Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Woodward coalition to push for new system « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 881
Posted From: 216.78.39.103
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20051224/NEW S05/512240312

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1381
Posted From: 68.255.247.4
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be cost efficient, at the very least a mass transit system along Woodward would have to go to Pontiac and not just up to the zoo in Royal Oak.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 43
Posted From: 68.60.133.115
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would most likely be the second phase. On the SEMCOG Website it says that that is the second phase. By the way, did they figure out which they are going to use for the Ann Arbor to Detroit corridor? Light Rail, Commuter Rail, Rapid Bus?

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 298
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A system like this would really change not just how we all get around, but where people live anwork, and would do wonders for the Woodward corridor. Look how the areas around I 696 have changed since it's completion.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 425
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They haven't decided yet. A decision will probably come in the spring.

http://www.annarbordetroitrapi dtransitstudy.com/

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 927
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow... this is really something if this happens. The only gripe I have with it.. is that if both of these corridors go in with mass transit, that will be great for the westside.. but the Eastside is in dire need for the development seen on the west side of the metro area. I really hope that more investment goes in on the Gratiot Corridor in the future the same way it has on Woodward. I think alot of this has to do with birmingham and royal oak's proximity to woodward, and the fact that Gratiot goes through eastpoint, roseville, clinton Township, and then Mt. Clemmons... all working class areas that value functionality as a necessity.

What would it take to revamp the Gratiot COrridor as well? It would be the main drag development that the Eastside so desperatly needs... I mean.. its great that Michigan Avenue is getting rebuilt, as well as Woodward, ... but the eastside needs development besides the riverfront... it needs a central corridor that is easy to get to and not only serves the city but the lower suburbs as well.

If the lower suburbs are served as well as the city, like proposed on woodward, it would do wonders to both areas, which are all parts of the greater metro area, no matter how procity any of us are... Since the development in the points are spilling over to the riverfront in the city, the Gratiot corridor must be considered as well for redevelopment to serve the east side of the metro area to make it a sustainable region of the greater city.

Has there been anything floating around for Gratiot Ave? I am currently not aware of anything... although im sure if woodward takes off like it has been, this will probably be looked at.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 68.60.133.115
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Gratiot Corridor is the third most important behind Woodward and Grand River. For the Gratiot Corridor it would go all the way to Mt.Clemens. Then in the future a Commuter Line would go from Mt.Clemens to Port Huron. As you can see I have done some studying on this. Any questions..... Just ask?
http://www.semcog.org/Products /pdfs/speedlinkfinalreport.pdf
http://www.semcog.org/Products /pdfs/transitplan10-01.pdf

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 918
Posted From: 70.145.43.248
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not really seeing any details on the http://www.woodwardavenue.org website about exactly what the group endorsed. Any links?

quote:

What would it take to revamp the Gratiot Corridor as well?

A successful example of working transit such as Woodward to work from. Start with the most important/populous corridors first and then work from there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.