Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » McGraw-Lonyo/Cecil area of Southwest Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jmarx
Username: Jmarx

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 69.81.180.215
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Curious if anyone here lives or is familiar with the McGraw-Lonyo/Cecil area of SW Detroit. Thinking of purchasing a property and am looking to find out first-hand about the area. (neighborhood stability, crime, etc...)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3611
Posted From: 207.74.111.30
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jmarx,

The McGraw-Lonyo/Cecil area of Southwest Detroit is quite a rough ghettohood, filled with Hamtramckesque wood frame homes. And rough up mom and pop businesses along Michigan Ave. The ghettohoods over there is a mixture of Arabs, Mexicans, Latinos, whites, and blacks. However there's a growing number of ethnic Arabs and Hispanics moving into that area

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 526
Posted From: 84.137.166.173
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 5:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Always positive huh danny. I work in the area and almost all of my coworkers live in that neighborhood. It does appear like hamtramck very much. Danny was right its becoming increasingly middleeastern. What is the price in that area?

Ganib_ganabs
Username: Ganib_ganabs

Post Number: 43
Posted From: 24.192.38.58
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the area has a lot of illeagal immigrants, and I always hear of horrible violent stories, but to me they aren't random acts of violence, but rather violence between people who know each other. Its a heavily drug infested neighborhood, but if you keep to your self no one bothers you.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3615
Posted From: 207.74.111.30
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nah,

The ethnic Arabs over in that Detroit ghettohood are mostly Yemenese families. They don't rough up the area or do any crime reports of any domestic violence. They are within the superstrong Islamic and Muslim cultures and they clash or quarrel with and non-Muslims. However, they will respect and non-Muslims folks who are moving into their area. The homes over there avarage between $40,000 to $120,000 depending on the value of the homes. The ethnic Iraqi, Yemenese and Lebanese Muslims are doing a excellent job keeping up the ghettohoods and they are countinuing to fill up that area until somebody else comes to claim it.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 41
Posted From: 68.248.15.192
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The area has good a good mix of people, housing stock turnover, retail.

Here are some places currently for sale in the neighborhood:

http://pub.realcomponline.com/ List/5/R/Z/31TS3GDA4JS5RZ.htm

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 429
Posted From: 68.61.98.175
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine had a huge apartment there a few years ago, astonishing. All wood and brick.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SW Detroit has its own web site, in case it wasn't listed before:

Inside Southwest

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 200
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have had that website bookmarked for a while http://www.insidesouthwest.com / its good website but it doesn`t get updated very often much of the news is old news

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1607
Posted From: 66.2.149.85
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prices in that area seem pretty good.
Generally, it's a safe area of the city, but one set of low-life neighbors can make your life a pain.
But's that's pretty much true anywhere. Asking folks what the block is like is a good research tool.
One other thing that you should know: The 4th and 3rd precincts have been merged, with no increase in the number of patrols...And a post on another thread suggested that our new "public safety mall" on Fort St. will actually not be a functioning precinct but an administrative center.
Southwest Detroit used to have THREE police precincts.
Now we have one dysfunctional one.
So a burglar alarm or a couple dogs would be a good investment.

Jmarx

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the insight...

To be honest, I was curious about the McGraw-Lonyo/Cecil area as I recently discovered that a house that was in the family for many years (sold it ~20yrs ago) is currently for sale. I suppose the nostalgic part of me wants to re-purchase the property, which is what motivated my original post -- although that is probably not too practical.

Anyway, thanks again for the info. And as a side, if anyone happens to have some neighborhood pictures, please send them my way.... I’ll also have to check out that InsideSouthwest.com website too...

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 1920
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a recent thread Sanger Street in Detroit about a neighborhood just north of that one which had a similar demographic history.

Originally scots-irish lower middle/working class, in the post war era it filled-up with immigrant and first generation working class eastern european ethnic Catholic homeowners (imagine little old babas in their basmas (pick yer language, probably half a dozen might have been represented in those blocks) rinsing their front stoops every morning) not sure who were the landlords back then. Starting in the late 60's first generation Syrian/Lebanese began quietly buying up property here and there and renting it to immigrants fresh from the old countries. In the mid-seventies appalachain whites (generally immigrant/first generation Detroiters from the Lower Cass corridor, Woodbridge, St. Annes, Hubbard-Richard, Corktown, Briggs ... and some directly off the bus up from KY, TN, WV, & OH) began to move into those neighborhoods in large numbers. Figure either the property owners must have been reluctant to sell or rent to working class blacks (who were higher up on the economic ladder but anyway ...) or working class blacks prefered the nicer neighborhoods up GR or Joy or Plymouth, whatever .... Anyway these newer residents were younger, poorer and had different priorities when it came to maintaining their property cw the existing demographic. By the late 80's working poor blacks in significant numbers and some hispanics began moving into these neighborhoods. imo Danny pegs the more recent neighborhood demographics accurately.

Yay Detroit!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 2929
Posted From: 192.220.139.20
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Echoing Hamtramck makes sense for the Southwest side. There were thousands of Polish in the neighborhod for generations. Michigan Ave., Fort Street, W. Warren, Livernois, were filled with Polish churches, stores, and families.
Many remain today, but also many have gone suburban in this generation.

You'll find good old Westside Poles even in Brighton by now kibitzing in Polish down along the creek in the park out there.
jjaba, sociologist.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 2461
Posted From: 69.212.26.75
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jjaba, not just Poles. Ukranians, Magyars(Hungarians), Slovacs, Armenians, Maltese, Syrian. Lebanese as well as others including a small Jewish population (there is a small former Synagogue just off Michigan) inhabited and impacted that area.

Add to that the above mentioned groups.

Damn, I miss the Kielbasa and lunchmeats made in those small stores. Perfect with the bread made in those bakeries that dotted the neighborhood....ummm, crusty with delicious flavor.

Swpablo
Username: Swpablo

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 68.255.247.80
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live on central, couple blocks north of McGraw. I bought my house in late '97. I have never been broken into, never been robbed, never had any problems. i am definately lucky because bad stuff does happen around here, but honestly, i love my neighborhood, i dont care what anyone says. I have white, black, mexican and arabic neighbors. Mexicans are becoming the majority and bringing up the nieghborhood. I could go on and on about this area but im short on time.

-pablo

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 106
Posted From: 205.188.116.201
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SW Pablo, drop me an e-mail please...

Jmarx

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't blame you for loving that neighborhood, SW Pablo. The house we had was on Springwells just north of McGraw (just a couple blocks away from you if I remember correctly).

Glad to hear you're having a good experience there -- would love to hear more about the area if you get the chance. (and hopefully the "bad stuff" you refer too isn't too bad...)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.