Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Tigers screw up already? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 364
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This early in the season? Afraid so, according to the story:
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20051215/SPO RTS02/512150488

Granted, it's Drew Sharp talking but still... how can you pass on Josh Beckett? I mean, come on, who overlooks a estate sale?

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 12.159.32.66
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the only way you pass on josh beckett is if you feel justin verlander is going to be as good or better. it's a strange gamble, but we haven't REALLY seen verlander yet....

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9582
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drew Sharp...wasn't he the guy that said the Pistons were going to be embarassed by LA in the finals a few years ago?

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 581
Posted From: 69.47.170.119
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's good to have some confidence in your farm system even though it may be a little bare. Otherwise what the hell is the point in having three minor league teams? Didn't the whitecaps win the minor leauge championship? Also a report I read a couple weeks ago said there are a handful of hot prospects down there. As always with the Tigers we shall see...

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 394
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharp does make a good point. A starting rotation of Bonderman, Beckett and Rogers would be one huge step up for them.

Rusty
Username: Rusty

Post Number: 362
Posted From: 71.194.127.158
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Verlander is the number one prospect in baseball and Zumaya is in the top 10. Include Granderson, Tata, Sanchez, Sleeth, Maybin, Whelan, Clevlen and a few others and you have a good farm system. When was the last time the Tigers could say that?

Also, DD realizes they are not one pitcher away from a championship. In order for the Tigers to be consistent winners for years to come (ala Pistons), he needs a wave of good young players to step up and take over positions at the same time. This is the plan that he followed in both Montreal and Florida.....the results speak for themselves. Granderson and Verlander are probably the two most important Tigers to watch in 06.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1144
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was Verlander and Granderson. That is way to much for Tigers to waste at this point.

Rusty

Post Number: 363
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharp is nothing but a cynic......knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Either that or he's just playing the odds. Most leagues have 30 or so teams so your city's chance in winning a title each year is about 1/30.........So if I just harp on the negatives of each Detroit team, I can spout that my ideas/articles are right a majority of the time. The National media love this guy because he's a local who will pile on when somethings wrong with a Detroit sports team.

I may be in the minority but I've never enjoyed this guys articles. To easy to predict what he's going to write about. Always singin the same old tune.

Dmb
Username: Dmb

Post Number: 173
Posted From: 68.61.245.34
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Passing on Beckett was the best thing the Tigers have done all season. The Tigers are not in contention right now to win anything, except maybee trying to be .500. They have no true leadoff hitter, no decent left-handed bats(and no Carlos Pena doesn't count until he hits well for more than 3 days at a time), and I think their bullpen is a bit suspect. So why would you trade away your #1 prospects for anyone. If you felt that the Tigers were one player away then I could see making that move, but they still need a lot more help. Besides, I have a feeling that it they did this trade we would be punching ourselves in the future for it. Remember prospect John Smotlz for Doyle Alexander in 1987.

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 2756
Posted From: 129.137.196.85
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sharp is nothing but a cynic"

Growing up a Detroit sports fan will do that to you.

Chemak
Username: Chemak

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 130.101.48.82
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His implication of a Bonderman, Rogers, Beckett rotation is even more absured. If the Tigers would have gotten Beckett there's no way they would've spent an additional $16M on Rogers. I'm sure that Ilitch has Dombrowski on a budget.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1069
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rogers: solid pitcher, short term success almost a guarantee, cost: high.

Becket: very solid, would have to lock in for a long tenure, cost: very high

Verlander: could prove to be better than the other two, and he looks like a long-term choice for us.

Beckett is the best choice for a team that wants to win big somewhere in the 1-4 year range. I think that's us, but you can also win in the 1-4 year range and beyond with the scheme we have now. Get into the playoff race this year with Rogers providing stability, and get Verlander, not to mention Bondo and Maroth, valuable experience with high-pressure winning. After two years, we'll have to get a comparable replacement for Rogers, and hopefully by that time we'll be talking about topping off one of baseball's best staffs.

Rusty

Post Number: 364
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great point Chemak! The Tigers stated over and over they were in the market for ONE starting pitcher and ONE reliever. If you get Beckett, you now have one proven SP (when healthy) and the same ole question marks behind him (Sorry Bonderman, your still in this category). Total combined record of their staff would still be far below .500.

Huh, Mr. Sharp, have you thought about that?

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 567
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still don't like the fact that Beckett has so much arm trouble. It's tough to pay a guy a boatload of money and have to worry when he'll break down again.
The rotation and payroll won't look so hot if he's on the disabled list. Remember Higginson and Juan Gonzales?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.