Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » The Party Bus is coming « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 79
Posted From: 206.81.45.34
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So an annual winter tradition at my wife's office is to charter a bus and go on a bar hopping tour of Downtown. We're coming this Friday so look out! Or, if you see us, come buy me a drink.

Here's the agenda:
7:30 Nemo's
8:30 Anchor Bar
9:30 Post
10:30 Centaur
11:30 Centre Street

My two questions are:

What's Centre Street like these days?
And I've never been to the Centaur, what's the story there?

Thanks.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 460
Posted From: 136.2.1.153
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Centaur is gorgeous on the inside. Dark Art Deco. I made the comment to a buddy of mine that it seems like something out of the Rocketeer. Two and a half storys - premium booze. Not a club, so the music isn't too loud, and there are plenty of places to lounge (lots of seating).

Centre Street on the other hand - Loud, Bad Techno, cheesy hip-hop. I do enjoy clubs from time to time, but I'd rather go to Envy. Also, unless you have arrangements, the cover at Centre Street is pretty high. Is the goal of the last location to go dancing?

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 531
Posted From: 198.109.32.15
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your first three bars are just your average Joe bars, but your las two are pretty snazzy type places. Centaur is across from the Town Pump and is one of the newest sophisticate hang outs and centre street LOUNGE is a "high class" and normally expensive club that might have a dress code so I would check before you go.
You guys are definitely doing the whole range of bars from hole in the wall to the metrosexual's paradise. Have fun!

Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharmaal, I don't think the planners of this trip are aware of the many changes that Centre Street has gone through. Is there still a putting green (orange), for example? That's why I had to ask here, because I haven't been myself in a while. I don't think we'll want to pay cover for a lame techno club.

But if it sucks, we can walk to Detroit Beer Co., or Coaches Corner, or the Hub...

Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We always start at Nemo's, and used to go from there to the Lindell AC...alas, no more...

Seems like starting cheap and going to more expensive bars later is counterintuitive to the way my wallet tends to operate...

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1296
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Centre Street was 100% club last time I went there in the spring. I don't know what they play on Friday, but it used to be house on Thursdays (Souldega music - good stuff) and Saturdays was standard top 40 dance mix.

It is nice, but you can probably do better.

I'm not sure what kind of crowd you have, but remember than Centaur and Town Pump are right there together. There is also the new Apt, which I think is shooting for a more mature crowd, playing jazz music.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong about Apt.)

Centaur is great. The interior design is gorgeous. It is a slightly swanky loung type place. I think there is a pool table upstairs but I can't remember.

If you have a bus, and will be driving from place to place (largely uncessessary if you ask me downtown), consider going up Woodward to the Alexandrine-Canfield stretch.

You've got Agave, Union Street, The Magestic and all its parts, indcluding a bowling alley, Beans and Bytes for the cofee lovers, CPOP might be open, and it isn't too far to the Bronx or Old Miami (if that is your thing).

I hope this helps; have fun.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 776
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time I was in CC there were about 10 people total, music was too loud and the sound was crap, made even good music sound bad. That place has gone way down hill.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6200
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this bus 'short'

:-)

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1286
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shouldn't this be in Detroit Connections?

llyn - muckraker!

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 461
Posted From: 136.2.1.153
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UDM - No putting green, it's not like that at all anymore. It's a club in the worst sense (like some of the places in Pontiac). If the goal is to go out dancing, try the Hub on Friday night. Great house music the elgendary Eddie Fowlkes (5 dollar cover).

I really wouldn't suggest Centre Street. Don't get the wrong idea about Centaur though, it's really nice but not pretentious. Detroit Beer Co. is always a safe bet!

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1297
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Last time I was in CC there were about 10 people total, music was too loud and the sound was crap, made even good music sound bad. That place has gone way down hill.

Toolbox,

What time were you there?

I remeber the last time I went, people didn't start showing up till 11:30-12.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 376
Posted From: 194.138.39.55
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how can you go out on a party bus and not make a stop at the Comet Bar or Harry's? I mean, come ON! 365 days a year of Christmas decorations at the Comet Bar, plus Kareoke? You can't beat that with a stick! And Harry's is always a blast.. and good food, too.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1833
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a real thrill go to THE WORKS at about 2:00 AM if you can stay awake that long. You will see things that will make your heads spin! Gay- STR8-and questionable is the crowd. Young and older but heavy dancing all night.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.