Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Photo Du Jour - December 14 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5132
Posted From: 209.216.150.127
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More politricks... PDJ

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 645
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love the pre '75 Ford F150 as the ramp! I bet that truck only has 60,000 clicks on it.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 2897
Posted From: 192.220.139.10
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get a new Ford ramp, Canada. Looks like 3rd world, eh.

Love the bilingul airplane, eh.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 7891
Posted From: 64.228.193.187
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least they don't have Martins name plastered all over it "American style".

Besides, we all know the Conservatives don't have a snowball's chance in hell to win a seat in Windsor. Why waste the time?

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 71
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because there is no airport in Essex!

Goat

Post Number: 7892
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least he didn't hang around like "greasy used car salesman" Layton getting his nuts rubbed by the unions. I guess you gotta go where your "peeps" are.

...watching a farce of an election with not 1, not 2, but 3 assholes vying for power!

Upinottawa

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Gilles?

Goat

Post Number: 7893
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He don't count...never has. lol

Upinottawa

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell the Liberals and the Conservatives that Gilles does not count. I think both Martin and Harper would like a shot at those 50+ seats that are safely BQ. :-)

Goat

Post Number: 7894
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know what I mean. Sadly, most of those seats would go Conservative (as they are both right of centre)but we know how well the Liberals have done in keeping the separatist movement down. (Obvious sarcasm)

I guess that's one way to win an election each time. Give away key seats to another party that has no hope of winning the leadership. What a pathetic party system we have. No wonder voting is going below 60% for the first time.

S_marshall
Username: S_marshall

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 72.138.72.51
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, on most issues (fiscal and social), the BQ is about as left-leaning as the NDP. My guess would be without the BQ, the Conservative Party would be much different in appearance (ie no Stephen Harper), and perhaps would split most of the seats in Quebec with the Liberals.

As for the CAW's Hargrove sticking it to Layton, I couldn't care - Buzz is a dolt, and the CAW local in Oshawa (and elsewhere) are saying to hell with Buzz, we're supporting the Dippers.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the greatest commonality between the Conservatives and the Bloc is a desire to decentralize the Canadian federation, i.e. give the provinces more authority viz-a-viz the federal government.

Without a substantial presence in Quebec, the Conservatives rely heavily on support from Western Canada (ultimately, this reflects how the new party was in fact a Reform-Alliance takeover of the PCs rather than a true merger of equals). Consequently, the Conservatives are fairly socially conservative in addition to being fiscally conservative (meaning the party has center-right spending priorities and of course this does not necessarily equate to being fiscally responsible).

The Bloc, on the other hand, reflects Quebec's socially liberal attitudes and seems to support both tax cuts and social spending. I would suspect the Bloc would not push substantial increases in military spending.

Conclusion: I am not sure that if the Bloc went away that the majority of Bloc voters would support the Conservative party as the party currently stands. However, with no Bloc (or a marginalized Bloc), former Bloc voters would likely join the Conservatives and work to “moderate” the Conservative’s stance on social issues and thus making the party more palatable to Quebeckers.

I still believe that for this process to happen, the Conservatives need a popular leader who is either from Quebec or has strong ties to Quebec, i.e. a Bernard Lord. The former being the better option for the Conservative Party.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5146
Posted From: 209.216.150.127
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed. Until a Eastern leader is apponited, the party has no hope.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, Windsor Airport could use a new ramp. However, no one can accuse the airport of not "buying American"!

Goat

Post Number: 7896
Posted From: 67.71.67.71
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...Which goes to show you that this country is in more of amess than we let on. I could really give two craps where the leader is born, but I do have to say. I am a little tired of the "Quebec connection"...tie to move and let those who CAN govern, govern. Regionalism is a killer!

Upinottawa

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regionalism certainly is a significant problem with the current political landscape in Canada. Our First Past the Post system works most effectively (i.e., produces the majority governments it is designed to produce) where there are two competitive broad-based parties with support across regional boundaries. The Reform and Bloc parties bled support from the PCs, in Quebec and the West, and effectively made the system into a one party-dominate system.

The Reform side has comeback to the Conservatives. Next, the Bloc/PCs-who-jumped-from-the-s inking-PC-ship-to-the-Liberals need to absorb into the Conservative Party to make that party a) more palatable to Ontario and Quebec, and b) more electable. Brian Mulroney was able to bring the West and Quebec together for the Conservatives in the 1980s, and another leader from Quebec would have the best chance to do this in the 2000s.

Of course, the reason the Conservatives need a Quebec leader is to give soft-nationalists in that province a reason not to vote for the Bloc. Only when this happens will the Bloc start to fade away.

Goat

Post Number: 7900
Posted From: 67.71.67.71
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fantastic post Upinottawa. I agree 100%, I just find it sickening that we "need" a Quebec PM in order to have a decent gov't.

As you can see, the west is quite alienated from Canada, Ontario is on it's own (I find to much power is concentrated in this province), Quebec wants it's own, and the Atlantic provinces cater to whoever will give them enough money (sucking the proverbial teat).

What a sad and disgraceful nation this has become...or is it a sign of the times? God help us all.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.