Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Motor City Bowl « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 536
Posted From: 68.41.109.36
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone catch it live?

Was not at the actuall game, but I was around checking out the Christmas stuff and the rink. Good times. Way to go DETROIT!!!

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 113
Posted From: 69.212.46.167
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what was burning just north of Ford Field

Mike

Post Number: 537
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmm...

i got there late at around the start of the fourth. i did not see anything burning.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 114
Posted From: 69.212.46.167
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i went to fishbones around 5 pm and from the greektown parking structure we saw billowing black smoke streight down brush right where I-75 meets with it.

ANyone....?

Mike

Post Number: 538
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good thought, but I do not think that happened in the same time frame. but who knows, could be.

623kraw
Username: 623kraw

Post Number: 728
Posted From: 68.41.224.200
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard a car caught fire in a Comercia Park garage, igniting several other vehicles - thank God no one was hurt...

Dmb
Username: Dmb

Post Number: 176
Posted From: 69.246.55.57
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to my first Motor City Bowl yesterday and I must say that I had a great time. The crowd was much bigger than I would have ever expected and the game had some exciting plays. To be honest it was way better than the last few Lions games I have too. These guys can actually pass for more than 4 yards at a time.

Also, near the end of the 4th quarter there was a pretty loud "Fire Millen" chant going.

Mike

Post Number: 539
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there were over 50,000 people in attendence. much more than i thought there would be, there was also quite a nice energy around the downtown area.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 455
Posted From: 66.189.188.28
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy, that kid for Memphis sure can run, can't he? And congrads to the Zips for being in their first ever Division 1-A bowl game. And thanks for the crowd estimate, Mike. I was watching on ESPN, and was impressed with the number of people in attendance. I guess Memphis sold 10,000 tickets themselves.

Mike

Post Number: 542
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Memphis crowd was pretty cool. I bumped into a couple at Greektown later. For the most part they were impressed by the city. Many posistive things from many of them.

I am starting to think that the negative persona that the city has associated with it is actually a good thing. The general consenses that I was getting from many of the visitors was "oh, this city is not as bad as they make it out to be, its actually cool."

I like that the Motor City Bowl has the Div-1 teams that you never hear of, but it would be cooler to have major conference teams representing.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 294
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your right Mike. Low expectations are certainly helping Detroit. However, when I have traveled I have noticed most people, not only dont have any bad things to say about detroit, they just dont know anything about it, other than Pistons and Red Wings stuff.... The hatred comes from the rest of the region....Detroit needs to market itself nationally, because, other than in the media, the rest of the public seems to be pretty unbiased

Mike

Post Number: 543
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit needs to start at home. Detroit's problems are in the suburbs and the local media.

Too many jewels and experiances that Detroit offers that the suburbs cannot match.

To me the only thing the burbs' have over Detroit is shopping as far as a tourists standpoint.

Obvisouly Detroit needs to lower taxes, build qualtiy homes, raze many unsafe and condemed buildings, provide better city services. But all major cities have similar problems with crime and poverty. The suburbs is what is killing Detroit, not the nation.

Start at home first. Market Detroit to the suburbs, start a media offensive.

The suburbs have raped Detroit for long enough, and all this region has to show for it are abandoned Downtown buildings, and a new Downtown Big Beaver Road.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 297
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True. Nationally, Detroit doesnt seem to be too well known, and isnt the problem.

Suburbs need to change the views before anyone else can. It will be tough as the only things shown about Detroit to this region are government corruption, murder and crime, and sports highlights...

Detroitwonk
Username: Detroitwonk

Post Number: 72
Posted From: 68.41.207.52
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, I think its interesting Mike that your first sentence is that "Detroit needs to start at home", your second sentence is that "Detroit's problems are in the suburbs and the local media"...yet you claim that "obviously Detroit needs to lower taxes, build quality homes, raze many unsafe and condemed buildings, provide better city services..."

It sounds more to me that the problem isn't JUST the suburbs, but rather the problem is the entire region. The suburbs, the city...and more importantly the people living in both need to start working more WITH each other than pointing fingers AT each other.

The true solution to the problems here in SE MI is regional cooperation. We need the suburbs working in a concerted effort with the city and vice-versa. Enough name-calling, blame-games and petty black v. white. We need leaders who will lead...and we need citizens to give them the latitude to do it.

Detroitwonk
Username: Detroitwonk

Post Number: 73
Posted From: 68.41.207.52
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Luckily, there are folks like Jim Townsend, formerly of the Michigan Suburb Alliance and now the guy running the "Get in the Game" campaign out there trying to do just that...help change the way suburbanites look at the City through showing off the new gems in the downtown CBD.

(Message edited by detroitwonk on December 28, 2005)

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 372
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I made it back to the D for this game. Glad my boys won it. The game was too slow to start off with, but the crowd stayed hot; especially the Akron side. They had my Tiger fans outnumbered 4:1 and definately seemed like it. Memphis was too dull at first, but when the scoring struck it was all over. One TD after the other and D. Williams for 220+ yards. Great game!

Restoretheroar
Username: Restoretheroar

Post Number: 643
Posted From: 199.67.138.76
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First off, I agree that Detroit needs to market itself better during this game. It was the only bowl game of the day, and backed up to ESPN Monday Night Countdown- a ratings smash, so at least the end of the game probably drew great ratings. I was at the game so I didn't watch it, but after watching the Alamo Bowl, they did a great job of showing off San Antonio in clips and also many ads on TV from the S.A Tourism Bureau. This would have been a great opportunity for those "Get in the Game" ads to promote Detroit.

Also, looking at the Memphis message board at www.memphistigers.org - many were impressed and had a great time in Detroit - but their only complaint (shocker) is the attitude of the locals they ran into. They said many were nice and helpful, but so many put down Detroit even when the Memphis fans were enjoying themselves. This is the saddest part of all. Im guessing these people were at Hockeytown mingling with the brave souls that only know Detroit as I75/Woodward exit ; Hockeytown Cafe; Comerica Park; and Ford Field.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.