Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » The worst and best Super Bowl scenario « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2405
Posted From: 205.188.116.201
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Scenario.....

The best worst scenario would be a Super Bowl between Indianapolis Colts Vs. Chicago Bears

Why?

- Both Cities are less than a 5 hour drive from Detroit

- Both cities have big rivalries with Detroit
(Pacers, Bulls)

- Both have Black Coaches (an NFL super bowl first)

- Both have crazy fan base ready to travel up for a day

- Best NFL offense vs. NFL defense

- An All-Midwest Super Bowl?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 802
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good game and attendance, but I can already see the tv ratings tanking

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2146
Posted From: 66.167.58.137
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love that one Zulu. It would be dream contest.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1394
Posted From: 69.212.231.115
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 5:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The worst scenario has past. The Lions aren't in the playoffs. Do you know how much money would have been lost if they were in the Super Bowl? Probably half of what is expected.

Has there ever been a Super Bowl in which one of the teams playing is playing in their own city? I can only imagine the Miami Dolphins or one of the California teams playing in the LA Coliseum or the Rose Bowl. Who's got the 411?

Audible_nectar
Username: Audible_nectar

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 12.214.103.152
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The San Francisco 49ers played Super Bowl XIX (Nineteen) against the Miami Dolphins at Stanford Stadium in Palo Alto, California. Not the 49ers home stadium (Candlestick Park/Monster/whatever megacorp has naming rights these days is the 49ers home park), but Palo Alto is a "suburb" in the Bay Area, and was basically a home game environment for the 49ers.

Also, the Los Angeles Rams played the Pittsburgh Steelers at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena for Super Bowl XIII. Again, not a home game, but in the home area. I cannot speak for tourism, but I do know that it was one of the toughest tickets of the earlier Super Bowls.

If Chicago and Indy get to Detroit, that will be HUGE: for scalpers, for Detroit, as well as TV ratings. As far as TV goes, Indy will bring national interest because of that high flying offense - and Manning in particular, and the Bears because of the size of the market. As far as Detroit visitors go, both of those teams are good news because those fans can all drive to the festivities.

The AFC is stacked as such that all teams still in the tourney are good for Detroit business: Indy, New England, Pittsburgh, and Denver would all be good for biz, because of proximity, fanbase size, or both. None of these will be fazed by weather, either. Denver is distant, but they will bring fans en masse - huge and HUNGRY fanbase. In the NFC, Chicago and Washington are best for Detroit biz, again because of proximity and fanbase size. Seattle and Carolina will be "not so good" - Carolina because they do not have the size of fanbase older franchises do, Seattle because of the distance - there are only so many planes going into Detroit for Super Bowl week. Driving is less of an option for the Seattle folks - and therefore might not be so good for Detroit - albeit pretty good for TV ratings (top seeds usually are).

Best scenarios for Detroit are Chicago or Washington in the NFC - just about any AFC team is good, at this point. I would speculate that New England would be "the least" to flock to Detroit, because this would be their fourth Super Bowl in 5 years - and most of the "playboys" from the Boston area have done this before - in warm weather to boot. But all AFC possibilities are good overall.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1396
Posted From: 69.212.231.115
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Audible.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3354
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Zulu'z assessment, however there area few other nuances that are possible that also make great scenarios for maximum local economic impact. Last night I was commiserating with a bartender in a mostly empty bar downtown that there seems to be no local interest in who plays here when the teams playing will have a significant impact on the number of day trippers crowding downtown bars.

I was really hoping for Manning V. Manning for the media hype and the draw of the massive New York market, but that ain't happening.

NFC:
Washington is a larger market than Chicago and has a huge national fan base that I would imagine could outdraw Chicago locally and on television so they would be a great game against New England, Pitt or Indy. But Chitown has the intangibles Zulu notes in a game against Indy. Either are fine by me.

Carolina is a relatively small market but is doable in a one day drive, Seattle would be the absolute worst. Small market, have to fly...bleah....great team that might get some good national TV draw.

AFC:
Indy is a great draw for the local drive market, somewhat better than Pitt, but Pitt fans are very rabid, are used to cold and would just as easily drive the 6 - 7 hours as Indy fans would drive the 4 - 5 hours. Indy has the edge on the Dungy feel good, win one for the Gipper feel. Pitt would have the Bus playing in his home town, last game, lots of gauzy film effect retrospectives, equate the blue collar Detroit work ethic to the Bus grind it out style documentary type potential yadda yadda yadda. Its a toss up for me.

NE is good with a huge and loyal fan base, most less than a 12 hour drive, are not afraid of cold weather but may be a bit burnt out. Folks who headed to Jacksonville last year may not be as enamored with Detroit...strong burn out potential

Denver....bleah - smallish market, not much of a story, 18 - 20 hour drive...

Worst case scenario is Seattle v. Denver.

Any combo of Indy, Pitt, NE v. Wash or Chi. will be good.

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2406
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the worst combo would be Seattle Vs. New England

- Far Northwest Vs. Far North East
- Martha's Vinyard vs. Starbucks
- Microsoft vs. Staples
- Harvard vs. U of Washington
- Bill Gates vs. The Kennedy's
- Lands End vs. Brooks Brothers
- Enviornmentalism vs.Intellecetualism

Jimelnino
Username: Jimelnino

Post Number: 320
Posted From: 70.236.161.240
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Listen, its the Super Bowl, and the NFL, markets don't matter.

I dont know if you guys realize what a huge buisiness the NFL is, the TV contract that the league has with every network that broadcasts NFL programming pays for every teams salary (combined) and then some. Short of having the Giants or Jets play a non-existent LA team, I don't think you'll see much difference in the ratings one way or another. In fact the most watched Super Bowl ever was the one in 98 which was Denver vs. Green Bay.

And as far as people coming here, its gonna be a crazy spectacle anyway, honestly I dont think average Joe Steelers fan who comes with his buddies up here is gonna make a huge difference. But I agree with Skulkers assessment on who would be best to come here, and I also agree that Seattle vs. Denver would probably be the worst case scenario, but even then it wouldnt be a catastrophe or anything.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5211
Posted From: 209.216.150.127
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to see Pittsburgh make it. Imagine Jerome Bettis finishing off his career playing in the superbowl in his hometown...

Alobar
Username: Alobar

Post Number: 102
Posted From: 198.208.159.17
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed.

GO STEELERS!

Funkycarrie
Username: Funkycarrie

Post Number: 118
Posted From: 69.208.32.222
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pray for a miracle next weekend against Indy and we're set.

GO STEELERS!

Skulker

Post Number: 3356
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And as far as people coming here, its gonna be a crazy spectacle anyway, honestly I dont think average Joe Steelers fan who comes with his buddies up here is gonna make a huge difference.

Agreeed, it will be a crazy spectacle for the folks with "access". There will be the usual celebrity people & the usual connected business people all of whom would attend the game regardless of where it was held. I think there will likely be a much larger contigent of "normal people" driving 5 up in a minivan, sleeping cramped in a hotel room and partying in the downtown depending who is in the game...a five hour road trip to Detroit for a Colts fan is very different than a $1,000 plane ticket or 36 drive to LA for the same fan.

And it is these types of fans that will have a meaningful impact on the City during the game, during the Fri - Sat lead up to the game and that will lend more of a carnival atmosphere because they are here for THEIR team and the party, not just the party....they will also be the folks most likely to come back for future visits when their teams (football, basketball, baseball, hockey) play Detroit if they see it is not the shithole popular media tells them...If we can get a significant boost for more out of town attendance at Detroit games, all the better...that will be a huge score for Detroit.

Rockcity2windycity
Username: Rockcity2windycity

Post Number: 23
Posted From: 68.40.139.237
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Washington is not a bigger market than Chicago. There are 10 million people in the 7 county area surrounding Chicago. And they pull people from the northwest Indiana area and from the Milwaukee area which is only an hour and a half away. Chicago is a top five market. I think only L.A., New York, and Philly are bigger. Washington has a nice national base but their national base isn't bigger than chicago's regional base. Chicago would be a huge draw. Everybody watches the Superbowl so i wouldn't worry about the T.V. ratings.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1731
Posted From: 207.69.137.35
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RC2WC.... I agree Chicago is larger than Washington. They like to include Baltimore into the Washington statistics, but then again Chicago includes Milwaukee and chunks of Indiana. Hell... Metro-Detroit should have included Windsor, Flint and Toledo (we already include Ann Arbor) cuz they're only an hour away.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 881
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 5:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best Case:

Bears Steelers.

Don't underestimate the national fan base of those two teams.

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2416
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Bears Steelers matchup would be interesting as it would ignite a HUGE Detroit reaction, in lieu of the BUS. Jerome Bettis would draw out the Steelers fans in Detroit and make instant Steeler fans out of most of us for his loyalty for Detroit.

Pittsburgh, being a short 6-7 hours away, would also see that average fan drive in to augment the weekend.

It would still be Midwest Superbowl. An all blue collar superbowl

A Chicago-Pittsburgh Super Bowl would be a hugh boon for Detroit.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2288
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what are your predictions for the Super Bowl?

I think Steelers/ Bears....

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 71
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does the scenario as to the two teams involved really matter? How many SB tickets (if any) are reserved for fans from the two cities? Aren't a fair number of the tickets reserved for the two teams (and the hosting city) usually issued through various media promotions for those communities?

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1433
Posted From: 69.214.178.214
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best case scenario:
The Hilton sisters decide not to visit here afterall.

Worst case scenario:
They decide to move here.

Audible_nectar

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Does the scenario as to the two teams involved really matter? How many SB tickets (if any) are reserved for fans from the two cities? Aren't a fair number of the tickets reserved for the two teams (and the hosting city) usually issued through various media promotions for those communities?"

Yes, it matters.

First, some of the fans of the teams do get tickets. 17.5% of the tickets for the game will go to EACH participating team. That works out to about 12,000 tickets for each of the two teams - some of which will go to season ticket and suite holders of those teams.

Second, many fans will buy tickets on the secondary market. It would surprise you to find out how many "middle class" fans end up in the game. For many, seeing their team in the Super Bowl is once in a lifetime - so many people of more modest/middle income means will make the trip.

Third is the fans who will make the trip just for the party - or in hopes of scoring a ticket once they are in town. There were tens of thousands of fans in Jax last year who realized, once there, that there was no chance of getting a ticket (they were 3500+ on gameday), but they were still there in HUGE numbers - especially the Philly fans. They were no less festive, even without tickets.

It affects Detroit's profitability/success if certain teams do get in that will bring huge numbers of fans. Demographics and geography play a much bigger role than you would think. The ticketed fans are only a PART of the equation - it's the "overflow" that makes this an additional success for the city.

And I do agree - Pittsburgh vs. Chicago would be HUGE.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some cities obviously "travel" better. UW and Iowa probably got better football bowls this season over UM on account of the $ that Wisconsinites have spent in the past bowls they're had. Iowa also travels well.

But of course, for the SB, the adage "$ talks and BS walks" won't affect which teams play here.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on January 11, 2006)

Funkycarrie
Username: Funkycarrie

Post Number: 122
Posted From: 69.208.32.222
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Steelers are going to need a miracle on Sunday to continue on....
but I sure hope it happens.

but either Colts/Steelers would be awesome for Detroit.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 464
Posted From: 66.189.188.28
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best? Anything that involves a Seattle Seahawk victory. Simple as that....

Lilpup

Post Number: 811
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GO STEELERS!!

GO BEARS!!

(this might be a long day)

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dream: Pittsburg vs. anybody with 'the Bus' rumbling ten yards into the endzone, knocking over several opponents like bowling pins, to win in overtime. Hometown hero Jerome Bettis wins it on the world's biggest stage for the day in his final career game.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 259
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the bus is having a superbowl party feb 2 at the majestic http://www.majesticdetroit.com /theater.asp#

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just as with the All-Star Game, I don't detect any real interest for the SB in my neighborhood, regardless who's playing. Myself, as usual, I'll probably just watch the game for the commercials.

As for the ads, they're supposed to be tamed down considerably from those of the previous two years...

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 75
Posted From: 24.176.50.206
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bus is one step closer....looking very interesting. Lets go Bears!!!

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 496
Posted From: 24.193.39.60
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All in all, it really doesn't matter who ends up in the Super Bowl, or where the teams originate from, geographically. It could be teams from opposite coasts, and it wouldn't matter where the SB is. Wherever it happens year-to-year, every seat is sold, and every bar stool in town is occupied (with 50 people behind it screaming for drinks!). The Super Bowl has no regional appeal -- it has the unique attraction of being a party for the USA: football fans or not, sports fans or not, etc. It's simply a party that everyone (who wants to be in the 'thick of it') wants to go to, and will pay top-dollar for, regardless of who's playing.
Whether the Super Bowl matchup is bi-coastal, or regional midwest, it won't make a cent of difference in the amount of revenue that Detroit sees at the end of the proverbial day. There are only just so many tickets and hotel rooms to go around, and they will ALL be taken, come game day.

That said, this will be an AWESOME event for Detroit!
I, along with the rest of the nation, will be watching.

/Feeling some serious pangs of hometown pride
//Praying for no snow (a'la 1982)
///Hoping to add something positive to my general talk-up of Detroit to hopelessly jaded New Yorkers
////Even after nearly 11 years in NYC...still a Detroiter at heart
////Shamelessly lovin' the 'slashies': //////////////////!

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2433
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For Jerome.......

============================== ====================
The wheels on the bus go round and round,
round and round,
round and round.
The wheels on the bus go round and round,
all through the town.

The wipers on the bus go Swish, swish, swish;
Swish, swish, swish;
Swish, swish, swish.
The wipers on the bus go Swish, swish, swish,
all through the town.

The horn on the bus goes Beep, beep, beep;
Beep, beep, beep;
Beep, beep, beep.
The horn on the bus goes Beep, beep, beep,
all through the town..

The money on the bus goes, Clink, clink, clink;
Clink, clink, clink;
Clink, clink, clink.
The money on the bus goes, Clink, clink, clink,
all through the town.

The Driver on the bus says "Move on back,
move on back, move on back;"
The Driver on the bus says "Move on back",
all through the town.

The baby on the bus says "Wah, wah, wah;
Wah, wah, wah;
Wah, wah, wah".
The baby on the bus says "Wah, wah, wah",
all through the town.

The mommy on the bus says "Shush, shush, shush;
Shush, shush, shush;
Shush, shush, shush."
The mommy on the bus says "Shush, shush, shush"
all through the town.
============================== ====================

Bring the Bus to Detroit !!!!!

Audible_nectar

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Whether the Super Bowl matchup is bi-coastal, or regional midwest, it won't make a cent of difference in the amount of revenue that Detroit sees at the end of the proverbial day."

Disagree.

It DOES matter. Trust me on this one: As an experienced Super Bowl attendee, I can tell you that it isn't just the "ticketed" that matters, but it's the OVERFLOW that adds $$$$ to local business coffers. Especially true if the game is within short driving distance.

Yes, the tickets will sell, and the hotels within 45-60 minutes will mostly be sold no matter who plays. But 50,000 additional people in the area, over and above the norm, is what really makes this a boon for the Detroit area. And let me tell you - if Pittsburgh wins on Sunday, there will be THOUSANDS who will come to the "D" without tickets. Those people are rabid - and they'll spend big $$$ on tickets, too (much more than most Seattle fans will pay, that's for sure). They also have a national and entrenched fanbase, and they travel very well.

Trust me on this one: The "powers that be" who are planning this shindig want Pittsburgh to win on Sunday. They would never publicly admit it, but privately they know the drill. Pittsburgh will bring LOTS of people. This is also reflected in the resale prices of Super Bowl tickets on Ebay - Steeler fans are stocking up now, because they know that the secondary market prices will increase with a Steeler win on Sunday. If it's Seattle and Denver, for example, this would appear to be an "average year" for secondary market tickets - $1500-$1700 tickets will be the norm from brokers. If Pittsburgh gets in, you'll be looking at $2500, because there will be more buyers chasing the same amount of tickets.

Lilpup

Post Number: 816
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

too bad Chicago lost - gotta go with the Panthers to replace them

GO STEELERS!

GO PANTHERS!

here's hopin'

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5399
Posted From: 70.200.174.34
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is going to be interesting.

Steelers/Seahawks.

I'm going for the Steelers...gotta stick with that midwest solidity.

Just got my confirmation...I'm going to the game.

I'm in shock. (just one more thing to get the kids at 'fudge to hate me more...)

Whole lotta hatred going on, my cousin is a rabid Steeler's fan living in Seattle...so she has to pass some of that negative lovin' onto ME for going.

Skulker

Post Number: 3440
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Whether the Super Bowl matchup is bi-coastal, or regional midwest, it won't make a cent of difference in the amount of revenue that Detroit sees at the end of the proverbial day."

Disagree.

It DOES matter. Trust me on this one: As an experienced Super Bowl attendee, I can tell you that it isn't just the "ticketed" that matters, but it's the OVERFLOW that adds $$$$ to local business coffers. Especially true if the game is within short driving distance.

Thank you A_N for confirming what many of us have been surmising.

Could you imagine how crazy this townm would have been with Bears - Steelers?

Jimelnino
Username: Jimelnino

Post Number: 325
Posted From: 68.79.103.87
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah this will be cool. When I was at the auto show on thursday there were tons of people wearing Steelers jerseys, I'm guessing they all took a bus up here or something. I expect a huge number of them to turn out, its gonna be like a Steelers home game with all the hometown people rooting for them too (I'm guessing anyway).

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2326
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow how about I saw a pair of tickets on ebay with a face value of 600 dollars, now have the bid up to damn near 4THOUSAND dollars?

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 97
Posted From: 66.88.89.94
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, a Chicago-Pittsburgh Super Bowl matchup in Detroit would have been an impressive display of Midwest party power.

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 665
Posted From: 69.212.62.92
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's a lot o' beer bellies and mullets!!!

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 615
Posted From: 136.2.1.103
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Super Fan overload! Every Sausage place in the city would be taken over. Eastern Market wouldn't know what to do!

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2206
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, hey, hey... My ^^^dream scenario is still alive.

quote:

Dream: Pittsburg vs. anybody with 'the Bus' rumbling ten yards into the endzone, knocking over several opponents like bowling pins, to win in overtime. Hometown hero Jerome Bettis wins it on the world's biggest stage for the day in his final career game.

Marelis
Username: Marelis

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 207.148.209.238
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This article made my eyes well up...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060123/SPO RTS1101/601230418/1026/FEATURE S

I can't believe it's almost here! I am so excited, even if I can't get in to most of the parties. :-)

Audible_nectar

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skulker, from what I'm seeing of the secondary ticket market, my assumptions are proving correct.

The secondary ticket market is a good "gauge" of the traffic and "market" for other Super Bowl related goods - which is to say, that if the secondary ticket market is rising, there is much interest in the game - and that means there are a helluvalotta people headed your way.

To give you an idea: The market stood at about $1700-1900 per ticket before the conference championships were played. This was based on the two favorites (Seattle/Denver) winning those games, and the ticket brokers' prognostications on the willingness of those fans to pay, based on prior sales experience and inquiries. When Pittsburgh won the AFC championship game, the asking prices for Super Bowl from brokers shot up $300-400 IMMEDIATELY - before the NFC Championship had even been played. As of this evening, many of those lower priced tickets (upper level endzones) are SOLD from many brokerages, and the asking prices continue to rise for remaining seats, as fans purchase those seats from brokers. My guess (barring bad weather/snow/ice storm) is that tickets will be over $3K each for "get ins" by kickoff.

Any ideas that this Super Bowl would be "an easier ticket", "lower interest game vs. others", or "a relatively down year" for Super Bowl just got shot in the hiney - by virtue of the Pittsburgh Steelers' win on Sunday. I expect the city of Detroit to be flooded with Steeler Black and Gold.

Remember: For the Steelers last Super Bowl (Super Bowl XXX, ten years ago in Tempe), the place was 2/3 Steeler fans. And that was against DALLAS. And that was in ARIZONA. Consider that Pittsburgh is that close to the "D", and how well those fans travel, and I think, barring bad weather, that Detroit can lay to rest worries about this game being a success.

Had Chicago made it in, it might have been "too much". From what I saw in Jax last year, one popular team was all that was needed to fill every hotel, henhouse and outhouse in north Florida.

And the Seattle contingent will be represented, too - but will be dwarfed by the Steeler throng.

Are you ready for Super Bowl week???????

One4dathumb
Username: One4dathumb

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 24.131.95.229
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 4:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all, how are Yinz doing and nat????????

No we dont all talk like that, but some of the older old school folks do, so dont be surprized.

I have been reading these posts and finally got an account.

Because here we come......
Steeler Nation is upon your town.

Since the Monday following the Denver Massacre, not a hotel room within 60 miles, no tickets under 3k, and you caoud not even rent an RV in a 4 hour radius.

Most of these posts are right on, I know people who have rented 3, 50 passenger buses and guess what....they dont even have tickets. They are recerving tables at sports bars such as the Spectatium in nearby Troy, MI.

Luckily I called a RV rental place in Cleveland, yes Cleveland. The clerk just got off the phone with a guy whose wife was not letting him go to the game, so I luckily got to rent his 25' RV. He also said that he has been directing people to a Rental place in Cinci.

So 6 of us are driving to Cleveland, picking up the RV and heading to Detroit. I have been looking for a place top go and watch the game, hopefully reserving a table, but I am clueless as where to go.

So ia am asking you guys for some advice.......

First is there anywhere to park a 25' RV in Detroit, hopefully around all the action?

Second, Where is there a cool place for a bunch of 27-30 yo single guys/chicks to hang out and watch the games?

9 out of 10 people in Detroit will be in Black and Gold. Go Steelers!!!!

Any advice is appreciated.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 776
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 4:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the board and give us a minute..a list will be generated shortly.

I am not sure about the RV...but I am sure someone will come up with an answer for you.

Audible_nectar

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One4dathumb-

On RV parking:

My suggestion is to start checking ticket brokers. Most of the nearby downtown parking (especially RV size) will be pre-reserved, and hard to find. I haven't seen RV specific passes yet (I only have a car) - but have been shopping for a "reserved" parking pass - to avoid hassles on gameday.

Question for the board: If you were from out of town and coming to the game, would you spend $80 to make sure you had a nearby place to park (two blocks from Ford Field)?

Here's some info I ran into while sifting through Super Bowl stuff on Ebay - I have no specific "connection" here - but judging from your question on the parties, this "party" might be an option for you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEELERS-S UPERBOWL-PARTY-HARRY-SPORTS-BA R-DOWNTOWN-DET_W0QQitemZ660031 1283QQcategoryZ16122QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

It sounds like a local bar - should be easy enough to verify the auction, if it helps you out in any way.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1582
Posted From: 4.229.123.245
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Offcially there are no RV parking areas.

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 72
Posted From: 209.114.251.65
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the RV might be a bit of a problem. My understanding is that there is no designated place for RV parking downtown. You almost need to have a car along with your RV. With the car you can get downtown and/or drive to one of the designated shuttle bus areas. You will want to be downtown where the action is for the majority of the weekend.

I have always heard that Walmart allows RVs to use their parking lots. There is a Walmart in Troy that happens to share a parking lot with a decent chain sports bar called Bailey's--nicer than Spectadium. They sent me an email about their Superbowl party that I have copied below.

Bailey's info:
Come Join Us for the Biggest Game of the year!

Join us Sunday, February 5th for the best seat in the house to watch the biggest game of the year in our own hometown of Detroit! Reserve your VIP table, which will include: Wings, Chips & Salsa, Pizza, and our Coors Light Mini Commemorative Super Bowl Kegs for $250 (10 people per table, $25 per person). We will also be offering an All You Can Eat Super Buffet in our Private Party room, which will include: Wings, Spinach Dip, Billiard Sticks, Pizza, and Chip & Salsa for $15 per person.

Contact Colleen Lazar to reserve your space today! Limited availability for the VIP package and limited space available for the Private Party room.
248-435-3044 Phone
800-229-2118 x5070 Voicemail
clazar@fhrg.com Email

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5435
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One4,

I have NO idea what their plans are, or what the space is officially reserved for, but you may want to call the Eastern Market...site of the extensive collection of local maniacs tailgating for every Lions game.

They can be reached at info@easternmarket.org.

Please let us know what you learn.

It is about ONE MILE from the stadium and although I'm sure it'll cost you would be well worth it...as long as Homeland Security hasn't cordoned it off for their operations.

I've heard NOTHING about what they're doing with their space yet...

Rms
Username: Rms

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 141.211.114.43
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too was at a loss when I saw all of the park and ride options - only WSU and City Airport as in-city options. How could Eastern Market have been left out of the mix? It's used regularly for the Lion's games. Maybe you're right Gannon. It could be a (Homeland) security issue. I did notice on the MDOT site that Gratiot closes down on game day (but how far out???) One could still get out of the market to downtown via Mack.

One4dathumb
Username: One4dathumb

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 24.131.95.229
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are awesome!!!!!!!!

Please keep the great info coming if you can.

That party link looks like as good option.

Audible_nectar

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's another bit of info (regarding the RV):

http://detroit.craigslist.org/ tix/128900580.html

This states:

"I don't think that SuperBowl officials are familiar with how Pittsburgh fans like to go to away games. They will not permit RV parking at superbowl-controlled lots. As a result, the city is receiving so many calls they are (as of 1/26/06 at noon EST) having a meeting to decide what to do. You can call 313.967.1600 and request to speak with Troy Howard to find local parking for your RV. One lot that is currently taking reservations for RV is Park Rite. 313.965.7275. They are 6 blocks from Ford Field. See you all there. Here we go Steelers!"

Hope that helps you some......

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.