Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » An I-375 question « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ganib_ganabs
Username: Ganib_ganabs

Post Number: 42
Posted From: 24.192.38.58
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 6:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What would be the positives and the negatives of closing this freeway, and at various places? For example, if it was turned into a surface street then Jefferson will become more pedestrian freindly. How needed is this freeway, even at its busiest? And would commuters be able to find alternative routes to drive, or use the commuter rail? Of course, if you got rid of the freeway and turned it into a surface street this would create more area for more density. I envision it turning into a major north-south corridor that would create a 6 lane road with a median some nice lot sizes for some midrise buildings like the Crane Building (except with the front of the building on the street and minus the sea of parking) and if this freeway is truley only busy during rush hour, I think the city would be better off with out it. Ok, I'm ready. Give it to me hard.... For the record, I am not drunk but I am fighting a stomach ache so I may not be as clear as usual, and I have not played Sim City in nearly 5 years... In my opinion, the area east of I-375 lacks vibrance, and tearing out the freeway could reconnect it to the rest of downtown.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1384
Posted From: 69.219.102.29
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that the area where I-375 exits and enters Jefferson should be eliminated to make that part of Jefferson(in front of U of D) more pedestrian friendly. I've imagined that the freeway would end at Lafayette in the manner that the Fisher ends at Gratiot. I do think the rest of the freeway should stay the way it is.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 307
Posted From: 70.229.47.130
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that is the easiest way to get out of downtown, especially after sporting events, seems most ppl dont travel down jefferson to find it.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 81
Posted From: 68.42.252.205
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think GM would go for this idea. Got to get them MBAs out of the fortress and back home to Troy and B'ham as quickly as possible.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 715
Posted From: 68.255.242.100
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, taj!

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 721
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was actually plans to lengthen 375 to end at the water by the Ren Cen, but Granholm's fix it first policy killed that idea.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 2923
Posted From: 192.220.139.20
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taj tells like it tis. The less time on the Eastside the better. Since 1950s, downtown workers have essentially put on the blinders to get downtown on expressways as fast as they can.

LA invented the idea of freeway access and it still is important today.
jjaba, the truth. LOL.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 92
Posted From: 24.231.201.120
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father has worked at the RenCen and said I-375 is actually not all that effecient, especially getting to the center. A parkway that first begins as on and off ramps at the 75 interchange and then a surface street that intersects with Jefferson would be far better. Granted, there wouldn't be the smooth entrance in the downtown, and may get somewhat congested with traffic. But his point was, access to the center's parking areas would be better, and people would slow down for once entering the city, not just blow past everything in site along Jefferson.

Not to mention, some good infill construction could go up in this area and link the Lafayette park area with the rest of the city.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 2925
Posted From: 192.220.139.20
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolverine, we love your handle.
Obviously, pride in Michigan.
jjaba.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 2903
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The same pride, in fact, as Western, Eastern, Central, Michigan State...:-)

I've always wondered what purpose 375 serves south of 94 besides the obvious of shuttling suburban office workers in and out of downtown more efficiently. The loop of downtown effectively cuts of downtown from any of the surrounding areas that used to be downtown (i.e. Lafayette Park before it was that, of course. Corktown, Brush Park, Cass Park/Farms...) It is easily one of the least needed freeways. I imagine it going to way of the one just north of downtown Milwaukee that was demolished not too long ago opening areas for development and connection. I just wonder where many of us can have our voices heard on this.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1696
Posted From: 4.229.9.112
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no difference between I-375 and the Lodge Fwy south of the Fisher Fwy. (except the Lodge goes under Cobo). One can hardly make a case for eliminating one without eliminating the other.

Lafayette Park, the area east of I-375 is hardly what I would call pedestrian friendly. Yes they have sidewalks, but that is about it. Only a little bit of retail exists in Lafayette Park, but it is more towards the eastern end (near the Dequindre Cut), away from I-375.

Lafayette Park is a drab collection of 1950's apartments and townhouses built by famous German architect Mies Van Der Rohe. Back in August when I took a bus full of 34 German tourists on a tour of Detroit, they were hardly impressed by Lafayette Park, but they loved downtown. One of the Germans mentioned that Lafayette Park reminded him of the drab concrete apartment buildings that sprouted all over Europe after WWII.

What is the point of taking out the freeway just to connect downtown with Lafayette Park? After all Lafayette Park is not exactly a night life enclave. It would make more sense to eliminate the Lodge south of Bagley, and re-connect Corktown with downtown.

I don't mean to bad mouth Lafayette Park, but every time I show it to out of towners, they are always less than impressed.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2907
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't have to like the architecture or layout. The fact that it is one of the most livable neighborhoods in the city overrides everything else. I'm sure the residents would like to be connected better to downtown, don't you think? It may even spur development within the neighborhood and between. Sounds like your dislike of the architecture is clouding your judgement.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2267
Posted From: 69.212.51.29
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, Lafayette Park used to have retail. The idea of building a parking lot in the area and adding dollar stores killed the neighborhood.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1698
Posted From: 4.229.9.112
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No it does not cloud my judgement. I just do see a benefit (except for Lafayette Park residents) for the removal of the freeway. Yeah they might gain an extra strip of land for development (what used to be Paradise Valley).

If you put all the freeway lanes and service drive lanes at street level, that would be 5 lanes in each direction. That would be quite a barrier for pedestrians to cross (think Hall Rd./M-59 in Macomb County, not a pedestrian friendly crossing).

I think that the other thread about covering the freeways and building on top of them makes more sense. Because then you would have extra blocks to build upon, but without the extra traffic.

And besides, we don't know what cost decommissioning part of an interstate will be. If Detroit were to tear down the People Mover, we would have to repay the federal government the $200 million or so they spent. That is a fact. We really don't know what decommissioning an interstate would be. And I doubt that the federal government would pay 1 penny towards this type of a change.

(Message edited by gistok on January 01, 2006)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2911
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, please read these articles about the demo of the Park East Freeway in Milwaukee. Much of the money used to demo the freeway was federal money. Regardless, the benefits of removing freeways from city centers has been proven time and time again, and I don't see why this is any different. Actually, I'd like to see the Fisher capped or removed downtown, and simply leave the Lodge of cap the rest of it.

1. http://www.newurbannews.com/Fr eewayRazeJul04.html

2. http://www.newurbannews.com/Fr eewayRazeJul04.html

3. http://www.mkedcd.org/parkeast /newsletters/ParkEastNews0302. pdf

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 564
Posted From: 69.215.76.206
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltorivia485 wrote:

"Gistok, Lafayette Park used to have retail. The idea of building a parking lot in the area and adding dollar stores killed the neighborhood."

I'm soo sorry, but that just struck me totally as a late-night post! As if the abandoned office/slash bank building they tore down made an impact! Yeah that Dollar Store came in and the next thing you know, the whole area just tanked! That's funny!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.