Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » W. Elizabeth and Park Ave. Developments « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2180
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the last few nights I have been out and about imagining the potential of this area revitalized and noticed that the building that sits on the NE corner of Montcalm and Park Ave. appears to be undergoing some kind of renovation. I saw a couple of guys working in there last night as well as several sets of scaffolding and lights on throughout the building. For reference puposes the building sits across the street from the Town Pump Tavern.

Also further down Park closer to GCP immediately behind the building undergoing renovation that is just to the rear of the Kales Building, I noticed what seems to have been at one time a small theater that I have never seen before. Directly across the street from that there is another smaller light blue building that seems as if it may be the smallest building in the downtown area that looks as if it has been in use relatively recently(this one is across the street directly behind the state theater).

I have no names for any of these structures but I would like to know if there are any stories about their histories, who owns them, and if there are any plans for them at all?

The Ilitches have got to be the most short sighted people when it comes to development. Just from standing on that corner of Park and Elizabeth I can see madd potential as you can easily see restaurants,residences, and other types of establishments that could possibly run from the large structure on Cass and Elizabeth(Loyal Order Of Moose), to Woodward running east/ west on W Liz, and N/S on Park from 75 to GCP.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 808
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ESPN is housing it's support staff in the building by the Town Pump.

The little blue building is a recording studio.

The theater you see is the Adams, the lobby is in the Fine Arts Building and the theater is accessed by walkway under/above the alley.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2183
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so the building at Montcalm and Park is not gonna be a permanent development...

Pitiful...

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 307
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That could be a great street connecting to GCP and only a block or so off Woodward, the Town Pump and Centaur seem to be doing well, maybe that will spur some development - since the Pump and Centaur don't do much food, maybe a restaurant would fit in.

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 137
Posted From: 68.252.71.233
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the bldg at the corner of park and montcalm is the old detroit police department academy. the place could be great, but needs alot of work. the owner let it rot while dpd was leasing it.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1247
Posted From: 208.54.15.129
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean Chuck Forbes? He is truly a slumlord.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.