Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » The Detroit Blog Guy « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Legsdiamond
Username: Legsdiamond

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 216.222.168.183
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If y'all haven't been reading this lately, you're missing out on some laugh-out-loud funny stuff. What a great writer.

For all I know, he posts on here...if that's the case, he should know he has a big fan in Wisconsin (and NYC, since I constantly send links to friends there...)

Happy New Year...

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 938
Posted From: 68.248.15.192
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

link?

Legsdiamond
Username: Legsdiamond

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 216.222.168.183
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detroitblog.org/

hope this works; sorry I didn't post it with the first message...

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 602
Posted From: 4.229.123.14
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitBlog ROX !

Nota Dyesser though, sorry folks.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 174
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The writer of DetroitBlog is one of the finest writers I've ever stumbled across. His humor is timely and appropriate, and his use of the occasional metaphor is always one that makes me say "I wish I'd of thought of that". Photos aren't too shabby, either.

Hope you read this, DetroitBlog. You top all the others, and there are some darn good ones out there.

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 474
Posted From: 70.186.39.150
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a fan in Arkansas!

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1623
Posted From: 66.2.148.34
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed. The guy writes masterfully, takes great photos, infilitrates tall abandoned buildings, and also plays hockey and has a girlfriend. I wonder when he finds time to sleep.

Jenay
Username: Jenay

Post Number: 108
Posted From: 68.41.224.19
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've read every single entry in his blog. I love his writing also, and the pictures are wonderful. I wonder who this guy is??

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 296
Posted From: 69.221.68.105
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny funny guy... then of course I was with that one writer who insists she think its a girl....

Mauser765

Post Number: 604
Posted From: 4.229.51.82
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A girl ? Thats a new angle on the mystery alright.

Heres the MetroTimes article with a photograph inside the Lee Plaza

I agree, the photography is elegant and his writing is unequalled in blogland.

Leyland
Username: Leyland

Post Number: 53
Posted From: 205.188.116.201
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitBlog is my hero.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 66.167.58.137
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitBlog....way Phat. Fun FUn FUN!

Don't jump down on any roofs covered in pigion poop. We know a photographer who did that in NYC and the roof top was a sky light ... he then plunged to his demise. Hope DetroitBloger is careful on the 'urban splunking' adventures.

Keep the PIC's & writing coming and the building ID's on the down-low so the strippers don't get them.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 485
Posted From: 69.242.214.106
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is quite nice for a blog, and very well written.

A noticed an error in the story afout the journey through the Lafer Building. The Harvard Square Building pictured in that section is not unoccupied. The Hub occupies the first 2 floors of the building, and I have seen people coming and going from the upper floors. The entrance to the upper floors is quite nice, with new doors, nice carpet, etc. I am not sure exactly how much of the building is filled, but it is certainly not "unoccupied".

Detroitwonk
Username: Detroitwonk

Post Number: 88
Posted From: 68.41.207.52
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best thing about the man/woman/person behind detroitblog is that I have found him/her to be focused first and foremost on the safety of others, and making sure that a message is out there that it is dangerous for suburban kids to try something like this with no experience. (thank you again anonymous writer of detroitblog!)

If you want a great little article on the writer of detroitblog check this one out from the Metro Times:

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=8620

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2138
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I concur with the others on this thread; this has been an amazing collection to watch grow. This guy [and I will eat my hat if it is not a guy - no proof, just call it male intuition] has incredible chutzpah and deserves plaudits for the physical and legal risks he has taken to provide us with those unique views.

It is especially interesting to compare his experiences to environment ten years ago when I launched this site as the Fabulous Ruins of Detroit. Police, rarely seen, had no concern with someone with a camera at a ruin site, indeed they could even be helpful. At the most, they might warn you about a safety issue.

Almost none of the current speculation in property existed and practically every ruin was wide open, unposted against trespass, and forgotten. Why not? Who in their right mind would want to photograph them, let alone explore them, these despised rejects, these visible symbols of our failures?

Not meaning to be judgmental, but I always drew my line at breaking and entering, not entering clearly posted no trespassing zones, and obvious structural safety considerations. If others chose otherwise, as our detroitblog friend has, good luck, beware, be willing to accept consequences, and thanks for sharing what you get.

So it becomes and ethical issue as well as legal. The situation is akin to whistle-blowing. The whistleblower, as in the current one who has revealed the government’s [NSA’s] illegal warrantless searches, breaches laws to bring us the truth. Which is more valuable, the truth or authoritarian adherence to the law even if it means covering up crimes? Sometimes the law needs to be broken for truth to come to light.

Over the years I have literally had hundreds of emails requesting information on entering buildings, requests for interviews on urban exploration, tours and more – so much that I created a standard response email – [beware, prepare, and don’t steal] that always ended with a friend of a friend story who fell to his death while jumping down to a lower roof that turned out to be a pigeon dung covered sky light.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 304
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Said friend, of course would be Dhugger based on this thread.

Great insights as usual Lowell... except for the (expected) leftist crap in paragraph 5.

Mauser765

Post Number: 628
Posted From: 4.229.117.52
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leftist crap.....huh ?

Anyway - Dblog is a guy and lives in Detroit.

AND HIS BLOG ROX !

Gertrude
Username: Gertrude

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 24.33.246.207
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Irish_mafia, you do know that whistleblowers are needed on both sides of the aisle. The only one making a political statement was you.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 310
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gertrude,

The point was simple. This is a thread about a funny talented writer and photgrapher and to compare him to a guy that many in this country think of as a treasonous dirtbag is not necessary.

Mauser765

Post Number: 636
Posted From: 4.229.114.178
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay Irish - insert Karen Silkwood where Lowell referenced the NSA's Constitutionally illegal wiretapping whistleblower - the analogy still stands. Dont get distracted by politics on the issue.

Lowell made a very sussinct point about the importance of DetroitBlogs writing and research. The importance of the information MAY outweigh the potential illegality of the way its delivered or gathered. He concurs that this point is debateable.

That fine line is what makes Dblog so dangerous and fascinating. AND he delivers the goods with style and wit. The guy is an artist.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 99
Posted From: 141.213.196.136
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love dblog's work. His research and delivery of the material is amazing.

Despite the more recent awareness in security and such, it's quite amazing how urban exploration for the purpose of documenting buildings through images has become far more acceptable in society.

IMO, the trespassing signs put up on abandoned property are only there to prevent vandalism and for safety reasons. So basically, if you are only going inside through a wide open door to take pictures and will not hold the owner liable if you get hurt, there is nothing wrong with it at all. Soceity benefits in that they get to see the pictures that individual posts on the net the next day. And what has the building owner done? Nothing!

I feel sorry for Dblog that there are people out there making his research difficult. This is not the police or security guards, rather it's the vandals who go in and destroy these places. They are the reason why these places have become so off limits.

I really wanted to go up to the top of Lee Plaza on a nice sunny winter day to get some skyline photos, but I can't because some idiots have ripped the roof off and I don't want to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Whether law enforcment officials really care or not, I don't know. I haven't heard of anyone ever getting fined for urban exploring. I do know of people have been asked to leave the property when they've been sighted.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 312
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser,

I agree completely.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 216.111.89.3
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pictures from the Auto Show.....well the models at least.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1633
Posted From: 66.2.148.97
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IrishMafia said:
"The point was simple. This is a thread about a funny talented writer and photgrapher and to compare him to a guy that many in this country think of as a treasonous dirtbag is not necessary".
Your myopia, or some other defect in vision keeps you from seeing the irony in your statement.

The point is that many people who somehow break conventional rules and committ acts that show the hypocrisy or other gaping flaws in our society are revered by some and denounced by others as traitors, lawbreakers, scumbags, disgruntled employees, etc.
It is pretty common for such figures to be funny and talented.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2150
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting, isn't it Barnes, how there is outrage over the outing of the truth about a criminal violation of the 4th amendment that names no one nor outs anyone. This by the same crowd who outed ~by name~ an undercover agent, Valery Plame, and then did all they could, and still are, to hinder the investigation of the "treasonous dirtbags" who perpetrated that crime.

LMAO of the whole Washington rat's nest running for cover from Abramov's bribery testimony while wrapping their flags around them calling the rest of us traitors.

Here is one for them from that Bible they like to wave about but not not obey, "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1635
Posted From: 66.2.148.78
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but ye shall not hear the truth when thou playest thine damn Ted Nugent songs so loud...

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 315
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

er, I believe the adminstrator is off topic...again

31ford
Username: 31ford

Post Number: 267
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitBlog is one of my Favorite reads along with this site. I haven't checked in lately, as I've been busy with the joys of self-employment.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 238
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irish_mafia I believe thats one of the benefits to having your own website..do have a website, blog myspace etc we can see ???

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.