Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Detroit Public Library Scared of Jay-Z/Hip-Hop for SBXL??? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Treez4brkfst
Username: Treez4brkfst

Post Number: 86
Posted From: 68.21.61.1
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tuesday - January 3, 2006 by Janeé Bolden
http://www.sohh.com/articles/a rticle.php/8107

SOHH.com has exclusively learned that Jay-Z may have been denied access to the Detroit Public Library. According to sources, the Def Jam president was interested in throwing a party there during Superbowl weekend (February 3-5), but has had to make other plans after being denied use of the city-owned facility.

Karen Floyd-Sanders of the Detroit Public Library told SOHH.com that the library had been in talks with Jay-Z about planning the party but things didn't pan out.

"I was actually on sick leave so I'm not sure what happened," Floyd-Sanders said. "When I came back they said it wasn't going to happen so I just moved on to the next event."

However, Conrad Wilson, head of marketing for the Detroit Public Library and Floyd-Saunders' supervisor, told a different story.

"Many people are asking for venues in Detroit and they are required to go through our formal channels and provide all the information about which buildings they'd like to use as well as file for all the necessary permits and insurance," explained Wilson. "If that wasn't done properly, that would be a reason to deny the request."

MMG concert promoter Demetrius Carrington, who was organizing the event for Hov, refuted that claim.

"They cancelled," Carrington told SOHH.com. "We thought it would have been a really unique special thing. They totally screwed us and we ended up losing the whole function. It is ridiculous for a city in such financial shape to deal in such an unprofessional manner."

According to Carrington, MMG did all the necessary work that Wilson referred to.

"That's bullshit because I went through their insurance carriers," he said. "I've done [events with] Prince, R. Kelly-all type of shit. I think they got scared because of the scope of the event. I think they are a bunch of older conservatives who decided it was too much to handle.

"I was just upset because they were so unprofessional to me," added Carrington. "For us to be in financial ruins in this city and for somebody to arbitrarily change their minds is ridiculous. We were going to employ 100 security detail. They issued me a preliminary contract; we could've done something legally. I was very disappointed. They have one of the biggest venues in the city that is probably going to sit dark [on] one of the biggest weekends that Detroit will have for a long time."

While MMG will not be handling a Jay-Z event for Superbowl XL, the company is planning three events that weekend for Diddy.

"Puffy's doing three parties that weekend," said Carrington. "Eliceum Nightclub, Captain's Nightclub, and we're trying to get the State Theater which is the biggest club in the city."

Jay-Z may not have altogether abandoned the idea of a Superbowl XL party though. Midtown Art Gallery CPop has been in touch with Hov about having an event in their space.

"We hope it happens," said CPop Gallery Director Rick Manore. "We have the venue for it. The man is so cool that we would love to do it."

The multi-level art gallery, located right next to Detroit's legendary Majestic Theater, has hosted events for museum "friends" The White Stripes' Jack White, actor Nicholas Cage and Kid Rock, among others. Offering high ceilings and over 6,000-sq. feet of space, the Gallery is less than half a mile from Ford Field where this year's Superbowl will be taking place.

At press time, representatives for Jay-Z could not be reached for comment.

This is not a good look! If that bldg goes unused during SBXL, it would be a tragedy!!!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 723
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its a friggen library, not a banquet hall...

I for one am glad one of the city's most sacred institutions isn't being used by Jay-z for some blingin party. cpop is much more appropriate.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on January 04, 2006)

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 381
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree and disagree. It sounds like they already agreed to it in the article, then backed out. I'm against using a library of all places to host a party, but it sounded like a good idea to somebody at first. You can tell those guys were pissed by taking all those shots at Detroit.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1112
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really interesting. Some funny quotes too. I bet if he petitioned Kwame he could do a street concert on Woodward right between the library and DIA. What a setting that would be.

Where inside of the library were they planning on having this event?

I'm sure the library will end up being used for a more low-key cocktail party or fundraiser that week.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 2947
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too agree that while the library is not a place for any kind of parties (let alone Superbowl parties), it is very unprofessional not to follow through on a promise.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2213
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I man they have a,ot of functions in the DIA why not have it there?

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 940
Posted From: 68.248.15.192
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny to see profanity-laden quotes from a guy complaining about others' professionalism.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 956
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol agree with Gdub. (atleast on the forum)

However, im glad this isnt being held at the library. There are much more fitting venues for this type of party... and look at how fast they found one.

Im sure someone else will use the library for better purposes.

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 392
Posted From: 216.45.2.138
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he brings Beyonce, I say let Jay-Z have the freakin place all week!

Bootylicious-atcha

(Message edited by Morena on January 04, 2006)

Ddmoore54
Username: Ddmoore54

Post Number: 242
Posted From: 69.242.220.249
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Based on Carrington's diction, I have a hard time lending too much credibility to his side of the story.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3341
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think they got scared because of the scope of the event.

followed by...

quote:

We were going to employ 100 security detail.

If the promoter finds it necessary to have 100 people detailed to security, it makes one wonder exactly what kind of behavior they anticipated at the party. Having something that requires that much security is probably not appropriate for a public building containing thousands upon thousands of irreplaceable documents. I don't care what kind of insurance you have, if it all goes wrong and documents are damaged, that is no good for anyone.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1708
Posted From: 207.69.139.154
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The large hall at the top of the grand staircase at the Detroit Public Library is called Adam Strom Hall. That room is enormous.

What irony! Based on their vernacular, I bet most of these Hip-Hop folks have never even seen the inside of a library....

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2948
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What an ignorant comment, Gistok.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2120
Posted From: 69.221.39.43
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...Nothing more than posturing in the media by the promoter

He's "keepin' it real" with the profanity and general lack of professionalism.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3398
Posted From: 68.73.192.149
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since when does profanity have anything to do with "professionalism"?? You have some ignorant misplaced schitt, in your post, there!!

Black-atcha .....

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1910
Posted From: 69.246.4.29
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok- You are really ignorant.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2121
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're "right" Rasputin...using tactics such as racism, name-calling, profanity, intentionally claiming false/misleading information, etc. "have nothing to do with professionalism".

Please "Ilovedetroit", if that's the worst Gistok says, he or she is still light years ahead of you.

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 69.136.149.200
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just hope he still has a party thats the one i'm trying to go to

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 941
Posted From: 68.248.15.192
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aww, poor Rasputin. Can't help disqualifying himself from "Professional" designation with every single infantile "schitt" post of his. It's far too late to teach that old dog a lesson in civility, so I won't even bother.

Gistok

Post Number: 1709
Posted From: 207.69.138.134
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I kinda knew that comment would get me in trouble. Sorry I got some folks up in arms. But you see I did say "BASED ON THEIR VERNACULAR".... what did you guys interpret that as? Just how many books in that place are written in Hip-Hop language anyway? Do I have to explain irony?

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1911
Posted From: 69.246.4.29
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was still a dumb comment. But at least you are light years ahead of Metro in everything else.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2123
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit" repeating what I just said to you does not constitute a very good comeback. :-)

Again, you are the LAST person to lecture anyone about dumb comments.

Jltyler
Username: Jltyler

Post Number: 209
Posted From: 70.225.119.167
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is it whenever the slightest mention of hip-hop, which is associated with young black america, pops up on this message board, there are alwasys all sorts of off-the-wall comments from educational stereotyping to racial insensitive comments?

quote:

ver·nac·u·lar n.

1. The standard native language of a country or locality.
1. The everyday language spoken by a people as distinguished from the literary language. See Synonyms at dialect.
2. A variety of such everyday language specific to a social group or region: the vernaculars of New York City.
3. The idiom of a particular trade or profession: in the legal vernacular.
4. An idiomatic word, phrase, or expression.
5. The common, nonscientific name of a plant or animal.

adj.

1. Native to or commonly spoken by the members of a particular country or region.
2. Using the native language of a region, especially as distinct from the literary language: a vernacular poet.
3. Relating to or expressed in the native language or dialect.
4. Of or being an indigenous building style using local materials and traditional methods of construction and ornament, especially as distinguished from academic or historical architectural styles.
5. Occurring or existing in a particular locality; endemic: a vernacular disease.
6. Relating to or designating the common, nonscientific name of a plant or animal.

had to look the meaning of that one up.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 167
Posted From: 69.208.246.139
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"They have one of the biggest venues in the city that is probably going to sit dark [on] one of the biggest weekends that Detroit will have for a long time."

The library will be open Friday and Saturday from 10-6. The citizens of Detroit who are not caught up in the Superbowl will still be able to go to their library.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 756
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should hold their hip hop party in the Michigan Central Station, bring in some heaters and it would be a great venue for that type of function.
Plus Manny could make a few bucks to keep his fancy new fence in nice condition. I know how much he hates things in disrepair.

(Message edited by Psip on January 04, 2006)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2950
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jltyler, I don't know about you, but most everyone here is aware of the definition of vernacular. It's great, though, that you were able to entertain yourself with a Sesame Streetesque dictionary lesson. Good job. Now, go to your teacher to see if she/he gave you a gold star for that extra credit work.

Jltyler

Post Number: 210
Posted From: 70.225.119.167
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmich, I am certainly glad that you speak for a majority of the forum. But, am not for sure shy you're attacking me because I didn't know the definition of a word. Thanks alot, brother.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2954
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really thought you meant that tongue-in-cheek and with sarcasm. I had no idea you really didn't know the word. I read sarcasm into something that wasn't. Really, my bad. I've definitely been humbled. See, this is what happens when you feel like you have to be on the defense on a near constant basis, here.

(Message edited by lmichigan on January 05, 2006)

Jltyler

Post Number: 211
Posted From: 64.148.226.151
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No probem Lmich.

Gistok

Post Number: 1712
Posted From: 4.229.150.234
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Lmich, but there's only room for one of us in the woodshed at a time! :-(

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 142
Posted From: 141.217.46.39
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am surprised the Library even considered this...

their policy is - NON PROFITS ONLY...

they prob considered because of the money they thought they would make but realized it'd be too much of a logistical hassle...

the building is not made for parties...

the one or two elevators that work are small and their is no real place to cook and prepare food

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4635
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"That's bullshit because I went through their insurance carriers," he said. "I've done [events with] Prince, R. Kelly-all type of shit. I think they got scared because of the scope of the event. I think they are a bunch of older conservatives who decided it was too much to handle.

"I was just upset because they were so unprofessional to me," added Carrington.

Ahem. Who's unprofessional?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.