Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Eric Namesnik (UM&Olympic Swimmer) Passes « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 886
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many here might not have heard of Eric, or may not really care, but his life is worth remembering.

I met Eric at age 13 at the Wolverine summer swim camp. At that time, he was a recent olympian in Barcelona, and to a 13 year old kid, a real fascination. I then got to know his kindness, work ethic, and love for swimming during that week. Someone whom I looked up to as an athlete became a person I could respect outside the pool. I really got a glimpse when I became ill after working with him and he spent time with me to ensure I would be fine; without it ever seeming like he had something better to do or somewhere else to be. He became the swimmer I tried to emulate, in both the way I look at life, the way I treat others, and the way I approached swimming. Even after 12 years he was always the behind-the-scenes guy I respected the most.

He leaves behind a wife and two young children. I ask that you think of his life and his family. The swimming world lost one of its greats, and everyone else lost a wonderful person.

Brings tears to my eyes....even 12 years later. He will always have a place in my heart.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060112/SPO RTS17/601120532

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060112/S PORTS0201/601120337/1004/SPORT S

Urban_shocker
Username: Urban_shocker

Post Number: 245
Posted From: 68.248.7.192
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the guy well from the Atlanta games. Plenty of M pride in those races with Tom Dolan.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4639
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know a couple people who knew Eric personally, and from hearing them tell stories about him the past couple days, it's clear he really was the true spirit of the Olympian in every sense of the word. It seems like every athlete he touched was not only a better competitor because of him, but vicariously a better human being. A great person, and a great swimmer. Really tragic. I remember watching him and Tom Dolan in those Olympics and how cool it was that there were two guys from UM winning medals.

Aaron
Username: Aaron

Post Number: 103
Posted From: 69.241.224.171
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took two classes taught by his wife in the statistics department--a very nice lady. Sad to see something like this happen to them.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 610
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Truly a great Olympian and person. I, too, remember the match with Dolan. It is very sad to see this happen to such a wonderful athlete. Our prayers are with his family.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.