Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Architectural salvage « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Freepy
Username: Freepy

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 24.46.59.120
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, having just visited over the weekend and having a day of touring homes to maybe buy, I notice a fair amount of missing mantels, grates, knobs, etc. I have seen a lot of comments here lamenting the activities of scavengers and salvagers. However, if somebody wanted to put a house back together with similar hardware, where would he go? Most cities have good old shops stuffed to the rafters with semi-usable stuff. You know, the thirty-foot pile of clawfoot tubs, the wall of glass knobs, the ornate windows...
Where does one go in Detroit to buy this stuff? Or is there so much of it that it grows on trees down by the river?

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1474
Posted From: 68.255.237.214
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/10041/61672.html?1135265 976

Freepy
Username: Freepy

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 24.46.59.120
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How did I miss this thread? Thanks, all.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 7948
Posted From: 64.228.65.21
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here...I find it pricey though.

http://www.materialsunlimited. com/

There was a thread on here not even a month old.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/10041/61672.html?1135265 976

Erobtheone
Username: Erobtheone

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 68.21.12.226
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you are in the chicago area go to architectural artifact. they were the ones who returned the lee plaza lion's heads. the condos with the remaining lion's heads are right around the corner from my house. beautiful condos and the lion's head adds a lot of character.

I can take pictures if you want them.

http://www.architecturalartifa cts.com/contact.htm

Erob
chicago by way of detroit

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5194
Posted From: 65.92.101.177
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey don't be too quick to give credit to Architectural Assifacts. They only "returned" the Lions once the FBI said they had too. I had a nice e-mail exchange with the owner at the time, baciscally he told be to piss off, and if Detroit cared, they wouldn't have let them been stolen in the first place.

If CaseyC is around he can chime in, I forwarded the e-mail too him, part of which he used in a "loose Lips" column many moons ago...

Erobtheone
Username: Erobtheone

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 68.21.12.226
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@Aiw:
got it - i was not sure of the history - i am glad that the FBI recovered the rest of the lions. i found the whole story fascinating, because i am a detroit native who love the architecture there and to find out the stolen lions were less than a block away from my current residence in chicago freaked me out.

Erob
chicago by way of detroit

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 7967
Posted From: 64.228.201.179
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do us a favour and take them back. :-) I'll help you. We will just use a sledghammer like what was done to the LP. If the owners of the condo's get upset we will just tell them that they should have guarded them better and they were ours to begin with.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.