Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Crime in the MotorCity... Is anything sacred anymore? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 519
Posted From: 24.176.15.138
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Out of all the places to rob someone...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10 438346/

I need to buy a car with a manual transmission.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5276
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to stop carrying a purse...already have the manual trans.

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 425
Posted From: 69.212.227.66
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 2749
Posted From: 129.137.210.37
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's old hat, my aunt was robbed IN church on the west side years ago.

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1076
Posted From: 65.86.12.2
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've said this in the past - want to avoid getting your car stolen? Drive a manual. What's the current percentage of cars sold with manuals? 10%? Excuse me while I extrapolate, but with that it seems safe to say that only 10% of car stealers will be able to drive a manual. If you drive a manual and your car gets stolen, well you've got some bad luck huh? Don't bother playing the lottery.

Glad to hear that nothing worse happened to the victims.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 689
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are cars made with anything BUT manual transmissions?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9575
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is why I don't go to church.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 628
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, evangelicals will do anything to get your donations these days.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5277
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravitymachine,

There are riders, and there are drivers.

Glad to know another driver.

(Shut UP, Manrooter.)

Cheers!

William_x
Username: William_x

Post Number: 91
Posted From: 4.165.12.93
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am NOT trying to bust you posters bubbles,but Detroit isn't the only place in Michigan that have crime?,and I am sure that there is worse little cities in Michigan that's a well kept secret.I am not trying to be rude or dis-respectful,but I can't seem to understand why outsiders seem to always target Detroit,and pretend that carjacking,dope dealing,Rape,and other crimes only happen in Detroit.These things I just mentioned happens everywhere.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6199
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

These things I just mentioned happens everywhere.

We know that but this is a disuss Detroit forum. The topics are things that happen in Detroit or affect Detroit, good and bad.

I think that your assumption that very few on this board live in Detroit is incorrect. Many of us live in the city and almost everyone on here wants to see the city improve and flourish.

Machoken

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who said anything about crime only happening in Detroit?

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1284
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This is why I don't go to church."

lol at sport.

That's a well thought out worldview that you have there. Was philosophy your major?
:-)

"I can't seem to understand why outsiders seem to always target Detroit"

william_x - You may not have meant it this way, but just fyi, at least half of the previous posters live in the city. The other half I don't know about.

Without putting blinders on to the problems in the city, I agree that Detroit isn't the only city with problems. Perhaps it gets noticed more because it's just simply so much bigger than all the other cities and towns?

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 318
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

william-x also seems to be unaware that most of the reported car-jackings in the suburbs are eventually traced to the work of Detroit residents!

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 2737
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just ignore him.

Still, churches are sanctuaries, not outside of churches. The robbers have free reign until they reach the door. :-) j/k

Still, as much as I feel for the mom and her little girl, this is not the first time it happens, this will not be the last, and this is and will not be the only city. It sounds like your typical robbery to me.

Society has to come to grips with which direction it wants to use to cripple crime. Does it want to create a police state within the city, or does it want to address the very real problems that when one stacked on top of the other, helps lead people into a life of crime? When you have teenagers in this story, it's really too late to get to them.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1834
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport - I agree with you - It could become habit forming and then you just get robbed of your purse.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 378
Posted From: 194.138.39.55
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILD, If you're afraid to get your purse stolen, just do what Gannon did. Stop carrying it around with you. :p (psst... I just carry my cash in my bra-strap.)

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 432
Posted From: 69.245.76.200
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

REALITY CHECK FOLKS__ the eclipse of america's predominance in tha' world, the structural change of tha' american economy, and tha' moral breakdown of communities throughout america will continue to create and reinforce dependent mentalities which will only produce more cultural disorientation and devastation in america, particularly in poorer areas__and don't be surprised if the lauded ' white middle class' becomes more prone toward crimianlity, drugs, and alcohol due to these noted transformations in america's once puissant hegemony in domestic and world affairs.

Unfortunately, due to the on-going structual contraints by atavistic bureaucrates and the ubiquitism of sociological pathologies like, the science of slavery and jim crowism'__ the impact of this kind of economic crisis on ma' peeps(Blacks) will be immense.

super d(motordetroit)

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 520
Posted From: 24.176.15.138
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats the tricky part. Where to cut down on crime?

Police state?
Kick out residents with a history of crime?
Follow teens and adolesants, ask them about school, if they dont know what it is then kick them out of the city?
Follow around older people in their 20s-40s, if they do not have a job, are not in the process of finding a job. Kick them out of the city?

Or maybe we can provide a decent school system, lower taxes, more services, and some police control.

Tricky stuff running a city is.

Fuck it, lets just throw a mansion party.
Who wants a navigator!

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2740
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kick them out of the city? To where? You know that would never fly. That is what the prison system is set up for, to absorb who we define as criminals.

William_x

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan Are you telling the posters on here who don't agree with me to ignore me? This is just a concerned question,and was not asked to start no bullshit ok? (Southwestmap) william-x also seems to be unaware that most of the reported car-jackings in the suburbs are eventually traced to the work of Detroit residents! Southwest I have the rights to agree or dis-agree,but I can't see where Detroiters would waste their time and gas to do some damage in the suburbs,and I will always speak up for the inner-city people who the suburbs seem to always point fingers at. (Llyn) william_x - You may not have meant it this way, but just fyi, at least half of the previous posters live in the city. The other half I don't know about. Llyn I am only going by what I read on this posts,and I am not blind that I can't see what's going on. So I guess you're saying (SINCE) the majority of these posters live in Detroit tell me why are they bashing their own city? There is a few posters who I am convinced that they do live here in the inner-city,and I am not stupid to the internet posting game believe me,or is this another racist site where half agree and half don't?

Machoken

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dammit, who said anything about this crime being racial or unique to Detroit??? Damn trolls.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 690
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and the debate over mike's simple observation: "Out of all the places to rob someone... ",

....continues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4564
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have to wonder... did all the boys try to drive the car, find out they didn't know how to drive a stick after all, and then flee? somehow the idea of that makes me laugh.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 380
Posted From: 84.156.18.83
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my mind there was some sort of discussion between them who can drive a stick... then an argument ensues about why the other never learned. In the meantime, the lady and her daughter are trying to sneak away (because they are late for church), but are caught again, once these clowns realize they're still there.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2741
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

William X, yes, I was telling them to ignore you, and I don't feel like getting into an argument with you so this is all I'm going to say.

William_x

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan you don't see me arguing do you? let's get real,and believe me I am NOT on this forum for anyone to kiss my butt.However I am man enough to agree or dis agree,and just because I bit your ass (not agreeing) along with you don't mean that others have to be like you.This is a fact you know it and I know it.Lmichigan since you like to jawjack tell me this then.Why do people like you sign on to a site to argue? There's a differences between a debate and to argue.This is the internet regardless to if some of you want to bring the internet into the real world or think that cyberspace is real.I am sure that Lowell created DetroitYes for difference opinions,and not this childish bs.So Lmich I won't be going no where soon,and I suggest either you deal with not accepting what I post or you know you can sign off,and leave anytime you choose to do so.To Lowell if you feel that I am out of place you know my personal e-mail address,and pull my coat about anything.

The_aram

Post Number: 4566
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want the Forum to be your vision of a perfect internet utopia, start your own. Don't keep coming here to lecture us on how to be more like you and your conception of the internet. That seems to be the gist of a lot of your posts.

Northend

Post Number: 447
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...sounds like Karl's bottom guy...:-)

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 99
Posted From: 68.61.55.140
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie.

William_x

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the_aram you so damn bad make me leave,or shut the hell up.Your BS is starting to make me mad as hell.Because nobody have the rights to harrass anyone on here based on their opinions,and the arab believe me I will not be going nowhere.The_Aram how old are you? 7 or 8?

Northend

Post Number: 448
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will not be going nowhere, not even 7 or 8th grade to learn English! OK??!!?
Why you gots to be like dat??!

The_aram

Post Number: 4567
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So eloquent.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2744
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tru dat, bro, tru dat for reals, yo.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.