Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » When you hear gunshots..... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 513
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

....what do you do?

Living in tha' city we become immovable to the random sound of nightly gun-fire__ Often I 'write it off' as the quiddity of living in tha' hood. Sometimes I survey the darkness of the night__ Sometimes I will precariously 'snoop' out the corner of my upstairs window__Other times I simply ignore the sound__Nevertheless, I hold a bold presupposition that everything is ok.

What do you do?__ just curious to now how or/what you all do when you hear random gun-shots in the night-time.

super d(motordetroit)

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 228
Posted From: 4.229.156.61
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's close you get down on the floor, away from windows. Even that doesn't always help.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4633
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

honestly, i'd probably start looking at real estate listings. who wants to live in a neighborhood where gunshots randomly ring out in the night? why become one of those WDIV sob stories where your kid gets hit by a stray bullet when they're inside the house minding their own business?

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 580
Posted From: 68.60.139.186
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can not differentiate the sounds of gunfire or firecrackers or whatever the sound may be. It's because I'm in denial. I don't want to believe that human beings shoot off guns. I probably wouldn't be affected in my home anyway because it's on the 8th floor. But this topic about guns makes me wanna cry every time I hear/see/read about it. How do I react if I hear the sound of what might be a gunshot? Why are people such idiots, regardless of the neighborhood where it occurs.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2279
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think about SuperSport and wonder which end of the shots he was on.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 127
Posted From: 68.61.55.140
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear gunshots on and off all day long from my home. It really does not bother me much, but sometimes I think about it and realise, hell I could be out there hunting instead of sitting on my ass watching TV. So I head downstairs throw on some orange,grab a gun, wake up my lazy ass Weim and walk over the hill. Damn it's nice living in the suburbs. =)..

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 986
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you know what... i grew up around guns...

they dont scare me... I know damn straight that if I hear gunshots, their not pointed at me because I really havent involved myself with a crowd that would really piss themselves off enough at me. I hear them alot when im looking at property or going to friends houses... but they really dont bother me...

I mean... I like to carry a gun, and to me, instead of being scared of the guy that wants to shoot me, just make sure im the one who shoots him first...

It wasnt that long ago in american history where this was a fact of everyday life, city, suburb, or farmland... to know how to cap someone before they cap you.

Time to stand up to it and get rid of some of these cockroaches that invade our neighborhoods. By the time they start dying off, the only ones left will be the law abiding citizens who walk quietly and carry big sticks.

I just dont agree with submissing to this shit...

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 2975
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it was close, I'd get on the floor until it stops. If it's in the distance, nothing. While not common, even one death inside ones house is enough. Not too far from where I currently live, a small girl was nearly killed while sleeping in her bed when a stray bullet from a gunfight when THROUGH he townhome. She was in a coma for weeks. To me, one of these innocent bystanders is too many.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4634
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alexei, I really hope you don't have a problem living in a neighborhood comprised entirely of men in jumpsuits being patrolled by large men carrying guns, because that's where you'll be living if you "cap someone before they cap you."

Murder's a bitch. Enjoy your 25 to life.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 736
Posted From: 68.255.242.100
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the only time i've heard gunfire close enough to my place to worry about it was during this past new years.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2147
Posted From: 66.167.58.137
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I hear gunfire, I walk up to Grand River to Fort SSport to wait things out. As long as I don't run into Alexei I got it made.

Alexei, you grew up among guns, I was brought up among them. Brought up as in safety of use and with the respect to never spout cowboy movie talk about their usage on others.

Enjoy your reveries but in reality if you have the misfortune to be in such of a situation 9 time out of 10 you will be surprised to suddenly find a gun to your head and then see two of his buddies with hands in their pockets ten yards away. Gonna draw Wyatt?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 437
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I hear gun shots... I get the hell out of Ann Arbor.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 637
Posted From: 4.229.69.232
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While attending CCS we would occationally get a volley of gunfire from the ArtCentre neighborhood behind the school. I became rather casual about it after living around there for awhile. I figured when my time comes, it comes.

A couple of bemusing stories: a girl was walking down the alley that runs between John R and Brush next to the school (the school book store used to be in a garage along that alley) and she heard a gunshot. Closer inspection when she got into the classroom showed a clean shot right through her tackle box. (the graphics students would use tackle boxes for their supplies)

My friend Anthony and I were chatting in the rear parking lot - this was long before it was a parking structure - and we heard several loud shots and ricochets like in cowboy movie sound effects. We turned around and saw a bullet hole in the rear quarterpanel of his S-10. LOL

My wife and I were walking from her studio out to my car to retrieve a shopvac I purchased for her studio. Over on Ferry Street I heard very loud clear concussions from an unnervingly large handgun. I routinely put Mrs Mauser on the ground in a protective posture behind a nearby van, and crouched over her to cover her from being hit. I counted out the shots until it sounded like the weapon was emptied, and we got up and continued on our way to the car without even discussing the event. Just another day at school, I guess.

One fellow student named Camille had created an art piece from a projectile that smashed through his window pane on New Years Eve and embedded itself in a doorjam next to his head. He encased the .225 caliber lead slug in a block of clear plastic, which he then made a pure lead base to display it. It was entitled "New Years Eve".

At another fellow students apartment we were treated to a Hollywood style chase scene one night, with one man chasing another man around a house repeatedly discharging a shotgun. We were on the roof a few hundred yards away from the former 13th precinct on Woodward.

Theres more, but you get the idea.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 141
Posted From: 68.61.194.191
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well Mauser be sure to warn the rest of us when u are on the street. you seem to be a gun violence magnet

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5325
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I hear gunshots, I take another shot.

<---here all week

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9721
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My friend Anthony and I were chatting in the rear parking lot - this was long before it was a parking structure - and we heard several loud shots and ricochets like in cowboy movie sound effects. We turned around and saw a bullet hole in the rear quarterpanel of his S-10. LOL

My wife and I were walking from her studio out to my car to retrieve a shopvac I purchased for her studio. Over on Ferry Street I heard very loud clear concussions from an unnervingly large handgun. I routinely put Mrs Mauser on the ground in a protective posture behind a nearby van, and crouched over her to cover her from being hit. I counted out the shots until it sounded like the weapon was emptied, and we got up and continued on our way to the car without even discussing the event. Just another day at school, I guess.

It is clear that Mauser maintains authenticity.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1766
Posted From: 68.209.118.72
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with this remains the question of raising a family in that type of environment. 9 out of 10 will choose not to. I'd even go as far as to say 9.75 out of 10. Allotting for that one family that chooses the city out of the love for it and the hope for it to succeed.

If you look for reasons as to why people move out, or refuse to move in, look no further than this being absolutely one of them.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1275
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with this is that this is no way to live.

Mrchills
Username: Mrchills

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 63.113.196.170
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never heard gunshots in a city in my life and I don't ever plan on it... If you live in a place where this happens that I feel sorry for you

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1513
Posted From: 4.229.123.15
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely agree with the last three posts.......what is not mentioned here is the stress created living in this environment and how it extracts a toll on people physically.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 633
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh-oh, then I'm glad I got out of GPP when I did. Heard a helluva lot more gunshots there than I do where I am now in Detroit...

Come on folks, I heard gunshots when I grew up in Royal Oak. If you listen close enough you're gonna hear them pretty much anywhere. Some people who have guns are stupid and like to shoot squirrels, some like to shoot beer cans, some like to shoot people, it all depends on the neighborhood.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 567
Posted From: 68.76.202.10
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...it all depends on the neighborhood."

Susanarosa says it best. I would not live in a neighborhood where I heard random gunfire, yet I live in Detroit. The two do not at all go hand-in-hand.

Supersport

Post Number: 9722
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

gun shots, rang out like a bell
I grabbed my 9 all I heard was shells
falling on the concrete real fast
jumped in my car, slammed on the gas
bumper to bumper, the avenue's packed
tryin' to get away before the jackers jacked
Police on the scene you know what I mean
They passed me up, confronted all the dope fiends
If there was a problem, yo I'll solve it
check out the hook while my dj revolves it

-Vanilla Ice

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8023
Posted From: 64.228.193.45
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet you wore the pants and checkered hairdo eh Sport?

Jeffrey_thomas
Username: Jeffrey_thomas

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as a detroiter with 46 years in I go out and see what's up, ya never hear the one that hits ya!

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1355
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MUSIC DEDICATIONS

(All in good fun.)
:-)

Our first song is dedicated to dial4hipster and the sweet sounds of angst and longing:

("The problem with this is that this is no way to live.")

I Want to Live

There are children raised in sorrow
On a scorched and barren plain
There are children raised beneath a golden sun
There are children of the water
Children of the sand
And they cry out through the universe
Their voices raised as one

I want to live I want to grow
I want to see I want to know
I want to share what I can give
I want to be I want to live

Have you gazed out on the ocean
Seen the breaching of a whale?
Have you watched the dolphins frolic in the foam?
Have you heard the song the humpback hears five hundred miles away
Telling tales of ancient history of passages and home?

For the worker and the warrior the lover and the liar
For the native and the wanderer in kind
For the maker and the user and the mother and her son
I am looking for my family and all of you are mine

We are standing all together
Face to face and arm in arm
We are standing on the threshold of a dream
No more hunger no more killing
No more wasting life away
It is simply an idea
And I know it’s time has come

~ Music and Lyrics by John Denver

Our next song is dedicated to Alexei with all our love:

("I mean... I like to carry a gun, and to me, instead of being scared of the guy that wants to shoot me, just make sure im the one who shoots him first... Time to stand up to it and get rid of some of these cockroaches that invade our neighborhoods. By the time they start dying off, the only ones left will be the law abiding citizens who walk quietly and carry big sticks.")

Rifleman

No one gave Mark McCain any trouble
they knew the rifleman was his pa
I saw Lucas on one of those quit smoking commercials once
It must be cool to have an iron jaw

Whatever happened to the riifleman
I’ve got a job for the rifleman

Whenever trouble came riding into North Fork
The fearful fair folk were never alone
The tall sodbuster let the bad guys make the first move
Shot’em full off lead, said “son, let’s go home”

Whatever happened to the riifleman
I’ve got a job for the rifleman

He really knew how to settle a score
Mercy knocks on the devil’s door
When I pray for peace and I revel in war
But I always wanted a shirt like Mark wore

He really knew how to settle a score
Mercy knocks on the devil’s door
When I pray for peace and I revel in war
But I always wanted a shirt like Mark wore

No one gave Mark McCain any trouble
they knew the rifleman was his pa
I saw Lucas on one of those quit smoking commercials once
It must be cool to have an iron jaw…

~ Music by Derri Daughtery / Lyrics by Steve Hindalong

Our next dedication goes out to mrchills and the gang that, uh, lives wherever he, uh, lives:

("I have never heard gunshots in a city in my life and I don't ever plan on it... If you live in a place where this happens that I feel sorry for you")

Resignation Superman

He'll come flying out of this town,
A resignation superman,
And today the bad guys win,
Cause he turned his cape in,
Now, he says,
And I'll turn my back on this world,
Yes I'll turn my eyes from this world,
Oh well...
Yes he's tired of fighting in this town,
All the suffering and vice,
He wants to fall in love,
Maybe settle in and live a life,
Oh I want to believe in you now that I'm suffering.
Oh lord, I need to receive your hand in my heart.
And he keeps an eye upon this town,
The resignation superman,
He'll keep himself amused,
With the evening news,
Oh my...
Now I broke my back on this world,
Now I'll wash my hands of this world,
Oh I want to believe in you now that I'm suffering.
Oh lord, I need to receive your hand in my heart.

~ Todd Park Mohr (Big Head Todd and the Monsters)

Next we have a dual dedication to those two crazy kids susanarosa and eric_c for gettin' out of the burbs:

("Uh-oh, then I'm glad I got out of GPP when I did. Heard a helluva lot more gunshots there than I do where I am now in Detroit... Come on folks, I heard gunshots when I grew up in Royal Oak. If you listen close enough you're gonna hear them pretty much anywhere. Some people who have guns are stupid and like to shoot squirrels, some like to shoot beer cans, some like to shoot people, it all depends on the neighborhood." / "Susanarosa says it best. I would not live in a neighborhood where I heard random gunfire, yet I live in Detroit. The two do not at all go hand-in-hand.")

Shine On You Crazy Diamond

Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Pile on many more layers and I’ll be joining you there.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
And we’ll bask in the shadow of yesterday’s triumph,
And sail on the steel breeze.
Come on you boy child, you winner and loser,
Come on you miner for truth and delusion, and shine!

~ lyrrics by Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)

Next we have a very special song going out to citylover who I'm sure is someone's very special person somewhere:

("...what is not mentioned here is the stress created living in this environment and how it extracts a toll on people physically.")

It's the End of the World As We Know It

That's great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes, an aeroplane -
Lenny Bruce is not afraid. Eye of a hurricane, listen to yourself churn -
world serves its own needs, don't misserve your own needs. Feed it up a knock,
speed, grunt no, strength no. Ladder structure clatter with fear of height,
down height. Wire in a fire, represent the seven games in a government for
hire and a combat site. Left her, wasn't coming in a hurry with the furies
breathing down your neck. Team by team reporters baffled, trump, tethered
crop. Look at that low plane! Fine then. Uh oh, overflow, population,
common group, but it'll do. Save yourself, serve yourself. World serves its
own needs, listen to your heart bleed. Tell me with the rapture and the
reverent in the right - right. You vitriolic, patriotic, slam, fight, bright
light, feeling pretty psyched.

It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

Six o'clock - TV hour. Don't get caught in foreign tower. Slash and burn,
return, listen to yourself churn. Lock him in uniform and book burning,
blood letting. Every motive escalate. Automotive incinerate. Light a candle,
light a motive. Step down, step down. Watch a heel crush, crush. Uh oh,
this means no fear - cavalier. Renegade and steer clear! A tournament,
a tournament, a tournament of lies. Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives
and I decline.

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

The other night I tripped a nice continental drift divide. Mount St. Edelite.
Leonard Bernstein. Leonid Breshnev, Lenny Bruce and Lester Bangs.
Birthday party, cheesecake, jelly bean, boom! You symbiotic, patriotic,
slam, but neck, right? Right.

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine...fine...
(It's time I had some time alone)

~ R.E.M.

And our final selection goes out to itsjeff, our very own reich marshall himself:

("If I hear gunshots, I take another shot. <---here all week")

Space Oddity

Ground Control to Major Tom
Take your protein pills and put your helmet on
Commencing countdown, engines on
Check ignition and may God's love be with you
Ten, Nine, Eight, Seven, Six, Five,
Four, Three, Two, One, Liftoff

This is Ground Control to Major Tom
You've really made the grade
And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare

This is Major Tom to Ground Control
I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating in a most peculiar way
And the stars look very different today

For here
Am I sitting in a tin can
Far above the world
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do

Though I'm past one hundred thousand miles
I'm feeling very still
And I think my spaceship knows which way to go
Tell me wife I love her very much she knows

Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you....

Here am I floating round my tin can
Far above the Moon
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do.

~ David Bowie

(Message edited by llyn on January 09, 2006)

Eric_c

Post Number: 569
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank-you, Llyn! It was lovely.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 635
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Llyn, I've never had a song dedicated to me before...*sniff*

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1263
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that this could one could also go out to Ms. Susanarosa:

The percentage you’re paying is too high priced
While you’re living beyond all your means
And the man in the suit has just bought a new car
From the profit he’s made on your dreams
But today you just read that the man was shot dead
By a gun that didn’t make any noise
But it wasn’t the bullet that laid him to rest was
The low spark of high-heeled [girls]

Xphillipjrx
Username: Xphillipjrx

Post Number: 110
Posted From: 68.75.240.133
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in the burbs, then went to college and then lived with my brother in Trolley Plaza. I heard a few shots when the Currency Exchange crowd was leaving, but I was not in too much danger up on the 26th floor. I was in my late 20's before I heard a shot from even that close.

I moved to Chicago and I heard three shots outside my window the FIRST NIGHT I spent in my new condo (Rogers Park). Then I did not hear a thing for the next three years I lived there.

Now I live in Hyde Park, a neighborhood my wife swore was a move up from Rogers Park and it's like the Wild West. Cops shot a guy who pulled a gun on them. A guy was shot dead in a card game gone (way) bad. Shots in our alley twice in the past week. A drive-by three weeks ago in broad daylight (54th & Drexel). I went outside and there was a guy laying there all twisted in a heap.

It's not even instinct yet to hit the floor. I'm still like, "WTF? What that a SHOT"?

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8026
Posted From: 64.228.193.45
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all those wannabe assholes out there....

I’m sitting in my room in your prison doin’ time
Bars on my windows ’cause you got so good at crime
Standing on the corner with nothing in your head
Shirt on your back and a gun in your pants
Thinking you’re the man but you’re only a stand in
Standing in line to be the next bad guy
I see what you do when you use what you got
But what do you do when you do what you want

You’re so civilized, you get brutalized
You’re so civilized, man: I watch you get hurt down

Getting your mind off some guy’s record
He makes his money off fools like you
Singing about killing like it ain’t no thing but
You do the time when you live it for real
Paying his way from your death row cell
You’re the last 1 to see, you got sold out
I hear you say you hate pigs so much then
Why the hell do you act like 1

I wonder what you’re like without the gun
I’d like to see when you’re not hiding behind the gun
How you’ve lived your life without the gun
’cause I know how I lived mine
Because you got one, yeah, ’cause that’s what it is
You hide behind your gun
You take life, you’re just another pig to me
You think you’re different but you’re just another pig
Yeah, a pig, yeah
You gotta have a gun then you’re just another pig to me
You think you’re different but you’re just another pig
You gotta have a gun, you’rea pig to me, just a pig to me
You gotta have a gun, you’re just another pig to me
You got a gun, you’re just anothe rpig

A gun in your hand makes a fool out of you, oh yeah
A gun in your hand makes a target out of me, oh no
Freedom, you ain’t no freedom, you want your freedom,
Your freedom is killing you man, freedom
You can’t handle your freedom, hey
And now you’re dying for it

-Henry Rollins (Rollins Band)

Susanarosa

Post Number: 636
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I believe that this could one could also go out to Ms. Susanarosa:

LOL, I was wondering where you were going with that Dabirch...

Welcome back by the way, see you soon?

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1173
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be glad you heard it, becuase it the silent bullett that kills.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3184
Posted From: 65.222.10.3
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This isn’t one of those occurrences where it could happen anywhere. It doesn’t. You never hear gunshots in the suburbs…there is just a different mentality out here. That doesn’t mean that murders and shootings do not happen in the burbs.

Eric_c

Post Number: 570
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullshit.

Neighborhood by neighborhood, Patrick, regardless of the fiefdom in which you individually reside. I'm glad however, you live in a neighborhood where one doesn't become acustomed to random gunshots.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 355
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullshit??

I have never once heard a gunshot here in the suburbs, except for the occasional shot from hunters in the woods, and a paintball gun maybe ha.

Eric_c

Post Number: 571
Posted From: 68.21.62.206
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Bullshit.

Neighborhood by neighborhood, MCM2026, regardless of the fiefdom in which you individually reside. I'm glad however, you live in a neighborhood where one doesn't become acustomed to random gunshots.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5326
Posted From: 68.42.168.211
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, a forrumite told me recently that he grew up in Sterling Heights and remembered hearing gunshots on NYE every year.

Eric_c

Post Number: 572
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over the years I've heard random shots in Westland, Wayne, Inkster, Garden City and Dearborn just to name a few places. NYE is an event in and of itself.

Supersport

Post Number: 9728
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ItsJeff,

Somebody who grew up in either Birmingham or Bloomfield hills (they all look the same to me) told me he personally took part in the firing of weaponry on new years. Same old shit, just a different city.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1514
Posted From: 4.229.123.63
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bull fucking shit......maybe we should rename this the masters of mitigation thread. When the average is one murder a day overwhelmingly by gunfire it stands to obviously reason that there is a lot, a whole hell of a lot of gunfire going on.

I never hear gunfire in AA.I am glad Hemmingway is gone because he obviously brought bad mojo to AA it seems anyting bad that could happen happened to him here........a bit ironic since I know people that have been here half a century and have never heard any gunshots but then we had no murders bullet caused or any other go figure.

Mrchills said it best when he wrote on this thread that he felt sorry for anyone that lived in that .

Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 582
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guns kill. Outlaw them - that's the only solution.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2978
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ghetto, I hate to retread the same old argument, but Canada has a very high gun ownership rate and nowhere near the amount (or rate, I should say) of murders, gunfire or otherwise. We are a violent people. Our violent culture needs to be the MAIN focus, not necessarily the means in which we express this violent culture.

Now, I agree that handguns only have one reason for existence, but you have to be realistic or risk being severly disappointed. That is not the solution, at least not in the immediate future. Handguns will become less and less of an issue when the reasons for people even feeling as if they have to have and/or use one are reduced greatly.

Johnnny5

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes outlaw them.. Because the first thing a criminal thinks of before shooting someone is "Is this legal?".

Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 583
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

We are a violent people

Which is why I say: Guns kill. Outlaw them - that's the only solution.
You haven't been able to change these people's attitude in several centuries, what makes you think you can do that in the future. There is no education of "safe" and responsible gun ownership, history and crime statistics in the US have proven that.

Mauser765

Post Number: 645
Posted From: 4.229.54.14
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

a forrumite told me recently that he grew up in Sterling Heights.....

I grew up in Sterling Heights, and owned my first house there- never once heard a gunshot. Not even on NYs eve. Barely even a notable crime rate at the time I moved out. Very boring place, we called it "Sterile Whites".

East Lansing and Lansing, THERES some f'ed up places.... I got robbed at gunpoint my first month there.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6366
Posted From: 205.158.100.138
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East Lansing? I would not have guessed that. I have been there many times and just always felt like it was a typical college town. Of course I don't know the area of East Lansing outside of the main Grand River area.

I just always figured the worst there was drunken kids being dumbasses and doing stupid drunken things.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1357
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to hear gunshots all the time when I lived in Southfield. I've heard shots maybe 2 or 3 times since I've lived in Detroit (for 3.5 years now). A friend of mine in Ferndale hears them all the time. She doesn't know if they're from Detroit or Ferndale or both.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 281
Posted From: 35.11.158.84
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Generally it is just drunken shit, but it seemed like in 03-04 every other week somone was being robbed at gun or knife point. I think a couple even happened in dorms.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 2979
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, who said he was robbed at gunpoint in East Lansing? He could have very easily been in one of the rougher areas of Lansing. It's still pretty rare here, and murder even less so (averaging abuot 10-12 a year, I wish it were lower). East Lansing registers a murder every-other-year or so, but rape is a big thing in East Lansing. It's really something college campuses try and sweep under the rug.

Paulj
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 321
Posted From: 70.233.5.240
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you know what... i grew up around guns...

they dont scare me... I know damn straight that if I hear gunshots, their not pointed at me because I really havent involved myself with a crowd that would really piss themselves off enough at me. I hear them alot when im looking at property or going to friends houses... but they really dont bother me...

**** end quote

don't kid yourself, kid. Take it from this peaceful, respectful dude thats never owned a gun: you can and could and if you live around here, probably will have a gun shot at or near you in a threatening way. been there & done that, and crushed my rose-colored glasses while running away from it.

I think those same words came out of my mouth back when I was young and idealistic about my move to Detroit. the joke was on me. there are plenty of unscrupulous, uneducated animals toting guns in this city. ask my co-worker who was shot while walking down his street by an unknown, unprovoked assailaint from a car, in the supposedly upscale university district.

(Message edited by paulj on January 09, 2006)

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 69.212.37.107
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man I live on the east side and I hear shots from time to time. If thier really close I call the cops and give them the area where it seems the shots originated. Am I the only one? I realize their response time will be long but their eventual presence might make the idiot who shot the gun think twice.

Mauser on any of those occations did anyone call the cops. Seems to me the only way to stop this crap is not run or hide , but be proactive . And stay away from the windows.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2613
Posted From: 136.181.195.17
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can hear gun shots from the north nearly every night. After 10 years, the only notable ones anymore are the sounds of the fully automatic weapons. Most are 2 or 3 pops, a pause and one or two in return. Every once in a while, though, I'll hear a whole shitload in a row.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 637
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have never once heard a gunshot here in the suburbs, except for the occasional shot from hunters in the woods, and a paintball gun maybe ha.

I think all of ya'll who say you've never heard a gunshot in the burbs (and as far as I know MCM2026, hunters shoot guns...) aren't listening close enough.

Peanut_breath
Username: Peanut_breath

Post Number: 101
Posted From: 66.73.225.162
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser, I lived in the Art Center neighborhood (E. Kirby) for three years. I heard gun shots once. I'm not saying that the incidents you spoke of didn't happen, just surprised. Perhaps the endless pheasant calls drowned out the gun shots?

Supersport

Post Number: 9732
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

East Lansing and Lansing, THERES some f'ed up places.... I got robbed at gunpoint my first month there.

Jesus man, you're a magnet for trouble!

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 607
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The problem with this remains the question of raising a family in that type of environment. 9 out of 10 will choose not to. I'd even go as far as to say 9.75 out of 10. Allotting for that one family that chooses the city out of the love for it and the hope for it to succeed.

I must be that 1 family for I am investing in the Detroit and very proud to be doing so.

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

....what do you do?

Probably move to Ann Arbor

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 883
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 5:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depressing thread.

Gunshots and violence are never okay, no matter where you live. I wouldn't want it around my home. I never want to have one pointed at me. I never want to be mugged.

Maybe I should move back to my hometown in Northern Idaho. Where everyone has guns and yet almost nobody ends up dead.....

Guns can be fun, even sporting, when used properly. I had a blast just this last weekend shooting clays. But I never wanna hear or see or experience the wrong kind of gun use in my life.

Remind me again why I am considering moving to Detroit?

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1290
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Six months ago I would have tried.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 904
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live by Selfridge....I don't hear gunshots, just mortar shells, usually every weekend morning. Kind of lends some authenticity when I'm reading the Iraq War news.

Eric_c

Post Number: 576
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome, you're considering moving here because the City of Detroit is 140 square miles and not everyone is shooting one another in every neighborhood.

Don't be like the people who claim there are no peaceful, quiet, totally 'normal' areas. There are a lot of places around town that are so quiet, you might actually have to go looking for trouble! Idaho it ain't, but I don't think that's what you're looking to find, anyway.

Paulj
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 322
Posted From: 70.228.57.193
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jerome, wanna just swap residences and get it over with? I'm a life-long Detroiter looking to GTFO of the city & head to a mountain state.

Mauser765

Post Number: 647
Posted From: 4.229.27.140
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Peanut, not sure when you lived there - but that neighborhood like many others has changed dramatically in the last ten years. I was down there from 1989 until 1997. (The period in which I earned my degree was 1990-1995). The change is certainly for the better. I could tell a dozen more stories, but that would start to sound more grim than is necessary. Jeez, when I was at CCS the damn security guard chief was beaten and robbed ! And the sad truth is, first dead body I ever saw with my own eyes was on Ferry Street. (other than in anatomy class)

I think the development in that area has done wonders as far as safety goes.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 169
Posted From: 69.242.215.65
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_c, well said.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 68.2.191.57
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There are a lot of places around town that are so quiet,...

I'd really like to visit those areas but I've lost touch. Are there any crime stats maps available on the web that track such things? Sincerely.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6386
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly no. There was a freep article about shooting from about a year ago but DPS does not post anything that really shows crime by area.

Local people can get updates by going to DPS community meetings but the web offers nothing from DPD.

Jimaz

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bummeroni with cheese. Such a map might help Detroit tourism.

Eric_c

Post Number: 577
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Jimaz, whenever you're ready, I'll give you a drive 'round. We'll start in my neighborhood where I'll introduce you to our wonderful neighbors (you out there, Jmil?), then go from East to West and listen to the quiet!

Stipes
Username: Stipes

Post Number: 23
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It makes me sad to hear about how things can change,,but dont...I mean as I always love to get online and relax and read what all my brothers and sisters have to say about the wonderfull city you live in...I seen alot of wonderfull pictures on here...Seems like there is so much to do in Detroit,,but for people getting shot,,you wonder where it all started....
Lexington Ky. is the biggist city I live near..Just one third of a pop.of Detroit...Around 150,000 people...24 murders last year,,not all by guns,,but 3 people was killed by strangers,,the rest from relationships,,,drug deals,,friends gone bad...Anyways..
If I was to pull out a gun in Lexington,,,I would be on the ground before I could get a round off,,and maybe thats where you all need to stand up to the city Gov. with more police and not laying them off...Maybe everyone should get involved with a neighborhood patrol workin with your police and do something...I'm not tryin to tell you how to live your life,,but as we say down south,,if you dont like it,,,do something about it....Get involved,,and stop sittin around lookin for someone else with the answers...
I pray for 2006 to be better for all of us and peace and love to all....

Jimaz

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Eric_c. I might just take you up on that sometime after March.

Shame there's no crime stats map. The official DPD page has a crime stats link but it's 404.

Eric_c

Post Number: 578
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ecriteser@hotmail.com, when you're ready, J.

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 69.212.37.107
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI I haven't heard any shots since new years. I just wanted to Emphasize it's not like Dodge city in alot of Detroit neighborhoods. Still supprised to see no one calls the cops.

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 366
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stipes- Detroit has more than 450k residents, closer to double that...

Susanarosa--Thanks, I didnt know that hunters shot guns. Probably good to know! And, I hear just fine...no gunshots round here.

Johnnny5

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motorcity, There are plenty of gunshots to be heard this time of year on the "Westside" (Of Brighton). I was out there 2 weeks ago and went through at least 10 rounds. Came home with 3 furry critters to show for it.
On a serious note the only time I have ever seen actual human/human gun fire was on 696 at Woodward ave (Royal Oak I think). I was coming home from work at about midnight when 2 cars passed me doing about 120 with one of them firing away out the passengers side window. They pulled off at Woodward without even hitting the brakes. Called the police a few exits up and they said they were on it, but I never heard anything about it on the news?

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 367
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha is brighton big enough to have a "west side"

Johnnny5

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stand corrected I was in Howell, they just call it Brighton Rec.

http://www.michigandnr.com/par ksandtrails/ParksandTrailsInfo .aspx?id=438

Jimaz

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In case it helps, HF radio scanners are available for monitoring police frequencies, etc. In Michigan, mobiles are illegal but handhelds and base stations are legal. Their prices have dropped substantially over the last few years. I'm not sure whether DPD is trunked so a trunk-tracking scanner may be necessary.

Whenever I hear a gunshot, or even a siren, I turn on a scanner and hear firsthand what the police say/hear. It works better/faster than waiting for the sanitized news on commercial TV/radio.

You can intercept all kinds of other inside info from other organizations, from fast-food joints to construction contractors.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1434
Posted From: 69.214.178.214
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...I thank Kwame for cutting DPD staffing levels.

Where would Detroit be without lots of gun violence?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.