Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Detroit homicide count for '05? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 71
Posted From: 220.231.76.3
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 5:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Curious with the down to 900K or maybe less if the homicide count was able to come in below 350 for '05. It would seem with fewer people that would be plausible, but the city's per 100K homicide rate has still remained over 40 for many years.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 430
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it broke the 350 mare this year, but was slightly under last year's total.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 2916
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard that it has gone down, but I wouldn't surprised to see the entire violent crime rate drop level off pretty soon. After all, it's not the career criminals that are leaving the city. If anything, there numbers will begin to increase again as more and more people pull themsleves and their money out of many of the neighborhoods. I hope I'm wrong, but things still haven't bottomed out in many parts of the city yet.

Within the Grand Boulevard loop, I suspect that it has bottomed out, and may have actually grown in population and increased it's tax base, but the "bomb radius" still hasn't truly hit many of the far-lying neighborhoods.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 946
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ill agree with that..

but think of how big the grand blvd loop is compared to the entire city.. of course its the most important, and the most promising part... but it honestly cant be any more than 1/6th of the entire land mass of the city, probably much less... and probably about 1/10th of the population.

However, its much easier to market that area since it is "Detroit proper" so to speak and is the crossroads for the entire region and the point of origion, whereas the upper eastside, northwest, far west, and south west neighborhoods are just bit players and have a very hard time distinguishing themselves in terms of importance and ameneties from lets say... warren... I honestly couldnt tell much of a difference if i lived at state fair and gratiot or the harperwoods side of 8 and kelly.

The crime shit has to stop...

It would be nice if the feds could get their noses out of Iraq and start helping the DPD clean some shit up here. Be nice if all the DPD had to do was tip them off and give them enough for a warrent and hit some of these guys up...

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1485
Posted From: 4.229.123.211
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As of a few weeks ago the murder pace was equal of that of '04.

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 74
Posted From: 220.231.80.145
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 4:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would put the count at 360 or 380. What is the population of Detroit now, around 880K?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 431
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Homicides this year: 374
Unsolved: 225

Detroit cases stay unsolved

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060102/M ETRO/601020361

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 7985
Posted From: 64.228.67.89
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That percentage rate of unsolved murders is disgusting at best. Maybe if the police tried to interact more with their respective communities folks might want offer assistance. As it stands citizens don't trust the police, and the police don't trust the citizens. To make matters worse more cops will be on layoff...look for a spike in crime this year.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 275
Posted From: 68.42.77.90
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

225 unsolved homicides is pathetic. Shame on us.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1488
Posted From: 4.229.123.75
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is disturbing Goat.I find it also somewhat disturbing that the murder the news chose to focus on was someone from Ann Arbor considering the literally hundreds of black Detroiters murders that are also unsolved.

I believe the DPD detectives are doing the best they can.But without noticable support from the admin how much should be expected?

What strikes me as mind boggling and very sad is one thousand plus murders in Detroit in the last three years.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9677
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New motto:

"Detroit: The place to get rid of that nagging wife with only a 1 in 3 chance of getting caught."

We'll be a destination city yet!

Goat

Post Number: 7986
Posted From: 64.228.67.89
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1,000 murders and add the destruction of families from those murders and those who may now and forever live in poverty because of it. How many were bystanders not involved? How many were the sole providers for their families? How many of those murdered could have had families of their own and lead productive lives?

This is just sad and what's worse is that most people have become numb to it all. I bet that's why the snews is now harping on AA. "Let's try and ramp up some more fear" should be their new motto.

Supersport

Post Number: 9680
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"1,000 murders and add the destruction of families from those murders and those who may now and forever live in poverty because of it. How many were bystanders not involved? How many were the sole providers for their families? How many of those murdered could have had families of their own and lead productive lives?"

Not many. Most were likely victims of the game I'm sure. Tally up 2 more to kick off the new year. Stand up and tell'em where your from!

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20060102/UPDAT E/60102001

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 773
Posted From: 66.89.12.30
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

with such little info released these two today sound so similar to the two last Monday

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 2464
Posted From: 69.212.26.75
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SSport, sometimes I find your machismo and arrogance quite amusing, but at other times quite irritating.

You've started off this year at least twice dismissing gun violence without regard to the circumstances. It ain't just Bad Guys that are affected by the violence and death. Bystanders and innocents die as well.

I've been in this City longer than you've been alive, and I plan on remaining here. I've dealt with more deaths by violence, muggings, home invasions, break-ins, car thefts and jackings, etc. than most people would have ever stood for. I walk this City's streets probably more than you.

I know you've never felt a gun barrel in your back, it's not a pleasant experience. Have you ever visited a friend in the hospital after his throat was slit from ear to ear, because he stopped for gas on your Grand River route. Then there was my friend who bragged about how he was packin' and no one could touch him, no one did until that night when some one stepped out of the shadows behind him and slammed him in the back of the head with a baseball bat, one more gun in the hands of the bad guys. Just a few stories of living in the City.

I prefer to be a live pussy, rather than be a stupid dead man.

So nothing has happened to you...yet.

Supersport

Post Number: 9684
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see your point, but I don't get gas on Grand River so I should be fine. :-)

Evelethcdenver
Username: Evelethcdenver

Post Number: 82
Posted From: 209.180.254.19
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

374 murders in a city with under 900,000 people? Way too high. Jesus, New York City has over 8 million people and had only about 537 as of New Years Eve. Something needs to be done to stop the homicides in Detroit.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 127
Posted From: 68.255.236.69
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People with Jobs usually dont shoot each other.

But just usually though

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2931
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, usually. But, isn't NYC's unemployment rate among Black men something like 50%? Jobs are definitely a major factor...but not the only major one.

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 413
Posted From: 67.149.110.53
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NYC doesn't have a 80% or higher population of african american's; many (if not 50%) near the proverty line.. Not to say that any one race is more violent than the other... But it does say alot about Detroit... Under a million same death rate as 8 million.. There is something VERY wrong here... NYC has a very diverse population Detroit does NOT..

But in reality what are the causes and what are the solutions?

More jobs for one...

Less reliance on one industry (car companies)

Suburbs and the City admitting the problems..

City residents stop blaming the suburbs.. and vice versa...

Accept suburbs help for issues in Detroit.. We are black or from the city we don't need your help is wrong.. You need our help...

Crime goes ignored from an understaffed and under educated police force..

I remember a few years ago how raves would never get busted.. Makes me wonder why.. My first guess is police turned the other way.. Or someone paid them.. But I doubt that...

I am looking for feedback here..

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2932
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, please, I don't want anyone to miscontrue my comment, and after thinking more about it, I could see how it could be. I was really just wanting to know that fact, exactly, and should have asked it as a separate topic.

I'm looking for feedback, too, to understand exactly why Detroit has accepted, if even grudgingly, the culture of violence that has plagued it for a few decades, now. I'm sure it we could find a lot of similarities with cities such as New Orleans, Washington D.C. and Atlanta, but I'm wondering what uniquely Detroit problems make it so that it's so hard to overcome.

I think a huge factor is that unlike those other cities, civic pride here is at an all time low. Citizens bought into the hype created around them, a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy. I've seen few other places where so many metro residents don't want to visit, and where so many citizens want to leave. Wasn't there a survey done recently where a sizeable amount of citizens said they've move if they had the means too? As bad as things are in for inner-city residents in places such as L.A., New York, of D.C. few wish to leave the city and/or area entirely.

Lilpup

Post Number: 778
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 3:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

poverty
probably greater mental health issues
general disdain from the Feds

State of Michigan ranks 46th out of 50 states + Washington D.C. in per capita 2004 Federal spending (DetNews)

since comparing to NYC:

2005 Homeland Security grants

NYC = $207.6 million
Detroit = $17.1 million

2003 HS Grants

NYC = $150 million + $26.7 million mass transit security + ($9.6 million NY/NJ port security + $96 million to the State of NY)
Detroit = $12.27 million & not even listed as a port

couldn't quickly find numbers for 2004 but you get the picture

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2933
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 4:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't compare to Detroit to NYC besides the crime rate (and even that is a hard comparison). New York City is going to get more grant money simply because it's a MUCH larger city. For the simple fact that NYC is the population has as many people are a lot of states (and more than some) it's in a league of it's own.

Lilpup

Post Number: 779
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 4:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you brought up NYC in a previous post - and per capita it's one of the safest big cities in the country

NYC is 9x more populous than Detroit occupying approx. 2.3x Detroit's land area yet got 12x the funding in 2005 (and isn't even the most impoverished city in the country, nor is it directly on an international border) - if Detroit could fund the PD thanks to federal grant money like NYC's been able to Detroit would probably be safer, too

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2934
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 4:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Considering that NYC is many more times likely to be attacked by terrorists, I think they are getting what they deserve. The land area should not matter. It's ridiculous that Wyoming gets so much Homeland Security money simply because its large. If anything, it should be based heavily on the potential risk of attacks.

BTW, NYC is hardly safer, on a domestic front, because of Homeland Security money. It was made safer years ago through what some may say were extreme measures.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5197
Posted From: 64.228.199.194
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Windsor had it's last murder of 2005 on New Year's eve.

The total murder count for 2005:

Supersport

Post Number: 9689
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds safer that Ann Arbor.

Goat

Post Number: 7990
Posted From: 67.71.65.66
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But who cares eh Sport? Just keep the gun handy and all will be alright. Or was it no big deal most murders are between people who know each other?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.