Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Lawsuit Claims Black Girl Forced to Use Separate Bathroom Due to Race « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2272
Posted From: 199.74.87.131
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 5:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lawsuit Claims Black Girl Forced to Use Separate Bathroom Due to Race
Date: Tuesday, January 03, 2006
By: Monica Lewis, BlackAmericaWeb.com

The calendar may very well read 2006, but for one Michigan family, it might as well be 1956.

A little less than two weeks before Christmas, Euniecia Snyder filed a complaint with the U.S. District Court in Grand Rapids, Michigan claiming that her daughter was subjected to discriminatory practices and racial taunts. In the complaint, Snyder, filing on behalf of her daughter Realite Peebles, said the girl was forced by school administrators to use a separate bathroom and was repeatedly teased by fellow classmates because of her race.

http://www.blackamericaweb.com /site.aspx/bawnews/lawsuit0104

And where does Michigan rank in hate crimes again?

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1913
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It almost seems unreal - that someone (the school personnel) could be so stupid.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 107
Posted From: 147.240.236.8
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at the irony of the little girls name, it's "Realite"..........

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6360
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I believe that racism is still prevalent in this day and age I think this is a situation where the whole story needs to come out. We may be getting just one side of the story.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2273
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Black people shouldn't be moving to boonie towns with only four black famiiles total anyways.

Jenkje
Username: Jenkje

Post Number: 129
Posted From: 69.212.255.133
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why? Black people can move anywhere they want to move.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2274
Posted From: 129.105.244.195
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenkje, think of the children. I wouldn't want my children exposed to blatant racism like that at such a young age.

Deputy
Username: Deputy

Post Number: 82
Posted From: 63.115.132.100
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. This is surprising. Not that racism exists, but that it is apparently accepted by an entire school or school district.
All the Black people I know that live or grew up in the rural north have never mentioned any incidents of racism. However, I also found this to be surprising since I have many relatives on my Mom's side that live up there who are as racist as can be. I almost decked my uncle at my father's funeral because of some racial comments he made towards my roommates who were thoughtful enough to visit me at the funeral home.
I guess I should learn to expect anything anymore.

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 600
Posted From: 69.212.62.92
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what's surprising to me is the forumers' amazement to this story (as Jt1 said, I'd like to get the other side of the story)

Jenkje....for the same reasons that I've been told by blacks in Detroit to "move the fuck out of downtown" b/c i don't belong here, i've never belonged here, and my income/property tax is not wanted here.

Romanized
Username: Romanized

Post Number: 175
Posted From: 69.245.75.239
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other side of the story? WTF are your talking about? Either they did what the story alleged or not. There is no tricky grey area here. But it will be entertaining to watch media types and people on this forum rationalize it.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 379
Posted From: 69.212.38.253
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a statement. What ever race you are you should be able to move anywhere you want to. Unfortunately racism still exists everywhere. To say that it doesn't means you are just naive....or white. White people are the first people to claim that there is no racism...how funny is that!

Northend....it didn't feel too good when those people told you that did it? It never does, but blacks have been dealing with it for years....crosses burned on lawns....houses spray painted...and it still goes on. It is passed on down to their children, and so on, and so on.

I purposely put my children in mostly white schools because I wanted them to learn what racism was all about at a very young age so that they would know how to deal with it as they grew older. My parents did that for me and I am so glad that they did. I have been very successful because of it. And I am not trying to sound like Ras, but the most valuable leason I learned was "to beat the 'man' at his own game".

I have grown older now, and sometimes those games get tiresome. So now, when I am faced with racism or hatred, I just call upon the spirits and put on curse on them....I tell you it's much easier and much quicker.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1918
Posted From: 68.40.105.21
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bratt - As always you are awesome!

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 380
Posted From: 69.212.38.253
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks ILD...I miss you!

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 414
Posted From: 67.149.110.53
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Northend.. The whole story is not there.. Did the girl have some type of disorder, or something besides race that would make her deemed to be away from the general population.. Once again there is always 2 sides to a story..

Considering the source is one sided, I would like to see the original AP article if anyone can produce it..

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 415
Posted From: 67.149.110.53
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW I saw one sided source.. Because if you someone quoted a pro white website I would say the same thing... Think about that.. We all put our own slander on things... Including racial groups whom run these sort of websites..

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 2968
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The girl could have a peg-leg, snaggle-teeth, a lazy eye, turrets with a touch of down syndrome, and that is still doesn't explain away the alleged racial taunts. Either she and her mother are liers, or not. All things will come to light unless this is settled.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 970
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... Ever been out to Howel? You bet racism still exists in the boonie towns.

ALSO remember that racism still exists in the city as well... Ive had some shit said to me at some parties I have been to where the majority was black... although it was only a select few in the crowd that actually cared... It goes both ways, and it needs to stop...
I personally think that because we are segregated by default, there is no chance for interacting here to bridge this misinderstanding that causes so much distrust of the other race.

Dove7
Username: Dove7

Post Number: 1914
Posted From: 24.5.195.127
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok,

see this is the problem here. How do you know that this isn't the entire story? Were you there?

You may be right, there is a great possiblity that there is more to the story. But you can't confirm it as a fact that there are holes in the story until you know.

Some of the reactions are predictable on here. And I wonder at times why do some black folks cotinue to post these things when many of the whites will always have some kind of Dick Tracy attitude and excuse to what their theory is to what might have been the real issue.

I'm speaking from experiences on here. When I gave examples of racism some years back, I was mocked. The mocker and mockers didn't question if my situation was a real one, but they came with sarcsim. Then they wonder why people like Ras. acts the way that he does.

Tiger Woods recently spoke on this topic. What he went through and continues to go through. And what his dad has gone through.

Racism is a daily basis experience for minorities period. It can be a in yer face racism or subtle.

I had a customer that me and another worker moved with a out of town driver. Talk about a paranoid woman. The woman damn near broke her neck racing up the stairs everytime I got up there by myself to make sure that I wasn't going to steal anything. I got a kick out of it. At the end of the day, she asked us for our home address. Her excuse was she wanted to give us a reward after she goes through her entire items that were delivered to her. The other two guys gave their addys. I didn't give her mine. I refused to and told her that she can mail me whatever she has to my work/job addy.

The last thing that I need is someone coming to my place or having someone come around because someone is going to accuse of you of stealing.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1502
Posted From: 4.229.132.221
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alex please cite specific examples of racism in Howell.

Dove7

Post Number: 1915
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltrovia,

a black person, white, hispanic etc..shouldn't have to be obligated to live in another area because of another ignorant fool.

This is nothing new. During my last years living in the metro Detroit area, you have had blacks who moved in white neighborhoods, only to have their house sprayed with the 'n' word at night time and moved out because they were scared to death.

Northend, your experience in Detroit doesn't justify nor excuse that blacks can't and should not be able to move into a white nieghbohood. You allowed those blacks to intimidate you. Intimidation will not be the first nor last thing on my menu to make me move out. If one has a problem with me, come holler at me and we can settle this man to man. But cowards can't do that.

I've been called the 'n' word by some whites while in downtown Detroit. I didn't even know these people. But one said something to me and then his girlfriend flipped me off. There was a white kid who first told me that they called me the 'n' word. I thanked him, because he didn't have to do that. I asked them why and what beef that they had with me. They called me another 'n'. I tried to run their asses over. One on here thinks that I'm a liar and even used that example to try to state that I am a liar. You just don't know. I wish that your ass was there to see if I was talking b.s.

Dove7

Post Number: 1916
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover,

why do you want him to cite examples? If you don't mind me asking? I know of someone who lived in Howell and have confirmed this.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 975
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to a bar with a neighbor of a friend that recently moved to Howell. The neighbor was a pretty kool guy who recently got out of the Navy and wanted my buddy to show him around... We were in there no more than 2 minutes before a bartender walked up to my friends african american neighbor (not even checking to see if I had ID or not, they let me right in and asked if i wanted a beer as soon as i sat down) and told him that he would have to leave. He asked them why and they said it was a private establishment and they said that he would cause problems. My friend stuck up for him and asked what the problem was... they flat out said that he would cause a problem and all 3 of us were shown the door.

When we left I noticed many of the people in the bar snickering and many of the people in there (all white by the way) seemed not too friendly... and I can see why they were worried about a problem being caused... although I am appalled.

Yes I will admit that is the only personal encounter that I have experianced, but I have heard of many more and I have much more of a reason to believe it since then. I have only been there 3 times, but my friend assured me that he really cant go anywhere with his neighbor without some sort of problem or unwelcome jeasture of some sort.

I just have a feeling that this isnt just localized to Howell..and that this attitude is everywhere where there is a white majority... altough in the burbs it is much more subliminal and not as overt as in more rural towns.... For some reason, poorer white people have a specific problem with blacks... for one reason or another... Look at south Warren to the blacks that move in there..

To me this is disgusting and these people dont deserve to live if they cannot treat even people as human beings deserving of respect.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 226
Posted From: 4.229.39.180
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, so the school administators deny that there was any racism involved. But they still didn't come up with any other explanation as to why this little girl had to use a separate bathroom.

I once worked in an all-white school where one of my students got picked on because there were black foster kids living in her home. And I mean, she was picked on A LOT. The kids teased her about other things, but mostly it was about the black foster sisters. These incidents usually happened at lunch and the kids who picked on this girl were older and not in my class. The girl didn't know their names or whose class they were in, or so she said when I tried to probe her for details. Basically, it was the lunch ladies' job to deal with the situation, but they either couldn't or wouldn't. It got to the point where the kid started pretending she was sick every morning around 11 AM, so she would be sent home before she had to go to lunch. In the end, the teacher I was working with spoke to her parents and they decided it would be best if the girl went home for lunch every day. Students were allowed to go home for lunch at that school, but hardly any of them did. This girl's house was quite a distance from the school and she would almost always be ten minutes late for class in the afternoon. But the teacher overlooked her tardiness and everything turned out OK.

Anyhow, I'm wondering if maybe this little girl near Grand Rapids was being targeted in the school bathrooms and maybe the teachers thought sending her to a separate bathroom would protect her in the same sense that going home for lunch protected the kid I used to work with? Not that the separate bathroom solution is a good one or the right one, but maybe someone at the school thought that it was. I'm not naive enough to think that teachers can't be racist, but in this day and age it is hard to believe that they would be stupid enough to make a black kid use a separate bathroom solely because she is black. I mean, these teachers had to go to ed school at some point in their lives, and diversity training is part of their education as teachers-in-training. Even if these teachers are older, they have to keep taking courses to maintain their state certification. So even if a teacher spends his or her weekends at KKK rallies and neo-Nazi demonstrations, he or she should know what is and is not acceptable at work and what kind of behavior can get you sued.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 124
Posted From: 68.61.55.140
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 3:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alexei289,
Do you mind naming the establishment?

I'm not condoning racism at all, but there are places in rural Michigan where it's just not a good idea to walk into if you are black. On the other hand there are places in the City where I would never imagine returning to. In both cases it's sad and pathetic, but it's reality.

(Message edited by Johnnny5 on January 07, 2006)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2970
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 3:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even if they were trying to protect this girl, that's simply not an acceptable solution. No one should have to live in that kind of hell simply because of their skin color, especially in the year 2006, I don't where it happens to be or who it happens to be happening to.

BTW, CL, if you really want more stories on Howell, I'd be happy to oblige you with some more. But really, little anecdotal stories are getting old.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2276
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Howell and Brighton are among the few tradtional racist suburbs (also Downriver, Warren and Dearborn) in the Detroit region. Howell used to be the home of the Grand Wizard (?) of the Ku Klux Klan, City Lover. When I was in Brighton, I walked into a store and both white men stared at me with strange looks. I didn't understand why their conversation stopped so abruptly when they saw me. When I approached the counter, the white man was shaking like I wanted to rob him. I got what I needed, but my mother and I drove the hell out of that town. I never want to stop there ever again.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2177
Posted From: 12.75.21.70
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Jenniferl has described a fairly likely scenario.

quote:

Anyhow, I'm wondering if maybe this little girl near Grand Rapids was being targeted in the school bathrooms and maybe the teachers thought sending her to a separate bathroom would protect her in the same sense that going home for lunch protected the kid I used to work with? Not that the separate bathroom solution is a good one or the right one, but maybe someone at the school thought that it was.

In this and so many other controversies it's likely not a simple case of one side lying and the other one telling the truth. Each is probably describing events as they see and interpret them.

If Jenniferl's scenario is close to what actually happened, the mother is understandably angry at what her daughter experienced and at the school's apparent inability to stop the kids who were harassing her daughter. As a parent I’d be livid if it were my kid who was being harassed, for whatever stupid reason kids do that stuff. I'd expect that the school would make it stop and I'd be all over them to hold them accountable.

On the other hand, the school may see this as one of many examples of some kids being mean and hurtful to another kid. It happens to the kid who’s different due to race, but it also happens to the fat kid, the stutterer, the geek, the quiet one, the weak one, the one with buck teeth, the one with out-of-fashion clothes – anyone who stick out a bit. But that’s a sad constant in the school lives of many kids, not the hateful design of a malicious school administration. The school probably thinks they did the best they could to handle one of the many cases of student-on-student harassment. In their minds race may have been the catalyst for the students’ harassment but racism wasn’t part of the administration’s reaction. Their reality is that despite their best efforts some harassment and teasing will occur at their (and every) school.

Two different views of one reality. Both IMO understandable if you put yourself in each side’s shoes. Look at the reactions on this forum. Everyone read the same link but it produced many different reactions when filtered through our own “realities”.

Dove7

Post Number: 1919
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Track75,

until there is the other side this story, it's very silly to use Jennifer's scenerio as 'understandable' when it's only Jennifer's theory. Nothing has been addressed yet from the other side.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2971
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 5:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer's scenario is understandable, and most certainly probable. You act as if it's some "out there" concept. It's not. I don't necessarily agree that it justifies the alleged situation, but it most certianly could have happened that way.

And, no one will know the what truly happened until all facts come out, if they even do (this could be settled outside of court).

Dove7

Post Number: 1920
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMichigan,

go back and re-read my post very slow. I didn't act like anything, but what I did 'addressed' is that Track75 took Jennifer's scenario as an actual event that took place.

And like I had said, before you said it, until we know what has happened it's difficult to use a theory as a 'it's more than likely what had took place.

But you also saw that I had addressed that there is a possibility of another side, but I didn't give it any kind of theory, strongly believing that is what took place without really knowing. Big difference.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 340
Posted From: 68.250.97.237
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When I was in Brighton, I walked into a store and both white men stared at me with strange looks. "

What store was this? Yes, here in Brighton, there is lots of racism...when no one is around. However, I have noticed more and more black shoppers around Brighton, and even a few employees (this may not sound like significant, but less than a percent of Brighton is black)...I have heard countless racism comments in Brighton, but never anything face to face with a black person, and I have never seen ppl acting suspicious over a black customer ( i used to work for the Meijer here in Brighton)

If anything, I personally usually go out of my way to say hello or smile to a black person when I see them in Brighton, because I am sure they are uncomfortable. I guess that in itself could be racist....

Oh well, just my rant

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2179
Posted From: 12.75.20.91
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dove wrote:

quote:

go back and re-read my post very slow. I didn't act like anything, but what I did 'addressed' is that Track75 took Jennifer's scenario as an actual event that took place.

Dove, go back and re-read my post slowly too. I was pretty clear that I didn't just assume Jenniferl's post was an exact description of the event. Here's what I wrote:

quote:

I think Jenniferl has described a fairly likely scenario.

If Jenniferl's scenario is close to what actually happened, ...

Why would you assume I took Jenniferl's post as actual fact when my words clearly state otherwise?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 630
Posted From: 68.79.117.176
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

He asked them why and they said it was a private establishment and they said that he would cause problems. My friend stuck up for him and asked what the problem was... they flat out said that he would cause a problem and all 3 of us were shown the door.

Shit, that sounds like an incident a guy I know had at the Texas Bar on Kercheval. Or some places my friends play darts at on the west side.

Anti-black racism in Detroit proper always confused me...

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3406
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And I am not trying to sound like Ras, but the most valuable leason I learned was "to beat the 'man' at his own game".

Excellent, Bratt!! Because you DO sound like me!! and KUDOs to your parents, as they realized the bullschitt hypocrisy of Amerikkka and it's well trained - puppet, sheople-type white folk. Like I've been saying all along, "Their schitt (white supremacy)is being reinforced from the 'Cradle to the Grave'". Gotta fight that ignorant schitt back to the Hell it spawned from!!

Black-atcha ..... "Fight the Power .... (Isley Bros.) .... By Any Means Necessary!"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.