Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Winter Tax « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Putty_nose
Username: Putty_nose

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 12.75.50.12
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking at a recent City of Detroit property tax bill, I'm seeing an unexpected addition to my fees.

I made a partial payment in August and had a balance of $2.174.87 due next Jan 15. The new invoice lists that $2,174.87 as a "Summer Tax Balance" but there is a new line for a "Winter Millage/Tax" of $1,089.49 and an Admin Fee of $10.89.

A Google search brought up some mention that there's a new law that allows municipalities to collect school taxes early. I guess I can't do much if this is money that I'd be paying eventually anyway, but I predict that a lot of people will be plenty pissed off when they see this thing with a new assessment that nobody told them anything about.

I'm hoping that somebody here has some knowledge of the inside workings of the tax department. Is this just an advance on something I'd be paying anyway, or are they loading on new assessments?

Also, they listed my homestead exemption as zero. Do I have to reapply for that now? Did some computer glitch cause them to drop the exemption from the notice, or is this some attempt to fuck people by dropping their exemption and hoping they won't see that line?

I'd really appreciate some explanation here. I'd call the city but I know that they don't
answer the phone and they really have no interest in talking to the public.

Thanks in advance for any information or clarification this inquiry may yield.

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 466
Posted From: 69.212.227.66
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do you have the NEZ?
I ask b/c my bill is substantailly lower

Putty_nose

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 12.75.30.144
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, not in the NEZ.

Did you get the same thing, only lower? What did the Homestead Exemption line say? Were you aware of this, or was it a surprise to you also?

Northend

Post Number: 469
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Putty, my winter came in at $61....which is awfully low..

Northend

Post Number: 470
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my Winter Millage/Tax is $60 w/ a .60 admin fee

Putty_nose

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 12.75.31.37
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is sounding even more fishy now. I need to hear from some non-NEZ taxpayers.

Deegee
Username: Deegee

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 69.216.127.214
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i also received a much higher bill and principal residence exemption is showing as zero which is an error.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1142
Posted From: 70.227.207.200
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a non-NEZ person. Like those above I had a fee and interest charged on my summer taxes that was not listed on my summer bill. I paid the summer portion to the penny and am completely puzzled as to why I've been charged a penalty fee and interest for the summer and why the whole year's taxes are more than what the summer tax bill stated I'd have to pay for the year.

I was on the phone for over an hour today and didn't get a live person. I'm going to have to go downtown to take care of this error. My errors amount to about $150. This city gets way too much of my money. I'm not going to give them any more because of their mistake.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 863
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 5:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The whole city should be NEZ zone.

What happens when the NEZ designation expires? Everyone clears out again?

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 492
Posted From: 198.109.44.2
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmmmm, is that what those letters we received in the mail about . Ooops..let me go get my garbage. LOL

Putty_nose

Post Number: 34
Posted From: 12.75.53.166
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Letter? What letter? If you mean that promo-piece from the mayor's office then, yes, it went in the trash.

I don't think they bothered telling people about this, there's nothing on the website as fara s I can tell, and I expect a lot of pissed off people will be appearing at CAY for an explanation. I'll be one of them.

Northend

Post Number: 481
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I read somewhere that the summer an winter bills would now be a single aggregate payment ilo two separate ones. I wonder if our tax bills are starting to reflect that. Has anyone heard anything along those lines?

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 325
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this quote from an article about Granholm changes to tax collection to aid local budgets:

"county property taxes now paid in December would be gradually changed to payment in July starting in 2005. In July 2005, taxpayers would pay one-third of their bill then and the remaining two-thirds in December. In July 2006, they would pay two-thirds of their bill and the remaining one-third in December. In July 2007, the whole bill would be paid in July."

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 408
Posted From: 136.2.1.103
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mailed mine to my mortgage company. Probably should have read it more thouroughly, but my tax balance was less than my escrow account so I didn't really worry about it. My homestead exemption part didn't say anything, but it also didn't say .000 so I also assumed that was fine after reading the back.

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Putty_nose I received a bill like yours as well. I sent in a half of the payment in August and now the City is saying that I owe over $3,000. I heard on the radio that the city was collecting Wayne County taxes, so if this is true, I am being overcharged (1,000) for my county taxes. Which states on my February Tax Bill, county taxes were $789.00. Don't know what's going on, but I will try to call after the holiday. Can't deal with this and DTE right now.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.