Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Sanders/Donovan ['Motown' Building] Demolition timeline » Motown during Donovan « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 152
Posted From: 69.213.205.102
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To all you who know much more about this than me. Let's change the debate a little regarding the significance of the Donovan Building.

What is the significance of Motown Records culturally during the time it was at the Donovan...late 1960's - 1970's? When did Motown have their offices there exactly? What would have been the records coming out during that time? What kind of decisions were made there? Who walked through those doors and rode those elevators?

Based on anecdotal evidence and some online photos, the inside of the building looks trashed (in places), but pretty intact. What kinds of documents would be there from that time? Is there stuff that the Motown Foundation, Henry Ford or Smithsonian would be interested in? Pay stubs? Personal letters or other correspondence? What about other objects of interest to an archivist or biographer? Are there recordings that exist in some primitive state that could be revelatory in some way? Was there ever an inventory of the materials in the building? Should there be?

Would the press be interested in the loss of these resources?

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 673
Posted From: 4.229.69.4
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are NO "recordings" in Donovan. All master tapes of all Motown recordings are in tact and in one collection.

Currently there are NO documents in the building, everything is in bags in the asbestos dumpsters. That is, anything left over after years of people removing stuff before the demolition.

If Motown were interested in any of the documents left in that building they would have came and got them over the last 30 years. Trust me when I say, anything interesting or important has "left the building".

As for the Motown story, Im not being snotty here - get a book. Its a long complicated interesting story, especially if you are into business management.

The most important album recorded bewteen 1968 and 1974 was Marvin Gayes "Whats Goin On". The single was recorded, I believe, in 1970, and the album followed that up in 71.

Voted "Best Album of All time" by Rolling Stone Magazine and mauser765. Bob Babbit and James Jamerson absolutely SMOKE on that album !

Best line - from "Inner City Blues (make me wanna holler)" :

"Makes me wanna holler
They way they do my life
Makes me wanna holler
They way they do my life
This aint livin
No, no, no."

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 154
Posted From: 69.213.205.102
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for your insight Mauser. I appreciate it. What book on Motown would you suggest reading?

Mauser765

Post Number: 675
Posted From: 4.229.123.211
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dancing in the Street: Motown and the Cultural Politics of Detroit
by Suzanne E Smith

MOTOWN: by Gerald Posner (for the basic Motown business story)

Then rent the DVD of "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" and watch it twice - once straight through, and once with audio commentary and subtitle footnotes. Tons of interesting stuff on that film.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3059
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser,

Could you check your email? I didn't know how else to contact you.

Mauser765

Post Number: 679
Posted From: 4.229.93.175
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmich - are you asking about the prints still ? I have not gotten to them.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3062
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That, and something else. I just hadn't heard back from you since your original email to me on the 7th.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.