Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Three months to live ____________________ in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Capnhook
Username: Capnhook

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 69.136.140.70
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be moving out of the country for a few years due to a transfer from my employer. I've lived in the city almost the whole time since I moved up here in the mid-nineties. Like most of us, I've spent my time living here and not necessarily seeing the sights.

I thought I'd ask the group --- since I now only have 3 months in Detroit left -- what are the must see items? What would you do if you had a fixed time to be here (and remember, I'm still working so I can only get out and about afterwork or on days off).

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 224
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heidelberg project..and if the artist Tyree Guyton happens to be there he`s useally a pretty sociable guy ..

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1514
Posted From: 68.84.183.189
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go do some of the more obscure things like feather bowl at the Cadieux Cafe, go tobaggoning at the Oakland County Parks & Rec facility, take a tour of the Detroit churches, Hitsville, skate at Campus Martius, indulge in a coney island from the American or Lafayette, check out as many of the museums as possible, tour Meadowbrook, attend an art opening, Brew & View at the Magic Bag, hear jazz at Bakers, see a Red Wings game, check out WinterBlast, tour the Guardian Building, run around Belle Isle, visit Windsor, chug Faygo, take the Rouge Tour at The Henry Ford, shoot pool at the Magic Stick, take plenty of pictures, go down to the Riverwalk, buy Pewabic, get swag from Pure Detroit, hoard Vernors, attend a UDM basketball game, subscribe to Hour Detroit, write graffiti at the Post Bar, see a movie at the Ford Wyoming, and do whatever your heart desires.

There's lots happening in this city constantly.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 410
Posted From: 68.255.243.195
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seeing as I have been out of the country for a year, already, I can give you my list of things I did as soon as I got back! First stop, Laffeyette Coney Island! Seriously, make this one of your final meals, because you can't get this ANYWHERE else. Mexican Town, Guardian Building... and go to Pure Detroit and get ample Detroit T-shirts to wear out, while you're gone. Skating at Campus Martius. Detroit Beer Company and Detroit Brewery... These beers are fantastic and unless you're moving to Germany or Belgium, the beer isn't so good. Besides, there's nothing like a cold glass of Ghettoblaster! Slow's! Spend a day at the DIA. Do a pub crawl through Downtown... Centaur, Town Pump, DBC, Bookies, Oslo, The Well and the Post.

The most important thing, however is to visit and party with your friends. While I miss Detroit while I am gone, I mostly miss my friends. The City is what it is and I love it, but it would NOT be anything to me without all those wonderful people in our lives... (you know who you are).

Best of luck on your travels and enjoy.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 228
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kings books

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.