that is going to happen.I have heard nothing about this possible purchase since June. I guess the 757 is more fuel-efficient, but I frankly prefer our good old 727 with its business class seating configuration over tourist class in the 757.

Hey Mike, you've flown the 727 for NW on those charters. I think you should latch on as a Nomads pilot. There are some neat trips planned next year to Scandinavia, Japan, Italy, and Australia just to mention a few. We pay you a few bucks and you get a free trip for yourself and Ms. Wonderful.

Mikem

Post Number: 2210
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, flying Nomads to Italy and Austrailia sounds a heck of a lot better than flying the Avalanche to Dallas or the Spurs to Salt Lake City. Could you put in a good word in for me Rock? I haven't kept a logbook since 1998 - I better get to work.

Patrick

Post Number: 3127
Posted From: 64.148.230.165
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the future of supersonic passneger jets? From what I have read, there is a joint operation in between japan and France to develop a new super jet.

Aiw

Post Number: 5124
Posted From: 64.228.202.146
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What is the future of supersonic passneger jets?

Nothing. They are a part of aviation history. Widebody freighter are the wave of the future. Look no further than the A-380 and the Revamped 747.

Jjaba

Post Number: 2888
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caution ahead, MIKEM. Do you really want 100 The Rock's visiting the cockpit asking for you to go over their houses and wing tilt his daughter Buffy and the poodle?

Wow, Nomads buying a B757? That's long money.

Rock, who owned the current 727s before the NOMADS got them?

jjaba, they wouldn't take me.

The_rock

Post Number: 994
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that's something "unique" about the Nomad's flights. Other than at takeoffs and landings, the door to the cockpit is left open and we are allowed to leave our seats and go up to the entry way to the cockpit and "watch". Quite a view and fun to watch the pilots eat their sandwiches as they have the 727 on auto pilot and we look ahead at the clouds. What a view. Mikem is lucky!!

I believe, not 100% positive, the current 727 was purchased from Continental AirLines. I know that Nomads' first plane, the DC7B( which we bought from Eastern AirLines)has sat for over 30 years on a runway in St. Paul Minnesota, but was purchased a year or so ago by two individuals who had the plane flown to Florida and plan a complete restoration.

jjaba--Nomads is always looking for new members.We will consider your application although I have the right to argue that we have too many westsiders as it is.

The 17 day trip next June to Denmark, Norway and Sweden is a modest $6855 per person but the view from the cockpit by itself is worth the price of admission. Send me your deposit.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 410
Posted From: 69.14.27.204
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flights have resumed boys! and from a convenient location to boot!

cell phones off...

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 885
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is also a Concorde on display at Wright-Patterson Air Base by Dayton, OH....at least there was the last time I was there.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 639
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matt, Its been tried already.
WSU
Wash

CU

That looks like the Spirt of St. Louis.

Jjaba

Post Number: 2898
Posted From: 192.220.139.10
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice photomontage.
jjaba

Psip

Post Number: 647
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, those are not photomontages, they are actual photos.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 542
Posted From: 66.2.149.63
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you not familiar with Lindbergh's familial connections to Detroit:

Lucky Lindy and his ties to Detroit

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 411
Posted From: 69.14.27.204
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, mine is an actual photo.

All the contents of the photo came from one picture. There was no manipulation/cutting whatsoever.

It's just mindblowing that it used to take off and land there.

My little mind is blown. Yes, it is little.

Caquail
Username: Caquail

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 209.86.17.97
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually the Braniff/Air France/British Airways interchange was via Washington Dulles. Service lasted from Jan 1979 until May 1980. If you are interested in why you are unlikely to ever see another commercial supersonic transport, read the book Supersonic Airliner (Non)Sense by R.E.G. Davies.

Regards
C.A.Quail

The_rock

Post Number: 995
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker's reference to "Lucky Lindy" makes for very interesting reading. And as a bonus, you can click onto the right side of the article and read about another Detroit legend, the late Prophet Jones.
Jjaba and I remember him well.He preached on Linwood at the Oriole theatre.

Jeffrey_thomas
Username: Jeffrey_thomas

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when the concorde came to detroit, It did not break the sound barrier in the airspace around the city. But I remember it was loud and sounded quite different from a regular take off.

Mikem

Post Number: 2214
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There aren't many people lined up to see the Spirit. Maybe Lindy landed on Washington and stopped in for lunch at the Statler.

Psip

Post Number: 668
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to see this in the skys of Detroit again.
HFMGV
Autogyro
http://www.hfmgv.org/museum/heroes/inventors/34_278_2_detroit.asp

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 560
Posted From: 63.157.64.184
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a photo of the intrepid, autogyro pilot preparing for flight.

W.C. Fields, International House, 1933

The only film that I know of that has an Au-To... Gy-Ro as part of the plot. I feel lucky finding this one.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.